daisy's film and tv ramblings and reviews thread - Movies and TV Shows - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

daisy's film and tv ramblings and reviews thread

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6551 posts
  • Locationcreepin round skyrim, stealin ur sweet rolls

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:16 AM

i have a lot of free time on my hands and a lot of movies and tv shows on my watchlist, so i've made this thread just to talk about them i guess

gotta stop filling my rant thread with happy positive stuff. ew

no spoilers unless otherwise stated. feel free to chime in or argue

• angel404 likes this

giphy.gif

a sad little dingus in a chip bag

art dump | rant thread | film / tv shows thread

new zealand is my city

#2 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:57 AM

lion (2016)

This is the most recent film i watched, and I ABSOLUTELY FUCKING LOVED......... the first half.

Like, okay, sure, the whole thing was pretty great. It's a good story that's been executed really, really well. But the part where the main character is an adult is just kind of slow, and half the characters (namely the adopted brother and the girlfriend) seem completely pointless — but, of course, they had to be in there because it's based on a true story. The girlfriend in particular was just kind of... there. They met and were suddenly together, they had a couple of conversations, they broke up, and then they were suddenly back together again. End of story. There was no real character development. She was just meh. Same with the brother, who, apart from being The Problem Child™, had no real impact. At a stretch, I could say he highlighted the contrast between Saroo's two brothers and his relationship with each of them as well as being a representation of the long-term effects of the fucked-up life of street kids in India, but really the only reason he was there is because the real-life version of him exists. This half of the movie had its moments, of course, and it wasn't bad by any means — even if the whole movie was like that, it would still be pretty good — but just compared to the first half, which was spectacular, it wasn't that great. To be honest, most of the time I was more interested in how incredibly good-looking Dev Patel was. I was honestly drooling all over my computer screen like a muppet. Oh, and the Australian accent, which wasn't too bad. Every time I've seen him in a movie, he's had a different accent. I'm not entirely sure what his actual voice sounds like. I think British???? He was in Skins, wasn't he? But anyway. Back to the movie.

Okay, with the less-good half aside, oh my gooood, the first half was incredible. The cinematography was beautiful. The pacing was pretty much spot-on. The score was great. The child actor who played young Saroo was fucking amazing. And he was only 8 years old when it was filmed!! wtf??? Child actors are notoriously good at being fucking terrible and ruining their characters or the scenes they're in, but this kid was just awesome, honestly. I also loved the whole Slumdog Millionaire / A Series of Unfortunate Events vibe — where it's a collection of shitty events that happen to him along the road throughout his journey. I'm not going to spoil anything, but the parts where adults were being dicks were especially heartbreaking. It presented some really dark themes with just enough low-key creep to make you feel super unsettled but not enough to blatantly throw it in your face for shock value. I really appreciate that. As much as I love a good healthy dose of unnecessary shock, it just would have been tasteless in this film.

The ending was half happy and heartwarming and half sad and heartbreaking. I did cry lol. I don't really know what to say without spoiling it, though. It was just a nice, tidy resolution. It wasn't too drawn-out, and it wasn't too rushed. It wasn't too tragic, and it wasn't too cheesy. It was just... nice. idk.

I feel like I've mostly bitched about the bad parts in this post, but I do really like and recommend this film. It's a beautiful story and very well made.

• Eliena likes this

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#3 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:27 AM

rick and morty

just watched pickle rick lmao that one episode of an animated show was better and more creative with its violence than half the action movies out there where dudes just hide behind cars and desks and shoot guns and occasionally one gets hit in the face or something and that's about as interesting as it gets

i absolutely love shows that are allowed to just go crazy and do whatever fucking random nonsense comes into the writers' heads. cos that episode was wild. the character design of the amazing world of gumball is another example. i love that shit

• kuma likes this

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#4 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:15 PM

big hero 6 — *spoilers*

i guess i liked it, but i got really annoyed with all the cliches. i can't think of anything besides baymax himself that hasn't been done a million times before in a million different ways.

the characters weren't very interesting or well developed. the group of stereotypes — punk girl, sweet nerdy girl, token black guy, and college mascot slacker guy — was hurriedly introduced in the lab with their inventions, and that was that. there was no character development and nothing really interesting about any of them, except MAYBE fred. sort of. and only because of all the screen time he had and the fact that he was the comedic relief.

the dead parents who are only dead to emphasise the siblings' relationship is a boring stereotype. the greedy businessman who cuts corners to get what he wants is another one. the ragtag group of superheroes is another. the evil guy on a revenge quest because he lost a wife / daughter is yet another. baymax sacrificing himself to save hiro was the worst one because i knew it would happen from the start. he was too loveable, and they just had to have that sadness for the sake of sadness. it was like when dogs die in movies for no reason other than to make the audience cry. it was just pointless and irritating, especially since hiro brought him back almost immediately.

the animation was awesome, as disney's always is. the character design was just okay, though. yes, you could tell what a character was about by looking at them, and there was a good variation, but since the characters were so stereotypical, their design was too, and they were ultimately really forgettable. baymax was great, but he was the only one. the "be yourself" and "brains over brawn" messages were way too in-your-face and cheesy, and the humour was a bit safe, but that's just disney for you.

ultimately, the action was fun to watch and baymax was super cute. i did like it, but it wasn't anything special, and there is no way in hell it deserves that 7.8/10 rating on imdb. i would give it probably a 5 because it was just average. not terrible but not particularly great either. just meh. i kind of enjoyed watching it but wouldn't watch it again.

• brittlebeauty likes this

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#5 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:32 AM

just gonna copy / paste my game of thrones thoughts so far from my rant thread

7x01: dragonstone

Spoiler

7x02: stormborn

Spoiler

7x03: the queen's justice

Spoiler

7x04: the spoils of war

Spoiler

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#6 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:33 AM

game of thrones 7x05: eastwatch

Spoiler

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#7 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

deleted

was watching guardians of the galaxy and bitching about the pointless romance that seemed to be going on with quill and gamora because my inner sjw got out of her cage and wanted to complain about how of course the one female character in the entire film had to double as the love interest for the main hero.

but my internet was shit and i had to stop halfway through, so idk if the romance thing even happened in the end. it might have redeemed itself. idk. i'll finish watching it another time

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#8 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:02 AM

john wick (2014)

why do people love this film so much? i did it at work the other day, and it was literally the most cliche action movie i have ever seen in my entire life. it has virtually every action genre trope that exists:

• gruff, surly assassin / cop / spy / generic action hero who is retired
  • is bitter because he lost his wife / daughter
  • is on a revenge quest
  • russian bad guys (why are they always russian?)
  • car chase
  • car park / shipping yard shootout
  • nightclub / restaurant shootout
  • hero gets tied to a chair and beaten up by the baddies
  • Cool Guys Don't Look At Explosions
  • pointless hot action lady tries to kill him

i mean, it was still good. the action and the cinematography were brilliant, for starters, but the story was so weak

tbh though if i had his skill set and theon greyjoy killed my dog, i would do the same

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#9 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:14 AM

game of thrones 7x06: beyond the wall

(it's really long because holy shit what a wild episode)

Spoiler

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#10 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

the handmaiden (2016)

boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii it was fucking fantastic oh my lord

visually, it is goddamn BEAUTIFUL. but the story is even more compelling. there are only three main characters and basically no side characters, but they are all really interesting, and you genuinely do come to care about them. and you keep changing your mind about them too, like you'll think one character is a good guy, but then boom they're a sneaky asshole, but then boom they're actually nice again??????? and i fucking loved all the little (and big) plot twists that just turn everything around. it's two hours and 20 mins long, which is my only problem with it, and i think some of the run time could have been cut down if they just took out some scenes in the middle that are interesting but not entirely necessary. but who cares because it's definitely worth two hours of your time.

and i won't spoil it, but i'll just say i fucking loved the count's final scene in the film. as soon as he got given the cigarette i was like ohhhhhhhh shit i know what's about to go down

it's very sexual, which got super awkward (like omg the wet noises ew), but it totally fits the story and themes, so whatever. just don't watch it with your parents lol

• Skimpybones likes this

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#11 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:25 AM

GAME OF THRONES SEASON 7 FINALE

BUCKLE YA MOTHERFUCKIN SEAT BELTS

Spoiler

overall season 7 thoughts

to be perfectly honest, i thought this season was really weak. what makes game of thrones so good are the characters and their subtle maneuverings and the shocks of people dying unexpectedly, and you knew that no one was safe and shit could hit the fan at any moment. this season was so full of fan service that you just knew no one was going to die. the only major character death was littlefinger, and it was SO disappointing. he did sweet fuck all for the entire season and then died suddenly and randomly in a way that made no sense whatsoever. even jamie had two scenes where he could have — or SHOULD have — died, but of course he didn't. dany and jon's romance and jon being heir to the throne is just fan service. those two things were my biggest problem with this season. the second biggest was the boring "tell, don't show" exposition dumps that were written for a lazy dumb audience who need the story line shoved in their faces to understand it.

this season also took its huge budget and went to town on the visuals and completely neglected the writing. it turned into a generic fantasy adventure, and i could probably count all the major plot events on just one hand. don't get me wrong, i love seeing the dragons, and the battle scenes were AMAZING, but they really should have focused on a strong story and then based all the cool visual shit around that.

but i did like it, of course. i mean, it's fucking game of thrones. just because this was one of the worst seasons in my opinion doesn't mean it's BAD. it's still a bloody awesome show.

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#12 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:10 AM

in bruges (2008)

watching 'in bruges' rn and wow the people in the youtube comments were right when they said the trailer was fucking awful and didn't do the film justice

the three main actors are brilliant, and it's a lot darker than i thought it would be but still very funny and super charming in its own unique little way

edit: i finished watching it, but i don't really feel like saying much about it. partly because it was just a really good quirky dark comedy but partly cos i'm drunk. but yeah the trailer is shit, and the movie is actually really good. great writing. now i'm gonna watch something else

• owlishlyme likes this

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#13 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:16 AM

preacher

i am really not happy with season 2 so far (i'm about halfway through)

it's not as bad as season 3 of hannibal, which was a HUGE disappointment compared to the previous seasons, but i'm still not really enjoying it. they focus too much on the bullshit romance / drama of jesse and tulip, neither of whom i really give a shit about because they're both assholes. at this point i'm only watching because i love cassidy (and i lowkey have a crush on him, not gonna lie. i'm a sucker for an irish accent) and i also want to see what happens with eugene

the first season was fucking fantastic. i absolutely LOVED it oh my god. but this season is just a drag honestly. i would recommend the first season to literally anyone as long as they can handle graphic violence because it is funny and clever and unique and awesome, but then you can literally stop watching. just read the synopsis for each episode of season 2 so you know what happens story-wise, and bam. lovely.

i miss all the characters from the first season (especially the redneck guy who got his arm fucking snapped in half in the first episode — i forgot his name but he was my favourite — and the angels and the church lady. i'm kinda drunk so i forget all their names, but i miss them all. now the only character i like is cassidy. jesse and tulip are just arrogant assholes. the cowboy who was mysterious and badass in the first season now just seems like a braindead hulk type character whose only purpose is to be tough and to kill things. idk

spoiler for season 1 finale:

Spoiler

i hope it gets better because at the moment this season is a chore to get through, whereas the first season was an absolute joy

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#14 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:59 AM

i'm doing a disney movie called 'radio rebel' at work right now, and it is sooooo bad. the acting is awful, and the writing is even worse. honestly, who wrote this absolute shite? why on earth would a principal give a shit about one of her students having a radio show in her free time???? and how the fuck is that somehow grounds to expel her???????? in real life, a principal would be proud of having a student who's that successful and would make a point to highlight it. the show / podcast isn't even disrupting kids at all in class?? it's like they needed an antagonist and the generic popular bitch wasn't enough, so they threw in a generic evil principal with no realistic or even clear motivations whatsoever. this is so damn stupid i hate it

edit: what the fuck how on earth does that stacy get the idea that tara is radio rebel just because of one statement that is used often and could EASILY be a coincidence? as far as she knows, there is no way in hell it could be tara because she's so shy. why would she even consider it???? and then how the fuck is her mum saying "tara was right about being in two places at once" in any way proof that it's her? that is so fucking obscure. her stepdad literally works there. she's there all the time. she's friends with the other dj. what the fuck

this writing is sooooo fuckingggg baddddd

edit 2: lmaooo she looks ridiculous in that prom "outfit" why are they all like wow ur beautiful

edit 3: okay and the whole 'everyone claiming to be the culprit because you can't punish everyone and therefore the culprit gets off free' trope doesn't work here. she's literally admitted it. she has the microphone. this is bullshit

edit 4: jesus christ it ended on a freeze frame. just kill me
  • skinnamongirl_ likes this

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#15 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:09 AM

fuck it, i'm into star vs the forces of evil now

i've done a bunch of episodes at work, and i did the second-to-last episode of season 2 today. it ended on a cliffhanger, so of course i have to go watch the next one at home. but then i feel like i need to see the build-up to the cliffhanger moments because there are some things i don't understand, so now i'm watching the whole series from 1x01 because what else am i going to do with my life

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#16 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

i literally just watched all three seasons of star vs the forces of evil in the past two nights. i actually love it omg but now i have to wait for season 4 /: at least it didn't end on a cliffhanger. well, sort of. it introduced a new villain, but that was it

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#17 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:59 PM

I got really annoyed when I saw the teaser for season 4 with star and tom dancing at some kind of ball thing because obviously I want her and Marco to be together, but now I'm like wait a second. that would actually be awesome -- since Marco is with Jackie, put star with tom, and then maybe marco could get jealous and realise his feelings or whatever. I'm a big fan of that trope, as cheesy as it is

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#18 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:34 AM

oh my god there's a my little pony movie coming out

i can just see all the creepy neckbeards sitting in the back of the theatre that's otherwise filled with little kids and parents

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#19 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:12 AM

finally watching house of cards

edit: lots of white people in this show

edit 2: good tho

lmaooo i fucking love when kevin spacey does the classic jim halpert "do you see this shit" look into the camera

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#20 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:38 AM