daisy's film and tv ramblings and reviews thread - Page 3 - Movies and TV Shows - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

daisy's film and tv ramblings and reviews thread

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6551 posts
  • Locationcreepin round skyrim, stealin ur sweet rolls

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:40 AM

boardwalk empire season 4 bitching

4x07

Spoiler

4x08

Spoiler

giphy.gif

a sad little dingus in a chip bag

art dump | rant thread | film / tv shows thread

new zealand is my city

#42 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:31 AM

who tf thought the hand raising thing in the hunger games movies was a good idea

when it's not a close up on the fingers, they look like they're doing a fuckin nazi salute seriously

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#43 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:01 AM

OH MY GOD THE NEW STAR VS THE FORCES OF EVIL EPISODES ARE OUT ON KISSCARTOON YESSSSS

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#44 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:10 AM

why is marco's $650 running gag so fucking funny

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#45 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

star vs the forces of evil 3x12

Spoiler

i am so hype for the holiday special. they've never done one of those before i don't think???? like there was a halloween episode, but that was just a regular episode that happened to be halloween-themed. i hope we get a long or extra special one. i'm assuming it's the season finale? it's hard to tell with this show because there's so little info online and this season has been all over the place with the most irregular episode schedule ever

the imdb page says "eclipsa's dark spells are invited to an office holiday party", which sounds like it's going to be the same kind of thing as spider with a top hat but the evil version?? oooooh

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#46 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:09 PM

every time i do the walking dead at work i can see what they're going for with trying to make negan scary but all i see is john winchester so he just makes me go "awww" instead or laugh when he tries to be tough lmao

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#47 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:32 AM

boardwalk empire 4x09

Spoiler

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#48 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:12 AM

i was so excited to watch the season finale / holiday special of star vs the forces of evil but it was so disappointing it was just a regular episode and literally nothing happened

i just want to see more starco pls omg

and eclipsa

but mainly starco

i'm a simple woman. just give me something a bit more than monster-of-the-week

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#49 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:22 AM

boardwalk empire MAJOR spoilers ahead

4x11

Spoiler

4x12

Spoiler

i just noticed season 5, the final season, is only eight episodes instead of 12. ew

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#50 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:11 AM

boardwalk empire

5x01

Spoiler

5x02

Spoiler

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#51 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:03 AM

FINALLY i got to do an episode of the walking dead at work that had steven ogg in it. dude i was seriously fangirling

i think it was the mid-season finale but honestly nothing even happened throughout the entire hour i swear to god. well, except for...

Spoiler

i am seriously rooting for negan to win. there is no way in hell that's happening bc fan service etc but still. it would be cool. i just love jeffrey dean morgan

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#52 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:53 AM

i'm watching 'the end of the f***ing wold' on netflix

it's an edgy teen dark comedy drama type thing, so it could be really cringey and cliche and awful or it could be pretty good

edit: i'm actually kinda liking it so far. it's not super good like the voice-overs are lazy and the story is a bit cliche but it's funny

random thoughts:

1x01

Spoiler

1x03

Spoiler

1x04

Spoiler

1x05

Spoiler

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#53 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:26 AM

i should be finishing boardwalk empire because i've only got like four episodes left of the entire series

or catching up on supernatural because i'm like four or five seasons behind

but no.... i'm starting another new show

i'm watching the handmaid's tale (just finished the first episode) and so far it's really bloody good i can't believe i put off watching it until now. the only thing is that it makes me so angry because of the whole religion thing and it's really sad as well like if i was in that position, being a handmaid in that world, i would be trying to commit suicide every second of the day like jfc how do they live like that

1x02

Spoiler

1x03

Spoiler

1x04

Spoiler

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#54 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:17 AM

i really wish i'd read the handmaid's tale before watching it

edit: never mind. i've started reading the book and honestly???? i NEVER say this, but... the show is better. so far, at least. why the fuck does margaret atwood feel the need to go into such extreme detail about the most pointless things — i don't need a metaphor for the bloody staircase okay it's just a staircase we get it — it slows down the pacing so much and really takes you out of the action. i love descriptive writing as much as the next person, but this is just so incredibly excessive. in the show, she spends two seconds talking about the things in her room. in the book, it takes up like the whole fucking first page of the chapter. describe what's in the room so we understand that it's plain and simple and not flashy, cool, but don't take up two bloody paragraphs to talk about the rug on the floor oh my god

1x10

Spoiler

the only problem i have with this show is sometimes the dialogue, esp. in voiceovers, is so cheesy

actually also sometimes the music is really strange and doesn't fit, like tom petty's 'american girl' at the end of this episode????????? so weird

but that's literally it. two minor af issues. it's SO good. i can't believe i kept seeing it around and read the description on imdb and thought mehhh that doesn't really sound like my thing

now i have to wait until bloody april for the next season

AND it will be out weekly, so i won't be able to binge watch it. i can't watch shows weekly because i always forget. i mean they do have the "previously on" segment, but still.

ughhhhhh first world problems

i can't decide whether i should read the book now or wait for the show to end and then read the book. normally i'd be like yes book first 100% but since i've already started watching the show idk.. also since the show is so damn good on a technical level like with the atmosphere and acting and everything it kind of makes the plot twists and dramatic moments have more impact

maybe i'll flip a coin. or see how much it is on kindle and read it if it's under $10 or something

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#55 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:21 AM

watched two movies in the past two days:

call me by your name

it was good. not fantastic, but better than average. it's got really high scores on imdb and metacritic, but i didn't think it was THAT good. i mean it didn't help that i had to watch it on a shitty illegal streaming site because i'm broke and there were no good links, so the quality was bad and at times it would buffer a lot, which took me out of it, plus the low quality made it look like it was actually made in the '80s as well as set there. some of the scenes were so bloody awkward (with the peach lmaooo wtf), but it was a nice story and i loved how it wasn't your typical shitty gay romance, i.e. full of homophobia or self-hatred / denial. i really liked that it didn't even matter that it was two guys. it could have been a guy and a girl or two girls and nothing much would change, which is fantastic. i didn't like the ending, though (in spoiler). 

i bought the book and was a third of the way through it when i watched the film, so hopefully i'll be motivated to finish reading it and maybe i'll like it better. i'm not sure because the book is told as if through memories, which i usually don't like because it's not as immersive, but who knows. i'll try to finish it.

Spoiler

la la land

i liked la la land, but again, it wasn't that great. the music was awesome and it was soooo pretty. what i didn't like — again — was the ending. i genuinely thought it was going to have a lovely cheesy happily ever after because the whole film is so cute and cheesy, but that didn't happen?????? oh well. also the story is cliche and mediocre, although it doesn't really matter because what makes it good is the music and the visuals.

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#56 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:37 AM

oh also at work this week i've done the first two episodes of this new british drama mini series called 'innocent' about a guy who's just come out of jail after seven years because they thought he killed his wife but there wasn't enough evidence or something so he was let out on a technicality and now he's struggling to get his kids and life back and a new team of police officers are restarting the investigation to try find out what truly happened

i usually hate these kinds of slow dramas, but i am hoenstly enjoying this. it's so compelling and the characters are quite good and i just want to find out who tf killed the wife. they're setting it up as if it could have been anyone and everyone. if i don't end up doing the whole series at work, i will legit watch it on my own time

edit: i ended up doing every episode at work, and it was really great. i didn't like the ending, though, because there was no build-up to it and no logic except for a hurried explanation like a bond villain explaining his entire plan. it was still a great miniseries, though. highly recommend

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#57 Guest_beautyinthebreakdownxo_*

Guest_beautyinthebreakdownxo_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:57 PM

i really wish i'd read the handmaid's tale before watching it

edit: never mind. i've started reading the book and honestly???? i NEVER say this, but... the show is better. so far, at least. why the fuck does margaret atwood feel the need to go into such extreme detail about the most pointless things — i don't need a metaphor for the bloody staircase okay it's just a staircase we get it — it slows down the pacing so much and really takes you out of the action. i love descriptive writing as much as the next person, but this is just so incredibly excessive. in the show, she spends two seconds talking about the things in her room. in the book, it takes up like the whole fucking first page of the chapter. describe what's in the room so we understand that it's plain and simple and not flashy, cool, but don't take up two bloody paragraphs to talk about the rug on the floor oh my god

It's not a horrible book, but by god is it tough to read, sometimes her manner of writing is hard to follow even towards the end of the 300+ page book. I finished it, and the part where they're at Jezebels... I reread Moira's story like 3 times and I STILL don't understand what happened, I'm hoping the show did a better job (I haven't gotten that far yet).

I haven't finished the TV show yet, I started it back in the summer but due to how I was watching it (on my mom's iPad while on vacation, and her iPad had annoyingly limited amounts of space so I could only have 2 or 3 episodes at a time on it before it refused to download more because of lack of space - once I got on the plane [from Tokyo to home/Canada] I didn't have wifi again and then when I got home I got distracted with other life stuff) I never finished it. It's still on my list, but anyways my point is while I haven't seen all of it from what I've seen the show is 1000x better than the source material. I feel like the way they've laid the foundations of how Gilead came to be was more realistic, more scary, because in the book the way she jumped between times was hard to follow and the way she wrote about women losing their freedoms wasn't as impactful. For example, in the book when all Atwood did was write 1-2 sentences "it started as no longer being allowed to work..." or "then the male authority figure in our lives became the name on our bank accounts so we couldn't access them anymore", the show actually SHOWED Offred losing her job (instead of just stating "it started as no longer being allowed to work..."), with the soldiers coming in and the boss being terrified of the ramifications if they don't leave, they actually showed women holding rallies to fight back instead of implying they're just letting it all happen (and the soldiers responding to that), that actually had an impact, that's... tangible. That's realistic. I dunno. It's hard to explain, but basically there's maybe one or two moments in the book that are amazing and I would recommend reading (and even then, all you'd have to do is find the moment in the book you don't need to read the whole thing for it to not be great, the one scene that comes to mind is literally one where Offred's on one of her walks) but beyond that meh. Too much metaphor. Metaphor is good, but a book can't all be metaphor or it gets drab

• daisy -ㅅ- likes this

#58 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:38 AM

i'm so exciteeeeeeeed

star vs the forces of evil is back

i'm watching the newest episode and rhys darby is in it lmao whenever i hear him in something first i'm like ooh! that's rhys darby! go new zealand! and from then on i just can't hear the character all i hear is rhys darby

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#59 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:47 AM

i've finally started watching the x-files and first of all i love it so much but second of all i'm up to the episode called "fire" and i knew i'd seen the bad guy before but i couldn't for the life of me place him and when i looked on the imdb page it was fucking mark sheppard!!!!! crowley! lmao he looked so young and thin in 1994 i barely recognised him and for some reason didn't recognise his voice either (i suppose because he puts on a much more gruff voice in supernatural). he's great. my mum and i named one of our cats crowley because he's such a cool character and the cat's personality is loveable-and-adorable-yet-evil

so far my favourite episode is "ice". that was fantastic. i love love love the psychological stuff. plus when scully checked mulder's neck for the parasite and then he like grabs her as she's leaving to check hers.... *fans self* is it just me or was the sexual tension unreal

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

#60 daisy -ㅅ-

daisy -ㅅ-

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6551 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:57 AM

It's not a horrible book, but by god is it tough to read, sometimes her manner of writing is hard to follow even towards the end of the 300+ page book. I finished it, and the part where they're at Jezebels... I reread Moira's story like 3 times and I STILL don't understand what happened, I'm hoping the show did a better job (I haven't gotten that far yet).

I haven't finished the TV show yet, I started it back in the summer but due to how I was watching it (on my mom's iPad while on vacation, and her iPad had annoyingly limited amounts of space so I could only have 2 or 3 episodes at a time on it before it refused to download more because of lack of space - once I got on the plane [from Tokyo to home/Canada] I didn't have wifi again and then when I got home I got distracted with other life stuff) I never finished it. It's still on my list, but anyways my point is while I haven't seen all of it from what I've seen the show is 1000x better than the source material. I feel like the way they've laid the foundations of how Gilead came to be was more realistic, more scary, because in the book the way she jumped between times was hard to follow and the way she wrote about women losing their freedoms wasn't as impactful. For example, in the book when all Atwood did was write 1-2 sentences "it started as no longer being allowed to work..." or "then the male authority figure in our lives became the name on our bank accounts so we couldn't access them anymore", the show actually SHOWED Offred losing her job (instead of just stating "it started as no longer being allowed to work..."), with the soldiers coming in and the boss being terrified of the ramifications if they don't leave, they actually showed women holding rallies to fight back instead of implying they're just letting it all happen (and the soldiers responding to that), that actually had an impact, that's... tangible. That's realistic. I dunno. It's hard to explain, but basically there's maybe one or two moments in the book that are amazing and I would recommend reading (and even then, all you'd have to do is find the moment in the book you don't need to read the whole thing for it to not be great, the one scene that comes to mind is literally one where Offred's on one of her walks) but beyond that meh. Too much metaphor. Metaphor is good, but a book can't all be metaphor or it gets drab

yeah i read the kindle sample and honestly even that was hard to get through, so there's no way i'm going to buy the full book. the show is honestly so fantastic. it's one of those rare adaptations that are better than the book (well, the sample. i can't speak for the entire book). the only other example i can think of is the shawshank redemption, and even that was just because the book was only a novella, so it was short and didn't go into as much detail, plus you didn't get the fantastic acting and directing that the movie had which really made it stand out as a masterpiece

but yeah i like beautiful descriptive almost-poetic writing, but so far i've found margaret attwood just waaaaay too extra with it. her writing seems to be very slow-paced and tedious. in a story as unique and exciting as the handmaid's tale, i would expect there to be more action and for it to be more like a series of interesting scenes rather than diary-like back-and-forth timeline rambling,especially because it's set in a dystopian world

giphy.gif

new zealand is my city

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users