Mono Experiment Results of 'Risky' Foods - Page 15 - Mono diet - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Mono Experiment Results of 'Risky' Foods

mono diet experiment results chocolate risky fear foods weight loss weekly weekend

• Please log in to reply
391 replies to this topic

#281 tag bank

tag bank

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 06:30 AM

It’s very comforting to know you’re still losing ^^ notice any difference in how clothes are fitting?
I don’t even know wtf I’m doing here anymore

#282 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15385 posts
  • LocationNot Flirting With You from The Twisted Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:38 AM

GALAXY SALTED CARAMEL CHOCOLATE (DAY 6)

SW: 53.6kg
BF% 23.3 (12.5kg)

Intake: 405g Galaxy Salted Caramel filled bar
Packagaing: Recyclable. Paper outer and inner. 
Sustainability: Totally not. Owned by Mars. No Rainforest Alliance or Fairtrade mark. Contains palm oil.

Water: 3.5L

Cost: £3
Cals In: 1988
Cals Out: 2206
BM: Yes

Spoiler

RESULTS:

CW: 53.6kg
No change
BF% 23.5 (12.59kgs)
+0.09kg Fat

NOTES:

I thought because the bars came in 135g I would be eating more cals than other days but today was under 2000 and because I have been really active all week including my 3x a week gym sessions I actually burned slightly more than I ate.
I felt fine as usual. I woke up in the night with stomach pains but this is fairly usual for me and I couldn't reasonably conclude that the chocolate mono caused this. EDIT: I just remembered that I took 2 senna tablets to deal with the slight constipation when I switched from white to milk chocolate. It's likely the stomach pain was this.

I feel like I've had enough energy to do everything I need (and SO MUCH TIME! Seriously, I spend such a lot of time either meal planning and prepping, or collecting binge foods, eating, purging, and cleaning up. This week I have been on a roll with my task lists!) I would say that thought I have been anxious and depressed at times, I am less so than at the start of the week, again I don't think this is the chocolate mono, I think this is a cyclic hormone problem for me and also having fulfilled a lot of my responsibilities helps me combat those. So in that respect monos take away a lot of choice, which drains my energy, leaving more to do other things.

CONCLUSION:
Maintained. Either the caramel ruins a chocolate mono, or 6 days is the limit for me to lose on a continuous mono.

The Abyss: Through-the-Twisted-Kingdom
Fae's Fantastic Guide To Flirting: Fabulous Fuck-ups & How To Avoid Them (A.K.A Awkward Aspie Anecdotes & Appalling Alliteration)

Fae Tales & Spoken Word Poetryhttps://www.youtube.com/user/TheVioletRaven/
"I am a Titan. A Monolith. Nothing can stop me." ~ "Not finished yet. Still have work to do."

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#283 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 15385 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:45 AM

I'm calling it quits at 6 days. I feel like I can't afford the emotional turmoil if I started gaining at this point purely because I stayed on the chocolate mono for 7 days to make a whole week.

I haven't totally sickened myself of chocolate yet but I feel I've reached the point where I want to get some decent nutrients in my body, pro- and pre-biotics into my gut and to treat my digestion a bit better. I will be returning to chocolate monos, probably very soon, because there are a few more kinds that I want to try and I bought 2 days worth of Thornton's chocolate on offer in case I wanted to continue through the whole weekend. I am actually looking forward to those, but after a break.

I can't afford to compromise the weight loss I have already achieved. I feel a this point the water and food weight loss have levelled out and I won't be getting any further benefit my staying on it. It's been an amazing mood boost to see the weight fall off every day, and I feel a lot safer, only 1.4kg away from my first safe weight.

I am going to do a whole week (at least the 6 days) overview of cals in and out to see what the final totals are. I will also update how I break the mono and how much weight goes back on after. I plan to break with watermelon, strawberries and some veg as well as slim rice which usually helps my digestion along. I will keep cals low and be doing a lot of self care over the weekend to make sure I don't have any emotional binges.

Thanks for following me through this!

• Zenthereal likes this

Fae's Fantastic Guide To Flirting: Fabulous Fuck-ups & How To Avoid Them (A.K.A Awkward Aspie Anecdotes & Appalling Alliteration)

"I am a Titan. A Monolith. Nothing can stop me." ~ "Not finished yet. Still have work to do."

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#284 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 15385 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:48 AM

It’s very comforting to know you’re still losing ^^ notice any difference in how clothes are fitting?

Yes! I have these trousers that have elastic and a tie cord, I had taken the tie cord out because I felt like they wouldn't get loose enough to need it and it was annoying. Yesterday when I put my keys and phone on my pocket they were practically falling off! They have fit fairly tight over the summer. I wish I had taken measurements but I stopped when I gained the last few kgs as I didn't want to depress myself haha.

I feel a bit more comfortable in myself and how my clothes are esp by gym leggings. I have a bit of a tummy pooch still but I think that's just where the fat settled this cycle and if I keep going it will shift eventually :)

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#285 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 15385 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 05:22 AM

6 DAY CHOCOLATE MONO RESULTS

SW: 55.8kg
CW: 53.6kg
Loss: 2.2kgs

Intake: 200g-400g chocolate, split into 3 'meals' per day
Cals In: 12,938
Cals Out: 12,856
Excess cals: +82

I calculated all the cals from the week to see if I was eating at a deficit seeing as my cal expenditure was much higher than usual.
I was not, I ate 82 cals more than I burned over the whole 6 days so theoretically I should have maintained.

The only explanation I can come up with is that because I was only eating an average of 300g food per day, I lost all the food weight I would usually be carrying and the water weight as well. If you think about how many grams of food you might be carrying at a time it could pretty easily account for 2.2kg eating low cal high volume foods like lots of fruit and veg, or grains which contain more carbs so your body stores more glycogen and water in the liver.

I do not have a satisfactory answer to why this works, and I will be quite surprised (and pleased) if I don't gain weight back when I break this mono.

If I were ever to do that again I would definitely take my fat% at the beginning and end and water% to see for certain if I lost any weight as fat.

• MadForGarlic and procelainBb like this

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#286 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 15385 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:43 AM

POST-CHOCOLATE MONO RESULTS

Weight after 6 day chocolate mono: 53.6kg

Weight after 2 days 'normal' eating: 53.8kg
Gain: 0.2kg
Total loss: 2kgs in 8 days, 6 days chocolate mono, 2 days eating 'normally'

Intake Day 1:

Broke the mono with 450g watermelon over the course of the afternoon
Slim rice, nutritional yeast, tomato puree with salt and spices
4 oatcakes with pesto and cheese

2 slice spelt olive bread with butter

2 nakd bars with 1 tbsp peanut butter
(No BM, took 2 senna)

Intake Day 2:

300g watermelon

300g watermelon
Slim rice + nutritional yeast
1 slice of cheese, 1 slice of salami + pesto

2 nakd bars with 1 tbsp peanut butter
(BM)

Notes:

As you can see I didn't keep below a cal limit, I felt a bit bingey when I had the option of variety and though I planned to only eat fruits, veg and maybe a small amount of protein, I ended up impulse eating oatcakes and spelt bread, high fat food like cheese, pesto, butter and peanut butter. In spite of this, I don't seem to be carrying a lot of water and food weight as I would have expected. My fat% is still the same.

I have to say I am very surprised by this, and will keep in mind as a last resort if I am struggling with cravings or I need to lose a lot in a short time. This is pretty close the the weight loss I would experience on a fast of the same length.

I would still never recommend anyone to do it themselves, there could be long term health consequences I am unaware of, and I don't know how individual bodies would react. 

I hope this has been interesting for you all!

I will be back with more 1-3 day monos towards the end of the week.

• Zenthereal and MadForGarlic like this

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#287 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 15385 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:49 AM

Things were going pretty well weight wise after my mono, but I b/p for 2 days and gained from that. Probably food and water but let's see how a mono will affect it.

Today Lindor White Chocolate, which I searched everywhere for last week and couldn't find.
  • Zenthereal likes this

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#288 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 15385 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:24 AM

I didn't really expect this to work again, but it did! Down by 0.8kg! I'll do a full report later today.

Today's mono is Milka Noisette (milk choc with hazelnut paste)

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#289 Samantha1994

Samantha1994

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:07 PM

When you do your monos do you only drink water or do you drink tea/coffee aswell?

I really want to do a mono but I need atleast 2-3 cups of tea everyday lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Female | 23 years old
Height: 161cm
Highest weight: 71kg / 156.5lbs
Current weight: 38.8kg / 86lbs
Bmi: 15

Accountabity:
http://www.myproana..../#entry46114226

#290 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 15385 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:21 PM

When you do your monos do you only drink water or do you drink tea/coffee aswell?

I really want to do a mono but I need atleast 2-3 cups of tea everyday lol

I don't drink coffee but I do drink tea since I don't steep it very long and it's always very weak and dilute. I drink my tea by the pint and wouldn't survive without it! I've had a huge variety of herbal teas and it's never affected it. I tried the only water thing the first few times and then decided that it probably wouldn't affect it. I don't know about coffee since there would be more particles of actual substance in it?

I did a chocolate mono I haven't put up yet and it was a no-effect one, I think that was because I forgot and drank a bottle of lucozade zero. I have fasted and when I drank carbonated drinks the same thing happened to I'm guessing there's something about fluid retention that happens when I drink diet soft drinks.

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#291 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 15385 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:22 PM

Hello mono forum!

I totally forgot to get my results up and it's been a horrible stressful week (wait it's only Tuesday?!) but - I have results to update.

I did a midweek one because I was impatient so I'll do them in chronological order.

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#292 Samantha1994

Samantha1994

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:32 PM

I don't drink coffee but I do drink tea since I don't steep it very long and it's always very weak and dilute. I drink my tea by the pint and wouldn't survive without it! I've had a huge variety of herbal teas and it's never affected it. I tried the only water thing the first few times and then decided that it probably wouldn't affect it. I don't know about coffee since there would be more particles of actual substance in it?

I did a chocolate mono I haven't put up yet and it was a no-effect one, I think that was because I forgot and drank a bottle of lucozade zero. I have fasted and when I drank carbonated drinks the same thing happened to I'm guessing there's something about fluid retention that happens when I drink diet soft drinks.

Awesome, I don’t drink coffee either but do drink tea. I might try a chocolate one soon and see how it goes.

Female | 23 years old
Height: 161cm
Highest weight: 71kg / 156.5lbs
Current weight: 38.8kg / 86lbs
Bmi: 15

Accountabity:
http://www.myproana..../#entry46114226

#293 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 15385 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:07 PM

Awesome, I don’t drink coffee either but do drink tea. I might try a chocolate one soon and see how it goes.

Good luck if you do! Probably not the healthiest thing to do long term but as one off's it's been pretty successful for me as a kind of reset.

• Samantha1994 likes this

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#294 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 15385 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:47 AM

MILKA ALPINE MILK CHOCOLATE MONO

SW: 53.8kg

Intake: 270g Milka Alpine Milk Chocolate Bar (plus 1 bottle lucozade pink zero, oops)
Packagaing: Recyclable. Paper outer and inner. 
Sustainability: Totally not. Owned by Mars. No Rainforest Alliance or Fairtrade mark. Contains palm oil.

Water: 3L

Cost: £2.99
Cals In: 1428
Cals Out: 2079

RESULTS:

CW: 53.8kg
No change

NOTES:

I basically started this day as a fast, drank lots of fluids including the lucozade, and then found a 270g bar of chocolate and decided to mono at about 6pm. This isn't a scientific experiment because I did so many things differently to the previous ones. However I wanted to include it because it shows that I maintain when I drink carbonated drinks, this also happens to me when fasting. I think this indicates that there is a lot more to do with fluid retention when looking at daily fluctuations, and we really need to look at long term trends to see any kind of accurate results. I was actually on quite a deficit since I didn't eat as much as usual, interesting that I didn't lose at all, given that my cals were lower, and the volume was lower.

CONCLUSION:
Drinking soda may affect monos, won't be doing it again at any rate.

• Zenthereal likes this

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#295 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 15385 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:58 AM

LINDT LINDOR WHITE CHOCOLATE MONO (DAY 1)

SW: 54.8kg

Intake: 320g Lindor White Filled Chocolate
Packagaing: Recyclable. Paper outer, foil inner. 
Sustainability: Lindt Sustainability (link). Contains palm oil.

Cost: £7.16 (should have been £5.37 for 300g but bf ate some and I had to buy more)
Cals In: 2070
Cals Out: 1955
BM: No

RESULTS:

CW: 54kg
-0.8kg (1.7lbs)

NOTES:

You'd think I would be done with chocolate but I fixated so much on finding this particular kind that when I saw some I wanted to try it out. It was really good, not sickening like I expected, though this is worrying me because I don't want to become even more addicted to junk food, I want to crave health food after monos.

CONCLUSION:
Pretty certain white choc monos are going to work every time, but bear in mind I had gained 1kg due to binging immediately prior to this. What I lost is very likely the binge weight.

• Zenthereal and MadForGarlic like this

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#296 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 15385 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:10 AM

MILKA NOISETTE CHOCOLATE MONO (DAY 2)

SW: 54kg

Intake: 300g Milka Noisette (hazelnut paste) milk chocolate.
Packagaing: Plastic (05/PP) 
Sustainability: Probably not, packaging was in Polish so I can't read it.

Cost: £2.98
Cals In: 1647
Cals Out: 2057

RESULTS:

CW: 53.8kg
-0.2kg (0.44lbs)

NOTES:

Again, quite enjoyed this one. One of the great parts of monos is no decisions, no cleaning, no dishes. I feel a lot calmer because I am not constantly revolving around food, all I have to do is remember to eat something small and quick a few times a day. I have been chewing a lot of dental gum just to make my mouth feel clean and ensure I am minimising any tooth damage.
I'm going to try to stick to moderate restriction all week, I might add a report of the previous week to future mono results so that you can see the likelyhood that it's simply food weight being lost, water weight being re-distributed. I'll also try to keep using my scales with the fat% reading but I was away for the weekend so I couldn't get that info this time round.

CONCLUSION:
Back to pre-binge weight after 2 days. As you can see I was in deficit again though. Smooth nut praline chocolate seems to be a safe bet nonetheless. Once I get a regular pattern of weekday intake to be more even I think the results will be more accurate.

• Zenthereal likes this

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#297 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 15385 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:45 AM

This weekend I'm planning a 2 day Thornton's filled chocolate mono.

I also bought some really cheap vegan Halo Top (99p!!) so I can do that again whenever I feel like it.

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#298 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 15385 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 12:53 PM

My week hasn't gone to plan. I did stick to my plan of restriction but also had several b/p episodes. So my weight was staying stable at 53.8kg and then after b/p most of yesterday I'm up to 54.4kg. This means that while I may lose doing a weekend chocolate mono, I will probably be losing only the water and food weight I gained from binging.

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#299 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 15385 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 12:57 PM

Today's mono is Thornton's cappuccino truffles. A little apprehensive about this one since it's a mix of white chocolate and the cocoa milk choc filling, plus that it contains coffee I'm not sure about the caffeine content. And when I did it before I maintained but that might have been because my scheduling was off.

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#300 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 15385 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:47 AM

THORNTON'S CAPPUCCINO TRUFFLE MONO (DAY 1)

SW: 54.4kg

Intake: 291g (3x 97g bags)
Packagaing: Plastic unmarked 
Sustainability: Contains palm oil

Water: 2.5L

Cost: £8
Cals In: 1638
Cals Out: 1709

RESULTS:

CW: 53.9kg
-0.5kg (1.1lbs)

NOTES:

Simple and easy to follow. No dishes, no other options, exactly the break I needed after a week of b/p compulsions. I have to reiterate though, the weight I lost is only the weight I gained over 2 days binging. Still a win, but I feel that's relevant info. I was in deficit but barely. I think it's all just water and food weight again.

CONCLUSION:
Truffles, even with a filling that doesn't match the coating, are totally safe, exactly the same as all the other chocolates I've tried.

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mono, diet, experiment, results, chocolate, risky, fear foods, weight loss, weekly, weekend

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users