Supersize vs Superskinny - notes/observations of the skinnies - Movies and TV Shows - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Supersize vs Superskinny - notes/observations of the skinnies

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 waify

waify

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

Heyo

Sorry if there are already 1283925879 threads on this show

just wanted to make a thread where I can take notes on why the skinnies are so skinny. 

I watched every season about a year ago but I want to rewatch it a bit more carefully and just observe their habits and lifestyles.

Share any observations you have had from watching!

Season links for quick access:

Season 1: https://www.youtube....05144143271DDB0

Season 2: https://www.youtube....FpV2kboiXXmmoz5

Season 3: https://www.youtube....nUaYSPvVRNQCBDB

Season 4: https://www.youtube....ED52rWUeypvqzZd

Season 5: https://www.youtube....nO5ZQHVXu1_quBZ

Season 6: https://www.youtube....SPRCLsvWdFfnib7

Season 7: https://www.youtube....bFZQ_p0NvOW9NYt

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• 93pounds, devers11, rutten and 15 others like this

5'11" • BMI 18 • HW: 136 • LW: 117 • SW: 128 • CW: 128 • GW: 115

ongoing thread overanalyzing every episode of supersize vs superskinny

anorexia history & lore thread

#2 waify

waify

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

106862_thumb.jpg

85cca43d3eeac342d0fcd6a3662833c0.gif

558da99144366b4c1712f9d23ed3d4e7.gif

S01E01 - Tatiana Moxey

Stats: 19. 22" waist. 93 lbs. BMI 15. 1400 cal/day.

'Week's worth of food' Tube: Toast. Cereal. Tea. Sandwich. Some potatoes. Soup. A bit of chicken leg. A bit of salad.

Breakfast: This Alpen Light Cereal bar (70), on another day it was a plain bagel with very light spread of cream cheese.
Lunch: Pasta
Dinner: Soup. (golden lentil or butternut squash?)

Quotes:

• "On a typical day I would probably have a cereal bar or toast for breakfast. I would probably just have a jacket potato with tuna for lunch with a salad."
  • "She rarely finishes what's on her plate."
  • "We normally serve her a full plateful but she'll only eat about a quarter of that or perhaps even half." - Her dad.
  • "The 19 year old who grew up in Portugal and turns her nose up at any food that isn't home made."
  • "I think I eat a lot more food when I'm in Portugal because I prefer the food. I went on holiday to Portugal and I feel like when I go there I put on a little more weight than I do here, and as soon as I come back to England, I'm like this again."
  • "I hate brie and there was loads of butter in it [sandwich]. I feel really sick. It was probably the worst meal I've ever eaten."
  • "I didn't do very well with the late night meals last night because I was so tired that I ended up falling asleep while I tried to eat it."
  • "Tatiana is a martial arts expert [jiu jitsu]."
  • "Now, after being here for a few days, I wouldn't have eaten just the soup. If I'd have eaten the soup, I would still be hungry."

• CoffeeAddictLilly, rutten, Hazle Weatherfield and 9 others like this

#3 Guest_no brainer_*

Guest_no brainer_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

giphy.gif

how can he not enjoy food :( we can change appetites lol

• rutten, YouDon'tKnowMe, waify and 1 other like this

#4 praythestars

praythestars

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

Subbed

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
  • FairyMermaid13 and waify like this

katie-matlin-cant-tell-me-nothing-part-1

tumblr_n9hvfjNxcl1qatd7ho1_500.gif

#5 waify

waify

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

how can he not enjoy food :( we can change appetites lol

RIGHT?? ugh. silly me thought all humans were biologically wired to enjoy food - guess not!  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

definitely a maddening gif, figured it belonged at the top of the thread  ;)

Gonna try to understand these superhuman beings once and for all

• YouDon'tKnowMe, Darkness1, SarahAteTrent and 1 other like this

#6 Gay Alien

Gay Alien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPluto

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:26 PM

Followed
  • waify likes this

#7 waify

waify

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:46 AM

de736e4bfb36b222a571b80cb18fe93d.jpg

4590502bf80fda1aea1d403c795990c5--season

hqdefault.jpg

S01E02 - Yasmin Smith

Stats: 24" waist. 109 lbs. BMI 17. 1300 cal/day.
'Week's worth of food' Tube: Rice cakes. Fruit. Strawberries. Salad. Chicken legs. Avocados. Smoothies. Chicken breasts. Rice pasta. Steaks. Carrots. Bananas. 
Breakfast: 4 rice cakes with jam / or / honeydew melon with parma ham
Lunch: Fruit smoothie
Dinner: Chicken & avocado salad. (dressed with cucumber, tomato, corn.) / or / some kind of chicken based dinner with a side of green veg (zucchini?)

Snack: Raisins (I eat about half at most.) "More fruits. fresh fruits"
Quotes:

• "Since Yasmin was diagnosed with lactose intolerance 2 years ago, she's got so fussy about what she eats, nearly every type of food is off the menu."
  • "I've been on a lactose-free, wheat-free, preservative-free, additive-free, everything-free diet for the last 2 years."
  • "As well as dairy foods like milk cheese and yogurt, anything with wheat in it, like bread and pasta, is a complete no-no. She also won't touch anything processed or packaged. Which just leaves her to fill up on fruit and salad."
  • "If I saw somebody that was really was obese, I'd think, god, do you know what you're doing to yourself, do you know what you're putting in your body, do you know the poisons and the artificial rubbish that's in your body?"
  • "Definitely definitely having an effect, the stuffing with wheat in it, cause I can feel my stomach bubbling, and I'm beginning to feel a bit sicky. My hands are actually shaking. I was fine until a couple minutes ago. I just feel really sick. I haven't felt like this for a long time. This is how I was feeling when I used to eat all of this [cries]."
  • "I worked out that when I eliminated wheat I stopped feeling so bloated, when I eliminated dairy and various other things, fast food, preservatives, I stopped getting migraines, I stopped feeling sick in the morning."
  • "But apart from her lactose intolerance, doctors have found no evidence of any of the other intolerances Yasmin claims to suffer from."
  • "She's had a lot of tests over the years, and a lot of them have come back negative. I feel that doing this program is part of her own program to resolve the issues she's got, whether they be real, in a sense of medical, or real, in the sense of psychological and emotional." - her dad.
  • "I can't imagine sitting there for hours watching telly eating rubbishy stodgy crisps. Ugh. Couldn't do it. Not nice."
  • "I've learned not to fear certain foods anymore, or food full-stop, and I've learned that I can eat bread again." - "Why were you fearing food?" - "Just because I put all my worries of my intolerances from lactose all in one and combined them unnecessarily."

• rotten_apple likes this

#8 fadingawayagain

fadingawayagain

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6278 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:53 PM

Definitely interesting! :)

• waify and Darkness1 like this

HW = 74kg / CW = 67.8kg / GW = 50kg / LW = 41kg

#9 waify

waify

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

Sometimes the superskinnies lie  ;)

c945e0a5a2965c58612b110892ad4d58.jpg

During the diet swap, she eats a bag of crisps and says:

"It doesn't appeal to me at all. And its making me feel quite ill at the moment. Because even if I was starving hungry, I wouldn't choose to eat them."

357766.jpg

After the diet swap when she is handed her diet plan:

"I'm really excited about going home and doing my new diet and eating... practically what I like...really what I want to eat... and I can have some crisps and I know it's not going to have a huge impact on me."

hqdefault.jpg

S01E03 - Amy-Jo

Stats: 27. 5'7". 105lbs. 24" waist. BMI 16. 1700 cal a day.
'Week's worth of food' Tube: Cereal flakes. One portion of scrambled eggs and toast. A piece of ham or a stick of celery or two. Cucumbers. Cherry tomatoes. Tuna. Soups.
Breakfast: Bowl of low-calorie-cereal.
Lunch: An apple and a box of blueberries.
Dinner: vegetables and fish /or/ Ratatouille without pasta /or/ a roast /or/ soup.
Snack: Bowl of strawberries for dessert.
Quotes:

• "Superskinny Amy Joe was doing her body untold damage with a combination of rigorous exercise and a carb-free diet."
  • "Grueling workouts are a huge part of Amy Joe's life. A core part of Amy Joe's regime is running."
  • "I've worked out that your BMI is 16, and a healthy BMI is 20-25. 16 is not ideal. Why is it like that?" - "I don't really know, I thought I was just extra healthy and I just ate all the right foods."
  • "If she's been out and eaten a big meal with everybody, she will consciously go and run down to they gym." - her friend
  • "She's always down to the gym, she'll drop meg off at School, be down to the gym" -her husband
  • "The exercise that I do is a lot of cardio. But it makes me feel really good about myself, and, next day I wake up and I feel like I've got more energy, and ready to do stuff."
  • "My stomach feels like its just going errrr! Like it's kind of opening up to make room for all of the bread that's going in."
  • "My ultimate nightmare for a diet partner would be, junk food. Fizzy drinks. Chips. Burgers. Chocolates."
  • "I think that whole naan would just fill me up. That's a meal by itself to me."
  • "That was horrible. It was just not a meal that I'd ever have. It was stodgy and it was just awful and I keep burping from it. It was really horrible."
  • "I was just sitting here thinking how sick I felt as well."
  • Bag of potato chips: "It doesn't appeal to me at all. And its making me feel quite ill at the moment. Because even if I was starving hungry, I wouldn't choose to eat them [crisps]." - "Yeah I definitely can't have anymore. Just so full up. It's just not going in. I'm trying to eat all these snacks. And I just can't. Can't do it."
  • "I just feel like I need to relax a bit more with pasta and pizza and maybe have some chips, and not have to worry that if I eat carbohydrates that I'm going to feel bloated. I want to sort of train my body so I feel...good about myself, I guess."
  • Breadsticks and crisps: "Bland and boring and never-ending. Yeah, it was disgusting."
  • "I'm done. I'm finished. Can't do anymore."
  • "The best thing I did, was do-not-eat-after-5pm-diet, and it dropped off me. I literally lost a pound every two days." -celebrity guest
  • "Don't be scared about trying different flavors. And, just keep up the exercise."
  • "I'm really excited about going home and doing my new diet and eating... practically what I like...really what I want to eat... and I can have some crisps and I know it's not going to have a huge impact on me."

sorry to be creepy but sometimes I also where-are-they-now stalk the skinnies, and:

https://www.instagra.../p/BPIDCA7j8oH/

She writes: "I was on every single diet going including: the soup diet (bad) no carbs, the 5:2. The EVERYTHING!!!! It was horrible. I was anxious nearly all of the time and my heart felt like it was going to jump out of my skin! I love food but everything back then in society was skinny this and skinny that so in my mind i thought "I need to be skinny"!!!!!"

lol @ "I thought I was just extra healthy"

Her instagram transformation has me really intrigued about the subtext of the #strongnotskinny hashtag/movement.

Read an article about it recently. Linking it here so I can find it again later: https://www.nytimes....ieting-age.html

She traveled the country, interviewing members, former members and people they thought should be members about their attitudes toward dieting. She heard that they no longer wanted to talk about ‘‘dieting’’ and ‘‘weight loss.’’ They wanted to become ‘‘healthy’’ so they could be ‘‘fit.’’ They wanted to ‘‘eat clean’’ so they could be ‘‘strong.’’

If you had been watching closely, you could see that the change had come slowly. ‘‘Dieting’’ was now considered tacky. It was anti-feminist. It was arcane. In the new millennium, all bodies should be accepted, and any inclination to change a body was proof of a lack of acceptance of it. ‘‘Weight loss’’ was a pursuit that had, somehow, landed on the wrong side of political correctness. People wanted nothing to do with it. Except that many of them did: They wanted to be thinner. They wanted to be not quite so fat. Not that there was anything wrong with being fat! They just wanted to call dieting something else entirely.

[...]

Get fit! Be your healthiest! GET STRONG! replaced diet language like Get lean! Control your eating! Lose 10 pounds this month! In late 2015, Women’s Health, a holdout, announced in its own pages that it was doing away with the cover phrases ‘‘drop two sizes’’ and ‘‘bikini body.’’ The word ‘‘wellness’’ came to prominence. People were now fasting and eating clean and cleansing and making lifestyle changes, which, by all available evidence, is exactly like dieting.

[...]

She had seen the cultural changes for years. She knew that you were no longer supposed to say that you wanted to diet or be thinner. You had to want ‘‘fitness’’ and ‘‘strength’’ and just general health.

If exercise becomes your entire life's focus, and you're only allowing yourself to "eat the chocolate" or "eat the burger" because you burn it off by compulsive exercise, isn't exercise just another form of purging? smh

Her friend LITERALLY said "If she's been out and eaten a big meal with everybody, she will consciously go and run down to they gym."

THAT  <_<  IS  -_-  PURGING  -_-  BIH

#strongnotskinny

• somna 🌙, skelise, so_tired and 10 others like this

#10 blue_bandanna

blue_bandanna

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Locationlooking for the girl in the blue bandana

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

This is an amazing thread!
  • Hazle Weatherfield, waify and Darkness1 like this

~B

5'7

CW: 159

GW: 135

#11 TinyCray

TinyCray

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12333 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:01 PM

Keep it up! I love this thread!
  • waify likes this

d1fmf3u-91a3d385-ff96-4194-affd-2db45b47

F / 24 / AN-r / INFP / European 

162 cm / BMI in the 14s-15s / Underweight since 2015

d64rsq8-bd8557f3-bead-483c-9430-dcc52db5

#12 waify

waify

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

4099561029c9f1f4_w.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

she seems like she seriously just went on this show to dispute it's premise and make a statement cause she is unbothered af

S01E03 - Elizabeth Young

Stats: 41. 5', 86 lbs. 22" waist. BMI 16.8. 1000 cal/day.
'Week's worth of food' Tube: Dry cereal, no milk, orange juice, half a banana, Brazil nuts, prunes. Garlic, rice, turkey curry type things, pasta. 
Breakfast: Banana. 4 Prunes. 4 Brazil nuts. *Fun fact: prunes = natural laxative. / or / bran flakes without any milk.
Lunch: ?
Dinner: chicken and rice with 4 raw cloves of garlic / or / pasta with raw garlic.
Snack: High fiber bran mixed with yogurt and apple.
Quotes:

• "I've never really embraced the aging process. From a very young age, I've always said that I was never getting old."
  • "I don't have a bond with food. I can take it or leave it. I'm not emotionally connected to food. To me, I see food like petrol, in the sense that you only put petrol in a car when a car needs it, so I put food into my body when I need it."
  • "I'd only have 4 Brazil nuts and 4 California prunes if I'm having breakfast, cause I only eat when I'm hungry."
  • "Dinner is a bowl of rice, tuna, and raw garlic, which could last her 3 days."
  • "I have 4 cloves of garlic every day, and that is usually sliced in whatever I'm having." - "The garlic is medicinal."
  • "If I cannot get my fingers around my leg (thigh), then I know that I need to exercise or eat a little bit less. I like being this size."
  • "You're really quite a bit underweight." - "I don't think I'm underweight. I feel perfectly healthy. I think I'll live longer."
  • "It's not so much about eating very little. I've pretty much found out that some foods are good for you, and some are bad. So I choose the ones that are good."
  • "I want to prove that not all skinny people have issues with food."
  • "What one food - if you could choose any food as a sort of last meal - would you choose?" - "I don't see food in those terms." - "You see this is what's so interesting with you. You don't have a passion, you don't have a love of food."
  • "Can I just say something, I had no idea I was eating that much."
  • "I don't necessarily like Brazil nuts or prunes, but they serve a purpose, so I eat them. For me, happiness isn't in sitting down and eating a plate of food. There is no feeling, no emotions attached whatsoever. Am I sounding like Mr. Spock?"
  • Sheperds pie: "Ordinarily I'd probably be thinking 'yuck'. It didn't look very appetizing did it. It was going through the motions. It was just opening my mouth putting the food in."
  • "I'm different. So, my habits are not the habits that normal people will have. It's a mind over matter thing. So, my mind controls my body."
  • "Just imagine this scenario, you catch some horrible bug, you get salmonella, lets say, you have chronic diarrhea all the time, you can't eat cause you're sick, where are your reserves to get you through that?" - "I won't answer that." LOL
  • Her favorite activity: dancing - "I am stuck in a time warp, and that's part of the reason why I'm still, why I'm, as far as I'm concerned, young, because the people I used to go clubbing with, they're all old and boring now, and I'm still the same. I would hope that in 20 years I'm still doing this. In 40 years even."
  • "Please, no more food offerings. Had I not eaten everything else today, I would have been able to eat that, all of that. I'm sick of food. Sick of the frequency with which it's coming at me."

hqdefault.jpg

Conversation at the dinner table:

Stefan: "This here [yogurt with bran] is like, somebody who is constantly worried about their health, constantly worried about their physical health, this here is a concoction that has been concocted --"

Elizabeth: "That's YOUR opinion. You don't know me. Because I am slim does it have to mean that I have an issue with food?"

Stefan: "Do you have an issue with it though?"

Elizabeth: "You tell me."

Stefan: "I'm trying to find--"

Elizabeth: "Don't try to find out anything. Take me as you find me but don't try to go deeper because you're gonna go deep into territory that you don't wanna go into."

Lurking findings:

Elizabeth published a book of existential philosophy: https://www.amazon.c...g/dp/0953737810

From the description:

"Can we find purpose and fulfilment in life from following our basic instincts, through over-indulgence [...]?"

"...the power to stand our ground, to swim against the tide, to hold onto our beliefs regardless of the opinions of others."

• jaed, rutten, Hazle Weatherfield and 14 others like this

#13 Guest_Secret.SallyDoll_*

Guest_Secret.SallyDoll_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

I re-watch old episodes of this whenever my other half is on night shifts... So loving this thread!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
  • waify likes this

#14 Guest_fruitpassion_*

Guest_fruitpassion_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:05 AM

This thread is my new religion. I love the notes you're providing!

• waify likes this

#15 dragonfly_mama

dragonfly_mama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:16 AM

Do you think these ladies REALLY eat 1400-1700 calories a day?  Just curious.  I know everyone's metabolism is different but at my smallest I could never lose weight on that much and would actually gain.  

• rutten, Snow Siren, waify and 1 other like this

giphy.giftumblr_monrucyPCf1qh8s0zo4_400.gif

​27 years old.  "Recovered" myself right into obesity.  Refuse to live like this anymore.  

​Weight Lost:  10 lbs  Weight to Lose:  90 lbs

#16 fadingawayagain

fadingawayagain

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6278 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:42 AM

Do you think these ladies REALLY eat 1400-1700 calories a day?  Just curious.  I know everyone's metabolism is different but at my smallest I could never lose weight on that much and would actually gain.  

I feel suspicious of this too. 

And when they say 2000 calories is what should be eaten... like no. Definitely not. 

• dragonfly_mama, waify and rotten_apple like this

HW = 74kg / CW = 67.8kg / GW = 50kg / LW = 41kg

#17 Guest_fruitpassion_*

Guest_fruitpassion_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:02 AM

definitely. i've lost weight eating 2,000 calories when living a very active lifestyle.

n these people might not even be actively losing, just eating enough to maintain their unhealthy body weight. 

• fadingawayagain, dragonfly_mama and NobodyHome like this

#18 NobodyHome

NobodyHome

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1502 posts
  • Locationthe graveyard

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:13 AM

This is such an awesome thread, following! 

• waify and yellow_sun like this
5'2"| they/them/their
HW: 217lbs | BMI: 40.1 (at 5'1")
SW: 194.9lbs | BMI: 35.6
CW: 135.5lbs | BMI: 24.8
LW: 130.3lbs | BMI: 23.8

Switched to going by my gym's locker room scale on 6/26 due to fears about accuracy of my own
Ask about adding me on Fitbit & Instagram :)

#19 somna 🌙

somna 🌙

Omniscient

• Members
  • 5390 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:53 PM

God, that Elizabeth Young chick irritated me and fascinated me so much at the same time. Clearly trying extremely hard to stay in denial about how wack her diet is. Interesting that she wrote a book 0.o

• lachaparrita, ChubbyBunny8, waify and 4 others like this

Spoiler

"Yes, it hurts like hell. I'm going to do it anyway. I don't know how to stop myself."

Q84VN6t.png?1

formerly vomit~doll, formerly my_lovely_bones

#20 Grim Reaper™

Grim Reaper™

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:39 AM

I dont see those Health risks they talk about at a BMI of 17 or 16 though, like the supersizers are WAY unhealthier and the superskinnies seem normal to me, but that might just be my kinda disordered view :-/

• echo., LadyCrusader, waify and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users