Supersize vs Superskinny - notes/observations of the skinnies - Page 5 - Movies and TV Shows - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Supersize vs Superskinny - notes/observations of the skinnies

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 waify

waify

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 05 April 2021 - 10:46 PM

Yo can we bring this thread back lol

YES!!

BACK WITH MORE OF THIS THREAD ! bc i'm ~*relapsing*~ lol

eEArfZk.jpg

S02E06 - Martin

Stats: Age 32

'Week's worth of food' Tube: Chocolate bars for breakfast and lunch, tiny dinners, 20-30 cigarettes a day and tons of cofffee

Quotes:

• "I don't ever fancy food. There's been many days that I've not eaten."
  • "I want to look lean and athletic. I have a big fear of taking my shirt off and looking pudgy."
  • Dr. Jessen: "Do you ever feel hungry?" - Martin: "Very rarely." (they watch tons of cigarettes and coffee being thrown down the tube)
  • Voiceover: "In the past, to stop him getting fat, he put a serious curb on carbs. He hasn't eaten potatoes in 15 years."
  • "I just can't see how you can eat all of it. It looks disgusting."
  • "I've never felt this full. It feels like I'm about to burst. It's physically an impossibility. Getting all this in me."
  • "And this is just lunch?"... "The size of it..."
  • "It's not possible to get all that in."..."I'm full up."..."It's a lot of food. A hell of a lot of food."
  • While viewing body photos mounted on the wall: "I don't want a tub around the middle"
  • "It's a horrible feeling just sitting and looking at that"..."I don't think I'll be able to finish any one of your meals"
  • "Physically feel uncomfortable. I hate the feeling."..."I feel sick. I want to throw up." (he did throw up after that meal)
  • "It was just rank. Absolutely rank. To eat that much." (Large chicken kebab and chips) "Just don't want to look at it."

So his backstory is that he started dieting at age 14 to get into being a professional Jockey and developed a ton of disordered behaviors (diuretics etc) to be as light as possible on race days. Ever since he's been obsessed with having good abs and looking "athletic" which seems to mean not having any abdominal fat. Like a lot of skinnies he's conditioned himself to consume tiny volumes of food at meals hence the common horror at the portion size of the supersize person's meals. His complaining was less about the qualities of the foods themselves and more just that large portions = revolting/sickening.

• LazyAnorexic™, prettyslimchance, Keepitsecret? and 1 other like this

5'11" • BMI 18 • HW: 136 • LW: 117 • SW: 128 • CW: 128 • GW: 115

ongoing thread overanalyzing every episode of supersize vs superskinny

anorexia history & lore thread

#82 GeorgiaF

GeorgiaF

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:15 PM

I fucking love this thread, thank you so much
  • waify likes this

#83 Konachan

Konachan

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:54 PM

my favorite episode is the asian girl that just eats a bunch of fruit and wants to get her fiber in and she just seems happy all of the time.

• waify and Keepitsecret? like this

10-F59-A78-AB9-B-4350-B747-F3-C7-F33-F0-

#84 Snow Siren

Snow Siren

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5973 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:30 AM

Do you think these ladies REALLY eat 1400-1700 calories a day?  Just curious.  I know everyone's metabolism is different but at my smallest I could never lose weight on that much and would actually gain.  

Just wanted to come back to this comment, I know it's old but I noticed that in older episodes they'd show that some of the superskinny's were eating even as little as 350 calories a day, in later episodes they pretty much never seemed to drop the amount under 1200 calories (even if the amount clearly didn't match up with their food diary).

They changed the show over time due to public outrage:

-Instead of doing a 5 day diet swap they switched it to 2 days

-Removed the food tubes

-Show less close-ups of skinny body parts later on

-Superskinny's in later seasons didn't have obvious signs of an eating disorder like some of the earlier ones and they were less underweight/sickly overall

-Started focusing more and more on the 'going to America' shock part with the supersizers (these bore and depress me personally tbh)

-The doctor became more encouraging and bodyshamed the diet swappers less

-The (fad) diet part of the show became shorter and was often replaced with other segments

-Started focusing more on the reason why the supersize and superskinny developed their disordered eating habits

-Show overall became more focused on talking about obesity

-Stopped the in-depth therapy segments with anorexia/bulimia patients

• waify, ifoundDory, Konachan and 2 others like this

My accountability: https://www.myproana...accountability/

My art:  http://eev11.deviantart.com/ https://www.instagram.com/art_by_eev/

1cfc38dafd69bea1ccde18202984f94f.gif

Diagnosed with: Bulimia Nervosa, recovering

Started losing weight: Fall 2014, most weight lost: 195 lbs (90 kg) +/-

Stats under the spoiler:

Spoiler

#85 rotten_apple

rotten_apple

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:09 AM

Bump. 

In today's episode of "Threads I didn't know I needed to read"...

• LazyAnorexic™, ForeverDieting and Keepitsecret? like this

Twisting deep inside of me,
Forever missing, the glistening.

— SOiL, Unreal.

28. Italy. EDNOS
Flexitarian trying to go full vegan.

Drugs and alcohol are my only friends.

Current accountability thread: [Losing weight before I get tattooed] [1200 calorie challenge [26+ only]]
Older ones: [April 2021] [April 2021 - Failed attempt] [April 2021]

Blog: [⛔ for friends only]

Introduction: [here]

Competitions and Challenges 

Spoiler

#86 light-in-the-crack

light-in-the-crack

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3627 posts
  • Locationa castle on the moon

Posted 27 April 2021 - 11:24 AM

I feel suspicious of this too. 

And when they say 2000 calories is what should be eaten... like no. Definitely not. 

for real, 2000 calories isn't an across-the-board number for everyone. Like if I wanted to maintain my weight I'd have to eat about 2100 calories a day because I'm pretty active, and someone like my dad has to eat like 3000 calories a day because he's 6'4 and really active, where my friend who's smaller and shorter and is more sedentary only needs about 1700 calories

she/they

Stats:

Spoiler

My Accountability

#87 bulimicfailure

bulimicfailure

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • LocationUp your ass

Posted 19 May 2021 - 05:35 AM

Bump because I’m rewatching this show again and I definitely believe they’re lying about the super skinny intakes

Forever Relapsing

Also, apparently I've grown an inch. I'm 5'4" now.

Low BMI: 18.88

High BMI: 26

Current BMI: 22.79

GOAL: 14

But fucking Bulimia makes everything impossible...

Yes, my profile pic is actually me, and I'm aware that I'm a whale...

yLDm8Pd.jpgfUnS3em.jpg]UuJ2RsU.gifxjbTmJ6.gif[[cuXWhUl.jpg]JartP10.jpgwRae06A.jpgfCDNB69.gif[/background]

#88 ifoundDory

ifoundDory

wildly inappropriate bore

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2262 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 08:44 AM

Holy hell thank you for this thread this is amazing! I love the show and love hearing about the superskinnies' attitudes toward food and their diet but it's very different when it's all written out like this.
On another note it baffles me how they almost never seem to suspect an eating disorder with these people. There have definitely been many red flags throughout the show.

#89 HeftyBanana

HeftyBanana

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 08:49 AM

-Started focusing more and more on the 'going to America' shock part with the supersizers (these bore and depress me personally tbh)

I'm watching an episode rn, and it dawned on me that he's sitting on this bench talking to the UK supersizer, saying shit like "this is what you'll be like if you don't stop" RIGHT IN FRONT of the American person. Like I know the American people are willing to be on it to shock people and help educate others (like they've gotta give consent and all that), but how degrading to be presented on TV as nothing more than an example of what not to be like. The poor American lady looked so embarrassed...it can't feel good, even if you are a willing participant

• Snow Siren and ifoundDory like this

✿ ❀

Me, talking about me:

0ujGxN.gif

Me lying in bed, ruminating on all the things I've said and done that day:

mNg39n.gif

✿ ❀

Stats

GW1: 100 lbs / 45kg 

GW2: 95 lbs / 43kg

GW3: 91.4 lbs / 41.5 kg (LW)

UGW: 86lbs / 40kg