Hey Admin, What's with the emails I'm getting? - General Announcements - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Hey Admin, What's with the emails I'm getting?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1008 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

Hi - I should have made this announcement earlier to avoid confusion.

MPA IS sending some emails.

Existing Members

Existing members may get around ONE email per MONTH with a commercial link in it to a product. We try to ensure that you don't get more than one. We decided to do this in the hope of defraying some of the site running costs. While I'd love it for you to stay on the list, you can unsubscribe by clicking the unsubscribe link in the email. This will not affect your participation or access to MPA. If you are getting more than one per month, please let me know, because you shouldn't be and I will investigate. I hate spam as much as the next person.

New Members

New members will get a series of NON-commercial emails (diet tips etc) for the first month. This is done to ensure the email address on file stays valid. We have issues with spammers registering a temporary email address. By sending a series of emails, we make sure the email address stays valid for 30 days, and if not, we can clear out the temporary/spam members. These emails are not commercial and do not contain any links.

EDIT: I've decided to kill those emails. Sorry for the inconvenience. See my post below. We'll replace it with something else.

I hope that explains it. Sorry for not explaining this before.

Thanks

Admin

• Bibliophile, PetiteGing, Moonfairy and 5 others like this

PSA: If you have an issue with any warning received from a moderator, messaging the Admin to fight or argue against the warning is not an ideal way to resolve any issue. The moderator team is not new here and have been delegated the responsibility of warnings and moderation of MPA. If you wish to discuss your warning, please message the moderator who sent you the warning or the entire moderating team to open a dialog. 

-Admin

#2 Ofelia

Ofelia

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 4983 posts
  • LocationThe Yellow Wallpaper

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

...Isn't there some other content that can be used in the emails that are sent out?

I think it's a really good idea to send emails out periodically to weed out spammers, but emails with some boring text about floor tiles would do the job just as well.  :unsure:

• deadnettle, PsychoBillie and Ih8carbs like this

Some of the bravest and most inspiring people I have ever met:

TELL: Therapy Exploitation Link Line

Please don't hesitate to reach out to these lovely people if you ever find yourself in an abusive therapeutic setting.

You will find lots of understanding, emotional support, and possible resources.

They will believe you even when you have no hope.

Vhjyg.gif

Previous Avatars

Spoiler

#3 Ih8carbs

Ih8carbs

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts
  • LocationEast Coast US

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

I'd personally prefer something NON weight loss related. An inspirational message or something. If it has to have an actual product, then I hope it WONT be for diet pills or that sort of thing. I would unsubscribe immediately. And thank you for clearing up this issue!
  • deadnettle, Ricinus, Try_hard_failed and 5 others like this
28hd0nl.jpg

#4 Guest_idontknowwhattoput_*

Guest_idontknowwhattoput_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

Id on't even remember the email i used for this.

• xaesthetic, Try_hard_failed, thinb0dies and 2 others like this

#5 Procaffeinating

Procaffeinating

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3003 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

Yes, I agree that it shouldn't be weight loss related.  Maybe a summary of some of the most popular topics/site news or an inspirational message :)  Maybe like monthly quotes or something!

• wannabethin2812 likes this

5'6

HW: 142 (Weight restored)

LW: 107

CW: 111.4lbs (7/13/19)

200.gif#3-grid1

~My Accountability~

#6 A Sky

A Sky

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2722 posts
  • LocationFree Falling

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

Wow! I thought those email were spam. I didn't get the weight loss one but other members were talking about. I am in shock that it was legit.
  • LaurenNZ likes this

Too Many Attractive People, Not Enough Interesting one... Don't Be Eye Candy, Be Soul Food

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

Jcollier.jpg

Accountability: Living with ED

https://www.myproana...tability-log/"]

#7 Promise

Promise

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1413 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

I agree with what everyone else is saying about the weight loss emails...

Could you not send cute animal pics or videos? That would out a smile on everyone's face :)
  • wannabethin2812 likes this

#8 Ih8carbs

Ih8carbs

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 2176 posts
  • LocationEast Coast US

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

I agree with what everyone else is saying about the weight loss emails...
Could you not send cute animal pics or videos? That would out a smile on everyone's face :)

I also vote for puppies! But the site is doing e-mails to "defray costs" so it needs to have a product link. So, maybe pet products?

ADMIN do you want suggestions for products members would want?
  • stonedandstarving likes this
28hd0nl.jpg

#9 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1008 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

Ok - You all raise good points. I've cut out the series of emails you were getting regarding weight loss etc. I'll look for something else...you know, kitten pics etc.

(Please excuse a once a month commercial email though)

Thanks for the feedback.

• ifidreamed_alittle-further, Ofelia and Ih8carbs like this

PSA: If you have an issue with any warning received from a moderator, messaging the Admin to fight or argue against the warning is not an ideal way to resolve any issue. The moderator team is not new here and have been delegated the responsibility of warnings and moderation of MPA. If you wish to discuss your warning, please message the moderator who sent you the warning or the entire moderating team to open a dialog. 

-Admin

#10 teadrinkingallday

teadrinkingallday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

SW: 189

CW: 184

GW1: 176

GW2: 169

GW3: 152

GW4: 143

UGW:130

Anybody what to help me get there I'm new to this and can receive all the help I can get.

#11 Ofelia

Ofelia

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 4983 posts
  • LocationThe Yellow Wallpaper

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:53 AM

Thank you! :)

Some of the bravest and most inspiring people I have ever met:

TELL: Therapy Exploitation Link Line

Please don't hesitate to reach out to these lovely people if you ever find yourself in an abusive therapeutic setting.

You will find lots of understanding, emotional support, and possible resources.

They will believe you even when you have no hope.

Vhjyg.gif

Previous Avatars

Spoiler

#12 Promise

Promise

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1413 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:00 AM

Ok - You all raise good points. I've cut out the series of emails you were getting regarding weight loss etc. I'll look for something else...you know, kitten pics etc.

(Please excuse a once a month commercial email though)

Thanks for the feedback.

Yay kitten pics :) I can excuse the monthly commercial as long as I'm spammed with adorable kittens the rest of the month <3
  • ❤bubbles❤ likes this

#13 EvanescentBeauty

EvanescentBeauty

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:28 AM

You vould just mark emails from this site as spam. It h oes directly into your spam folder that way.

IWBS

#14 EvanescentBeauty

EvanescentBeauty

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:29 AM

I meant goes directly. Mpa is not as fun from your phone.

IWBS

#15 Guest_Varuca🌻Salt._*

Guest_Varuca🌻Salt._*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:29 AM

Existing Members

Existing members may get around ONE email per MONTH with a commercial link in it to a product. We try to ensure that you don't get more than one. We decided to do this in the hope of defraying some of the site running costs. While I'd love it for you to stay on the list, you can unsubscribe by clicking the unsubscribe link in the email. This will not affect your participation or access to MPA. If you are getting more than one per month, please let me know, because you shouldn't be and I will investigate. I hate spam as much as the next person.

New Members

New members will get a series of NON-commercial emails (diet tips etc) for the first month. This is done to ensure the email address on file stays valid. We have issues with spammers registering a temporary email address. By sending a series of emails, we make sure the email address stays valid for 30 days, and if not, we can clear out the temporary/spam members. These emails are not commercial and do not contain any links.
EDIT: I've decided to kill those emails. Sorry for the inconvenience. See my post below. We'll replace it with something else.

Thanks
Admin

Are you sending the emails or are third party companies sending us the emails?

#16 The1stOfMe

The1stOfMe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:10 PM

Thanks  for the info. I wondered about this.

#17 Guest_Starvingforchange_*

Guest_Starvingforchange_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:50 PM

Existing Members

New Members

Thanks
Admin

This ISNT TRUE.

When I left the site FOR A YEAR I continued to get emails. I tried to do everything I could - even after trying to contact MPA asking to be removed - and nothing made a difference. So please work on this.

#18 Jimjamwoobie

Jimjamwoobie

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:12 PM

Can I have an admin help me out please.
I have recently been logged out of my MPA account on my laptop and i cannot remember the password.
Although I am still logged in on my mobile, I want to reset my password so I can log back on to my account using my laptop.
I keep selecting 'forgot password' and although I am using the right email address, I have not got a password re-set email through yet.
I done this over a week ago and nothing has came through.
X

<3 Female <3

:P 22 Years old  :P 

Height: 5ft 2 

Lowest weight: 92 IBS

Current weight: 105IBS

Ultimate Goal Weight: 80IBS

EDNOS, Fibromyalgia and Asthma 

:rolleyes: I am all the 'bad' genes mixed together from my family :/ :rolleyes: 

#19 Isy Rots

Isy Rots

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3525 posts
  • LocationHogsmead

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:07 AM

I havent even checked my gmail in so long! Must do soon x

5ft 9in

HW: 185lbs

LW: 132lbs

CW: 150lbs

BMI: 22ish

GW: 127lbs

Last binge: I haven't had a true, 6000kcal+ binge since 2017. I still have small binges these days, but they rarely go over 3000kcal. My maintenance is 2500kcal due to high exercise.  

Current Diet: I eat around 1500-2500 cals most days, which for me is enough deficit to lose. Every month or so I have under 1000cals for about a week, and I only ever go above 3000cals maybe once a month or less. I eat lots of vegetarian and vegan foods, lean meat and avoid bread (was always a binge trigger for me). I workout 30mins-2hrs every day, using YouTube tutorials to learn pilates, contortion, abs & ballet skills. YouTubers I watch most are Alivia D'Andrea, Anna McNulty and KMB Talent. 

You must master a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. You can't solve problems by using the same thinking you used when you created them. There are far better things ahead than anything we leave behind. 

The first to apologise is the bravest. The first to forgive is the strongest. The first to forget is the happiest. 

#20 Guest_Tea&Bruises_*

Guest_Tea&Bruises_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:34 PM

So glad the second thing is being killed. Seemed in bad taste.

It's nice to hear that you're listening to the community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users