Do you pass as another race/ethnicity? - Minorities - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Do you pass as another race/ethnicity?

race racial passing

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_stephane's asspuppet_*

Guest_stephane's asspuppet_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:09 PM

At least some of the time? I'm mixed Asian and White and I get frustrated having to list off all my ethnicities.Apparently "mixed" is never enough an explanation for people.X| I get they're interested but I always wanna respond with just ONE answer to make it simple. 

For example I'm part Italian so I could just say Italian cuz I look it. If I say Asian they'll be all "but you don't look 100%". 

Well-spotted. Not like anyone's gonna test my genes for proof. Anyone else pass?

i feel this was posted already but i can't find it....

• Dyrne, imprecisebuteffortless and VRVegan like this

#2 Princess Kenny

Princess Kenny

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2881 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:17 PM

Yeah, people are weird about race and how you're "supposed" to look, even within ethnic groups. 

• cheapdate, ChasingTheHorizon, Iridium and 2 others like this

WATCH ME TRY TO BE HAPPY

Ht: 5' 6.75" (169 cm) | Wt: 142.8 lb (64.8 kg) | Gw: 114.8 lb (52.1 kg)

✿ ✿ 

#3 anna-95

anna-95

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:22 PM

I just go with ''White Other' on forms & official documents and never specify. People don't really ask in my case though because I look Western apparently. When I do tell people that I'm in fact Turkish sometimes they think I'm joking. :S

• Narcissus and ForOblivion like this

Height: 173cm (5'8)

SW: 79 kg (174lbs) - 05/08/2017

CW: 63.2 kg (139.3 lbs)

BMI: 21.1

GW1: 72 kg (158.7lbs) - 02/09/2017

GW2: 67 kg (147.7lbs) - 15/10/2017

GW3: 62 kg (136.7lbs)

UGW: 57.5 kg (126.7lbs)

-

ACCOUNTABILITY:

http://www.myproana....-649-kg-143-lbs/

#4 Guest_stephane's asspuppet_*

• Guests

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:29 PM

I just go with ''White Other' on forms & official documents and never specify. People don't really ask in my case though because I look Western apparently. When I do tell people that I'm in fact Turkish sometimes they think I'm joking. :S

Wtf guess they've never seen a Turk before?XD I've known quite a few Turks and they vary from light and dark features. Then again too many Americans can't locate Turkey on a map. Sad mayne...

• J_Matyáš_S999 and anna-95 like this

#5 anna-95

anna-95

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:40 PM

Wtf guess they've never seen a Turk before?XD I've known quite a few Turks and they vary from light and dark features. Then again too many Americans can't locate Turkey on a map. Sad mayne...

I don't know what it means to look Turkish so I always just shrug. Lol. I don't think we have any distinct physical features so not sure what people expect to see. I tried asking before but all I got was 'I don't know, you just don't look it.'  :blink:

Height: 173cm (5'8)

SW: 79 kg (174lbs) - 05/08/2017

CW: 63.2 kg (139.3 lbs)

BMI: 21.1

GW1: 72 kg (158.7lbs) - 02/09/2017

GW2: 67 kg (147.7lbs) - 15/10/2017

GW3: 62 kg (136.7lbs)

UGW: 57.5 kg (126.7lbs)

-

ACCOUNTABILITY:

http://www.myproana....-649-kg-143-lbs/

#6 Guest_stephane's asspuppet_*

• Guests

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:40 AM

Yeah, people are weird about race and how you're "supposed" to look, even within ethnic groups. 

it pisses me off even when i know it's their own fault for being ignorant of other populations. like blonde hair and blue eyes are supposed to be a European thing. Well usually, but in the Phillipines and some parts of Africa they're seen as well. Just with different hair textures. Solomon island tribe for xampleblonde-hair-solomon-islands.jpg

• Oh Happy Day likes this

#7 floralbee

floralbee

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:01 AM

I'm half asian but people always think I'm just white bc I have v fair skin.
"I caution you as I was never cautioned:
you will never let go, you will never be satiated.
you will be damaged and scarred, you will continue to hunger.
your body will age, you will continue to need.
you will want the earth, then more of the earth–
sublime, indifferent, it is present, it will not respond.
it is encompassing, it will not minister.
meaning,
it will feed you, it will ravish you,
it will not keep you alive."
- Louise Glück

#8 ssillyssnakes

ssillyssnakes

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:02 AM

i look white af, especially in the winter, but my dad is white-vietnamese and my ma's black-taino puerto rican

t o o t i r e d

5'2 / 157cm

#9 JoyAddict

JoyAddict

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:05 AM

I mean, I look pretty hispanic so I've never had my race questioned in Florida because hispanics are everywhere lol. During my exchange in Germany though, people thought I was Turkish. Fair assumption since typically the only people with tan skin and black hair/eyes were Turkish people, which there are a lot of there.

SOtxezp.png

#10 Soelvie

Soelvie

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

Well im half black half white and I'm basically just in the middle looks wise. No way I could pass for white, but I'm too light and I don't have black hair, so no one thinks I'm just black either. So no not really lol, although I have gotten Spanish, Morrocan, Egyptian and South American before, if my hair is straight.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
  • via_me and 98kcals like this

2f572f58f0623184188c475370ff49ca.gif

✰Sølvie✰

My accountability:

7d46bc9cc295c858341d4c3ac67f5849.gif

#11 Dietetic Technician

Dietetic Technician

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1897 posts
  • LocationThe Upside Down

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:39 AM

I'm straight up strange looking. I'm not ugly, but it's pretty impossible to pin down my genetic origins. 

I'm tall (5'10''), but I'm built like an Amazon which I rarely see. Most of the tall girls I know are either butch are lanky. There doesn't seem to be too many Wonder Woman's walking about. 

My hair is dark brown, but it changes to so many shades. I'm currently blonde so it makes everything look even more odd. It's also pin straight. Like Asian straight which isn't common outside of that ethnicity. My eyes are also BLACK. Not dark brown, but actually black.

My face is odd, too. I can look Asian, Native, Swedish, European and straight up vanilla at times. But my skin tans to an olive, European colour, not that white girl burned or hispanic brown.

• prayshif likes this

"If you spent as much time at the gym as you do applying your make-up you wouldn't be so fat." - bicabarbie

tenor.gif

<---- VOLLRATH SCOOPS

I need to work on my customer service voice...

#12 cheapdate

cheapdate

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13944 posts
  • LocationNaboo

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:10 AM

LOL.

"Are you Hawaiian?" "Are you Brazilian?" "What the hell are you?"

I'm Mexican and Korean. I don't pass as either. Koreans are like "OMG I can see the Asian in you but you don't look like either!" Same with hispanics/latinos. 

At this point I just want to move to Brazil. No one ever bothered me about my race/ethnicity there  :D

"For small creatures such as we
the vastness is bearable only through love."
Carl Sagan, Contact

Current BMI: 17.9

Goal BMI: 16.8

#13 Guest_stephane's asspuppet_*

• Guests

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

LOL.

"Are you Hawaiian?" "Are you Brazilian?" "What the hell are you?"

I'm Mexican and Korean. I don't pass as either. Koreans are like "OMG I can see the Asian in you but you don't look like either!" Same with hispanics/latinos. 

At this point I just want to move to Brazil. No one ever bothered me about my race/ethnicity there  :D

Not even gonna f-ing lie I'mconsidering doing the same[cept not Brazil, someplace else]. I'm pretty friggin sick of people bothering me about my race. Ffs I live in the US and I'm tired of people asking, "No, where are you really from?" I  don't mind people asking what my race is but when they assume it's annoying as hell.

#14 ED_girrrl

ED_girrrl

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

Well, I'm latina but also white-passing...

#15 Guest_Jungkook_*

Guest_Jungkook_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:48 PM

In photos people always think I’m Asian.
  • ♡stawbaby♡ likes this

#16 prince jin

prince jin

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1024 posts
  • Locationnetherlands

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

i am black but people guessed south asian

C6RYKs6.gif

WV4J.gif

#17 DottieSaid

DottieSaid

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2527 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:34 AM

A lot of people don't believe I'm 3/4 white British because my grandmother's genes are very strong in me, but then nobody ever asks if I'm Filipino, they always want to know if I'm Chinese

Funny surprise happened last summer when I saw my grandmother and asked her about her grandparents and she said her grandfather was Chinese

So I guess they weren't completely incorrect because I'm apparently 1/16 Chinese??? xD

a9603215fe624e1ef2cbf06fb7d65f07.jpg

Spoiler

#18 Guest_Kim Kardashian._*

Guest_Kim Kardashian._*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:05 PM

i am really white, scandinavian (white skin, light hair, light eyes)

but i dye my hair black and suddenly people respond with ''but u look italian''

and my name is latin and for most people it sounds italian so they are really confused when i tell them i am not

when i am tired i just nod my head if they asked me if i am italian lol

#19 Guest_Nessi_*

Guest_Nessi_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:41 PM

I'm so mixed I'm not sure what I am, but I usually get Ukrainian. Once someone guessed French Canadian, and I was surprised and had to correct to something along the lines of Russian-German(the least)-Ukranian-Polish-Belarus-possibly Middle Eastern, etc.

I know my dad has most issues with this. He constantly gets mistaken as Pakistani, Turkish, Russian, Italian, and who knows what else :P

• Narcissus and Dyrne like this

#20 Ellaaa

Ellaaa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:52 PM

I'm really mixed so my mother is Caribbean and my dad is white. My mums side is mixed with black Chinese and Indian. No one can really guess where I'm from, so I can pretty much pass as Spanish/Brazilian, half Indian, Italian and I get Arab a lot in London or even Jewish, so yea a lot of places. People never believe me when I say I'm half black.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: race, racial passing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users