When did you see the damage to your teeth - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

When did you see the damage to your teeth

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Lydiaa

Lydiaa

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1483 posts
  • LocationAzkaban

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:45 PM

Self explanatory

Were you in a purge cycle?

♏︎

____

Height: 5'4

Cw: 103 pounds

Gw: 99 pounds

Ugw: 90 pounds

LTYT5GTIiAMBa.gif

#2 semi_sweet_chocolate

semi_sweet_chocolate

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

I went to get my annual teeth cleaning and my dentist discovered two deep cavities needling root canals, and 2 more smaller cavities. Even with insurance, it's been hundreds of dollars of dental costs.

I'm humilitated that it hasn't deterred me from purging.
  • sqrrlgrrl and Lydiaa like this

SW: 230 lbs.|5'9 in.|GW1:210|GW2:185|GW3:155|UGW: 135 

"Don't tell people your plans, show them your results."

starting from the bottom. again.

#3 markinas

markinas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationLatvia

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:59 PM

Seven years in. I always thought that people exaggerate their teeth damage, because mine were ok for such a long time, but damn the damage was so sudden and out of nowhere this year, and it happened during a purge cycle obviously ://
  • below21, Lydiaa and Hygge. like this

#4 Busybutterflies

Busybutterflies

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • LocationNew york , United States

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:04 PM

I'm in my six year of Bulimia and Ive only noticed that my teeth are not a nice white color. I haven't been to a dentist in a very long time. So, there's a chance something is wrong with them that I don't feel or/and see.

“Saucin', saucin', I'm saucin' on you”

tumblr_nrjkvxchYK1syjt2wo1_250.gif

#5 aforeffort

aforeffort

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Locationin between there and nowhere

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:04 PM

i had a few cavities last year, but i'm not sure it was a purge cycle. one thing that's quite predictable for me is that my teeth are more yellowish when i purge more. recently, my teeth have been very temperature-sensitive, which is why i can only chew with my right side rn. i've also had terrible teeth pains--it's like all of my teeth are suddenly so tight--at random times of the day.

#6 Mandorlabanane

Mandorlabanane

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:12 AM

I know this sounds stupid - I've never really purged but would a mouth guard or a thing like invisalign protect your teethc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

381c0342a15586b125bf52ee89b88a82.gif

Accountability <3

#7 Guest_AnneInMotion_*

Guest_AnneInMotion_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:16 AM

I know this sounds stupid - I've never really purged but would a mouth guard or a thing like invisalign protect your teethc

Don't know if it would to be honest. Maybe because less vomit would hit the back of your teeth? Don't know how to purge with a guard in though, I'd probably get annoyed and burn the thing :')

My teeth damage started getting noticable after 2/3 years or so? Haven't had a ton of cavities (yet) but my teeth are really sensitive 8 years into the disease. You can almost see through the bottom of my front teeth, my teeth are much more yellow and the gums are irritated a lot. I've had a couple of small pieces of my teeth just break off in the past 2 years because they're getting weaker, and honestly I'm terrified of losing my teeth but I can't stop purging :-(

#8 Lydiaa

Lydiaa

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1483 posts
  • LocationAzkaban

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

I wouldn't. I have seen a similar thread and it was mentioned quite a lot that the vomit would be stuck in the crevices etc and it's pretty unhygienic it'd be hard to clean completely.

♏︎

____

Height: 5'4

Cw: 103 pounds

Gw: 99 pounds

Ugw: 90 pounds

LTYT5GTIiAMBa.gif

#9 monicks

monicks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

After a couple of years I've seen a change in colour, but only recently (8 years in) I've noticed that my teeth are a bit transparent. Also somewhere down the line my teeth got sensitive but now food and drinks even a bit colder or hotter than the room temperature is excruciating.

tumblr_ok726aPag11smsmqro1_500.gif

HW/-187

SW-180

CW-152   i messed up

GW1-160

GW2-132

GW3-120

UGW-90- maybe never

5'5

#10 stonescold

stonescold

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3722 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:54 PM

I've been purging for 4 years and I haven't had any teeth problems. I've never even have had a cavity in my life so maybe I'm just lucky and it's going to catch up with me at some point haha

#11 Fat Mac

Fat Mac

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1186 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

I am going to be straight up and admit that my teeth were fucked loooong before I started purging. Parents never made me brush my teeth and if you don't force a kid to do something like that, they generally won't. TBH at one point I probably went a month or so without brushing. A couple of my back teeth broke off and I had to get then removed last month. Have another appointment on Friday to address my mouth full of cavities.

On the plus side (if there is any) this all makes a great cover for my ED. Nobody suspects it's from vomit when I tell them how terrible my hygiene was as a youngster. They're just real grossed out. 🤣
  • never___enough__ likes this

sorry, mom. sorry, god.

accountability

stats:

Spoiler

#12 Guest_Sweeeetie_*

Guest_Sweeeetie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:16 PM

I started noticing it after a year.

#13 MaddieDea

MaddieDea

Omniscient

• Members
  • 2946 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:03 PM

It took me around 2 years, but I think the damage started a little before that.

Lol fuck shit I need to stop. Those dental bills were INSANE for 4 cavity fillings

• Slowly_Making_It likes this

MADDIE

f837ac92bd327d2a68129ef9c34618ea.gif

almost 99 (accountability)

Spoiler

#14 lifelike

lifelike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:26 PM

It was about a year I think. My tooth started to hurt bc the enamel was weak, so I bought sensitivity toothpaste. My dentist tells me I have the teeth of an old man. Oh well.

tumblr_myaiqaWxq91sghrslo3_500.gif

Stats:

5'7"

HW: 180

CW: 160

GW: 110

#15 AyySock

AyySock

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2343 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:16 PM

After about 2-3 years of purging 7+ times a day every day.

Looked in the mirror one day and my already genetically shitty teeth had a nasty black cavity eating away at the back of my front tooth.

FLMNqSD.gif

My fitbit: https://www.fitbit.com/user/5PH66J 

Accountability

HuzfhLb.png

#16 PinkyCat

PinkyCat

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:51 AM

My teeth problems started after 3 years of purging. Now about 6 years later I'm missing a lower tooth, 5 of my upper teeth and a lower one are crowns and I have a broken top molar. My teeth are very sensitive and hurt when I eat acidic foods and candy..I really am considering getting all of them pulled out and getting dentures..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#17 murderotic

murderotic

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Locationhell

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:59 AM

Went to an annual check up and they found my upper molar pretty much rotten even though I kept proper dental hygiene as best I could at the time (I was in a very severe bulimic cycle; and yes, I knew the tricks).
I was only 18 and about 2 years into bulimic cycles and a year before that, anorexia. I never told them why that could’ve been possible for someone my age w relatively healthy teeth.
I had to have 90% of my yellowed upper molar shaved off and have a permanent porcelain crown there now, which cost hundreds of dollars and arduous dental visits the entire summer.
Suffice it to say, that was a major wake up call to stop purging as freely as I used to, if at all. One things for sure, I do want and like my teeth— and they’re the only set you got. I’m proud to say I’m b/p free for a long time now since I got the procedure done, and it’s SO worth it. However, as EDs always backfire, now I just manage my weight in other, less obvious yet equally as unhealthy ways.
C’est la vie.
Stay safe, all.

• MaddieDea likes this

Lilith | 19 | Scorpio sun | Fluid | Artist & Light Performer | Eclectic Witch | Empath | ND 

5' 7''

hw: 167

lw: 119

cw: 121 bmi: 19

gw 1: 125

gw 2: 115

ugw: 100

fell back into the rabbit hole.

bb0df58bbca1e766988d110754328159.gif

"What nourishes me destroys me."

#18 Flora039

Flora039

fucking whora

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationBelgium (:

Posted 27 November 2020 - 06:39 PM

I've b/p'ing daily ab 6-8 months and i have 8 cavities ):
I've never had a cavity before in my entire life so yea thats fucked

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Mi A2 Lite met Tapatalk

nU14Dpl.png

#19 Hygge.

Hygge.

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2900 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:15 AM

Bering purging for 3ish years daily, damage has been quite visible since January I think.
My teeth are crap and they are starting to get way too sensitive, yet I can't stop.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 8 Pro mediante Tapatalk

5,7 ft. SW: 186 CW: 105 (fat af) GW1: 143 GW2: 132 GW3:125 GW4: 118 UGW: ?

Current BMI: 16.1

tumblr_ovtqyp8W3t1w2l6tbo1_500.png

"(...) since the thing perhaps is to eat flowers and not to be afraid."

#20 BoredBibliophile

BoredBibliophile

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationThe Cliffs of Insanity

Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:30 AM

Hey on teeth damage: I don’t know how effective this is but I’ve heard that letting some tooth paste sit on your teeth (not brushing with anything harsher than your finger and then letting a layer sit) after purging can do a (very small amount) to reduce damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users