weight loss on chew and spit - Rumination Disorder - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

weight loss on chew and spit

chew spit rumination weight loss disorder advice skinny fat

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 nowimfat

nowimfat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:27 PM

started doing chew and spit today and so far feels like a good plan for when you get intense cravings. i researched it and totally understand the consequences in terms of your health (gum deterioration, ulcers etc.). In my opinion these things probably happen to those who c/s in a binging method and do it very often. If im only doing it like once or twice a day for only 5-10 miuntes at a time to satisfy chip, chocolate cravings or a dinner that my mom made that she wants me to eat, i don't think there is as high of a chance of me rotting my teeth or getting an ulcer. i also see lots of posts about people actually gaining weight because they do hour long episodes and accidentally swallow the food, my question is has anybody actually lost weight doing c/s if they are using at as a craving satisfier not a binge? let me know if you lost weight and how much/how quickly you lost it, thanks! 

• Not So Skinny Hermit likes this

HW:190 SW:174.3 GW1:170 GW2:165 GW3:160 GW4:155 GW5:150  GW6:140  GW7:130  GW: 120 UGW:110

#2 quaaldues

quaaldues

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationI have no clue

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:29 PM

Well with c/s you can get tmj in your jaw with the amount of force it takes to chew then immediately spit out the food avoiding swallowing, so I would not recommend for super chewy foods or melted foods like chocolate. When I c/s its just like starchy stuff (chips, fries etc) 

• nowimfat likes this

STATS: SW|130 lbs CW|98 lbs GW|98 lbs GW2|92 lbs UGW|88 lbs [UUGW 78lbs]

5'6.5

Spoiler

#3 Uselessfatalities333

Uselessfatalities333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:01 PM

I chew and spit at least once everyday. Usually a complete meal (cereal, oatmeal, pop tart, breakfast bar, sandwich etc) and I've been losing weight. I also almost never swallow my food accidentally, I think it mostly depends on how you chew and spit the food. I hold it mostly in the front of my mouth and am sure to spit it out when it's starting to get all in my saliva and stuff really building up and then I spit a little extra so get the rest of my flavored spit out. (Sorry, I know that's gross) I also use my fingers to rub around my the sides of my gums and swish with sink water to make sure I get any that I could swallow completely out. Even if I do swallow some, it's so slight that it probably can't even count as a small tsp. I use it to pretend to eat things and for cravings too. I think it's fine as long as you're careful about swallowing it or not. I've even put some drink in my mouth and swished to get the taste then spat it out, and swished with water afterwards and spat. It's really helpful to chew your food really well then spit it into the sink drain, because it slides down really easily and so it makes it easier to get rid of.
  • extrasmoothtoiletpaper, InHerNeverland, 0bsesseddepressed and 6 others like this

#4 nowimfat

nowimfat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:06 PM

I chew and spit at least once everyday. Usually a complete meal (cereal, oatmeal, pop tart, breakfast bar, sandwich etc) and I've been losing weight. I also almost never swallow my food accidentally, I think it mostly depends on how you chew and spit the food. I hold it mostly in the front of my mouth and am sure to spit it out when it's starting to get all in my saliva and stuff really building up and then I spit a little extra so get the rest of my flavored spit out. (Sorry, I know that's gross) I also use my fingers to rub around my the sides of my gums and swish with sink water to make sure I get any that I could swallow completely out. Even if I do swallow some, it's so slight that it probably can't even count as a small tsp. I use it to pretend to eat things and for cravings too. I think it's fine as long as you're careful about swallowing it or not.

yayyyy thank you for that, i literally use the exact same method as u! thank god i finally see a post of someone losing weight by doing this

• Leva, Uselessfatalities333 and TobiIsSickAsFrick like this

HW:190 SW:174.3 GW1:170 GW2:165 GW3:160 GW4:155 GW5:150  GW6:140  GW7:130  GW: 120 UGW:110

#5 Uselessfatalities333

Uselessfatalities333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:09 PM

Oh really?! That's cool then, lol. Hope your weight loss works out for you. :)
  • nowimfat likes this

#6 Guest_skelliton_*

Guest_skelliton_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:35 AM

i lost about 300 grams the day after and then gained 2kgs the day after that and it never went back down, even after a few weeks. but then i got sent to ip for 3 weeks and forced to gain weight so like it never went down lol

#7 the ninja

the ninja

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4257 posts
  • LocationIn a galaxy far, far away

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:29 PM

started doing chew and spit today and so far feels like a good plan for when you get intense cravings. i researched it and totally understand the consequences in terms of your health (gum deterioration, ulcers etc.). In my opinion these things probably happen to those who c/s in a binging method and do it very often. If im only doing it like once or twice a day for only 5-10 miuntes at a time to satisfy chip, chocolate cravings or a dinner that my mom made that she wants me to eat, i don't think there is as high of a chance of me rotting my teeth or getting an ulcer. i also see lots of posts about people actually gaining weight because they do hour long episodes and accidentally swallow the food, my question is has anybody actually lost weight doing c/s if they are using at as a craving satisfier not a binge? let me know if you lost weight and how much/how quickly you lost it, thanks!

C/s isn't a diet or anything
It makes some gain
CW:80
LW:76
HW:95
GW:75
UGW:65
diagnosis: RESTRICTED ANOREXIA NERVOSA WITH BULIMIC TENDENCIES

#8 Inside-Outside

Inside-Outside

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • LocationIn the most magical yet shittiest island: UK

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:00 PM

I'm confused, how do you C/S infront of your family for a whole meal!? I've only ever chewed as much as I could and spit it out into a tissue pretending to wipe my nose with a cold, just literally once tho otherwise my fam will be on my case like I'm a criminal.
  • bunn likes this

~ W a n n a b e b a b y c a k e s ~

HW: 13st. 6lbs --- Size 16 UK --- BMI 32.3 (June 2020)
LW: 9st. 8lbs --- Size 12 UK --- BMI 22.8 (October 2017)
GW1: 8st. 1lb --- Size 8 UK --- BMI 19.3 (March 2021)

GW2: 7st. 7lbs --- Size 6/4 UK --- BMI 17.9 (April 2021)
GW2: 6st. 13lbs --- Size 2 UK --- BMI 16.5 (May 2021)

UGW: 6st. 4lbs --- Children's Clothing Sizes --- BMI 15 (June 2021)

#9 nowimfat

nowimfat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:54 AM

I'm confused, how do you C/S infront of your family for a whole meal!? I've only ever chewed as much as I could and spit it out into a tissue pretending to wipe my nose with a cold, just literally once tho otherwise my fam will be on my case like I'm a criminal.

sorry for late reply, idk if this was directed at me or not, but i usually do not eat meals with my family, we are very casual about that kind of stuff so i always eat in my room and then i just spit into garbage in my room or in bag then poor bag into toilet and flush!

#10 Guest_Abi C._*

Guest_Abi C._*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:22 AM

I feel like I gain weight from chew/spit too much.  That's maybe just me, though.  I do it way too much, and I waste a lot of food and money on it.  I also know that I swallow some (sometimes purposely, but sometimes accidentally because things like frosting and chocolate are melty and hard not to swallow).  When I'm done chew/spitting food, I have no idea how many calories to record.  For me, it's also never satisfying.  I can chew/spit an entire box of donuts, at which point I've likely swallowed at least one donut's worth of calories, but I don't know for sure, so I have no idea how many calories to record --- AND I am still craving donuts!

My New Year's Resolution, decided right now: Stop chewing and spitting food!

It's surprisingly addictive, and for me, it is not helpful at all!

• nowimfat likes this

#11 Inside-Outside

Inside-Outside

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • LocationIn the most magical yet shittiest island: UK

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:46 AM

sorry for late reply, idk if this was directed at me or not, but i usually do not eat meals with my family, we are very casual about that kind of stuff so i always eat in my room and then i just spit into garbage in my room or in bag then poor bag into toilet and flush!

Ohhh I see! My family are very meal time, traditional - heck FOOD orientated and it just makes me so agitated 😫

~ W a n n a b e b a b y c a k e s ~

HW: 13st. 6lbs --- Size 16 UK --- BMI 32.3 (June 2020)
LW: 9st. 8lbs --- Size 12 UK --- BMI 22.8 (October 2017)
GW1: 8st. 1lb --- Size 8 UK --- BMI 19.3 (March 2021)

GW2: 7st. 7lbs --- Size 6/4 UK --- BMI 17.9 (April 2021)
GW2: 6st. 13lbs --- Size 2 UK --- BMI 16.5 (May 2021)

UGW: 6st. 4lbs --- Children's Clothing Sizes --- BMI 15 (June 2021)

#12 Not So Skinny Hermit

Not So Skinny Hermit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSomewhere else

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:48 PM

I chew and spit at least once everyday. Usually a complete meal (cereal, oatmeal, pop tart, breakfast bar, sandwich etc) and I've been losing weight. I also almost never swallow my food accidentally, I think it mostly depends on how you chew and spit the food. I hold it mostly in the front of my mouth and am sure to spit it out when it's starting to get all in my saliva and stuff really building up and then I spit a little extra so get the rest of my flavored spit out. (Sorry, I know that's gross) I also use my fingers to rub around my the sides of my gums and swish with sink water to make sure I get any that I could swallow completely out. Even if I do swallow some, it's so slight that it probably can't even count as a small tsp. I use it to pretend to eat things and for cravings too. I think it's fine as long as you're careful about swallowing it or not. I've even put some drink in my mouth and swished to get the taste then spat it out, and swished with water afterwards and spat. It's really helpful to chew your food really well then spit it into the sink drain, because it slides down really easily and so it makes it easier to get rid of.

This is exactly what I do. I consistently lose this way.

The only possible ways you can gain when you c/s are if you are actually swallowing a significant amount of the food, or if you’re still eating more calories than you burn the rest of the time. It’s not like there’s some magical way that c/s puts on pounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • extrasmoothtoiletpaper, lucky37, nowimfat and 2 others like this
Height 5'4"

HW 145 lb
CW 115 lb
LW 100 (with no muscle)
GW 110 lb
UGW 105 lb

weight.png

Vegetarian most of my life.

#13 ballerinafat

ballerinafat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:54 PM

I feel like I gain weight from chew/spit too much.  That's maybe just me, though.  I do it way too much, and I waste a lot of food and money on it.  I also know that I swallow some (sometimes purposely, but sometimes accidentally because things like frosting and chocolate are melty and hard not to swallow).  When I'm done chew/spitting food, I have no idea how many calories to record.  For me, it's also never satisfying.  I can chew/spit an entire box of donuts, at which point I've likely swallowed at least one donut's worth of calories, but I don't know for sure, so I have no idea how many calories to record --- AND I am still craving donuts!

My New Year's Resolution, decided right now: Stop chewing and spitting food!

It's surprisingly addictive, and for me, it is not helpful at all!

Very addictive.  And it can really cause weight gain because insulin is activated the moment food is tasted, apparently.  So the actual amount of calories consumed is not particularly relevant.

I still end up doing it a few times a week, usually to "offset" a binge attack.  Nuts are the worst.

#14 Guest_Abi C._*

Guest_Abi C._*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:59 PM

Very addictive.  And it can really cause weight gain because insulin is activated the moment food is tasted, apparently.  So the actual amount of calories consumed is not particularly relevant.

I still end up doing it a few times a week, usually to "offset" a binge attack.  Nuts are the worst.

It's incredibly addictive!  I really, really do need to break the habit.  I need to find some kind of replacement behavior for when I want to chew and spit.  Haven't quite worked out what that will be.  If I can figure that out, I'll be set, I hope? ...

• ballerinafat likes this

#15 Not So Skinny Hermit

Not So Skinny Hermit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSomewhere else

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:24 PM

And it can really cause weight gain because insulin is activated the moment food is tasted, apparently.

It’s true about the insulin release. But that wouldn’t actually cause you to gain weight, would it? It might just make it more difficult to lose.

I do lose very consistently with c/s, for what it’s worth. I also exercise and track my calories, so it’s not like it’s magic. But it keeps me from bingeing and lets me have all the flavors I crave.

• shamesandpraises, l.aj and ballerinafat like this
Height 5'4"

HW 145 lb
CW 115 lb
LW 100 (with no muscle)
GW 110 lb
UGW 105 lb

weight.png

#16 shamesandpraises

shamesandpraises

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:24 PM

I used to c/s a lot, it's actually how my ED manifested and I lost weight through that. It wasn't oodles, but it was about fifteen pounds in three months. 

But, it's also super easy to get caught. 

I used to hide my c/s food in ziplocks in a box, and toss them at night or when no one was home, and eventually got found out. Someone else already mentioned how they get rid of the evidence, just be mindful that it can be a pretty big hassle, especially if you're like me and paranoid of clogging the sink or toilet  :P 

Basically, what I take from the mixed responses is that you can lose weight, but it really depends on the method. If you're careful and thorough, you're not likely to gain. If you swallow a significant amount from your session, or if you obtain excess calories from elsewhere, then you'll likely gain. 

• Not So Skinny Hermit, ballerinafat and Holls... like this

I feel marooned in this body,
Deserted, my organs can go on without me
You can't fly these wings
You can't sleep in this box with me

#17 ballerinafat

ballerinafat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:25 AM

It’s true about the insulin release. But that wouldn’t actually cause you to gain weight, would it? It might just make it more difficult to lose.

I do lose very consistently with c/s, for what it’s worth. I also exercise and track my calories, so it’s not like it’s magic. But it keeps me from bingeing and lets me have all the flavors I crave.

#18 ballerinafat

ballerinafat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:26 AM

It depends how well you continue to metabolize insulin, I guess. I don’t understand diabetes very well but that’s apparently part of the weight issue with many diabetics.

Hormones are crazy monsters!
  • 98lbx and Not So Skinny Hermit like this

#19 Not So Skinny Hermit

Not So Skinny Hermit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSomewhere else

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:22 PM

It depends how well you continue to metabolize insulin, I guess. I don’t understand diabetes very well but that’s apparently part of the weight issue with many diabetics.

Hormones are crazy monsters!

Good points! I’m apparently lucky in that regard.

I wonder how much getting regular exercise is a factor? I’m pretty religious about getting in at least half an hour of good exercise every day.

• ballerinafat likes this
Height 5'4"

HW 145 lb
CW 115 lb
LW 100 (with no muscle)
GW 110 lb
UGW 105 lb

weight.png

#20 ballerinafat

ballerinafat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:24 PM

Good points! I’m apparently lucky in that regard.

I wonder how much getting regular exercise is a factor? I’m pretty religious about getting in at least half an hour of good exercise every day.

Exercise is absolutely a factor! I know plenty of sources say just maintaining a deficit is all you need, and if all you care about are numbers that’s sort of true, but if you care about what those numbers look like, you have to exercise. Can’t spot reduce fat, but you can encourage fat to vacate the overall premises more rapidly. I exercise every day.

Some say it’s 80%diet, 20% fitness. I think it varies from individual to individual, and definitely with age.
  • Not So Skinny Hermit likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chew, spit, rumination, weight, loss, disorder, advice, skinny, fat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users