Latinas y Latinos - Page 2 - Minorities - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Latinas y Latinos

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 glitterati

glitterati

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:43 PM

Soy árabe y mexicana :) 

dance-1.gif

#22 rutten

rutten

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1272 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:05 PM

I’m Brazilian. LATINA!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Shadow Cat likes this

tumblr_nadkc6zgVz1swogako1_400.gif

• Guests

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:20 PM

I am a Mexican- American :)

#24 xcherissa

xcherissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:39 PM

latina criado por el lavado blanco southerners.... :^) abuela tries really hard to look white and claims to be white because she was raised in southeast US.

I wanna be pretty,

but I don't wanna be clean.

#25 skinnyley

skinnyley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:08 AM

I’m curious, what do yoy guys “count” as being Latina? I know some people say you have to be 50% or more for any culture, but I’m not more than 25% of any ethnicity. I look more Mexican than anyone in my family (and very similar to my mom, who’s half Mexican), and she’s had me identity as Latina sometimes but overall said it’s my decision. What do u all think?
• 5’1” • CW: 123.6 • GW: 100 • UGW: 95 •
“I wanna feel weightless, cause that would be enough”
-Weightless, All Time Low

#26 Ofelia

Ofelia

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 4983 posts
  • LocationThe Yellow Wallpaper

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:58 PM

I’m curious, what do yoy guys “count” as being Latina? I know some people say you have to be 50% or more for any culture, but I’m not more than 25% of any ethnicity. I look more Mexican than anyone in my family (and very similar to my mom, who’s half Mexican), and she’s had me identity as Latina sometimes but overall said it’s my decision. What do u all think?

This is just me and my own thoughts-

I think that if someone grew up with a "Latino culture" at home and/or has spent a significant amount of time with any relatives who held and taught them the culture and/or have stereotypical Latino facial features* that leads to them being perceived as Latino and treated accordingly, then I'd definitely count them as Latino.

Almost everyone else would be more of a case by case basis + whether or not they personally identify themselves as Latino.

However, if someone has no ties to the Latino community as a whole (as in no Latino parents/grandparents/ancestry and/or weren't raised in the culture and/or never lived in Latin America or other predominantly Latino communities), then I wouldn't consider them to be Latino even if they wanted to identify as such.

I'd call you Latino if you felt comfortable identifying yourself that way due to both your physical appearance and your mom's background.

-----
*I'm referring to what the general public thinks of as the Latino "look" here. Obviously not all Latinos have these physical features.
  • sleepyalexis likes this

Some of the bravest and most inspiring people I have ever met:

TELL: Therapy Exploitation Link Line

Please don't hesitate to reach out to these lovely people if you ever find yourself in an abusive therapeutic setting.

You will find lots of understanding, emotional support, and possible resources.

They will believe you even when you have no hope.

Vhjyg.gif

Previous Avatars

Spoiler

#27 skinnyley

skinnyley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:14 PM

Thank you! That was super helpful
  • Ofelia likes this
• 5’1” • CW: 123.6 • GW: 100 • UGW: 95 •
“I wanna feel weightless, cause that would be enough”
-Weightless, All Time Low

#28 Guest_vortioxetine_*

Guest_vortioxetine_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:39 PM

My parents are from Paraguay!

#29 tandee

tandee

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Locationazuremyst isle

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:44 AM

I am half Spanish (from spain) and half american, if that works

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tumblr_mffyg4ygvO1r3gi71o1_500.gif

5'7 - 170 cm

hw - 188 lbs
cw - 136.2 lbs
☽ lw - 130 lbs
☽ ugw - 100 lbs

• Guests

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

i’m 100 por ciento mexicana y sigo viviendo donde nací ahre sisi

#31 Guest_CinnamonPillow_*

Guest_CinnamonPillow_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:27 PM

Hispanic-American here. 

#32 LaGataNegra

LaGataNegra

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3518 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:37 AM

I'm half Puerto Rican, a quarter Dominican, and a quarter Haitian. But born and raised in America.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#33 Salmon

Salmon

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:15 PM

Mexican but my direct family is v white washed

• Keepitsecret? likes this

#34 Guest_seethecreep_*

Guest_seethecreep_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:35 PM

Mexicana 100% I speak English very well tho.

¡Otra mexicana aquí! ‍♀️

#35 Guest_ANikki_*

Guest_ANikki_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:35 PM

I'm 50% Colombian and 50% Spanish. Living in Colombia

#36 Café con Leche

Café con Leche

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:28 PM

100% Mexican raised in the U.S. 🇲🇽🇺🇸

#37 AnnaLizLisa

AnnaLizLisa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:22 AM

I'm Mexican-American. I grew up in a community that was sort of half Latinx and half White (though there were other minorities also), but I never really had many real close friends and my parents never really taught me very much about our heritage. I feel kind of fake and really disconnected from my culture and heritage sometimes. Part of me really wants to reconnect myself with Mexican culture, but another part of me almost wants to throw it away because 1) I can't stand most of my family, 2) the shitty things I witnessed and experienced whenever I went to Mexico, and 3) all of the shitty things I've heard about Mexico (that I know are true) from other Mexican people. I don't know what to do and I feel like it's breaking my heart because I don't really want to end up White-washed and when I have children I want them to know about and be proud of their heritage...

She/Her 💁🏻 | 20yo 😪 | Bi 💖💜💙 | Latina 🇺🇸🇲🇽 | Whale 🐋

HW:176lbs CW:160lbs LW:152lbs

170, 165, 160, 155, 150, 145, 140,
135, 130, 125, 120, 115, 110,

95, 90, 85, 80

(Stats last updated 06.09.19)

#38 HarderHarmonies

HarderHarmonies

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:43 AM

50% venezuelan 50% german, born and raised in Germany tho
Trying to get better?

#39 ChasingTheHorizon

ChasingTheHorizon

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3929 posts
  • LocationEast Coast :)

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:31 AM

I'm Mexican-American. I grew up in a community that was sort of half Latinx and half White (though there were other minorities also), but I never really had many real close friends and my parents never really taught me very much about our heritage. I feel kind of fake and really disconnected from my culture and heritage sometimes. Part of me really wants to reconnect myself with Mexican culture, but another part of me almost wants to throw it away because 1) I can't stand most of my family, 2) the shitty things I witnessed and experienced whenever I went to Mexico, and 3) all of the shitty things I've heard about Mexico (that I know are true) from other Mexican people. I don't know what to do and I feel like it's breaking my heart because I don't really want to end up White-washed and when I have children I want them to know about and be proud of their heritage...

Im not Latina, I’m just lurking. I like seeing the diversity of MPA. I hope you see this. I hope you don’t take it the wrong way. I really just want to help.

I know how you feel! I’m Nigerian-American with no strong ties to Nigeria. I don’t know my language very well. I want to connect to the culture but it seems daunting, like where do I start. Now about the reasons you want to throw away one side of you:

1. Totally understand. My family is the worst. Unfortunately, we don’t get to choose our biological families. But maybe you can find another group of Latinos or Mexicans to get in with. Don’t let them ruin how you feel about being Mexican.

2. There are really shitty things about every country. Look at what’s been taking place right here in America. But there are also super beautiful things. A lot of countries are struggling post colonialism. Maybe focusing on Mexican history and heritage could help? Sorry about your bad experiences.

3. Completely understand this. I heard awful things about what goes on behind close doors in Nigeria when I visited, it disgusted me. Especially how nonchalant and resigned everyone was about it. It could all stop if people just stood up together. You sound like a kind and thoughtful person, so I’m sure there are other great Mexican people out there too. Everything isn’t so black and white.

If you don’t want to be white washed, then you have to find a way to accept the good and the bad. The same way you do about being an American. Start with small things that give you pride about being Mexican. I hope this helped :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#40 Kamila8319

Kamila8319

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 02:25 PM

Half Puerto Rican half African American. I can’t believe I found a community of Latinos lol
Does anyone want to Kik? Kahmillamadrid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users