How old are your kids and do they know about your ED? - Page 4 - Parents with ED - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

How old are your kids and do they know about your ED?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 Ababy

Ababy

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 June 2021 - 08:09 AM

They are at a difficult age to tell them - but my guess is that the older two already have an idea what is goig on. Maybe just talk to the older two more openly and canidedly?

My daughter is only 3 but it is crazy how perceptive she already is - she studies my plate and then asks me where certain foods are hat are on her plate but not mine. Obviously at her age she has no idea whats going on, bit one day she will piece it all together.

My daughter is 5 and sounds very much the same. She has also commented how she loves her 'skinny mummy' which shows she has noticed the difference in my body size compared with other parents of kids at school, park, etc, not as though she's actually worried, just saying she loves me how I am-type of thing. As she gets more and more perceptive I can see her becoming worried about it and NOT loving it because it will become clear it's a disorder. 

• back_to_skinny likes this

LW: 26kg Lowest BMI: 9.8   HW: 44kg Highest BMI 16.6 

Current BMI, 11

#62 Ababy

Ababy

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1102 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 June 2021 - 08:17 AM

I keep many darker parts about myself and my past from my daughter and I would never ever burden her or chance messing her up by sharing my ED with her. She's almost 5 and wants to be just like me. So I never talk about weight or anything around her. I love cooking and we cook and bake together and she eats healthy home cooked foods almost every day. She honestly doesn't even know what the word "fat" means and it isn't in her vocabulary yet, though I'm sure that will change when she starts school next year. She sees me eat because I sit down and eat meals with her, but I just eat very little of what's on my plate. It helps that she's in preschool so she eats lunch there 5x a week and in the mornings I'm just rushing around getting her ready that I drink my coffee and get myself dressed and ready to leave the house while she has breakfast. But back to the post, no... I would never ever tell her about my ED in fear that it might trigger her to develop an ED

Not even when she's older ? Won't she realise the truth then herself anyway?

Current BMI, 11

#63 inevitablestarvation

inevitablestarvation

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 08:39 AM

unfortunately not kids, if this isn’t okay i can delete this. but i’m 16 and there was a point I was my little nephews main caregiver to the point he called me mom mistakenly many times.

my parents traveled a lot and when my sister was suppose to be watching us (14, 15) at the time — i did when she went out and so on — she of course asked but i don’t have guts to dismiss a request.

anyhow, i’ve had him walk in on my various times passed out when he was younger, throwing up in the shower when he was little, and so on. passed out working out at midnight and he was asleep but we were alone! what if he woke up and walked out the door?

it’s scary to think about. to remember? how selfish i felt and i am in recovery. up to 97-106 and weight restored and super proud. but i am scared he remembers it or perhaps he’s too young / was too young

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Ababy likes this

#64 *beautiful*liar*

*beautiful*liar*

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 June 2021 - 06:50 AM

My daughter is nearly 6 and my son is 1.5 and they don't. My daughter is a very picky eater and it bothers me every mealtime as I don't want her to have any issues with food at all

• Ababy likes this

#65 littlebug91

littlebug91

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:44 PM

My kids are 3.5 years and 6 months. No they don't know about it and I hope they never do. My husband knows about it, but he says I need to hit my rock before I want to ask for recovery. 

• Ababy likes this
  • Current Diet: Restrictive to under 900

#66 Kermitleggs

Kermitleggs

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 July 2021 - 10:24 AM

my oldest is 13 , but she lives with her Grandparents

my son is 5

and the baby is 7 months

no

no

and no

#67 Ababy

Ababy

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1102 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 July 2021 - 10:33 PM

My kids are 3.5 years and 6 months. No they don't know about it and I hope they never do. My husband knows about it, but he says I need to hit my rock before I want to ask for recovery. 

There's a few people like yourself here who are just terrified of their kids finding out. I sort of feel it's inevitable considering they will grow up one day, won't be little forever, but I'm also not comfortable with telling lies or omission lies, particularly if my kid asks about it. I can't imagine not telling the truth about something so big, and so medical and psychological?

I don't mean any hate, I'm just curious as to how some of you think they won't find out and how you feel comfortable with not telling them if they ask. I'm trying to understand.

Current BMI, 11

#68 dreamingbig87

dreamingbig87

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 August 2021 - 01:15 PM

14, 2, 9 months. no they don't. well my 14 yr old has obviously caught on to some of my weird food habits

#69 fistfightinggravity

fistfightinggravity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCandanavia

Posted 31 August 2021 - 12:37 PM

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum! Mine is 14, because of my history (ED since 12) I have made such an effort throughout her life to encourage a healthy relationship with food (for us this was intuitive eating, no restrictions or limits, no good or bad foods, just learning to listen to your body), and a healthy body image. But I have had several relapses in her lifetime and I am always terrified she will notice, especially as she gets older. I'm afraid she will think I'm a hypocrite for not "practicing what I preach", which would be a healthy relationship with food and my body. But of course I do believe those things are best and wish I had them. I just get sucked back into old patterns.

I've been fist fighting gravity

Since the day I learned how to breathe

But I still wake up on the same cold floor

I fell asleep on

CW: 111.5

LW: 90

GWs: 118 115 113 110 104(underweight BMI!) 100 95 90 ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users