Dermatophagia - Pica Disorder - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Dermatophagia

dermatophagia skin disorder bite cuticle

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Yssn

Yssn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:00 PM

I don't really know if dermatophagia is considered a pica disorder? But basically you have this disorder if you bite/pick your cuticle or the skin next to your nails/on your finger. I had it since i was like 10 and I don't know what caused it. Do anyone of you also have this illness?
  • michellelelelmao and The_ana_boy like this

#2 PeterPann

PeterPann

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2548 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:55 PM

I don't really know if dermatophagia is considered a pica disorder? But basically you have this disorder if you bite/pick your cuticle or the skin next to your nails/on your finger. I had it since i was like 10 and I don't know what caused it. Do anyone of you also have this illness?

Well shit. I've always done it too, but I always chalked it up to anxiety. If I'm doing okay, my cuticles look great. If not, then they look like they do now. Absolute shit.

• Yssn likes this

tumblr_nypcytO9Nw1uykimfo1_500.gif

Height: 5'2"

Hw: 125 lbs (never again)
Lw: 83 lbs

Cw: 111 lbs
UGW: To be able to function and have a life while being happy with where my weight is.

Date since last si:

11/6/17

10/31/16

11/03/15

10/22/15

10/20/15

10/15/15

8/04/14

Life goal: To be happy and love myself for who I am--not just my looks

You're ripped at every edge, but you're a masterpiece

#3 farmersteve

farmersteve

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationBy Heidi's hut

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:55 AM

I do that too! I've always done it on some extent. Even now that I'm a grown up and I don't bite my nails anymore, I still often go for the cuticles, sometimes causing small bleedings.

I never thought much of it though, I always considered it a sign of stress (as I do it a lot when stressed).

tumblr_nr23wdx7bj1qknyvjo1_500.gif

#4 ArtAngeIs

ArtAngeIs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:53 AM

hello! I have dermatophagia and dermatilomania and have done since I was a little kid. For me it's a trait of my autism because it helps me to self regulate when my emotions become to much but it's also a mild OCD thing. But yeah I constantly have to carry around gloves and band-aids with me because my fingers especially get so painful and bleed a lot  :(

17 tumblr_lqwdh1l4TA1qcfn0j.gif gemini tumblr_lqwdh1l4TA1qcfn0j.gif uk

height: 162cm

CW: 111.5

GW1: 110 tumblr_lqwdh1l4TA1qcfn0j.gif GW2: 105 tumblr_lqwdh1l4TA1qcfn0j.gif GW3: 100 tumblr_lqwdh1l4TA1qcfn0j.gif UGW: 95

I'm a nonbinary boy, my pronouns are he/him/his

"pain is beauty, and I'm the prettiest" -Violet Chachki

Spoiler

#5 Yssn

Yssn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:12 AM

hello! I have dermatophagia and dermatilomania and have done since I was a little kid. For me it's a trait of my autism because it helps me to self regulate when my emotions become to much but it's also a mild OCD thing. But yeah I constantly have to carry around gloves and band-aids with me because my fingers especially get so painful and bleed a lot :(

Yes, same, i have to carry bandages with me to school because it hurts when i write or it bleeds.

#6 WaningSun

WaningSun

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:11 AM

Wow this. Ever since I can remember I've picked obsessively at the skin around my thumb nails, even as a young child. They're all pink scar tissue now.

A few weeks ago I slammed my thumb in a car door by accident and I had a bruise under my nail. Now it's like the top layer of the nail has separated and I've loved picking at that (shhh but I also drained the bruise)

Wow I'm gross
  • farmersteve and Yssn like this

#7 EsotericNomad

EsotericNomad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:03 AM

My fingers look pretty good I think, but I always bite/chew/eat the harder, calloused skin that forms around my fingernails. I bite my nails when there's more than 2mm of white, but I only mess with the cuticles when i paint my nails. 

I wonder if I have dermatophagia too?

giphy.gif

Nomad's Calorie Counting

5' 1"

SW: 145

SBMI: 27.4

CW: 120

CBMI: 22.7

27% Body Fat

GW: 115

UGW: 100

#8 lAnaArsenicl

lAnaArsenicl

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:11 AM

I've always had it and never understood why people think it should be easy to just not do it? Because I don't think about it when i do it it just happens. Im better than i used to be though. I used to accidently make myself bleed a ton. It would get bad

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

517758670141822190416.png

“Do I want to die from the inside out or the outside in?” 
― Laurie Halse AndersonWintergirls

“I breathe in slowly. Food is life. I exhale, take another breath. Food is life.

And that's the problem. When you're alive, people can hurt you.

It's easier to crawl into a bone cage or a snowdrift of confusion.

It's easier to lock everybody out.” 

― Laurie Halse AndersonWintergirls

Highest weight = 200 lb   tumblr_inline_n1ptspPLb01qk1or3.gif

Current weight = 179.9 lbs tumblr_inline_n1ptugd2gw1qk1or3.gif

Lowest weight = 140.0 lbs  tumblr_inline_n1ptttCrGD1qk1or3.gif

Starting weight  = 200.0 lbs

Current weight  = 180.2 lbs

Goal weight  = 150.0 lbs

Ultimate Goal weight = 125.00 lbs

Fasting

DAY 1 - DAY 2 - DAY 3 - DAY 4 - DAY 4 - DAY 5 - DAY 6 - DAY 7

DAY 8 - DAY 9 - DAY 10 - DAY 11 - DAY 12 - DAY 13 - DAY 14

DAY = Completed

DAY = Failed

200.gif200.gif200.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dermatophagia, skin, disorder, bite, cuticle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users