Rating Ben & Jerry's Flavors - Food - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Rating Ben & Jerry's Flavors

ice cream ben and jerrys

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 ~Lux

~Lux

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:55 PM

Oh hey! So I have a thing for ice cream. And not that low quality fake shit either. I'm talking 260 calories minimum per half cup rich, decadent ice cream. And my favorite pint-supplier? Ben & Jerry's. Drool-worthy swirls of caramel and chocolate, globs of brownies and cookie dough with every bite, and of course the premium, extra-silky ice cream bases. So I've decided to review them all and post my thoughts here. I have quite a collection of reviews on my Instagram already, so I'll start by posting those and as I consume more B&J flavors I'll add them to this thread. I live in the US, so if you live elsewhere you can help by adding your thoughts on flavors that aren't available in the US (looking at you, Cookie Dough S'wich Up). And even if you do live in the US, feel free to add your opinions and pictures of whatever Ben & Jerry's flavors you try.

So for those of you looking for your next pint to buy, may this be a semi-reliable guide for you, and for those of you who would never dream of having delicious Ben & Jerry's ice cream even in your starvation-induced food dreams, I hope you can live vicariously through my ice cream escapades and derive whatever satisfaction you need through pictures of orgasmic ice cream.

The Flavors By (my probably biased) Rating

>10/10

The Tonight Dough

Half Baked

10/10

Americone Dream

Truffle Kerfuffle

Peanut Butter World

9/10

Caramel Almond Brittle (V)

8/10

Chunky Monkey

Chubby Hubby

Phish Food

7/10

Chocolate Fudge Brownie

Karamel Sutra Core

S'mores

Boom Chocolatta! Cookie Core

Vanilla Caramel Fudge

Spectacular Speculoos

6/10

Blondie Ambition

Coffee Caramel Fudge

5/10

Strawberry Cheesecake

I don't anticipate any flavors scoring below 5/10 tbh

List of Flavors to Review

Americone Dream

Banana Split

Blondie Ambition

Brewed to Matter

Brownie Batter Core

Caramel Almond Brittle (V)

Caramel Chocolate Cheesecake

Cheesecake Brownie

Cherry Garcia

Cherry Garcia (V)

Chillin' the Roast

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

Chocolate Fudge Brownie

Chocolate Fudge Brownie (V)

Chocolate Therapy

Chocolate Shake-it

Chubby Hubby

Chunky Monkey

Chunky Monkey (V)

Cinnamon Buns

Cinnamon Buns (V)

Coconuts for Caramel Core

Coconut Seven Layer Bar (V)

Coffee Caramel Fudge (V)

Coffee Toffee Bar Crunch

Coffee, Coffee, BuzzBuzzBuzz!

Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Core

Everything But The...

Half Baked

Karamel Sutra Core

Keep Caramel and Cookie On

Milk & Cookies

Mint Chocolate Cookie

New York Super Fudge Chunk

Oat of this Swirled

PB & Cookies (V)

Peanut Buttah Cookie Core

Peanut Butter Cup

Peanut Butter Half Baked (V)

Peanut Butter Fudge Core

Peanut Butter World

Phish Food

Pistachio Pistachio

Red Velvet Cake

S'mores

Salted Caramel Almond

Salted Caramel Core

Spectacular Speculoos Cookie Core

Strawberry Cheesecake

The Tonight Dough

Triple Caramel Chunk

Truffle Kerfuffle

Urban Bourbon

Vanilla

Vanilla Caramel fudge

Vanilla Toffee Bar Crunch

Forgive me if it takes a while for me to post all the reviews I have already. I have to go through and edit some... Let me know if you have any suggestions as well.

• leefromthejasmndragn likes this

I really like Ben & Jerry's

Stats

Spoiler

#2 ~Lux

~Lux

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:15 AM

Chocolate Fudge Brownie

Chocolate ice cream with fudge brownies

First up is Chocolate Fudge Brownie, a classic Ben & Jerry's flavor. While I am a HUGE chocolate fan, I'm not actually too big on chocolate ice cream. I think it's because of the relatively high saturated fat content in chocolate, which means the ice cream has to compromise on either the chocolate flavor or the ice cream texture. Ben & Jerry's chocolate base is really among the better ones I've tried, but it still doesn't thrill me. What does thrill me? Those FANTASTIC CHUNKS OF FUDGE BROWNIE. They're seriously dense and chewy and perfect, and I wish the entire pint was filled with them. Admittedly, the last time I had this flavor was almost two years ago so my recollection might not be perfect, but while I did enjoy it enough to split the entire pint with a friend in one go, I'm too intrigued by many other more interesting B&J flavors to go back to this one any time soon.

260 calories per 1/2 cup

4Kn0jpX.png

7/10

Stats

Spoiler

#3 ~Lux

~Lux

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:31 AM

The Tonight Dough

Caramel & chocolate ice creams with chocolate cookie swirls & gobs of chocolate chip cookie dough & peanut butter cookie dough

Oh. My. God. Oh my god ohmygod holy fucking shit do I love this flavor. Unfortunately there always seems to be more chocolate than caramel ice cream in the pint, and as a big caramel fan that is really the only complaint I have. That cookie swirl is amazing, both the taste and the crunchy/gritty texture, and this flavor does not skimp on the swirl! Add cookie dough gobs on top of all this? It's seriously heaven. One thing to keep in mind is that the cookie dough doesn't soften at the same rate as the ice cream, so if you prefer having your ice cream a little melty watch out for that. If I could only eat one ice cream for the rest of my life, though, I might just pick this one.

310 calories per 1/2 cup

ChIONBQ.jpg

12/10

• xcrunningonempty, Happylittlevegemite, Mable and 1 other like this

Stats

Spoiler

#4 Guest_OhWhatFunHah_*

Guest_OhWhatFunHah_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:33 AM

Ah, my kind of thread.

Personally, I love their Cinnamon Bun flavor so much, it’s hard to beat that. (I do like your chocolate-y choices, though!)

I don’t care for fruity flavors in general, and hard pieces (like big chocolate chunks) in my lovely soft ice cream can actually ruin my day.

Will be back later to put up a rating list!
  • cherryAloe likes this

#5 ~Lux

~Lux

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:13 PM

Karamel Sutra Core

Chocolate and caramel ice creams with fudge chips and a soft caramel core

I'll be the first to admit I have an unhealthy love for caramel. I'm also pretty into chocolate, so in theory this flavor is a hole-in-one for me. And while it is quite delicious, I think my expectations led me to be a bit underwhelmed. Maybe it's the sparsity of the chunks, since fudge chips are considerably smaller than globs of cookie dough. or maybe it's because the pint is so divided - like there's the caramel ice cream on one half, chocolate ice cream on the other, and a column of caramel in the middle. If I buy this again I'll try dishing it out into a bowl to try to get those flavors to swirl together. I think if all the components were more combined in the pint, this could be a flavor I'd return to frequently.

270 calories per 1/2 cup

bmtC5zH.png

7/10

• Happylittlevegemite likes this

Stats

Spoiler

#6 ~Lux

~Lux

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:15 PM

Ah, my kind of thread.

Personally, I love their Cinnamon Bun flavor so much, it’s hard to beat that. (I do like your chocolate-y choices, though!)

I don’t care for fruity flavors in general, and hard pieces (like big chocolate chunks) in my lovely soft ice cream can actually ruin my day.

Will be back later to put up a rating list!

It's been so long since I've had Cinnamon Bun I would have to try it again before reviewing it! Looking forward to hearing your B&J opinions!

Stats

Spoiler

#7 ~Lux

~Lux

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:32 PM

Americone Dream

Vanilla ice cream with fudge covered waffle cone pieces and a caramel swirl

I must admit I wasn't too enthused by the idea of this flavor when I first bought it, but from the first bite (which is already missing in the picture) I was smitten. The fudge on the waffle cone pieces keep them nice and crispy while adding bits of decadent chocolate. The pieces are plentiful throughout the pint as well, which pleases me very much. And the caramel swirl? So wonderfully caramel-y and generously swirled through the pint. And while vanilla can seem like a rather boring flavor, it accompanies the other flavors of this ice cream in a way that lets them shine while still providing a nice, solid foundation.

280 calories per 1/2 cup

Hn7xMhS.png

10/10

• usikker, scalysnake and Seekingskinny123 like this

Stats

Spoiler

#8 ~Lux

~Lux

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:57 PM

Sorry it's been a few days since the last update! I'll try to get a couple up tonight!

S'mores

Chocolate ice cream with fudge chunks, toasted marshmallow, and graham cracker swirls

I actually just got this flavor for the first time last week when my mom bought it for me. I've scoured the ingredients lists before, but even though there's no trace of gelatin, I'm still wary of flavors containing marshmallows, so this flavor is not one I would have purchased if it were my choice. I do remember enjoying s'mores as a child before I went vegetarian, however, so I was hoping this flavor would make me nostalgic and take me back to campfires at summer camps. And while I could see the swirls of graham crackers and marshmallows, all I could taste was chocolate ice cream with fudge flakes. Definitely among the better chocolate ice cream flavors I've had - it kind of reminds me of hot chocolate, only frozen (on second thought maybe that means I did taste some marshmallow) - but it's just not the flavor it's supposed to be.

310 calories per 1/2 cup

dgKPz2W.jpg

7/10

Stats

Spoiler

#9 Mable

Mable

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:06 AM

Oh my god, tonight dough is the meaning of life.

I’d say if you like that, try Oat of this World. So good! Favorite before that was half baked. I have a cookie dough thing :)

Medium good flavors for me are speculos, New York fudge, strawberry cheesecake, and the coffee flavors. I’ve never had a bad flavor. But oh god, the tonight dough. Nothing compares, not even another pint of tonight dough.

#10 ~Lux

~Lux

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:01 PM

Oh my god, tonight dough is the meaning of life.

I’d say if you like that, try Oat of this World. So good! Favorite before that was half baked. I have a cookie dough thing :)

Omg I think you're my soulmate. Half baked, the tonight dough, and oat of this swirled are my three most favorite flavors. You have great taste my friend!
  • Mable likes this

Stats

Spoiler

#11 Guest_OhWhatFunHah_*

Guest_OhWhatFunHah_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

Ok, I can tell you right now what made the butt of my list:

1) Urban Bourbon:
9cc1c32d7db43b4e926197ad8141d689.jpg
I literally had to force myself to eat this pint like the good little trash can I am, and I was mad all the way to the bottom.

It tasted like horribly bitter caramel, and I felt personally insulted by the multitude of big hard shards of chocolate chips that this ice cream was laced with like the black devil himself. Just, no.

2) Red Velvet Cake:
21d9d3109ffecb3ab855f5da0598649b.jpg
I should’ve known better. I hadn’t had anything Red Velvet before (not a thing in Europe), so I got pretty excited when I found the Red Velvet Oreos at big lots.

Afterwards I was at Target, and what did I see in the freezer? Red Velvet B&J’s. A sign, right? Yes - a sign that the food gods hate me. I very much disliked the Oreos - I could taste the bitterness of the artificial red color AND the fakeness of the artificial vanilla/cream cheese flavor in the cookie icing. I ate a few soaked in almond milk and had to throw the rest away, which I wasn’t happy about, but even the possums in our yard deserve better than that.

The ice cream wasn’t much better; it barely had any taste at all - except for the reddish cake parts that had the same slight “red #40” bitterness to them - without actually containing it, so great job on messing that up, Ben. Or was it you, Jerry? Apart from that, it was just pretty bland.

Lesson learned:

Red Velvet - Apart from that food color that’s not even legal in Europe, there’s a good reason that stuff isn’t popular over there.

Urban Bourbon - maybe a nice birthday gift for your pops - give it to him with a side of Werther’s.
  • ~Lux and Mable like this

#12 ~Lux

~Lux

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:00 PM

Chunky Monkey

Banana ice cream with fudge chunks and walnuts

In the interest of transparency, I'm going to admit straight off the top that I was possibly a little drunk when I tried this flavor. I was at a friend's apartment and she'd decided that she didn't like the flavor so she gifted me the rest of the pint. When picking out flavors, up to this point my eyes would skip right past Chunky Monkey because I'm not keen on banana as a stand-alone flavor and nuts aren't really my thing. I wasn't about to pass on free ice cream, though, and what do you know I really really loved it! I guess it's a Ben & Jerry's classic for a reason. If you'd asked me right after I ate it, I'd probably give the ice cream a 9 or 10, but I'm hesitant to trust that since I was fairly intoxicated at the time and need to try it sober before making an actual informed decision.

300 calories per 1/2 cup

ALunjh0.jpg

8/10

• Mable likes this

Stats

Spoiler

#13 Guest_OhWhatFunHah_*

Guest_OhWhatFunHah_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:26 PM

So, today I had the S‘mores flavor, and I’m a bit disappointed.

The chocolate ice cream was very nice, but while I was able to see the „roasted marshmallows“ swirls, I could barely taste them, they just didn’t stand out enough.

Same goes for the Graham Cracker „swirls“ - I didn’t even notice those until the very end, when I happened upon a couple of crumbs at the bottom of the pint.

9/10 for the solid chocolate flavor,
1/10 for the disappointment
= 5/10 for Ben & Jerry‘s S‘mores, would not get again.

888f0a7e3f6aaa66eaa70a20db778574.jpg
  • ~Lux likes this

#14 ~Lux

~Lux

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:27 PM

So, today I had the S‘mores flavor, and I’m a bit disappointed.

The chocolate ice cream was very nice, but while I was able to see the „roasted marshmallows“ swirls, I could barely taste them, they just didn’t stand out enough.

Same goes for the Graham Cracker „swirls“ - I didn’t even notice those until the very end, when I happened upon a couple of crumbs at the bottom of the pint.

9/10 for the solid chocolate flavor,
1/10 for the disappointment of marshmallows and crackers not standing out enough
= 5/10 for Ben & Jerry‘s S‘mores, would not get again.

RIGHT?! This is exactly how I felt!!

Stats

Spoiler

#15 Mable

Mable

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:36 PM

You guys pls continue this thread whenever possible, you’re doing a wonderful civic duty here
  • ~Lux likes this

#16 ~Lux

~Lux

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

Mocha & caramel ice creams with chocolate cookies, fudge flakes, and a chocolate cookie core

I was a sucker for the cookie swirl in The Tonight Dough, so what could be better than an entire core dedicated to this goodness? To my surprise, however, the cookie core actually tastes almost unbearably chalky when eaten by itself. This element is definitely meant to be swirled throughout an ice cream, so a bit gets incorporated into every bite. The chocolate cookies do that somewhat in this flavor, though I think sitting in the pint for a while makes them a bit soggy and stunts their potential. I think the mocha ice cream is pretty good if you like coffee ice cream - I get much more excited about caramel but Ben & Jerry's caramel ice cream always seems so light in flavor that when eaten with another element the caramel gets lost completely. So that's disappointing. All in all, Boom Chocolatta gets points off for not being as great as it could be, but when you take a bite with a bit of cookie core, a bit of each ice cream, and a bit of fudge chips it's still a very nice flavor.

310 calories per 1/2 cup

vk0Mevk.jpg NLuV1df.jpg

7/10

Stats

Spoiler

#17 ~Lux

~Lux

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:33 AM

Blondie Ambition

Buttery brown sugar ice cream with blonde brownies and butterscotch toffee flakes

Our winter subletter ate the rest of my Oat of this Swirled carton and bought me this flavor as a replacement. I can't actually remember if I've had this one before which I think is a testament to how forgettable it is. Who invented blondies in the first place? I guess if you're allergic to chocolate blondies might seem good, but I seriously can't with this whole "blonde brownie" business. IT'S CALLED A BROWNIE BECAUSE IT'S SUPPOSED TO HAVE CHOCOLATE. So yeah I didn't have high hopes for this ice cream and while it's definitely good, there are so many better flavors to have. I do quite like the butterscotch toffee flakes, but they're small and sparse in my pint at least. I'm glad our subletter left me this one though because I never would have bought it with my own money and thus would never have reviewed it. On another plus side, it has the lowest calorie count of any Ben & Jerry's flavor I've seen, but hun if you're going for luxury ice cream don't let a 20 calorie difference deprive you of the true bliss you deserve.

250 calories per 1/2 cup serving

gTK1kwJ.jpg

6/10

Stats

Spoiler

#18 Leanyweenie☆

Leanyweenie☆

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3625 posts
  • Locationsilent hill

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:37 AM

Fish food until the day that I die. Try fish food and tell me what you think about it. It's magnificent.
  • erstwhile and ~Lux like this
Posted Image

#19 ~Lux

~Lux

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:40 AM

Fish food until the day that I die. Try fish food and tell me what you think about it. It's magnificent.

I remember being surprised by how much I liked that one but I haven't had it for a couple years so I'm holding off on reviewing it until I get it again!

• Leanyweenie☆ likes this

Stats

Spoiler

#20 Leanyweenie☆

Leanyweenie☆

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3625 posts
  • Locationsilent hill

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:43 AM

I remember being surprised by how much I liked that one but I haven't had it for a couple years so I'm holding off on reviewing it until I get it again!

Yes! It's my childhood flavor and the only flavor I care about when picking out flavors. I'm curious about the others as well!
I will be following this yummy thread. Thank you for eating ice cream for us hehehehe
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ice cream, ben and jerrys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users