Oat fiber taste? - Food - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Oat fiber taste?

Oat fiber Taste Gross Dry Powdery Chalky Yuck Flour Glucomannan

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sherlock Holmes ~ 221Bamf

Sherlock Holmes ~ 221Bamf

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3602 posts
  • Location221B Baker Street, London

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:15 AM

I just got my oat fiber, but I haven't gotten any glucomannan yet.
I tried making some things with it, like pizza crust and carrot 'nuggets' but honestly it didn't taste very good :( The oat fiber just tastes chalky and dry and powdery.
Does it always taste like that? Does the glucomannan help? Is there anything I can do? :( I've got a four pound bag...

Black strobe warning:

Bulimia/restrictive

Asexual/Aromantic 

#2 TheNextVillage

TheNextVillage

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:17 AM

Yeah, it will never be perfect. It's never taster chalky to me, but it is fry a it has that fiber taste, I don't know how to describe it.

You get used to it. I bought the 4 pound bag too. I've learned to make a 10 calorie slice of bread in the microwave, I adapted it from a recipe I found through Google.

Mix 2 tablespoons oat fiber
A large pinch of baking powder
3/4 a tablespoon glucomannan
2 teaspoons egg white powder
Add water slowly, tablespoon by tablespoon until it's sort of runny.
Microwave 2 minutes

It's dry, but if you use a lot of Walden Farms mayo it makes a pretty decent sandwich bread of toast with Walden Farms jam. It's very filling and a fairly generous portion.

I won't eat any other bread now, I stopped buying bread entirely. I like it better everyday and I'm learning how to cook with it. I've already used up a third of my 4 pound bag and I haven't had it a month. It's becoming a diet staple and a favorite safe food. When you learn to cook with it, use slots of spices and sauces with it, and get used to it it will grow on you.
  • LizB and anytime is coffee time like this
Height: 5'5.5"
Beginning date (this time around): Monday, July 28th, 2014
HW: 139.8
CW: 121.7, 21.2% body fat
GW: 115 (but....maybe 110) and 18% body fat

#3 SlowlyFallingApart

SlowlyFallingApart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:05 AM

Hmm Mine doesn't taste like chalk at all but it definitely has its own taste though. The carrot nuggets were weird, I didn't like them (too dry) but I love the butterfly recipes thing. Maybe try these, it takes a while to get used to baking with oat fiber (: Good luck

#4 SlowlyFallingApart

SlowlyFallingApart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:06 AM

Yeah, it will never be perfect. It's never taster chalky to me, but it is fry a it has that fiber taste, I don't know how to describe it.

You get used to it. I bought the 4 pound bag too. I've learned to make a 10 calorie slice of bread in the microwave, I adapted it from a recipe I found through Google.

Microwave 2 minutes

It's dry, but if you use a lot of Walden Farms mayo it makes a pretty decent sandwich bread of toast with Walden Farms jam. It's very filling and a fairly generous portion.

I won't eat any other bread now, I stopped buying bread entirely. I like it better everyday and I'm learning how to cook with it. I've already used up a third of my 4 pound bag and I haven't had it a month. It's becoming a diet staple and a favorite safe food. When you learn to cook with it, use slots of spices and sauces with it, and get used to it it will grow on you.

But that would be around 20 calories? A teaspoon of egg white powder has 10 calories .. Or do you use a specific brand? (:

#5 kevi

kevi

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6653 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:08 AM

I've only used it mixed half/half with lupin flour, and a bit of no-egg. This makes a pretty useable and stable flour in my opinion. I love the taste of lupin flour though (fresh peas), most people might find that off-putting. But hey, it's high in protein.

I spent this year as a ghost. ___________________________________

uvCCfHz.png

#6 TheNextVillage

TheNextVillage

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

But that would be around 20 calories? A teaspoon of egg white powder has 10 calories .. Or do you use a specific brand? (:

Forgot to mention it makes 2 pieces! It will be really thick, you cut it in half and make a sandwich.

Height: 5'5.5"
Beginning date (this time around): Monday, July 28th, 2014
HW: 139.8
CW: 121.7, 21.2% body fat
GW: 115 (but....maybe 110) and 18% body fat

#7 Guest_zalanooca_*

Guest_zalanooca_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:56 PM

Microwave 2 minutes

You. Are. Amazing.

• TheNextVillage and CrashKattie like this

#8 Guest_zalanooca_*

Guest_zalanooca_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:55 AM

Microwave 2 minutes

I tried making this and didn't end up 'bread', more like.... overcooked oats? I'm curious, what do you cook it in, and, about how much water do you use? I reallllllly need a 'bread' thing :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Oat fiber, Taste, Gross, Dry, Powdery, Chalky, Yuck, Flour, Glucomannan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users