Overweight but not big? - Starting at a higher BMI - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Overweight but not big?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wannabe1oo

wannabe1oo

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

I'm this way & I hate it.

I'm 5'6, 22 years-old, 179 lbs with a BMI of 28.12

When I tell people what I weigh all I get is "what?? No way. Where's the 50-60 lbs of that that I can't see?"

I don't put much weight (no pun intended) on BMI. There are farrrr too many factors that it doesn't consider.
BF % and waist:hip ratio are actual effective measurements.

The kicker? My waist:hip ratio is right where it should be, & my body fat percentage is 18.9%!!

My BMI classifies me overweight, & my BF % indicates that I'm underfat.
Wtfuuuu

(Average body fat percentage for a woman 20-40 is 21-33%)

Anyone else like this? High BMI with a very low body fat percentage?

I really want my weight to match my appearance & BF%

With the comments I receive, I can't help but think what would I look like at a smaller weight.
Hell, before my kids I was 120lbs-that was only 2010.
  • cheapdate likes this
5'6
22 years
Current stay at home mommy

HW:235 (pregnant)
LW:113

SW:225
CW:185

42479504.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

#2 FaQfat

FaQfat

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

I get where you are coming from!!!  Right now I am FAT...but once I get down to about 170 (12 more pounds!) Other people think that I am at the most 150, when I am 150 people think I am 120.  I HATE BMI's!!!!  It has been a long time since I've had my bf% done, but I thought I was at least 30 pounds overweight and I was at like 24%....we have great muscle tone :)  I personally am ok with being at a heavier weight as long as I look smaller than I am.

I'd love to see pics of you at your various weights!

SW: 230 ~ CW: 171.4 ~ LW: 138 
LOSE 5% of SW 218.5   10% 207   15% 195.5   20% 184  25% 172.5  30% 161  35% 149.5  40% 138  45% 126.5  50% 115
GW1 199 (15th August)GW2 169 (overweight BMI)  ~ GW3 140 (normal weight BMI)
OBESITY IS A LIFE THREATENING DIE-SEASE...CURE IT <3

Goddess within )O( Goddess without )O( Guide me to my goal )O( Ease my hunger )O( Soothe my spirit )O( Strengthen my resolve )O( As I will it, So mote it be!

#3 americanlove

americanlove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

gahhh, i have the opposite problem - my bmi puts me at healthy, but i look a lot fatter than my weight. always have, always will do i guess :( don't know about my bf% though.

both situations are pretty weirrrrrd though.

i just want to be beautiful

#4 Guest_SirenSong6_*

Guest_SirenSong6_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

I think it's muscle mass

I'm not overweight and was purely looking at this part of MPA because ID never seen it before ( so tell me to get lost if you want ) :)

I'm a normal bmi , between 21 and 22 .... But people ( when I mention my weight) think I look lower than I am ... My mom says its bone density but I'm not sure but you could be a more muscly body type :) xxx

#5 cheapdate

cheapdate

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13949 posts
  • LocationNaboo

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

Yup. @[email protected]

"For small creatures such as we
the vastness is bearable only through love."
Carl Sagan, Contact

Current BMI: 17.9

Goal BMI: 16.8

#6 wannabe1oo

wannabe1oo

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

I'll have to put up some pics!
When I figure out how to do it lol.

I'm 22 but I have the technological capacity similar to that of a 50 year-old -_-
My profile picture I'm 5 months pregnant lol

It's definitely muscle tone that causes this. Obviously I don't mind looking smaller than I am, lol, but I always think "I'd look fabulous if I was back down to pre-pregnancy weight!" (120-130)

I've got great muscle tone & definition & am tight & good looking most everywhere except my hips.
Which has been the case my whole life.
5'6
22 years

42479504.png

#7 myproblemshideinnumbers

myproblemshideinnumbers

Sage

• Members
  • 1040 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Nice! It means you have a good amount of muscle mass. I'm kind of jealous because even at a 'normal' weight my body fat percentage is around 30% :(

BMI is a very general way to calculate whether someone is overweight or not, and doesn't really take into account people like you who have a higher ratio of muscle to body fat.

We can beat genetics

adopting new asthetics for beautiful bodies

figures ever-so-slender

Taking control oh

oh what a nice nice thing

#8 Shrinkzilla

Shrinkzilla

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

Like the others have said, it's muscle. Muscle takes up less space than fat, so if there are two people of the same weight, but one is mainly muscle and the other is mainly fat, the muscly one will be smaller.
Most rugby players and bodybuilders and other strong athletes are technically overweight or obese if you judge by BMI alone.
I'd say just ignore it.

Cogito ergo sum.

#9 wannabe1oo

wannabe1oo

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

Oh definitely.
I'm as anti-BMI as you can get! I brought it up when I saw the new section for heavier girls, which is a nice idea, called "Starting at a higher BMI"

I just rolled my eyes lol

The comment about two people of the same weight looking different is so true.
I have a cousin who doesn't work out at all & is 1in shorter than me & like 3-5lbs heavier.
Looking at us you'd swear she was 50lbs heavier than me.

She is what first inspired me to think about this.
"Do I look like THAT?" was all I could think.
Then we got our BF measured together & kinda relaxed.

Found out I'm overweight & under fat, lmao
Can't complain. I'd rather be overweight & under fat than underweight & over fat.
Studies have shown that overweight people live longer than normal, obese, & underweight people...so by my calculations of my situation of overweight & under fat, I should live forever :P
5'6
22 years

42479504.png

#10 analiscious

analiscious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:53 AM

BMI's have always bothered me too! I am 5'7" and recently dropped from 195 to 170 pounds. I feel so much better and am comfortable in my clothes again :) I am technically overweight according to my BMI but I work out and have large calf muscles and am curvy. I definitely have more fat to lose but for me to be a normal weight I know that my head would look too big for my body and I would look sickly. When I got down to 165 my family started to get concerned and told me I looked sick. I didn't realize how pale and sickly I looked until I saw a picture of myself at a birthday party. I think that I will need to exercise more and eat a bit more to pull off weighing anything less than 160 because I did look bad. I am starting to get close to that weight again and am working hard at staying healthy this time. I do fast and restrict but the last time I lost the weight I was binging and purging constantly. I got so weak that I stopped exercising and kept losing weight quickly from purging everything that I ate. I am trying to regain control so I don't look so ill this time :( Exercise everyday, fast, restrict, and taking vitamins!
Ana and Mia changed my life...Life is beautiful...when will I feel beautiful?

#11 FaQfat

FaQfat

Sage

• Members
  • 1169 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

agreed I hate the BMI!!!  But I'd really hate to be reminded about waist to hip ratio, lolz.

SW: 230 ~ CW: 171.4 ~ LW: 138 
LOSE 5% of SW 218.5   10% 207   15% 195.5   20% 184  25% 172.5  30% 161  35% 149.5  40% 138  45% 126.5  50% 115
GW1 199 (15th August)GW2 169 (overweight BMI)  ~ GW3 140 (normal weight BMI)
OBESITY IS A LIFE THREATENING DIE-SEASE...CURE IT <3

Goddess within )O( Goddess without )O( Guide me to my goal )O( Ease my hunger )O( Soothe my spirit )O( Strengthen my resolve )O( As I will it, So mote it be!

#12 Vanessaarlington

Vanessaarlington

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

Love this post I'm currently at 156, yes I have a lot to of weight to lose still, but my bmi says I'm technically obese, I agree that I'm overweight, however my jean size is usually a 4, never over a 6. Again yes bigger than I want to be, overweight, but I hardly think that's obese.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users