Do I have muscle dysmorphia? - Muscle Dysmorphia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Do I have muscle dysmorphia?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 killerkoslan

killerkoslan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationProbably hell

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:36 PM

Hi, I need some advice/assistance from you lovely people. I think I might have muscle dysmorphia because I'm obsessed with having abs/bigger arms and more muscular legs, 24/7. It's always on my mind and I've starved myself a lot, and for long periods of time because of it. Those of you who have it; what's your opinion? 

HEIGHT: 5 ft 5 in

CW: 131 lbs

GW: 100 lbs

UGW: 80 lbs 

Biggest goals: Visible abs, thinner thighs, no more chubby chipmunk cheeks.

Lover of dogs, The XFiles, P!ATD, FOB, TOP, and MCR.

#2 Explosion-san

Explosion-san

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:43 AM

That's hard to say. Considering your UGW is underweight I'd probably say no, but I'm no expert on how the symptoms of this represent themselves. I know personally my UGW is in the overweight BMI range (but with low body fat). Sounds like you just want an athletic physique, but I may be wrong here.

Also, starving yourself won't get you bigger arms/legs or defined abs, you need to build muscle to do that and to build muscle you need an energy surplus. When you've built the muscle, you high restrict with lots of protein and continue resistance training to maintain muscle mass.

• killerkoslan likes this

AmazingFabulousBackswimmer-size_restrict

Explosion!

Male

Height: 6'1.5"

HW: 275lbs

CW: 198lbs

LW: 185lbs

Currently doing a cut

UGW: No idea? Flash a V8 is the goal, being 180lbs would probably help.

#3 Maulbeere

Maulbeere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

I feel the same way actually. You need two things: low body fat so it doesn't obscure the muscles, and bigger muscles. At a low weight of 80lb you could just endup being skinnyfat, with higher fat % but look like a skeleton anyway because at that weight you can't have any muscle on it. No muscle, no veins, no striations, no defined insertions, nada..

Instead of BMI you might want to switch to looking at body fat percentage. Big muscles will make the BMI look large, but you could at the same time have a bf% of 6-9%, which is about as low as men generally go at competition weight. If you google for what the bf% looks like on men you'll get the idea.

Then research bodybuilding and how they do cutting to get to competition shape without sacrificing muscle.

• killerkoslan likes this

#4 Miskit

Miskit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:37 AM

You might have a little. I'm pretty sure my bf has this disorder because no matter how much muscle he gains he still thinks he's a small dude. 

I only want to be thinner so I can start building muscle again without the layer of fat on top. Make sure you're eating enough proteins to maintain your muscle mass if you're looking for a tighter physique. There's a lot of info online about how to properly "cut". A caloric surplus isn't necessary to build muscle, but you won't have as much gains in this department if you're eating at a heavy deficit.  Invest in a digital scale that can track your body fat percentages or a set of calipers. And track it. Worry less about weight, and take measurements.I think we all have some degree of body dysmorphia, else we wouldn't be here.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users