The Many Types of Pica - Pica Disorder - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

The Many Types of Pica

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NemmiKat❤_*

Guest_NemmiKat❤_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:23 PM

Amylophagia: A compulsive consumption of purified starch in excessive amounts is known as Amylophagia. It is mostly seen among pregnant women.

Coprophagy: An eating disorder characterized by eating feces is called coprophagy. It is seen among animals and is uncommon in human beings.

Geophagy: It is an abnormal craving for soil-like or earthy substances clay, chalk, soil etc. It is common among children and pregnant women.

Hyalophagia: Pica disorder in which the person eats glass objects is called hyalophagia. This is usually used as a performance technique by performers.

Mucophagia: A disorder of feeding on the mucus of the invertebrates and fishes is called mucophagia.

Pagophagia: A form of pica in which the person consumes excessive amounts of ice cubes or iced drinks is known as pagophagia. This condition is associated with the iron deficiency.

Self-cannibalism: It is the self-eating practice. Self-cannibaliam is also called autocannibalism or autosarcophagy.

Trichophagia: This condition is characterized by eating hair, mostly one’s own. The long hair is first chewed without pulling them from the scalp and them swallowed. Sometimes the patient might also eat other people’s hair.

Urophagia: The practice of consuming urine is called urophagia. The reason for this might be health concerns as urine is regarded, by some, earthy and with healing properties.

Xylophagia: This kind of Pica disorders involves the consumption of wood. People usually eat things made of wood like pencil, paper, wood bark etc. This is seen mostly among children.

-------------------

I will add more as I find them!
  • Carved, OKaP, pealiniaWes and 5 others like this

#2 musicalfailure

musicalfailure

Anorexia in the Key of B/P Major

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15429 posts
  • LocationAs far away from paradise as you can possibly be..

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

Are there any for things like eating dead skin, or scabs, or blood? I doubt it's self-cannibalism, otherwise I'd be eating my actual skin and stuff. :/

• jennish, overandunder, Hazle Weatherfield and 2 others like this
Love you mpa, thanks for everything ♡

#3 Dammit Janet

Dammit Janet

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:58 PM

Dermatophagia.

Biting/ Eating own skin. Sufferers typically bite the skin around their nails leading to bleeding and discoloration over time.

*ME*

• xMooshx, jennish, yolbars and 16 others like this

"I will never know what it was like to be her.

But I know what it's like to want to die.

How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't.

You hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside."

-Susanna Kaysen; Girl, Interrupted

HW: 222

LW: 118.8

CW: 74 is the perfect weight.

The Number on the Scale.

130   129   128   127   126

GW1: 125

124   123   122   121

GW2: 120

119   118   117   116

GW3: 115

114   113   112   111

GW: 110

#4 Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6342 posts
  • LocationHunting Wabbits

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:57 PM

Geophagy: It is an abnormal craving for soil-like or earthy substances clay, chalk, soil etc. It is common among children and pregnant women.
+
Pagophagia: A form of pica in which the person consumes excessive amounts of ice cubes or iced drinks is known as pagophagia. This condition is associated with the iron deficiency.
+
Self-cannibalism: It is the self-eating practice. Self-cannibaliam is also called autocannibalism or autosarcophagy.
+
Xylophagia: This kind of Pica disorders involves the consumption of wood. People usually eat things made of wood like pencil, paper, wood bark etc. This is seen mostly among children.

=

Me.

tumblr_nx82elstqV1sscqwxo1_400.gif

#5 Guest_Spindash_*

Guest_Spindash_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:28 AM

Mucophagia: A disorder of feeding on the mucus of the invertebrates and fishes is called mucophagia.

Rhinotillexomania, a more psychological form related to dermatillomania

#6 eneme

eneme

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:14 AM

My mother does this. So does my 4 year old niece when she's here but that's just because she's small and sees someone she looks up to doing it. And ice pellets are amazing. So. There's that. I don't but see the appeal. Like the feeling on the tongue and hearing the crunch. If it's in a drink I chew it and roll it around but wont get cups of it on its own like they will. Very rarely will I use ice in a drink, would much rather the drink be cold on it's own but even go as far as to just drink things room temperature so as to not use ice. Pretty much out of laziness.

I'm a scab eater.
BMI 25.3, 5’10”
HW 177
CW 177
LW 110
GW 130
❤️ Love yourself to pieces ❤️

#7 Dragontears

Dragontears

The Escapist from Reality.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30357 posts
  • LocationDragon's Eyes

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:15 AM

So,geophagy...glad it's over,my teeth hurted like hell.
g44004.gif
VAMPIRES CAN'T DIE SO CAN'T I

#8 Rumplefatskin

Rumplefatskin

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4092 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:53 AM

My mother does this. So does my 4 year old niece when she's here but that's just because she's small and sees someone she looks up to doing it. And ice pellets are amazing. So. There's that. I don't but see the appeal. Like the feeling on the tongue and hearing the crunch. If it's in a drink I chew it and roll it around but wont get cups of it on its own like they will. Very rarely will I use ice in a drink, would much rather the drink be cold on it's own but even go as far as to just drink things room temperature so as to not use ice. Pretty much out of laziness.

I'm a scab eater.

I buy cups of ice. Always have. I love love ice. Would rather eat it than drink water.

I also bruise super easy. I'm sure I have at least 5 bruises on my body currently.

Maybe I do have am iron deficiency. Lol
  • eneme likes this

height: 5'6.5"

highest: 215 lbs.

goal : 135 lbs.

tumblr_static_58mepxuyvfgg48cgwwo4wgw88.

#9 eneme

eneme

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1320 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:39 PM

I buy cups of ice. Always have. I love love ice. Would rather eat it than drink water.
I also bruise super easy. I'm sure I have at least 5 bruises on my body currently.
Maybe I do have am iron deficiency. Lol

Trustory I had 14 bruises on my legs at the same time, legs not including arms or anywhere else, for no reason. 14... that was a few weeks ago. I looked diseased. Lmao
BMI 25.3, 5’10”
HW 177
CW 177
LW 110
GW 130
❤️ Love yourself to pieces ❤️

#10 Guest_DazedPrince_*

Guest_DazedPrince_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:15 AM

I doubt I have any type of Pica, but I like to chew on the ends of pencils/pens, cords (chargers, headphones, any type of cord) and pretty much anything small and plastic-like that I can fit in my mouth.

Sometimes marbles or small stones like obsidian/tiger eye and such.

• Nonsensical likes this

#11 GodofDeath

GodofDeath

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in hell

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:27 PM

I chew on a lot of things done it ever since I was little I love chewing on plastic
  • scolastepover and Hermès like this

200_s.gif

#12 Guest_ThynBeauty_*

Guest_ThynBeauty_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:01 AM

Tbh I have mucophagia, pagophagia for sure and dermatophagia (i bite my skin around my nails and cuticles). I'm fucked up.

#13 Guest_del x vector_*

Guest_del x vector_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2014 - 04:49 AM

Flour obsession?

#14 Guest_purgatories_*

Guest_purgatories_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:50 PM

I honestly had no idea eating ice was considered part of the Pica Disorder. Wow. ;-;

• BabsGaz likes this

#15 Ryder

Ryder

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:53 AM

What is it called when you eat sponge like materials, sponges, foam hair rollers, the padding under carpets, bed fill?

imagesHW6DYTMU_zps209edf7e.jpg             7892015_zps6b6a22b2.jpgscale_zpscf675c2a.jpg     

These Rolls and Muffin Top Courtesy of a Life Spent Covered in Butter

Body Dysmorphia, Bulimia (Binge, Purge, Laxatives), Anorexia (Starvation, Restriction, Chew and Spit),  PICA (Eating cotton, cotton like material, sponges, sponge like material, bed fill), Overeating, WLS

HW 267       CW 159        GW 139       UGW 129

Oveture, Curtain, Lights....

#16 PrototypeHime

PrototypeHime

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1963 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:56 AM

Pagophagia... I didn't even realize that was considered a form of pica. I don't do it anymore, but for years I would have so many glasses of crushed ice every day. I wonder if I was anemic then as well... Huh.

5'1" ~ 28/F ~ CW: 99 ~ SW: 120 ~ LW: 83 ~ AN B/P

Spoiler

"preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent"

- Epictetus

WOx2XMK.gif

#17 malnutrition

malnutrition

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:01 PM

What is it called when you eat sponge like materials, sponges, foam hair rollers, the padding under carpets, bed fill.

I don't think there's a name for it is there?

5'3"

SW: 52

CW: 43.2

GW: 39

UGW: 35

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is not an act, but a habit.

'The flesh reflects the madness within.'

#18 WeepingWillow<3

WeepingWillow<3

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationFollowing the white rabbit down the hole

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:27 AM

For as long as I can remember, I have always chewed the hell outta the insides of my cheeks/ mouth until I'm a bloody mess :-S... A while back my doc told me it was a form of self mutilation/ self harm, to which I'd argued that it was just a nervous little habit of mine and have since continued to chomp away... Idk exactly why I do it and the feeling is kind of compulsive. Anyone else do this?
  • zeroislove, PrototypeHime, Introvertedlinguist and 4 others like this

#19 philophobia

philophobia

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1459 posts
  • Locationslaughterhouse-five

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:33 AM

Dermatophagia.

Biting/ Eating own skin. Sufferers typically bite the skin around their nails leading to bleeding and discoloration over time.

*ME*

Didn't think I even had a form of pica but whoopdy doo 

• Dammit Janet and smnk.x like this

Goals:

Get bellow 140

Get bellow 135

Get bellow 130

Get bellow 125

Mum notices weight loss

Dad notices weight loss

My brother notices my weight loss

My friends notice my weight loss

Get below 120

My collarbones are visible

My hipbones are visible

My ribs are visible

Thigh gap

Get below 115

My friends say they're jealous of my body

Get below 110

People start to worry about how thin I've gotten

Get below 105

Get below 100

Get below 95

tumblr_mzt8amO4kA1rsk651o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

​Formerly needtobethin666 

#20 i-wanna-be-tiny17

i-wanna-be-tiny17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:00 PM

Dermatophagia.

Well look, now I have Pica. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users