The Many Types of Pica - Page 2 - Pica Disorder - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

The Many Types of Pica

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 *pause*

*pause*

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3957 posts
  • Locationmy bed

Posted 10 January 2015 - 05:10 AM

I eat Styrofoam and paper ;-;

πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» πŸ‘» tiny ghosts are adorable

Spoiler

#22 moontheory

moontheory

Omniscient

• Members
  • 3083 posts
  • LocationNW England

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:52 AM

For as long as I can remember, I have always chewed the hell outta the insides of my cheeks/ mouth until I'm a bloody mess :-S... A while back my doc told me it was a form of self mutilation/ self harm, to which I'd argued that it was just a nervous little habit of mine and have since continued to chomp away... Idk exactly why I do it and the feeling is kind of compulsive. Anyone else do this?

I do that too, it's even better when you've burned the inside of your mouth on hot food so the skin just peels away  :wacko: ahh i'm weird

• WeepingWillow<3 and PrototypeHime like this

jiJORnb.png

Height: 5'11''

CW - 47kg (104lb) 

GW - don't really care I just want to stay thin

(TW - body check)

Spoiler

#23 Guest_Ο‡-Blade Master_*

Guest_Ο‡-Blade Master_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

For as long as I can remember, I have always chewed the hell outta the insides of my cheeks/ mouth until I'm a bloody mess :-S... A while back my doc told me it was a form of self mutilation/ self harm, to which I'd argued that it was just a nervous little habit of mine and have since continued to chomp away... Idk exactly why I do it and the feeling is kind of compulsive. Anyone else do this?

Yes. I forgot I did this, it's such a mindless habit.
  • WeepingWillow<3 likes this

#24 WeepingWillow<3

WeepingWillow<3

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationFollowing the white rabbit down the hole

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:10 PM

Yes. I forgot I did this, it's such a mindless habit.

^^^ Yes it's completely subconscious, I don't think about it I just compulsively chew. When my hubby catches me having one of my many Hannibal Lecter moments, he pinches the hell outta my nose to make me stop; his idea of a type of negative reinforcement to help me break my little habit... It irks my nerves because I don't even realize that I'm doing it- it's just my subconscious go-to. Pinching my nose ain't gonna cut it; I'm not a friggin' puppy that needs to be remanded and punished for shitting on the carpet, ya know?! Idk y, but I've never been able to stop, even after having my wisdom teeth pulled! Aah, if only an annoying pinch could make it stop... if only it were that easy!

#25 Guest_Ο‡-Blade Master_*

Guest_Ο‡-Blade Master_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:17 PM

^^^ Yes it's completely subconscious, I don't think about it I just compulsively chew. When my hubby catches me having one of my many Hannibal Lecter moments, he pinches the hell outta my nose to make me stop; his idea of a type of negative reinforcement to help me break my little habit... It irks my nerves because I don't even realize that I'm doing it- it's just my subconscious go-to. Pinching my nose ain't gonna cut it; I'm not a friggin' puppy that needs to be remanded and punished for shitting on the carpet, ya know?! Idk y, but I've never been able to stop, even after having my wisdom teeth pulled! Aah, if only an annoying pinch could make it stop... if only it were that easy!

Sadly, classically conditioning doesn't work like that.
On the other hand, if it did, I'd use it to stop eating tasty junk food! ... and my scabs, and my hang nails, and the insides of my cheek ... ;_; why am I sad about that?

Anyway, maybe try talking to him about a different reinforcement? Yknow, something that doesn't involve treating you like a bitch? Seriously, it's called respect.

#26 WeepingWillow<3

WeepingWillow<3

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:27 PM

[quote name="moontheory" post="4759251" timestamp="1420890754"]

I do that too, it's even better when you've burned the inside of your mouth on hot food so the skin just peels away :wacko: ahh i'm weird[/quote

We are all mad here, lol! But seriously though, it's my personal experience and opinion that being "normal" is not necessarily a virtue. I think of it as our little quirks always keep things interesting. You're not wacko or weird babe, you're just honest and I dig (respect) that! Yes, you are sooo right about the mouth-burning-skin- softening bit! Also, the day after chewing the inside of my mouth is trying to heal up... it makes the skin stringy, soft, and super easy to chew off.

#27 WeepingWillow<3

WeepingWillow<3

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:46 PM

Sadly, classically conditioning doesn't work like that.
On the other hand, if it did, I'd use it to stop eating tasty junk food! ... and my scabs, and my hang nails, and the insides of my cheek ... ;_; why am I sad about that?

Anyway, maybe try talking to him about a different reinforcement? Yknow, something that doesn't involve treating you like a bitch? Seriously, it's called respect.

Thank you, I'm glad someone understands. Why are you sad dear heart:( ? I'm definitely gonna have a chat with him about it. His methods are far more hurtful than helpful... I wish he could understand that just like with my ED, it's not something I (or he/ anyone else for that matter) can simply snap my/ their fingers (or pinch my nose) to make it go away ;'( I think I'm gonna have him sit in on my next therapy session... He has what I call "ostrich syndrome" meaning he can't simply physically run (pinch) my issues outta me, and he can't keep sticking his head in the sand because he doesn't think it's real because he just doesn't get it.

#28 Guest_Ο‡-Blade Master_*

Guest_Ο‡-Blade Master_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2015 - 09:55 PM

Thank you, I'm glad someone understands. Why are you sad dear heart:( ? I'm definitely gonna have a chat with him about it. His methods are far more hurtful than helpful... I wish he could understand that just like with my ED, it's not something I (or he/ anyone else for that matter) can simply snap my/ their fingers (or pinch my nose) to make it go away ;'( I think I'm gonna have him sit in on my next therapy session... He has what I call "ostrich syndrome" meaning he can't simply physically run (pinch) my issues outta me, and he can't keep sticking his head in the sand because he doesn't think it's real because he just doesn't get it.

Ostrich syndrome. That is very witty of you. And I think a sit in would be beneficial for both of you. I feel like my boyfriend is like that a lot, but I'm grateful for him sticking around and trying to understand why I am this way.
And I'm not sad right now, but if I couldn't eat regular food, I'd want to continue eating my skin, and I'm not certain I'm okay with that. It was just sad to think about, a pondering over a hypothetical, but I feel f*cked up about it.

#29 WeepingWillow<3

WeepingWillow<3

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:47 PM

Ostrich syndrome. That is very witty of you. And I think a sit in would be beneficial for both of you. I feel like my boyfriend is like that a lot, but I'm grateful for him sticking around and trying to understand why I am this way.
And I'm not sad right now, but if I couldn't eat regular food, I'd want to continue eating my skin, and I'm not certain I'm okay with that. It was just sad to think about, a pondering over a hypothetical, but I feel f*cked up about it.

Thanks for the advice and support cheri'! *Hugs* I think it's great that he's trying to be supportive by gaining a better understanding of what you're going through, and that he's there for you:)

On worrying about the what if's and the hypotheticals: Tbh, when my folks first told me I've been "chewing my mouth bloody" for like decades I didn't believe them... until they produced proof, that is! My avos (g'parents) showed me some holiday pic's of a 4yr old me playing w/ one of those plastic tool bench thingys... And plain as day- there I was, standing in a footed zip up sleeper, super focused on playing with the toys w/my cheek sucked in-just chomping away- in every single pic! Then of course I royally flipped my shit worrying that people would think I'm a cannibal and it was for that very reason I didn't openly tell my therapist about it... However, after seeing her for as long as I have, she noticed my "self-mutilating behavior" and called me out on it. I can half ass joke about the chewing now (hence the Hannibal Lecter bit in my original post) but I often worry about/ wonder if she or anyone else think I have cannibalistic tendencies... In the few sporadic moments that I actually have a free moment from my over active f****d up brain, I realize no, I'm not a cannibal, I don't want to eat anyone else- just my own cheeks! Feelings and thoughts can be extremely overwhelming. Pm me anytime you need/ want to talk, I'm here:)

#30 Guest_Ο‡-Blade Master_*

Guest_Ο‡-Blade Master_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for the advice and support cheri'! *Hugs* I think it's great that he's trying to be supportive by gaining a better understanding of what you're going through, and that he's there for you:)
On worrying about the what if's and the hypotheticals: Tbh, when my folks first told me I've been "chewing my mouth bloody" for like decades I didn't believe them... until they produced proof, that is! My avos (g'parents) showed me some holiday pic's of a 4yr old me playing w/ one of those plastic tool bench thingys... And plain as day- there I was, standing in a footed zip up sleeper, super focused on playing with the toys w/my cheek sucked in-just chomping away- in every single pic! Then of course I royally flipped my shit worrying that people would think I'm a cannibal and it was for that very reason I didn't openly tell my therapist about it... However, after seeing her for as long as I have, she noticed my "self-mutilating behavior" and called me out on it. I can half ass joke about the chewing now (hence the Hannibal Lecter bit in my original post) but I often worry about/ wonder if she or anyone else think I have cannibalistic tendencies... In the few sporadic moments that I actually have a free moment from my over active f****d up brain, I realize no, I'm not a cannibal, I don't want to eat anyone else- just my own cheeks! Feelings and thoughts can be extremely overwhelming. Pm me anytime you need/ want to talk, I'm here:)

^.^ Glad to be of assistance.

And I'm certain your therapist does not think you're a cannibal. Maybe a mindless flesh-eating zombie, but not a cannibal.

:)

#31 WeepingWillow<3

WeepingWillow<3

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:40 PM

^.^ Glad to be of assistance.

And I'm certain your therapist does not think you're a cannibal. Maybe a mindless flesh-eating zombie, but not a cannibal.

:)

Lmao-Flesh-eating zombie!!! <-- that shit made me laugh so hard I think I actually pee'd a lil' bit;-D (j/k) But seriously though, U. R. Awesome!

#32 lemondrizzlefizzle

lemondrizzlefizzle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:03 PM

I often chew on things and i pick at y skin, but i never ate it before, however the other day i had a breakdown and to calm me i was sucking on clear nail polish from the pot?? proberly bad for me but it calmed me down, what would that me classed as? xx

#33 Willy Wonka's Wife.

Willy Wonka's Wife.

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1744 posts
  • Locationcontemplating about life on a floating asteroid somewhere in the Kuiper Belt.

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:31 PM

I honestly had no idea eating ice was considered part of the Pica Disorder. Wow. ;-;

Many people eat ice. It doesn't mean you have Pica.
  • phanorexic likes this

#34 Guest_purgatories_*

Guest_purgatories_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:18 PM

Many people eat ice. It doesn't mean you have Pica.

I realize that. 
I used to eat ice compulsively as a child, to a point where I was skipping meals and school so I could eat it and not be judged for it. My doctor just told me I was acting out because I was diagnosed with depression at a super young age - hence why I'm just surprised that its considered part of the disorder when done in compulsion. But thanks. 

#35 Guest_SoonSkinnyMe_*

Guest_SoonSkinnyMe_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:54 AM

Wow, It's the first time on pica forum out of curiosity, but I realised I used to eat a lot of paper and toothpaste when I was 10-14 yo. I stopped when I started to purge and fast, beside restriction.

#36 floranfauna

floranfauna

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:26 AM

Pagophagia: A form of pica in which the person consumes excessive amounts of ice cubes or iced drinks is known as pagophagia. This condition is associated with the iron deficiency.

I go through 3x 5kg bags of ice every week and have for about 4-5 years. This is when it peaked. I've been eating ice since I was 7 or so. I'm almost 19... :(

#37 engorgedfairy

engorgedfairy

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 6588 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:41 AM

welp i have like 5 from the first post. 

someone said dermatophagia, but i think that comes under self cannibalism?

I  taught myself not to chew on plastic or eat paper. I was too ashamed. But I still get the urge. I eat my nails, scabs, the flesh around my nails, and basically anything coming off myself. Sometimes I suck on my hair but I don't eat it anymore.

Starting weight: 113 (hospital weight)

Current weight: 65kg (Nov 2018)

Goal weight: 55kg (2019)

100 |85| 75| 59 | 49 | 44 | 35 | 30

vegetarian, wannabe fruitarian

BPD, AN-BP, PCOS

My collection of thinspo

#38 demelz

demelz

Advanced Warrior

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

I used to eat soap  :wacko:

tumblr_ngi7z8kU6v1ru5f2lo1_400.giftumblr_mqohmyFLIk1ri58ybo6_250.giftumblr_o0hxj3RUKo1ram7aao1_500.gif

#39 viriden

viriden

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:29 AM

same here. and I don't do it for self harm neither. i do it whenever i concentrate on something, calculate something, try to remember something or just get lost in thoughts... i actually swallow all the crap coming off and enjoy the "ferreous" taste of blood. sometimes i even use my finger to push my flesh deeper between my teeth and get more of it. makes me look like an idiot but i can't stop. i even notice "pits" in my cheeks on each side when i look at photos of myself... i can retouch that, but not in real life. what the hell is wrong with me?

– Just trying to be happy, healthy and confident at the same time... that's far from utopia, isn't it? –

my blog/accountability thread

#40 SpiderKitty

SpiderKitty

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:46 AM

Very informative! 

CW: 134.6lbs 133lbs 129.5lbs 128lbs 126.76lbs 125.663lbs 123.459 121.034 120.813 119.931 53.7kg/118.388 52.3kg/ 115.302 51.5kg/113.538lbs 51.1kg/ 110.452 49.8kg/110.011 49.4kg/ 108.908 50kg/ 110.2lbs
Height: 5"3
Goal 1:56kg
Goal 2: 54kg
Goal 3: 52kg
Goal 4: 50kg
UGW: ?

LW: 40kg/ 90lbs As a teen lol.
HW: 61kg/ 134.6lbs Probably More than that.

FirstThreadbareEsok-max-1mb.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users