my therapist said, "you need to lose 17 lbs for me to be concerned" when I'm already underweight...? - Page 4 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

my therapist said, "you need to lose 17 lbs for me to be concerned" when I'm already underweight...?

therapy anorexia weight shitty therapists I hate everything

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 Not Today Satan

Not Today Satan

Hot Mess Express

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11161 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:21 PM

Lol wtf
'I just want to be okay'

My (new) accountability/rant/body check thread

http://www.myproana..../#entry60724466

#62 SparrowCorinne

SparrowCorinne

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:31 PM

Seriously CANNOT BELIEVE HE DID THAT?! Like, what type of therapist is this? Mine is damn good with EDs and would never trigger me like that. Good ones are out there. I understand the feels of choosing between no therapist or a bad one. My suggestion is keep him just until you are bumped up on another therapists waiting list, if you hold up long enough healthwise. Best of luck, getting better is hard work.

blowing tree
Wake up, Kick Ass, Be Kind, Repeat.

SW : 121

GW1: 115

GW2: 110

UGW: 100

#63 ponikko

ponikko

Hangry Mochi

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10034 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:48 PM

I got told something simmilar. Not eactly that I needed to drop so low but I did get a "if you come back when you are actually underweight maybe we can offer you proper treatment"

#64 kanari

kanari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:50 PM

Im so sorry this happened. He definitely invalidated your feelings. No matter their weight, if someone is doing severe restriction it should be concerning. He isn't sensitive about your disorder and you should get a therapist who is. I hate doctors that believe that anorexia doesn't exist if the BMI isn't severely low.

I'm going to validate your feelings right now. Yes, you are underweight. Yes, you have been displaying "true" eating disorder tendencies.

5'4"

HW: 223lbs

LW: 141lbs

CW: 148lbs

#65 Guest_same ol' mistakes_*

Guest_same ol' mistakes_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:37 AM

fire him, i had a therapist like this before and he made me so much worse off. he told me that i didn't have a real issue "you'll eat when you get uncomfortable" welli dropped 10lbs and then he regreted saying that for about 10 seconds. I was at a bmi of 13.9

Omg I am so sorry to both OP & u for having to go through that.. I've had my share of therapist (5) and all the good ones tell you that you should feel free to switch therapists even for small differences (not even conflicts or complete assholery like this) because your ability to self determine the course of your treatment is tantamount to better mental health. You just gotta fit with your therapist and their style of care should match your needs. Of course, accessibility is an issue :/ (i no longer see one because of this)

And this might be irrelevant to you, but as a general rule, i do nottttt ever work with male doctors/therapists if I can help it. I do not trust them lmao to help me heal when so much of my mental health (and definitely ED) is because of patriarchy. They take soo much for granted and can be generally fucking clueless about...so much.. (Ex. Had a psych try to force me to report my sexual assault by threatening to put me on 72 hr hold). Anyway, since I've seen only women, I noticed, especially with regard to my mental health care, that I was getting way better treatment. They were just better attuned to my needs.

I really hope you get the care you deserve. Also, I've been at 17 bmi before and...it is fucking hell. I was tiny and very sick, and I had no doubt about either. Which just makes me wonder how fucking clueless your therapists have to be to think 14-17 bmi is not worrisome even when accompanied by the PATIENT expressing that. Total disgrace and incompetence.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: therapy, anorexia, weight, shitty therapists, I hate everything

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users