How are you supposed to take care of your teeth with RD? - Rumination Disorder - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

How are you supposed to take care of your teeth with RD?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

• Guests

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:07 PM

Hi there. I've had rumination for about 8 or 9 years now, although like many others I'm just now learning the official term and definition for it. For the most part, I've accepted it and learned to live around it, but I'm really concerned about the damage the constant onslaught of ruminating will do to my teeth. I already rinse with fluoride mouthwash, floss and brush twice a day with sensodyne pronamel and I only drink water. So far that has kept my mouth in decent shape, but is there anything more I can do? I heard antacids, rinsing with baking soda/water and sugar free gum might help. Any advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

#2 againagainagain

againagainagain

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:01 PM

I’ve had RD for as long as I can remember, long before I had any experience with ED’s (it was just a weird thing I could do). I was under the impression it wouldn’t cause major damage to teeth, because of it being undigested food with little stomach acid being brought back up. I have no evidence to support this (not much research in this area!) but it was only at my most recent check up that my dentist mentioned my teeth were thinning slightly as the ends; I didn’t mentioned RD, just denied drinking many sugary drinks or fruit juice (true) so the dentist conceded it may be just genetic & anyway nothing to worry about. So basically, only slight thinning of teeth for the best part of 20 years RD, so I don’t think it causes too much damage!
CW: 130
GW1: 120
GW2: 110
GW3: 100
(5’4)

• Guests

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:24 AM

I’ve had RD for as long as I can remember, long before I had any experience with ED’s (it was just a weird thing I could do). I was under the impression it wouldn’t cause major damage to teeth, because of it being undigested food with little stomach acid being brought back up. I have no evidence to support this (not much research in this area!) but it was only at my most recent check up that my dentist mentioned my teeth were thinning slightly as the ends; I didn’t mentioned RD, just denied drinking many sugary drinks or fruit juice (true) so the dentist conceded it may be just genetic & anyway nothing to worry about. So basically, only slight thinning of teeth for the best part of 20 years RD, so I don’t think it causes too much damage!

That's good to hear! And you have a good point, in my experience the rumination usually does stop before it becomes too acidic. Another thing I hear is that crunching and chewing is good for teeth because it exercises the mouth and stimulates saliva flow to help keep it clean, so...having to do all this extra chewing should be beneficial, in a way.

I just recently visited a dentist for a checkup for the first time in years. For the most part it went really well, they said I had healthy gums and no cavities but there were signs of wear from bruxism (grinding teeth) and I don't think I have a problem with that, so I wondered if it could be damage from rumination that they misdiagnosed. It's possible because like you said, it's just not a well understood condition yet. I hate to question a professional opinion though...maybe I do grind my teeth without realizing. No way to know for sure. All I can do is keep taking care of them as best as I can!

#4 bunnysyndrome

bunnysyndrome

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:29 PM

I suggest to talk about it with your dentist and see what sort of preventive methods they can offer you. In my case I'm 23 and I've had RD since kid and must say I haven't been as careful with my teeth as you. (Drinking loads of soda and acidic foods) And since I've used my RD to purge and I've fasted several times before my teeth had been in contact with the acid more than they should. Currently I have 4 cavities and I'm starting to get little spaces between my teeth.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) mediante Tapatalk

tumblr_static_72dpgu101nok40wowcogw0og0.tumblr_mx3phdYAOq1ren6s6o1_250.pngtumblr_static_72dpgu101nok40wowcogw0og0.

HW: 83.5 kg|184 lbs|BMI 30.7

CW: 66.2 kg|146 lbs|BMI 24.3

LW: 56.0 kg|123 lbs|BMI 20.6

GW: 79.9 kg|176 lbs|BMI 29.3

GW: 77.1 kg|170 lbs|BMI 28.3

GW: 74.3 kg|164 lbs|BMI 27.3

GW: 71.6 kg|158 lbs|BMI 26.3

GW: 68.9 kg|152 lbs|BMI 25.3

GW: 66.2 kg|146 lbs|BMI 24.3

GW: 63.5 kg|140 lbs|BMI 23.3

GW: 60.7 kg|134 lbs|BMI 22.3

GW: 58.0 kg|128 lbs|BMI 21.3

GW: 55.3 kg|122 lbs|BMI 20.3

GW: 52.6 kg|116 lbs|BMI 19.3

GW: 49.9 kg|110 lbs|BMI 18.3

UG­­W: 47.1 kg|104 lbs|BMI 17.3

tumblr_inline_mg16fue1CQ1roozkr.gifDGW: 44.4 kg|98  lbs|BMI 16.3tumblr_inline_mg16fue1CQ1roozkr.gif

‿̬‿‿̬‿‿̬‿‿̬‿‿̬‿‿̬‿‿̬̬‿‿̬‿‿̬‿‿

249fe135afafbed37563fc81b3991f40.gif

divider1.pngdivider1.pngdivider1.png

#5 ItsBoshyTime

ItsBoshyTime

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1981 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:48 PM

For me gum really helps remove unreachable leftovers that get stuck between your teeth.
Rinsing with hot water also helps loosen up crap that gets stuck at the end of your jaw

MaleInsidiousGilamonster-size_restrictedgiphy.gif

#6 ☆ d o l l h o u s e ☆

☆ d o l l h o u s e ☆

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 08:49 PM

I have invisalign so for the time being my teeth are pretty protected by the plastic lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users