Nosebleeds - Illness or Injury - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Nosebleeds

nosebleed ana mia fat health

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Carly_Lou

Carly_Lou

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

I keep getting nose bleeds. Usually in the evening. There aren't too severe. Have never had them before now and I'm not too bothered really, I'm just curious what the cause might be. Is it possible dehydration could be a factor? 

Anyone got any ideas or having the same experience? 

#2 ABowlOfSecondChances

ABowlOfSecondChances

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationSouthern U.S.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:31 AM

Dehydration could contribute. If the membranes inside of the nasal cavity become too dry, they can begin to bleed. The only time in my life I've ever had nosebleeds (and I've been hit in the nose pretty hard at times) is when I was purging ALOT. I guess I popped a few blood vessels or something. 

• Carly_Lou likes this

HW= Self-Hatred

LW= Nearly Dead

CW= HAPPYHEALTHY anCONFIDENT!  :D

YouTubehttp://www.youtube.c...OfSecondChances

Tumblrhttp://abowlofsecond...ces.tumblr.com/

deviantArthttp://artuition.deviantart.com/

Facebookhttps://www.facebook...channel?fref=ts

Twitter - https://twitter.com/5Ksecondchances

YOU  ARE  BEAUTIFUL!

#3 Carly_Lou

Carly_Lou

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

Dehydration could contribute. If the membranes inside of the nasal cavity become too dry, they can begin to bleed. The only time in my life I've ever had nosebleeds (and I've been hit in the nose pretty hard at times) is when I was purging ALOT. I guess I popped a few blood vessels or something. 

Thank you, helpful info :)

#4 priana

priana

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

If if gets serious or too frequent see a doctor because it could also mean a blood disorder. Not necessarily worrisome but better to get it worked up
  • Carly_Lou likes this

#5 J J XXX

J J XXX

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • LocationLeicestershire

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

Sometimes anorexic individual's blood pressure can be lower than most. This may cause nosebleeds at strange times. Bottom line... if you're getting nosebleeds, check in with the doc to make sure it's not something more serious than just a bp drop. Many anorexics get persistent nose bleeds not just ana mia's, throwing up increases pressure in the venous system, and vomiting can also rupture the blood vessels in the esophagus and stomach, and cause haemorrhaging. or can cause blood vessels to pop, some ana's say they get nose bleeds more often in the mornings or when they display more normal eating habits. 

Also, a lack of certain vitamins, K for one, vitamin B12, folic acid, calcium, and iron causing anemia, can cause bleeding disorders. Nosebleeds are seldom a cause for alarm but can be life threatening in rare cases. Liver Disease can interfere with blood clotting and result in frequent and/or severe nosebleeds. Try not to take asprin which thins the blood and maybe eat a rivita or rice cake with marmite as marmite thickens the blood and may prevent your nose bleeds from happening so often. I would begin to take a multi vitamin, fish oil and calcium supplement if I were you.  Because vitamins do not contain calories, they have no effect on weight gain. Hope you feel better soon.

• Carly_Lou likes this

#6 Carly_Lou

Carly_Lou

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

Sometimes anorexic individual's blood pressure can be lower than most. This may cause nosebleeds at strange times. Bottom line... if you're getting nosebleeds, check in with the doc to make sure it's not something more serious than just a bp drop. Many anorexics get persistent nose bleeds not just ana mia's, throwing up increases pressure in the venous system, and vomiting can also rupture the blood vessels in the esophagus and stomach, and cause haemorrhaging. or can cause blood vessels to pop, some ana's say they get nose bleeds more often in the mornings or when they display more normal eating habits. 

Also, a lack of certain vitamins, K for one, vitamin B12, folic acid, calcium, and iron causing anemia, can cause bleeding disorders. Nosebleeds are seldom a cause for alarm but can be life threatening in rare cases. Liver Disease can interfere with blood clotting and result in frequent and/or severe nosebleeds. Try not to take asprin which thins the blood and maybe eat a rivita or rice cake with marmite as marmite thickens the blood and may prevent your nose bleeds from happening so often. I would begin to take a multi vitamin, fish oil and calcium supplement if I were you.  Because vitamins do not contain calories, they have no effect on weight gain. Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you, very informative :) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nosebleed, ana, mia, fat, health

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users