Black People - I have some questions - Minorities - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Black People - I have some questions

black survey africans south africa

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 TheSinner

TheSinner

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

hello :) I'm doing a research thingy on eating disorders in black communities and would really super appreciate it if y'all could answer some of my questions. So, just to be clear - I am a black South African girl, so I'm asking these questions with some of my own answers in mind - i'm just genuinely curious to hear about your experiences and appreciate you answering if you do. This is especially for black Africans because i think our experience may be a bit different from black people in europe/america, but any black people from anywhere please feel free to answer.

1. Does your family know about your ED? How did they react?

2. Do your friends know about your ED? How did they react?

3. Are you getting/have you ever gotten formal treatment/therapy for your ED?

4. Have you been officially diagnosed and if yes, with what? if not, what have you self-diagnosed yourself with?

5. Do you know any black people in your everyday life who have EDs (who you did not meet through MPA or any ED related forum?)

thanks a whole lot xx 

• DepressedWellDressed and mangofrommars like this
Suicide's Note

The calm, 
Cool face of the river 
Asked me for a kiss.

-Langston Hughes

ericandregif.gif

lisagif.gif

#2 Guest_Cazell_*

Guest_Cazell_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:31 PM

1. Yes. They reacted quite badly, forcing me into makeshift “recovery” programs of their own design. My father’s verbal and physical instances of abuse ramped up when he discovered I was sick and had been lying to him about it for as long as I had. Currently, they both believe I’ve recovered. Not in a rush to tell them differently.
2. Don’t have any friends right now, but my last group of friends were aware, and they were very supportive during the worst of it.
3. No.
4. Self-diagnosed with bulimia.
5. No.

#3 Angie_

Angie_

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:59 PM

Yes. They think I'm a weak mind.. except for my mom who are genuinely worried and cries a lot because I'm suffering and she may lost her daughter :(

Some of them. They are sensitive and always by my side trying to help.

Yes. On meds and therapy

4. Have you been officially diagnosed and if yes, with what? if not, what have you self-diagnosed yourself with?
Yes. Anorexia

5. Do you know any black people in your everyday life who have EDs (who you did not meet through MPA or any ED related forum?)
No... just white people.

#4 TheSinner

TheSinner

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:24 AM

Thanks a lot :) please keep 'em coming
Suicide's Note

The calm, 
Cool face of the river 
Asked me for a kiss.

-Langston Hughes

ericandregif.gif

lisagif.gif

#5 _depressedwarrior_

_depressedwarrior_

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMy coffin

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:05 PM

Does your family know about your ED? How did they react?I

Yes, they knew, but they think I'm recovered

2. Do your friends know about your ED? How did they react?I

Some, they already knew

Nope

Yes, anorexia. Ednos
I

My step bro has eating problems but idk about an eating disorder
  • Muerte a Vida likes this
Sw: 180
Cw: 170
Lw: 115
Gw: 110
Gw1: 160
Gw2: 150
Gw3: 140
Gw5: 130
Gw6: 120
Gw7: 110

#6 wasting

wasting

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1374 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:56 PM

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Self diagnosed myself with anorexia and ednos
5. No
Been tryna die since 09
24.F. 5’7.Cw:117lbs, UGW: 100lbs

#7 doux etoile

doux etoile

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Locationengland

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:27 AM

i'm mixed (nigerian and british) so i hope you don't mind me answering this

they don't, but i think they might be getting sus

my irl friends don't, but again i think they're getting sus. some of my online friends know and they are very supportive

no although i was given the number for a self referral thing and am considering making the call

self diagnosed anorexia i guess

nope

• DepressedWellDressed likes this

giphy.gif

#8 Chaoticabyss

Chaoticabyss

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

1. Does your family know about your ED? Some family members know but it isn't talked about. My parents knew but they are both deceased.

2. Do your friends know about your ED? Yeah. My best friend knows and I've became friends with people that have EDs that know of course.

3. Are you getting/have you ever gotten formal treatment/therapy for your ED? Yes. I've been hospitalized once for my ED (multiple times for other reasons).

4. Have you been officially diagnosed and if yes, with what? if not, what have you self-diagnosed yourself with? Yes. I've been officially diagnosed with Bulimia and EDNOS. Self diagnosed with orthorexia.

5. Do you know any black people in your everyday life who have EDs (who you did not meet through MPA or any ED related forum?) Yes but we don't talk about it. I wish I knew more people that understood. When I was in college, I met an black girl that was anorexic. Friendship didn't last long because I felt like it was a competition with her (especially with me being bulimic at the time).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bulimia/orthorexia-vegan-bipolar

#9 Ym96

Ym96

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

1. Does your family know about your ED? How did they react? No they just think I'm on a diet. The only person that genuinely knows and keeps an eye on me is my husband.

2. Do your friends know about your ED? How did they react? No my friends and I arent close enough to talk about stuff like that.

3. Are you getting/have you ever gotten formal treatment/therapy for your ED? No. They don't believe I have one because I'm overweight, even though my blood work says otherwise.

4. Have you been officially diagnosed and if yes, with what? if not, what have you self-diagnosed yourself with? No official dx, I just say I have disordered eating tendencies.

5. Do you know any black people in your everyday life who have EDs (who you did not meet through MPA or any ED related forum?) I know family and people in my area that show a lot of the signs of an ED, but stuff like that isn't discussed openly.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

"In the dark of the night, I was tossing and turning,

and the nightmare I had was as bad as can be.

It scared me out of my wits.

A corpse falling to bits!

Then I opened my eyes,

and the nightmare was me!"

#10 neonguts

neonguts

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Locationpits of hell

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:33 AM

1. nope. p sure my dad suspected something when i came home after a few months and was 20lbs lighter but he thought i was having relationship problems.\

2. i have two friends who know. one is my ex who i was dating when my ed first started, he's been supportive but occasionally says the wrong thing with good intentions. another is just a friend who kind of picked up on it because we hung out a lot and she basically saw my eating habits. eventually i just told her i have a "complicated relationship with food" and that i'd appreciate it if she didn't make comments about my body or my eating habits, and she was cool with that. both of them try to talk me into eating when we're hanging out, even if it's just something small. 

3. i've never been in ed treatment. i told a school therapist once and she just kind of shook her head and said "that's not good" and made me promise to eat more. i said sure but u can imagine how that went. also saw a psychiatrist a year or so ago who basically told me i should treat all my mental illnesses by going to church.

4. never formally diagnosed. i've never even tried to diagnose myself but probably ednos because i don't feel like any one specific ed encapsulates my habits and i tend to show signs from a few different ones. but i know for sure i have an ed.

5. nope. well, not that i know of anyway. i'm sure i've met some before but it's not exactly something that comes up often in casual conversation, and i don't have many close friends

#11 Sopheria

Sopheria

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:45 AM

I've had ED since late middle school, they make fun of me for not eating or eating in small quantity then shame me when I eat a lot out of sadness. My family is not iwlling to acknowledge that people who are black can have mental illnesses lmao. My mom's husband who is white suspected something but my mom brushed it off.

They don't.

Nope. As said before my family isn't willing to acknowledge black people or their kids can have mental illness. I booked myself an appointment at the psychiatrist for depression (because therapy is too expensive and here health issurance takes care of hospital bills like psychiatrists so i can afford this at least), I'll finally get a session at the end of June because public services like these are overbooked. Hoping i don't kill myself before, i've been waiting for this appointment for a month already.

No. I never tried self diagnosis because I don't really believe in it... Except maybe depression since i've been suicical since middle school...

Not at all

#12 ANNIA123

ANNIA123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:58 AM

1. Does your family know about your ED? How did they react? NO

2. Do your friends know about your ED? How did they react?   NO

3. Are you getting/have you ever gotten formal treatment/therapy for your ED? NO

4. Have you been officially diagnosed and if yes, with what? if not, what have you self-diagnosed yourself with? No I have not gotten any help because i dont really think what i do is killing me first and second if i were to ask for it im scared that people wont think i need it because one im not skinny enough and two because im black because apparently black people have been through so much through out history that they cant get mental disorders.

5. Do you know any black people in your everyday life who have EDs (who you did not meet through MPA or any ED related forum?) NO

thanks for the survey hope you project goes well 

HW: 229

CW: 208

GW:145
UGW:125

Don't live life the right way live life your way
-Me

tumblr_m8yirvtEP41re0cw9o1_400.jpg2528ae01ee2cb2c348b752b25b620166.gif

fat-people-problem.jpgtumblr_m4hsyrXEZo1rropmdo1_400.jpgtenor.gif?itemid=7308557

#13 Guest_atleastimsafeinsidemymind_*

Guest_atleastimsafeinsidemymind_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:06 PM

Yes, my mom basically threatened to hospitalize me. Before they knew it was an ED it was mostly body shaming, saying I looked sick and telling people I never ate (because I was veg)

No friends, lmao. Boyfriend does, he was pretty chill about it because at that point it was as raging as it was now. Now he just tells me shit like counting calories is stupid bla bla, thats not how you're going to lose weight bla bla.

I've gotten it for my depression, I didn't talk too much about my ED because they wouldn't have given me meds for my depression if they knew I had it.

No because see above. And also I think I just have some extreme disordered eating habits and body dysmorphia. 

My sister has one too, she was inpatient for a while.

Went from 280>160>210. 

Needless to say I don't want to fucking go to a hospital and they'll have to get me their kicking and screaming.

#14 Guest_Play Nice_*

Guest_Play Nice_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:41 AM

honestly im mixed but i feel the need to contribute either way. So step aside. Ahem...

I think my ma and brother but I’m too fat for anyone to worry.

None at all. I have one friend, haha.

Nope!

Nope. Everything seemed “normal”. Pffft

No. Except maybe a few mixed girls I’ve met.

#15 _depressedwarrior_

_depressedwarrior_

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMy coffin

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

Yeas, mom said that black people don't have eating disorder s and I was doing it for attention. My sister s felt bad for me,and dad makes sure I eat enough.

Yeah, they were speechless, but didn't treat me any different.

Nope

4. Have you been officially diagnosed and if yes, with what? if not, what have you self-diagnosed yourself with?I
Yes, anorexia (before recovery, and relapse), I self diagnose myself with ednos.

5. Do you know any black people in your everyday life who have EDs (who you did not meet through MPA or any ED related forum?). My friend
Sw: 180
Cw: 170
Lw: 115
Gw: 110
Gw1: 160
Gw2: 150
Gw3: 140
Gw5: 130
Gw6: 120
Gw7: 110

#16 seven_sirens

seven_sirens

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationThe Upside Down

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:51 PM

They did know yes. they were like, "EAT!" And I did.

One of my good friends knows. She was cool. We are both religious and she was telling me we should be grateful to god for what we have. 

No

Self diagnosed EDNOS

No, my friend I mentioned earlier is a recovered ana. She isn't black she's Pakistani.

I am becoming my own self fulfilled prophecy

giphy.gif

155 154 153 152 151 149 148 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137 136 135 134 133 132 131

130 129 128 127 126 125 124 123 122 121 120 119 118 117 116 115 114 113 112 111 110 109 108 107

106 105 104 103 102 101 100 99 98 97 96 95 94 93 92 91 90

Red = Lbs Lost  Bold = Current  Green = How much I have left

#17 InmyskinIcringe

InmyskinIcringe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:48 PM

Does your family know about your ED? How did they react?I

Yes, they knew, but they think I'm recovered/didn't think it was a problem because I'm overweight 

2. Do your friends know about your ED? How did they react?I

No. 

I've gone to a therapist once but not for my ED

I'm self diagnosed EDNOS/Binger and Restricter

Yes, I had a friend who was anorexic (and if I'm being honest started me on restricting) but was also extremely volatile and toxic. We don't talk anymore

tumblr_pbiwk2pYrt1vj2gx4o1_400.gif                  tumblr_owtclxPsF21vbcnq8o1_400.gif

Height: 5'5

HW:264lbs

CW:194

CW:191

CW:189

Next Goal Weight: 180 (gift: anything off my Pinterest want board)

UGW:120

#18 Guest_MorbidCloth_*

Guest_MorbidCloth_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:03 AM

My family doesn't know. 

My friends know, and they reacted very calmly and caring. 

No I have not, but I have gone to therapy before. 

I have not been officially diagnosed, and I've self diagnosed myself with ednos. 

No, I do not. 

#19 ImaPatheticYo-Yo

ImaPatheticYo-Yo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:47 PM

1. Yes but as far as I know they think I'm recovered
2. Yes but we stopped being friends so I guess previous friends..??
3.no. I've already been treated for an attempted suicide, so my mom was like , " you aren't going back to the hospital "
4. Nope but my therapist said I am " flirting with anorexia"p
5. My aunt seems to be developing one

#20 Ana_Lez

Ana_Lez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:41 AM

Yes. It's complicated, I have a few other mental conditions as well, so I guess it was never really at the top of their list when it comes to what's messed up about me.

Only those I met online and during hospital stays

Sort of...it was in the mix with my treatment for other things

Yes.Anorexia nervosa B/P type

5. Do you know any black people in your everyday life who have EDs?
Only those I met at the hospital. Most I met here and on LiveJournal ages ago.
♡ <3 ♡ <3 SUCCESS IS DETERMINED BY HOW DETERMINED YOU ARE TO SUCCEED.❤ <3 ♡ <3 ♡

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: black, survey, africans, south africa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users