I did not realize what i looked like i think - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

I did not realize what i looked like i think

Body image denial BMI low weight hospitalization

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_LyricsoftheRain_*

Guest_LyricsoftheRain_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:09 PM

Okay so i was looking through the selfies forum and viewed a lot of pictures of people at 16-16.8 BMI’s and each one was like oh shit man she’s skinny she does not look healthy, wish i looked like that though. Then when i saw the BMI i was completely shocked because i was hospitalized at a 16.2 BMI which i thought was way too high to even warrant help. I knew i was think but it just looked like regular old ballerina thin, not like some sickly thin. I wished so bad i had looked sickly thin but looking at all these pictures of people with the same or higher BMI and seeing their size kind of gave me a wake up call. Dang body image is crazy! Like i never believed the whole “You don’t see yourself correctly in the mirror” but i guess now i do. Regardless my effed up mind still wants me to get to a 13-14 BMI sooo what’s new.

#2 TheSkinnySister

TheSkinnySister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationFat

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:16 PM

body dysmorphia

weight.png?_t=1528950333

#3 RumHam

RumHam

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3326 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:20 PM

Yeah, I’ve alwasy felt like I look terrible (fat) in pictures, and I still do tbh. But I’ve seen pictures of myself at my low weight, and I looked like an absolute freaking stick. If you would have asked me then though, I would have sworn I still looked so fat in pictures.

How do our brains even work?
  • c0mawh1te likes this
Height - 5'1 HW - 108 CW 89 LW - 80 UGW-79

#4 allsofragile

allsofragile

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:29 PM

Where is the selfies forum? I need to look at it but can’t find it :(

#5 RainbowVeins

RainbowVeins

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:36 PM

I feel that. I'm at a BMI of 17.4 right now (working to get up to my healthy BMI which is around 19-19.5) and I feel HUGE. When I was at a BMI of 16.2 (my lowest) I felt like I looked a bit underweight but definitely not sick.

Body dysmorphia is weird.

#6 Alleigh

Alleigh

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:10 PM

it is crazy, huh? 

#7 Guest_LyricsoftheRain_*

Guest_LyricsoftheRain_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:11 PM

If you go to the main page that’s titled “Forums” it’s there, you have to scroll down a little but you’ll see it :)

#8 Chubbychops

Chubbychops

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6219 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:25 PM

They've advised I've got 'gross body distortion' - I feel and see FAT. I remember telling them I was too fat to be hospitalised at BMI 11.

I won't accept a hospital bed now because I think I'm too fat. I can't help the way I think and feel.
5ft 9" / 175 cm

CBMI : 35.8 kg / 78.9 lb - BMI 11.7 (05/06/20)
Dressed

Feel disgusting - fat and bloated.

- Re-diagnosed Nov-17 - back in treatment (OP) after more than 20 years.

LBMI : Who cares - I was screwed, can't remember much, severe depression and just wanting to die, unable to maintain temperature - have no desire to return to that little hell hole.

LDBMI - Lowest Discharge BMI (after 2.5 months hospitalisation) : 11.9... and finally, after 9+ years, some form of 'recovery/insight' - just not the "Made for TV" version.

Chubbychops Accountability

#9 Guest_97stars_*

Guest_97stars_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:28 PM

Yeah, I’ve alwasy felt like I look terrible (fat) in pictures, and I still do tbh. But I’ve seen pictures of myself at my low weight, and I looked like an absolute freaking stick. If you would have asked me then though, I would have sworn I still looked so fat in pictures.
How do our brains even work?

Exact same

#10 fattyXL

fattyXL

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Locationmiddle earth

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:15 PM

i think you need a minimum of 50 posts before you can access the selfie thread

• xiare likes this

#11 anorexicduty

anorexicduty

Queen of Hearts

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23354 posts
  • LocationMaryland, US

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:00 PM

I can't see any changes when I look in the mirror.

I look normal in my mind. I see the bones but I think it's just my physique.

I can see the places on my body where there's fat or loose/soft tissue.

It's hard being skinny b/c it's difficult to see it.

Ht.: 5'7" | SW:147 lbs.| CW::125.4 lbs.| BMI: 19.6  
(6-26-2020)

Trump Still Sucks

#12 flesh flower

flesh flower

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationThistle Field

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:19 AM

Feel you. Just had this kind of enlightenment a few days ago when I saw myself in a huge mirror and I actually got really scared. Never thought body dysmorphia fucked with ME lol 

p l e a s e   b e   g e n t l e .

mayqueen_2.jpg

#13 nk.ana

nk.ana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:45 AM

I have never truly known what I look like because of body dysmorphia and it's terrifying. I had anorexia in 7th grade and recovered fairly quickly, ending my ed 5 months later and swore never to fall back into it. But now 3 years later and going into 11th grade I've "relapsed" and sometimes I think I'm seeing myself thinner than I really am in order to cope with the weight gain over the past few years. So anytime I see a photo I'm kind of taken back because I look bigger than what I see. I also see myself differently depending on how much I've eaten, worked out, how much I weigh, or how good I'm feeling about myself
  • c0mawh1te likes this

#14 rejectmybody

rejectmybody

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:00 PM

Looking back at pictures of me as a kid that was when I hated myself too much to even look at a mirror to body check. I thought I was repulsive. In reality I was pretty thin... I just never believed it. I never realized how I looked when I was highly overweight either I was in so much denial and now I look at myself and can't believe I was ever that big. Body dysmorphia is crazy. 

• escarity likes this

66 lbs down. 49 to go.

Sarahah

#15 escarity

escarity

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationAsteroid B-612

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:52 PM

omg totally ahve this too

z211221150.jpgvisita-blogdelatele.blogspot.com-2.jpgjeans3_29681579.jpg

#16 turninglleaves

turninglleaves

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2153 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 16 June 2019 - 03:08 PM

Tbh I feel kind of lucky bc my shape continually changes and there are moments where I can see myself as kind of “skinny” (although not perfect). I looked in the mirror yesterday and freaked out bc my entire body morphed and I literally looked overweight (not even exaggerating). It’s so trippy and scares me tbh. I’m so scared my body dysmorphia will reverse and I become fat and cannot see that I am fat. So I just keep telling myself I’m fat even in those moments where I look kind of “skinny”.. 😅😩

Oh, I also realised the more depressed I feel, the worse my body dysmorphia tends to be. So maybe it’s linked to serotonin levels in the brain.
5'9 / 175 cmHW: 85 kg / 187 lbsLW: 43.9 kg / 96.7 lbsSW (after forced IP): 50.7 kg / 112 lbsCW: 45.7kg / 100.7 lbsGW1: 49.3 kg / 108 lbsGW2: 48.7 kg / 107 lbsGW3: 48.3 kg / 106 lbsGW4: 47.8 kg / 105 lbsGW5: 47.3 kg / 104 lbsGW6: 47 kg / 103 lbsUGW1: 45.3~47 kg / 99.7~103 lbs UGW2: 43.7~45.3kg / 96.3~99.7 lbsI promise I will not aim lower, no matter how depressed or fat I feel. Repeat in head, this is my mantra. <p>

#17 Disordered.dichotomy

Disordered.dichotomy

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:07 AM

I feel you with this.

I was recently on the tube and I caught sight of a woman in the glass. She looked so skinny and gaunt, I felt sorry for her, she looked lifeless. I glanced around the tube carriage trying to find this woman but I couldn't find her, it took a long time to connect the dots and realise the woman whose reflection I pitied, was in fact me. Yet, I don't think of myself like that at all!

#18 ItsBoshyTime

ItsBoshyTime

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1981 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:47 AM

This also happens to me, every time I look at someone who is healthy skinny I think to myself "Damn I wish I was that skinny" but then if I take a photo with him/her and compare myself to them I’m way skinnier than them.

One day I was looking at photos from my graduation, and I saw a gaunt looking guy backwards near a crowd of people. I wanted so badly to find out who was that guy until I realized it was me.

Also when I put on my clothes from when I used to be overweight. I’m like "Fuck, I can’t believe I used to fit so tightly in this giant shirt”.

MaleInsidiousGilamonster-size_restrictedgiphy.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Body image, denial, BMI, low weight, hospitalization

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users