Does/has anybody else live on a minimal liquid diet - longterm? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Does/has anybody else live on a minimal liquid diet - longterm?

liquid diet anorexia cant chew long term over 30

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Butterfly kisses

Butterfly kisses

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:07 PM

I have spent 2 years living on liquids only (sometimes a fruit juice once or twice per week ....not often though and a cup of powdered soup per day (no bits) - never going over 400 cals (Slim-a-Soup/ Batchelors).

Does anyone else honestly live like this?

Has anyone else my age sustained/sustaining themselves like this? (33 - suffered nearly 13 years) - if so how do you feel?

Any tips to get RID of the horrible bony sickly thin look, my legs are repulsive?

• GloriousThorn likes this

What the HELL am i even doing HERE?!

GET A FUCKING GRIP! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

#2 GeorgieW92

GeorgieW92

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:15 PM

I spent 5 months on one ensure per day (300cal).. transitioned back onto solid food IP last month. Honestly while liquid only was hell (and I struggled with b/p episodes once a week) I kinda miss how easy it was.. food is hard as fuck and prepping/ cooking/ cleaning.. I'm 25..

Can you increase the how many soups etc you have?
  • notadream and Butterfly kisses like this

#3 Hitoshirezu

Hitoshirezu

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:24 AM

I'm with you on this one. Liquids don't make me feel as disgusting as solid food. I mainly thrive on coffee in the morning, then tea throughout the day, and an alcoholic beverage or two to make me pass out at night if I need it (only started this one recently, otherwise I did not drink for many many years). Some days, I'll make smoothies to get nutrition, but usually I'm too lazy to make them, or it just seems like too much for my stomach.

I do eat a small amount of almonds or crackers once per day though, or some yogurt (because I'm lactose intolerant hahah). Sometimes I'll have salmon or some other kind of protein just for the nutritents.

But staying with liquids is easier for me to handle mentally. Solid food leads to regret, self-loathing, and every other sh*tty emotion one can have.

In regard to your question, I would recommend making healthy smoothies. You can add protein powders or anything, really! I think these help me to not look as sick as I actually am.
  • Butterfly kisses, aut-umnfall and caffeineaddiction264 like this

#4 Chubbychops

Chubbychops

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6717 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:03 AM

I've survived on liquid diets - but not 'long term' as I had a tendency to start restricting it until I was consuming nothing (fast track to hospital).

Even hospitalised majority of my weight gain was done through NG feeding/Ensure supplements.

In saying this liquid cals are slightly more tolerable than actual food for me but Ensure just spells 'treatment' and the thought of it turns my stomach. I was always sent home with a couple of big cans of Ensure Powder.

As others have suggested perhaps adding protein powder to soups, a product like Ensure/Boost/Complan etc... Good luck x
5ft 9" / 175 cm

CBMI : 43 kg / 95 lb - BMI 14.0 (01/10/20)
Dressed

Highest weight I have been in years. Functioning so much better but struggling somewhat mentally and physically to accept. Learning a lot about why I am like this.

- Re-diagnosed Nov-17 - back in treatment (OP) after more than 20 years.

LBMI : Who cares - I was screwed, can't remember much, severe depression and just wanting to die, unable to maintain temperature - have no desire to return to that little hell hole.

LDBMI - Lowest Discharge BMI (after 2.5 months hospitalisation) : 11.9... and finally, after 9+ years, some form of 'recovery/insight' - just not the "Made for TV" version.

Chubbychops Accountability

#5 CantEvenNameMyself

CantEvenNameMyself

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:03 AM

I have gastroparesis so yeah, mostly tube fed (peg-j)

#6 Butterfly kisses

Butterfly kisses

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 January 2021 - 07:46 AM

I'm with you on this one. Liquids don't make me feel as disgusting as solid food. I mainly thrive on coffee in the morning, then tea throughout the day, and an alcoholic beverage or two to make me pass out at night if I need it (only started this one recently, otherwise I did not drink for many many years). Some days, I'll make smoothies to get nutrition, but usually I'm too lazy to make them, or it just seems like too much for my stomach.

I do eat a small amount of almonds or crackers once per day though, or some yogurt (because I'm lactose intolerant hahah). Sometimes I'll have salmon or some other kind of protein just for the nutritents.

But staying with liquids is easier for me to handle mentally. Solid food leads to regret, self-loathing, and every other sh*tty emotion one can have.

In regard to your question, I would recommend making healthy smoothies. You can add protein powders or anything, really! I think these help me to not look as sick as I actually am.

Sorry for the extremely late response, are you at your lowest weight living on a diet like this (presuming you are?)
What's your intake now?

#7 Butterfly kisses

Butterfly kisses

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 January 2021 - 07:49 AM

I spent 5 months on one ensure per day (300cal).. transitioned back onto solid food IP last month. Honestly while liquid only was hell (and I struggled with b/p episodes once a week) I kinda miss how easy it was.. food is hard as fuck and prepping/ cooking/ cleaning.. I'm 25..

Can you increase the how many soups etc you have?

My IP team prescribed me ensure drinks but I cant bring myself to drink them, my current intake now is 1 coffee during day, an instant soup or 2 bullion cubes at night with mustard (weird I know) and water or zero cal drinks in between.
  • notadream likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: liquid diet, anorexia, cant chew, long term, over 30

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users