Anorexia & periods - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Anorexia & periods

Period Menstruation Bmi

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Monie Kah

Monie Kah

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:39 AM

At what BMI did your period stop and has it come back? Did you have to gain weight in order to get your period back or was it enough to just stop losing weight for a while and eat properly?

My period stoped at 18.8. Now I’ve been at 17.7 for a while and it still hasn’t come back. I realize it’s different for everyone, but I’m eating enough to be maintaining my weight and don’t have any vitamin deficiencies (checked) so I was hoping that would be enough to get my period back so I don’t have to gain weight...

#2 KathLEAN

KathLEAN

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:36 PM

I'm 5ft 6 and it mostly went away when I got under 108 lbs. It was definitely gone under 105

#3 lilshithead

lilshithead

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4114 posts
  • Locationburning in hell

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:37 PM

i think my last period was at BMI of like 18.5 and now i'm at 17.4 (and on testosterone, i'm transgender) so i highly doubt it is coming back. at least i hope not, i'd be so pissed.

5' 5"

hw: 165 BMI 27.5

lw: 88 BMI 14.6

cw: 99 BMI 16.5

RECOVERING + BUILDING MUSCLE

not a girl

My ramblings/food/exercise stuff:

https://www.myproana...ty-with-thinspo

#4 Ava Guinevere

Ava Guinevere

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:17 PM

I lost mine a few months ago, I'm not technically underweight for another kilo and I really want it back before my stupid brain takes it as another change I want to keep... trying to stop the weight loss has been hard enough and I'm not doing too great a job there- which is why I think anyone proposing to tell people to follow this as a weight loss took is cracked. You just have to have the disposition and you've just broken that person far worse than the extra weight did- it depends on a body fat percentage, hormones and diet. I eat reasonably healthily and if anything, I high restrict but my body fat has dropped enough to fuck with my hormones since mostly my sex drive is zilch.

I'm in the same boat, and I'm hoping the upped intake will do the trick, so I don't have to gain much, since my brain hates me these days. 

Oh, wait. I just realized I don't care.

• Guests

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:58 AM

I lost it quite early in my weight loss - around BMI 21.5, I think?
I just got it back, and my BMI is actually lower, like 20.5 or something. In recovery ♡

• Guests

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:59 AM

Also - yes, I had to gain weight, but in my case seemingly not all of it. Eating enough fat is essential.

#7 kailai

kailai

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:00 AM

my period stopped at 17.4 and came back at 18.5

cw: 48.0kg

gw1: 45kg

gw2: 42kg

ugw: 40kg

#8 DreamzZz

DreamzZz

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2121 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:32 AM

My BMI yoyos between 15.5 and 17.5 for the last 2.5 years and I've never lost it.

I occasionally go 3 months without it but that's due to my PCOS messing up my hormones.

When I lose weight (even while underweight) or restrict my intake/carbs my period is more consistent  -_-

tumblr_nuo8doSBL31ugtecno1_500.gif      

uar2jcfyunqqygwj.gif

Accountability

IG account

5'1

CW 85-90lb can't stop the 5lb yo-yo

HW ~115lbs

LW 82-83lbs

#9 sock demon

sock demon

Lord of Chaos and Glitter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2927 posts
  • Locationslurping coffee, pacing, and overanalyzing something

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:49 AM

i lost it at a BMI of 19 lol

tenor.gifbuy_the_sky_and_sell_the_sky_by_mvse-dcatumblr_nrk1hoaIpy1r0klrdo1_400.gif

Accountability/body pics:https://www.myproana.com/index.php/topic/3314634-to-inthinity-and-beyond-my-body-pics-accountability-weird-gifs-bmi-149-tw/#entry60697042

Vegemite Toast Club:https://www.myproana.com/index.php/topic/3101370-the-vegemite-toast-club-come-here-if-youre-aussie/

My Little Wonderland:https://www.myproana.com/index.php/topic/3452770-sock-demons-wonderland-where-i-post-stuff-that-makes-me-smile-▰˘◡˘▰/

Height: 5'3  HW: 113lbs BMI: 19.5 LW: 78lbs CW: 95lbs BMI: 16.8 GW: 90lbs UGW: 74lbs BMI: 12.8

tumblr_inline_mowsqzOg121qz4rgp.png

Who am I?

Spoiler

Ye old meme dump (UPDATED WITH MORE MEMESSSSSS) 

Spoiler

Gorillaz Gifs and Tom Hiddleston

Spoiler

#10 starry-eyed

starry-eyed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:56 AM

I've had them at BMI 15 before but I've also lost them at BMI 21. They've started/stopped at pretty much every weight in between (bear in mind I've had my ED for over 10 years). At this point I think they're just fucked tbh, I couldn't even predict it.

pixie over at eatingdisordercentral.com ♡ 

#11 SnowShakti

SnowShakti

hungry shadows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14820 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:02 AM

Lowest BMI 15.4, and I've been stable around 16.2 for about a year, and still bleeding, relatively regularly. My cycle is sometimes a bit squiffy, but I've never missed one. [Actually not in my whole life, and I'm 48 - and have been underweight or low end of healthy for all the time].

#12 Mrs rabbit41

Mrs rabbit41

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2027 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:36 PM

This is an interesting topic for me as my period has gone AWOL and I really have no idea what the hell is going on. After reading some of the above comments I’m surprised as my BMI is only about 17ish and has been for awhile. I have been starving intermittently all my life and it’s never gone away. But it’s SO late, I don’t know where the damn thing is. I’m not pregnant. I’m married and we have had huge upheavals in our lives the last few months. We were both just too exhausted. My body must have given up.

It’s driving me crazy but maybe just though years of abuse it’s just taken itself and gone off forever?

#13 Monie Kah

Monie Kah

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:53 PM

How much are you guys eating then? I’m at about 1400/day, and at my weight and activity level (not very active) that’s just sufficient to keep my weight stable.

How many calories a day were you eating when you lost your period and how much were you eating when you got it back?

#14 chelseasloanegirl

chelseasloanegirl

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1427 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:58 PM

I eat around 700 calories a day, and I lost my period when I had a BMI of 16. BUT I also used to get my period when I had a BMI of 12....so yeah not sure on that one. Think its more to do with nutrition that your actual body weight.

#15 E.Rufifrons

E.Rufifrons

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:01 PM

My lowest BMI was 14.7, this time around I've been at an average of 15.7 for 6 months plus, occasionally dipping down to 15.1 and it's been irregular but has never stopped - I'm 39 and have been underweight to some degree since mid teens except during a couple of binge eating episodes.

I've never really restricted that low though, so that could be a part of it - my lowest was always 750 cals/day and this time around I was doing 1100 - 1600 per day to lose - I eat at maintenance now and have done for 6 months.

5'4"/164cmCW - 41kg / BMI 15.2

Maintaining here for now 😘

LW- 39.5kg/87lbs BMI 14.7
HW60kg/132lbs BMI 22.3
UGW - 39kg BMI 14.5

#16 SearchingForSaff

SearchingForSaff

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10933 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:25 AM

I was first diagnosed with my ED when I was 9 and I've never maintained a BMI over 18 for more than a couple months..as a result, I've never had a period, have primary amenorrhea. 

~ "Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle" Alice in Wonderland. ~ 
Long story (read my profile) but diagnosed with anorexia, depression, aspergers and OCD.
Still struggling with accepting my weight after 5/6th ip admission, but determined to get a healthy, normal relationship with food. 

Stats:

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Period, Menstruation, Bmi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users