Haircuts/hairstyles for severe depression? - Beauty, Health and Wellness - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Haircuts/hairstyles for severe depression?

haircuts beauty depression ed hair

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 biggestcrybaby

biggestcrybaby

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:09 PM

Hey I need advice/suggestions! I've been going through bad depression and my mid waist-length hair has become matted and limp from my not washing/brushing. Does anyone have any suggestions to make it look better? I barely have the energy to wash my hair once every three days, let alone brush it like once a week at this point. 

I've also been thinking it might be best to just cut it to a medium length but can't find a style I know will be ok if I don't brush it. I don't want to go too short because I'm super fat rn and hide behind my hair as a security blanket but it's become this matted mop that causes me more problems nowadays than help. Any suggestions are welcome pls save my ugly limp ass hair lol

weight.png

#2 Fluttershy23

Fluttershy23

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:59 AM

I think a long bob that is longer in the front and shorter in the back would be a good option. It would help with the matted hair problem if you don’t want to brush it too much. You don’t have to get the bangs either but I love bangs personally. I want to get my hair cut like this next time I go to the salon. I think it’s really cute. Good luck I hope you feel better! Getting a nice haircut might help to boost your spirits a bit.

Attached Files

• calluna and internetangel like this

#3 loony26

loony26

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:35 AM

tumblr_oqlg7q0UmI1w79il7o3_1280.jpg

But seriously,

Is your hair naturally curly or straight? For you I think it's probably best to go with whatever your hair does on its own, without styling and all that hassle...

Does anything from here look appealing?

a9510642b388be783299a92840d8ee05.jpg

• internetangel likes this

0274cf873304389f0f7c10ebe134ee8b.gif

my accountability -- make yourself at home 

my personal blog website? internet display area?

Height: 163.5 cm (5'4")

CW: 55 kg (121 lbs) 

GW: 52 kg (114 lbs)

HW: 70 kg (154 lbs)

LW: 39 kg (86 lbs)

Spoiler

#4 lilshithead

lilshithead

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4114 posts
  • Locationburning in hell

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:12 PM

honestly i've been depressed for a while and i just cut pretty much all my hair off so now it's super short. i also dyed it a bright color to improve my mood but mostly to waste time. i don't really have to do anything to it at all

5' 5"

hw: 165 BMI 27.5

lw: 88 BMI 14.6

cw: 99 BMI 16.5

RECOVERING + BUILDING MUSCLE

not a girl

My ramblings/food/exercise stuff:

https://www.myproana...ty-with-thinspo

#5 Forget-Me-Not-03/12/80

Forget-Me-Not-03/12/80

Omniscient

• Members
  • 9203 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:27 PM

Hey I need advice/suggestions! I've been going through bad depression and my mid waist-length hair has become matted and limp from my not washing/brushing. Does anyone have any suggestions to make it look better? I barely have the energy to wash my hair once every three days, let alone brush it like once a week at this point.
I've also been thinking it might be best to just cut it to a medium length but can't find a style I know will be ok if I don't brush it. I don't want to go too short because I'm super fat rn and hide behind my hair as a security blanket but it's become this matted mop that causes me more problems nowadays than help. Any suggestions are welcome pls save my ugly limp ass hair lol

Try dry shampoo if you can't wash your hair. Short hair isn't going to be better if you don't shampoo and brush your hair It will probably make your greasy roots more noticeable if you cut it short.
  • LylaMae likes this

Recovery the best way to health

36 yr olds

4ft 9in

In recovery

Feeling healthy :)

I've decided to be happy because it is good for my health - voltaire

#6 an_hero

an_hero

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:32 PM

I think a long bob that is longer in the front and shorter in the back would be a good option. It would help with the matted hair problem if you don’t want to brush it too much. You don’t have to get the bangs either but I love bangs personally. I want to get my hair cut like this next time I go to the salon. I think it’s really cute. Good luck I hope you feel better! Getting a nice haircut might help to boost your spirits a bit.

I love this!!! SO cute. Definitely gonna try next time I go to the salon.

• Fluttershy23 and internetangel like this

#7 kestis

kestis

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:42 AM

I like some short hairstyles for fine hair a lot, and I would like to recommend you to try one of them too. I am sure you will find it interesting and helpful. Good luck with your hair and take care!

#8 ~faerie~

~faerie~

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:12 PM

This might sound ridiculous but what about shaving some of it off? I was finding I could no longer keep up with my insanely easy to manage haircut similar to the first reply, and was gonna cut it all off cuz i just didn't care anymore. My bf convinced me otherwise though, and helped me shave off all but the top third or so. Now i have a flattering little swish of hair that i can easily tie back and forget about, and it's so much easier to wash and brush!
Your name is a golden bell hung in my heart. I would break my body to pieces, to call you once by your name.

#9 Anamia.

Anamia.

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5615 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:06 PM

I recommend determining your face shape first and then looking through catalouges of hairstyles that are meant to flatter your face shape. You can then pick something you'll love  :wub:

tumblr static tumblr static filename focused V3

Height: 5'55 

HW:200
SW:166
CW: been stuck in the 120s like

UGW: 90 

Maintenance Goal: Staying in the range of the 40kgs (90-105ish lbs). BMI 16 probs the sweet spot.

2021 Accountability: https://www.myproana.../#entry75235121

2020-2021 Older Accountability: https://www.myproana...tarving-artist/

Affirmations: 

I am worthy of abundance in my life. (Just not in regards to fat on my body okay I want that fat-free female figure.)
Opportunities are always attracted to me and I am always presented with them at the right time.
I am worthy of financial security and financial abundance.

Gave up recovery and the idea of recovering.

I'm not so naiive as to believe that reaching my UGW would be ultimate happiness,

but it is so much easier to be sad and underweight than it is to be fat and depressed.

#10 Thaminess

Thaminess

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1370 posts
  • LocationThe Sunken Place

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:45 AM

I eventually just shaved it all off and surprisingly loved it. You have to have the right shaped head though, which you won't know until you shave it off lol

HW; 72 kg
LW: 49 kg
GW1: 65 kg
GW2: 60 kg
GW3: 55 kg

GW4: 50 kg
UGW1: 48 kg
UGW2: 45 kg

CW: FUCKING FAT.

tumblr_na26z6pZbs1tpwlh1o1_250.gif

#11 etrox318

etrox318

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5144 posts
  • LocationNowhere near you

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:26 AM

Ive suffered with severe depression that affected my hair. I advise cutting it short, to your shoulders at least.
https://www.myproana...-back-on-track/MY OLD ACCOUNTABILITY
https://www.myproana... MY NEW ACCOUNTABILITY
https://www.myproana...ookbooks-vegan/ MY MCDOUGALL RECIPE ADVENTURE
Female, diagnosed bulimic, previously diagnosed an-bp.
Hufflepuff, infp. Mostly vegan.
5'7"
Hw 208 BMI 32.6
Lw 105 BMI 16.4
Ugw 99 BMI 15.5
January 2021 Cw 128 BMI 20

#12 heleneMPA

heleneMPA

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:12 PM

People say short hair is better for depression but I disagree

For me it is difficult to take care of short hair

I have semi-long wavy hair and besides washing/conditioning I don't need to spend 1 hour a day on my hair...

Don't quote my posts and topics, please.  :) 

#13 hellybelly

hellybelly

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1227 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 02 September 2018 - 12:01 PM

After washing and combing I put my hair back in a tight pony tail and then do a simple 3 point braid. Even if I go a few days without ever combing or washing it the braid helps keep it from getting matted.  It won't look pretty but when the braid comes out the hair is almost as tangle free as when it was done up. 

#14 OMANKO

OMANKO

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4431 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 02 September 2018 - 01:00 PM

I only brush my hair once a week when it gets matted and I usually wear it in a loose high ponytail with some pieces out on the side.

chronic orthorexia + an/bp

IBS-A, adhd and bipolar ii

taking life one day at a time, currently relapsing

711ac3ac54046c9beeced563b7e05693.jpg

height   5'6

LW       101

HW       135

CW       108

accountability

my tumblr

#15 Helvegen

Helvegen

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:10 AM

Braids are a lifesaver. You can leave them in for ages if you need to, and if you French braid, no one can tell if your hairs a bit dirty
I speak from experience lol
Sorry you’re going through this, it sucks ass. Have an internet hug ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my shitty accountability: http://www.myproana....accountability/

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
    Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
    In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
    und bin im Wasser verbrannt
    Im Wasser verbrannt

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: haircuts, beauty, depression, ed, hair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users