exercises that don't build muscle? - Page 2 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

exercises that don't build muscle?

exercise legs weight loss help

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 zoodlecat

zoodlecat

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationUS & Germany

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:37 AM

This is why so many Anorectics die from cardiac arrest.  The cardiac muscle is consumed during the catabolic process and it can no longer pump blood due to a lack of muscle tissue.  Death results. 

Yes... I got close to this and it was very bad. Low restricting and doing only catabolic exercise is one of the most dangerous things one can do. I hope it didn't appear I was recommending this. I was simply answering the question, but would never recommend restriction plus doing intense catabolic exercise. I think if one wants to lose weight and muscle through catabolic exercise its essential to eat enough to prevent this from happening

• ash~doll and balletbambi like this

Starting over.

#22 anorexicduty

anorexicduty

Queen of Hearts

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23354 posts
  • LocationMaryland, US

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:03 AM

Walking is great for toning the leg muscles.

You want to do repetition not resistance training.

Repetition should not involve any strain or resistance.

Ht.: 5'7" | SW:147 lbs.| CW::125.4 lbs.| BMI: 19.6  
(6-26-2020)

Trump Still Sucks

#23 Heisenbυrg

Heisenbυrg

Lord Heisenburg

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62748 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:07 AM

walking

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

NEW ACCOUNTABILITY

HEISENBURGS DUMPING EVERYTHING HERE!!

Send me hate:

https://heis94.sarahah.com/

HIIIII

I'LL BE MORE ACTIVE ON EDC

FIND ME THERE AND LET'S BE FRANDS

LINK : http://eatingdisordercentral.com

ALSO

I have a youtube channel too!

subscribe if ya want

(going to upload videos soon!.. more ed content and random shit)

https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

"Heis,
You are you,
Perfection and goals,
How I long to see you be whole" - S'mores

#24 Funshit

Funshit

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Locationa random hole

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:24 AM

Bike, treadmill etc dont "build" muscle, depends on how you use them as with everything. If you do cardio (low intensity/resistance) you focus the training in burning fat long-term, if you do hiit you focus in boosting metabolism, if you do strenght training in strenght obviously and same with volume.

If you want to lose fat aka get thin but toned I would suggest you to do hiit exercises -such as sprints since you want to work legs- and then some cardio. That way you will increase metabolic rate and then be more likely to burn fat when you do cardio. Wouldnt do hiit more than 3 times a week though cause its very stressing. The rest of the days I would go for some training that you like and then cardio -I do cardio always the last cause its the most effective way to start burning fat sooner since your metabolism is already activated due to other exercises-. Also when I do cardio I do 3 mins low intensity 1 min med/high intensity
  • Undiscovered Soul likes this

#25 RatherDeadThanFat

RatherDeadThanFat

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:32 AM

I have the same issues. I do a lot of sports, especially functional training and ballet and both build muscles in my thighs and calves really fast even on a cal deficit. My nutrition is mainly protein based.

I do a lot of long distance running either to rather burn body mass. But I still want to look defined, not sickly skinny or - even worse - skinny fat.

I hope as soon as the fat gets off, there are only lean muscle left..

• ash~doll likes this

30F - 5'8" - CW 145 - HW 190 - LW 142 - GW 135 - UGW 120

#26 sophia40kg

sophia40kg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 02:00 AM

I understand the struggle because I suffered format myself. I used to ride a stationary bike for 1 hour a day, zero resistance and my legs were like tree trunks and at my heaviest I was 55 kg. I am 5ft 4. 

This is what I found helps me. 

I now do no exercise whatsoever except walking day to day and light stretching. 

I fast instead. I find it easier, plus I think physical exercise stimulates appetite. 

I also eat limited protein cos I think protein bulks me up. 

#27 Chlorophyll

Chlorophyll

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2455 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 02:51 AM

I was always told that the best exercise for this purpose was swimming because it burns the most calories for a non-weight bearing cardio.

They even used to recommend that post menopausal women pick other forms of cardio because swimming doesn't* build muscle or positively effect bone density. Idk, I heard that a while ago tho. Is it still a thing?

I had to edit this...I meant to say swimming doesn't significantly build muscle in the long term. :P

#28 skinn-annd-bonnes

skinn-annd-bonnes

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1505 posts
  • LocationChewandswallow

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

I gain muscle like crazy in my legs. It’s awful. I think that if you don’t eat a lot of calories and protein, you’ll be okay. After a while your body will start burning muscle instead of fat. And if you end up gaining muscle it’s not the end of the world, you need muscle to help aid weight loss!
¿

#29 skinn-annd-bonnes

skinn-annd-bonnes

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1505 posts
  • LocationChewandswallow

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:34 PM

I gain muscle like crazy in my legs. It’s awful. I think that if you don’t eat a lot of calories and protein, you’ll be okay. After a while your body will start burning muscle instead of fat. And if you end up gaining muscle it’s not the end of the world, you need muscle to help aid weight loss!
¿

#30 powdercloud

powdercloud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:51 PM

I just walk a lot

#31 boneless_limbs

boneless_limbs

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:10 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=0RDzI4C5vIs

I did this routine twice a day for about two weeks and there was a HUGE difference by the end, and it was visible. So if you're looking for any toning exercises, these are really good for that. 

For more general exercises, I'd recommend cardio of any sort really. It burns fat pretty quickly, and generally any muscle you gain from cardio (not biking) doesn't make you more bulky. Obviously avoid weights and squats. 

172cm | 5'7

"If you're making excuses while trying to lose weight, then that just proves that you don't really want it."

"She's gonna lose weight faster than you if you eat."

"I wanted you to see what real courage is... it's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what."

Accountability: 

"the girl who cried diets"

#32 Ellsa

Ellsa

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:20 AM

Running long distances and medium pace, NO sprinting, NO incline, 3-4 hours a week. Pilates, yoga, no weights, no squats, no Lunges. This slimmed my legs down in no time.

Avoid biking, this bulks up the legs, also HIIT.

I met the darkness, said

"How do you do?"

I danced on water with the weight on my shoulders

I fell right through

In the water I see

What really lies beneath

In the water I see

Who I'm trying to be

In the water I see

Everything I want comes at a cost

Everything I want comes at a cost

And I want it all

So ring me up, put it on my tab

Whatever the cost

I'm good for it

#33 Anamia.

Anamia.

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4863 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:36 PM

Do cardio and don't eat caloric surplus, eat caloric deficit. You'll lose weight and after you lose a certain amount of fat your body will break down fat AND muscle.

I used to have really muscular arms/legs from gymanstics/athletics I did when I was little and then I got fat during puberty which made me kinda look like a sumo wrestler cavewoman, but when I lost weight I lost a bunch of fat and then the muscle started eventually breaking down. My legs (quads!!!) still have some athletic curve but give it about two BMI points and I'll start seeing the chopstick legs I want.  -_-

Height: 5'55 

HW:200
SW:166
CW: 120-125 range (54-57 kg)

UGW: 90 

Maintenance Goal: Between 90 and 105.

Accountability: https://www.myproana...tarving-artist/

Affirmations: 

I am worthy of abundance in my life. (Just not in regards to fat on my body okay I want that fat-free female figure.)
Opportunities are always attracted to me and I am always presented with them at the right time.
I am worthy of financial security and financial abundance.

weight.png?_t=1592864936

Gave up recovery and the idea of recovering. I just wanna reach an underweight range, live in comfort and solitude and financial prosperity...

and b/p all the food I want.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exercise, legs, weight loss, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users