Chewing/Spitting - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Chewing/Spitting

ana chew spit ed ask help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 XxBLPxX

XxBLPxX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:42 PM

So I have been dealing with this issue for a few months now, but I am painfully addicted to chewing/spitting food. Not healthy food (I will swallow that), but I'm talking things like PopTarts, Cookies, and Cheetos. I am very anal about not swallowing ANY of it, though I obviously absorb some of the calories, not all, but enough. I do it til my tongue is all cut up and my mouth hurts. It's disgusting. I want to stop so fucking bad but I can't. Any advice? Has anyone dealt with this and successfully stopped? 

• 李君儒 likes this

#2 Ababy

Ababy

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:11 AM

A very bad habit of mine also. I only do it with chips, butter, chocolate, anything I wouldn't ever swallow. I don't have tips. It's the hardest habit to break ever. Worse than trying to stop smoking.

LW: 26kg Lowest BMI: 9.8   HW: 44kg Highest BMI 16.6 

Current BMI, 15.5

#3 Cabba

Cabba

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:23 AM

C/S isn't something I do often, but whenever I do, I mainly C/S junk food because I don't need anything devoid of macros in my digestive system. It's best to just avoid junk food altogether, though. I've only done C/S to healthy food when I had too much food in my kitchen overall, and I need to get rid of it to avoid a binge. From my perspective, doing C/S to any food makes the experience unlikable, so I'm discouraged from having that food in any way. Therefore C/S isn't a habit of mine, it's just a special strategy to get a taste of something "forbidden" that I'm craving. My advice would be to only C/S when you're really craving something and only have a small volume of that thing so you get the taste and don't develop pain in your mouth... you would still be satisfying your craving that way.

• teaxxxholic likes this
BackLinedBlackrussianterrier-size_restri

#4 4thBaudelaire

4thBaudelaire

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, AUS

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:00 AM

One of the reasons your mouth is in such bad shape is because c/s is super dehydrating. Think of all that good saliva youre spitting out. Make sure you're rehydrating between bites, try to cut down on abrasive foods idk
  • SweetSweetSugar, Ababy, Photosynthesis and 2 others like this
🐳🐳🐳 tumblr: whale-orexic 🐳🐳🐳

#5 teaxxxholic

teaxxxholic

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:25 PM

I don’t do this every day or anything... but it feels a bit empowering when I do it to be sly.

115.4 114 113 112 111 110 109 108 107 106 105 104 103 102 101 100 99 98 97 96 95 94 93 (5'10)

#6 Fighting Lacey

Fighting Lacey

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:00 PM

I used to do this a lot when my ED first started and I was crap at purging. Then started b/ping and didn’t c/s anymore. 10/10 do not recommend starting purging or binging and purging as an alternative btw, it’s awful.

I think as my ED has developed in years and years I crave sweet/crappy food less and have learnt to have it in moderation. I think what helped was just eating a combo of all foods but in moderation rather than labelling food “good” and “bad” or “healthy” and “unhealthy”. Obvs some food still are worse for you than others, but a little in moderation every so often might make them more acceptable to keep down (maybe just start with just a bite?) and over time the need to c/s might decrease.

Soz that’s such a long term plan 😕
  • Ababy likes this

Married, age 27, vegan. 27 weeks pregnant.

Diagnosed AN, AN B/P & BN at different times.

Re-diagnosed AN 07 May 2019.

HW - 134.4lbs - BMI 23.39 - 30 Oct 2010

SW  - 115.6lbs - BMI 20.12 - 11 Jan 2019

CW - 137.2lbs - BMI 23.88 - 17 Sept 2019 (27 weeks pregnant)

Min  LW - 88.8lbs - BMI 15.45 - 27 Jan 2012 

2019 LW - 99.4lbs - BMI 17.30 - 08 Mar 2019

GW1 - 110lbs - BMI 19.14

GW2 - 105lbs - BMI 18.27

GW3 - 100lbs - BMI 17.4

GW4 - 97lbs - BMI 16.88 ?

Have had to switch thoughts to gaining weight and struggling...

Now having weekly outpatient therapy.

Accountability Thread (updated most days)

#7 SweetSweetSugar

SweetSweetSugar

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:17 PM

I don’t know.. think of all the money you’re wasting and where that could go instead. I c/s here and there, but not enough to be wasting a lot of money or to be addicted, so I’m not concerned. I think c/s is a good alternative to satisfying cravings, but not good to do too much. I mean it’s much better than purging, so stick to c/s if you’re gonna have to choose between the two in the end.

5'1"

cw: 111.0 lbs | 21.0 bmi (03/17/20)

ugw: 94 lbs | 17.8 bmi

i'm a mess

#8 purplefingersxo

purplefingersxo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:25 PM

It's a really bad habit please stop! I used to do it and it makes your mouth so sore and swollen, and it's bad for your teeth. I understand how hard it is to stop. Try keeping busy and distracting yourself with things you enjoy. 

Height: 5ft + half an inch 

CW: 112 111 110 109  :unsure:

LW: 75  :wub:

GW1: 98 

GW2: 84

GW3: 77

UGW: 70

#9 via75

via75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:27 PM

Ive been chewing and spitting a lot more, and the reason why your mouth is so cut up is because c&s is very drying on the mouth so  make sure to rehydrate :)

0f5f79ec97bc905e8c76691e54fa0cbd.png

H : 5 " 6

H W : 1 3 9 l b s

C W : 1 1 4 l b s

G W : 1 1 0 l b s

U G W : 1 0 0 l b

0f5f79ec97bc905e8c76691e54fa0cbd.png

#10 jjbrokenjj

jjbrokenjj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:44 PM

Just like via75 said, make sure to drink a lot of water!!
It's really important to be hydrated enough... water is like the elixir of life. <3

~~
SW: 120
CW: 127
LW: 114
GW: 100
UGW: 90

#11 2BeThinEnough

2BeThinEnough

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2458 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:16 PM

I can only empathize...I was actually just researching this issue one surprising thing I noticed is that it was discovered more common in AN than BN. I feel horrible for admitting that made me feel any bit better about it. I just feel so wasteful as a poor person and I basically feel like I have binged...same mindset...regardless of how carefully I am not to swallow.
1 thing I try to avoid is anything that dissolves into simple sugar or is hell "frosted with" simple sugar because biologically those are the only typed of foods I can see with calories being absorbed by the mouth or easier to accidentally swallow. Easier said than done I know bc the starving body usually craves those simple carbs first.
I wish I had valuable insight on how to quit but I don't. The only thing I have found slightly helpful is keeping most of the trigger foods out of the house and only 1 or 2 items left for my daughter so I'm less likely to touch them bc they're hers and I always make sure that it isn't a gluten free item to additionally tempt me. Luckily the crap my mom buys doesn't fit into any of my restrictions and somethings are just gross...
I am trying to make my shopping more frequent. I am hoping this helps me budget better and not be out of safe fresh produce 2 weeks prior to more food stamps..
in which case I am highly unmotivated to purchasing food with other money I NEED.

Anyone have anything more useful post bc I'm going to mark following...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
  • thin-outsider likes this

#12 sorrysir

sorrysir

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:04 PM

I chew and spit every day, (usually for a few hours.) and I've been doing it for years. I drink when I chew and spit and I've never had a cut up mouth since I hydrate (Water also makes you feel full.)

I only c/s junk food, and I try to get cheep junk food. I make a lot of mug brownies, bake cookies, buy stuff on sale. I don't feel like it's wasteful because it's all "bad" food. 

I'm really addicted and don't know how to stop. I also am not sure what the health ramifications are as I have not experienced any yet, and the data on it seems to be mostly anecdotal. I justify it by thinking that it's better then purging. If you ever want to chat about it message me!

• thin-outsider, Ababy and prizma like this

Height: 5'4"

SW: 118

CW: 113

GW: 105

My accountability

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ana, chew, spit, ed, ask, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users