how are you able to eat so little? - Page 38 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

how are you able to eat so little?

calories food restricting

• Please log in to reply
796 replies to this topic

#741 starving-satisfaction

starving-satisfaction

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2238 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:29 AM

i used to only be able to keep down little amounts when i was younger, im talking 400 cal a day max. most of the time i would eat only fruit and broccoli. that on top of constant exercise.

now i have 2 jobs and school to do. i eat about 1300 max, but i don’t count my calories religiously either. most days i probably have 800-1000. i exercise frequently and my job has me on my feet and walking/lifting/ carrying things for hours so it balances out, i end up losing pretty quickly when i try. eating over 1000 gives me a lot of anxiety and guilt. my body dysmorphia is directly tied with feelings of fullness.

weirdly enough, im maintaining my weight so much better eating more, than i did when i barely ate. i was fluctuating a lot but in the range of about 105-115 lb when i was younger, rn im maintaining solid 110-115 ill be back down into the 100s soon.

i have some chronic health issues. if i don’t eat little bits throughout the day and constantly drink water/Gatorade/pedialyte i will go into an episode. i have to keep my sodium, blood sugar & blood pressure up. the other day i nearly fainted while driving bc i fasted for awhile... then had to go to the hospital to restore fluids cause anytime i tried to eat/drink i would vomit profusely

i sometimes do restrict lower than what is healthy for me. but i value my education and my ability to function more than my eating disorder, and i grieve everything i already lost to my ed. if im going to engage in my ed behaviors im not going to let it take control of my life. im in recovery for everything else except my ed. ive worked really hard to be better mentally, and that’s definitely helped my compulsions to restrict very low.

however it’s still really hard for me to be comfortable with the amounts i eat. i would ideally eat less. if i don’t have anything to do that day i usually will eat less.
  • ekkiana likes this
she/they!
𝖎𝖓𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖌𝖗𝖆𝖒: starvingsatisfaction

y͎o͎u͎ ͎m͎a͎t͎t͎e͎r͎

US crisis hotline: 1-800-273-8255
NEDA hotline: 1-800-931-2237
NEDA crisis chat link: https://www.national...ontact-helpline

chasing a body i know that i'll never outrun.

19 y/o • ed since 2011

#742 VioletM127

VioletM127

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationThe pit of Tartarus (Southern USA)

Posted 14 June 2021 - 11:44 AM

The only reason I am able to restrict so low is because I gradually reduced my calories so that my stomach shrank and because my brain is just really  stupid and unreasonable, lol.

Height: 5'9"

BMI: 12.2

#743 teaworkeat

teaworkeat

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3880 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:21 PM

The only times I’d eaten like that I just didn’t care and felt emotionally worse than whatever hunger could do.

#744 dreamsynopsis

dreamsynopsis

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2215 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:29 PM

i'm not eating that low right now but in the past it was because i was just so terrified of food. had nothing to do with how fast i lost or anything. 

• ekkiana likes this

i want to commit, restricting is a compromise at this point.

Spoiler

#745 SPIRITANIMAL

SPIRITANIMAL

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:43 PM

well first off right now i dont "eat so little" i don't eat at all like i don't eat solid food anymore i just drink liquid calories when i do have an intake and i stay below 200 cals a day, the other day i had 257 cals and i almost ended my life bc i'm that bad of a state, anyways the way i'm able to do this right now i think is a combination of things, i think i'm just very mentally ill with my ed to say the very least like it's just the worst it's ever been and i just can't get a grip but also i'm on a medication that has been shown in many many studies to cause anorexia or make recovered anorexics relapse , it's often used to treat binge eating and i actually went on it to help my binging but we knew it could worsen my restriction but idk i'm just a bad headcase in general but when i see my psychiatrist tomorrow i'm going to tell him i'm back to severe starvation as i actually just got out of the ICU bc i had an OD and with it i developed refeeding syndrome and was on TPN and had an ng tube and now i'm right back home and right back where i was before as far as the severe starvation so i'm gonna ask him if he knows anybody that would be willing to work with me so i can do enteral or parenteral nutrition at home (my local hospital is very resistant to treating me inpatient and has no inpatient ed treatment and won't treat me medically for my ed unless i'm literally like having a heart attack  or my blood sugar was at like below 2.2 etc) but my psychiatrist is amazing still and he will do what he can despite him not specializing in eating disorders and there being very very limited resources here...

Worst relapse in many years recently... lots of medical issues too heds, gastroparesis, etc .. Cw: ?? i think somewhere in 140lbs's range ..stuck between wanting this mental and physical torture to end but also i want to lose so much more and give in completely Hw: 100kgs+ Lw: i was in hospital and couldn't stand without passing out, like 50-52kgs (not low but medically compromised) GW: 103lbs/46.7kgs  .. Eating disorders aren't weight disorders, they're mental disorders (try to remind myself of this everytime I see the number on the scale) ... add my new ed and mh focused and safe place snapchat: littlelar15 .. desperate for socializing and friends in general

#746 MyAnnebelleLee

MyAnnebelleLee

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 09:34 PM

im honestly not hungry/wanna lose weight quicker/feel guilty

• Lilphoenixgirl95 likes this

#747 matchadolly

matchadolly

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18459 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 06:08 PM

ed
  • ekkiana likes this

#748 djvenuslove

djvenuslove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Locationrussia

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:38 PM

i think its all about the will and this huge feeling to prove smth to someome. i also kinda love this pain that hunger gives (yk emptynes, u feel dizzy all the time etc). plus i just hate the feeling that food gives. i start to get warm and bloated, it feels like in a sec im gaining 45654645 kilos of pure fat from each bite. then i just cant even function normally, so yeah. its easy

#749 osakimilwakee

osakimilwakee

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:13 PM

ECA stack and fear of the scale

"We all go a little mad sometimes."

norman bates was a very clever criminal . . .

welcome to my world, human

"we who are of noble blood may not follow the wishes of our hearts."

H: 5'7.5"

CW: 108 lbs.

HW: 120 lbs.
LW: 106 lbs.

GW: 95 lbs.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

#750 snowqueenxx

snowqueenxx

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • LocationSnowland

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:27 PM

I mean having a mental illness helps.
  • ekkiana and segpriv like this

#751 buried corpse

buried corpse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 08:07 AM

i drink water/tea and chew gum, which deals with the main cause of my overeating (sensory stimulation). since my general motivating factor towards starving myself is the desire for sickness, any sensations such as weakness or dizziness actually validate and reaffirm my actions. also, distractions and keeping warm really help.

#752 ekkiana

ekkiana

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2661 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 08:17 AM

im just wondering how you guys are able to eat so little everyday. like if i eat under 500 calories, ill get really sick and my body will start to reject food if i try to eat.
another question. please dont get mad at me for asking: but why? for me if i eat 250 calories ill lose they same amount of weight from eating 1000 calories.
i even lost a pound from eating 1200 calories once. so whats the point of eating like 200 calories daily?

Don't worry I'm similar. I think it's because the metabolism slows down to compensate somewhat.

Height: 170.5cm (5’7”)
HW: 84kg (BMI 29) - Overweight
SW: 73.5kg (BMI 25) - Overweight
CW: 66.7kg (BMI 23.1) - Healthy Weight
GW 1: 63kg (BMI 21.8) - Healthy Weight
GW 2: 60kg (BMI 20.8) - Healthy Weight
GW 3: 55kg (BMI 19) - Healthy Weight
GW 4: 50kg (BMI 17) - Underweight
GW 5: 44kg (BMI 15) - Underweight
LW: 40kg (BMI 14) - Underweight
UGW: 39kg (BMI <14) (I just kind of want to say I got into the 30’s but also I know that’s really dangerous!)
UGW 2: 30kg (BMI 10.4) - Underweight (Will never get here, it's too low, I'd die I think, but hm I wish I could say I'd made it to BMI 10, so fucked up)

#753 ekkiana

ekkiana

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2661 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 08:22 AM

I mean my ED has definitely evolved and changed with time. But back in my "wtf is happening to me" AN-R days, I mean, I just got so afraid of the guilt and terror associated with eating I legitimately could NOT make myself eat over a certain amount. I remember one time I did, (by like the most pitiful amount of negligible calories too!) And I was in hysterics for the next two hours crying and screaming that I was losing control of myself and everything was coming crashing down around me. That's what used to do it. The sheer terror of losing control.

Nowadays I've learned alot more about food and nutrition and ED's and idk it's just my desire for control that keeps me in check. But there's days where I don't care as much and I loosen my grip on food somewhat. Or entirely and just binge. It's super stupid and weird.

TL;dr FEAR. Fear is what kept me from eating. CONTROL is what keeps me from eating nowadays.
  • skinnydreams2212 and segpriv like this

UGW: 39kg (BMI <14) (I just kind of want to say I got into the 30’s but also I know that’s really dangerous!)
UGW 2: 30kg (BMI 10.4) - Underweight (Will never get here, it's too low, I'd die I think, but hm I wish I could say I'd made it to BMI 10, so fucked up)

#754 ekkiana

ekkiana

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2661 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 08:24 AM

i'm not eating that low right now but in the past it was because i was just so terrified of food. had nothing to do with how fast i lost or anything.

Exactly.

#755 bagelwitch

bagelwitch

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 09:02 AM

It's the feeling really sick and my body rejecting food that allows me to eat so little.  0/10 don't recommenced.  You can eat much higher and still lose weight while maintaining some sanity and physical function.  

#756 Guest_Ace-Of-Spades_*

Guest_Ace-Of-Spades_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:22 PM

well for me the hunger pains are like- a form of comfort almost? So I only eat when I feel like im about to pass out, maybe two or three times a day? but nothin big? like a granola bar maybe? I don't really find it an issue unless there is a bunch of really good food (especially junk food) in front of me, but i've been binge free and stayed under my limit for over a month.

as for why, for me it's a form of self harm??? deliberate harm on my body? Never been able to put in words just how much I fucking hate myself. to me it isn't about losing weight quite so much as just damaging my body. weight loss is a really nice reward tho and I love it when my bmi gets lower but for me it just isn't what my ed is based around.

#757 kitn

kitn

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 9422 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:57 PM

guilt and fear 

• ekkiana likes this

msgs broken sorry!

tumblr | twitter

ask me things

accountability

#758 Hungryforchallah

Hungryforchallah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 02:26 AM

I drink a ton of water and generally fast 1-3 days at a time. Since I'm used to it now, I don't get so hungry...Then I eat low cal foods- mainly apples and cucumbers which fill me up. Part of the reason I eat so little during the week though is because on the weekend I end up having to eat a lot of fear foods because of Shabbat and so Friday/ Saturday I eat more because I'm in a group setting and it'll look too weird not to.

#759 Pax~Immorte

Pax~Immorte

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • LocationCanuck 🍁

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:09 AM

I drink a lot of hot tea and diet pop and chew a shit ton of gum (sometimes I even fall asleep with gum in my mouth! Anyone else do that? Thanks god I have a shaved head!)
I also eat twice a day once mid day and once right before bed and make sure I get a loooonnng sleep. But I also don’t work so I don’t have much of a life. I can’t imagine keeping up this way of living if I was in school or working a art or full time job. Chronic anorexia has rendered me pretty fucked up - I will be on disability for life
On the upside, I read and walk a ton and those bring me a lot of joy, plus I have great friends and family who understand that I am more than my illness and encourage that part of me to come out more so some days are better than others.
Every day I hope I might be able to overcome the fear of eating more… It’s weird but I really do miss food! But the fear of it is paralyzing.
I came, I saw, I tried to leave
but life just wasn’t done with me
So I waved hospice goodbye, took Ana’s hand in mine and begged
“Peace until the end?”
And with wry reply she sighed
“I’ll do my best my friend…”
So we live
side by side
Until it’s our turn to drift away
on the gentle tide
~Pax

Current BMI - 12.9… (Dec 7, 2021)
Goal: I just want to be strong enough to fulfill this life’s purpose before blowin’ this popsicle stand and hitchhiking to the next life… Whatever bmi that is, preferably in the 13ish range… That’s my safe place

“I meant to write about death, only life came breaking in as usual”
~Virginia Woolf

#760 Lovelybonespook

Lovelybonespook

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1032 posts
  • LocationKentucky USA

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:26 AM

If I’m having relationship problems with my boyfriend I eat nothing. It’s my coping mechanism as messed up as that is.
On any other day though I eat between 600 and 800.
BMI: 16.2
CW: 103.5 lbs
GW: 95 lbs
LW: 95 lbs
HW: 126 lbs

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: calories, food, restricting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users