how are you able to eat so little? - Page 40 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

how are you able to eat so little?

calories food restricting

• Please log in to reply
796 replies to this topic

#781 Princess_999_emergency

Princess_999_emergency

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:10 AM

Most people don’t eat so little. I’m sure the ones that say they eat 500 or less are on a temporary diet to lose weight fast. If anybody kept up at only 500 calories they would be dead in year. Even long term anorexics with very low BMIs can afford higher calories and maintain.

I disagree, I maintained an intake of 500 or under for a long time… I mean yes I ended up in treatment, but it is possible and I didn’t binge. There was nothing temporary, it was just the way my ED was at the time. It only increased with a lot of therapy and the threat of intensive day patient two weeks later if I didn’t start sticking to their increase plan.

177cm
HW: 77 kilos

LW: 47.5 kilos

UGW: 44 kilos

CW: 53 kilos … BMI: 16.9

GW1: 63

GW2: 58

GW3: 55

GW4: 52

GW5: 49

GW6: 47

UGW: 44

#782 Bambi_B1tch

Bambi_B1tch

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:12 AM

Protien shakes 😩
  • Zoe14 likes this

#783 restlessandconfused

restlessandconfused

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:23 AM

I disagree, I maintained an intake of 500 or under for a long time… I mean yes I ended up in treatment, but it is possible and I didn’t binge. There was nothing temporary, it was just the way my ED was at the time. It only increased with a lot of therapy and the threat of intensive day patient two weeks later if I didn’t start sticking to their increase plan.

agree. 

i was on extremely low restriction for months without bingeing. i just wasn't able to eat more at the time. it was hard enough to take in what i was having. 

eventually it landed me in hospital with blood pressure so low they weren't sure why i wasn't in a coma. and i was losing weight frighteningly fast, even for an anorexic wanting to lose weight i was scared. so yeah, 0/10 do not recommend. but mostly restricting that low for sustained periods isn't something you can control, its dictated by the ED.

#784 tuvstarr

tuvstarr

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:30 AM

My appetite is dead somehow. It baffles me because I don't remember this ever happening before in the five years I have had my ED. Like I've spent the last five years obsessing over food 24/7. Depression is probably to blame, but now I force myself to eat at least 1000 because my liver's getting fucked whoops.

#785 Lovelybonespook

Lovelybonespook

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • LocationKentucky USA

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:15 AM

Idk, it’s just something that I can control. It’s actually the only thing I have control over in my life... At first I felt hungry, but eventually that feeling went away and now it just doesn’t really bother me, I feel nothing.

Goals. I f***ing suck at restricting
BMI: 16.6
CW: 106 lbs
GW: 100 lbs
LW: 95 lbs
HW: 126 lbs

#786 ANAtomist

ANAtomist

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4608 posts
  • Locationmed school library

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:32 AM

Lol not sure is this related but earlier on today I had an internal conversation in my head which went something like this

me: aaagh I’m so hungry and weak maybe I will just go down to canteen and have something 

also me to me: oh nah but then I have this prac tmr if I am hungrier than usual it helps me to memorise the notes better 

me again: but then now I’m so hungry all I can think about is food

Me to me again: maybe a glass of sugar free hot chocolate drink will help? You don’t need to go to canteen… 

*drinks chocolate*

me to me again second time: ok ANAtomist, you all good? Not hungry anymore? Yea you don’t need food, it’s all good. You don’t wanna be fat and failing your prac. Ok time to study again

[Updated: Nov, 2021] 168cm | 37kg | BMI = 13.2

Fasting | AA | Randoms | <3 | Recipes | Story-time | No Sugar Challenge 

AN - r / Orthorexia

#787 Lovelybonespook

Lovelybonespook

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 962 posts
  • LocationKentucky USA

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:35 PM

I think it's probably because I'm just a really stubborn person in general. I don't really give up or give in because defeat is not an option B)

Plus university is pretty time consuming so it keeps me pretty occupied I guess. I may have an ED but I'm still a pretty diligent student lol

Can I be more like you please? I feel like I’m a fat person at heart I love food and even though I’m underweight I love eating and it’s a cold start struggle to restrict. FML

#788 beyond.the.boundary

beyond.the.boundary

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 01:07 PM

Lol not sure is this related but earlier on today I had an internal conversation in my head which went something like this

me: aaagh I’m so hungry and weak maybe I will just go down to canteen and have something 

also me to me: oh nah but then I have this prac tmr if I am hungrier than usual it helps me to memorise the notes better 

me again: but then now I’m so hungry all I can think about is food

Me to me again: maybe a glass of sugar free hot chocolate drink will help? You don’t need to go to canteen… 

*drinks chocolate*

me to me again second time: ok ANAtomist, you all good? Not hungry anymore? Yea you don’t need food, it’s all good. You don’t wanna be fat and failing your prac. Ok time to study again

I admire your ability to study while hungry. When I restrict really low I lose all motivation to do anything. I am supposed to be studying Arabic and French for my placement exams for the spring semester (because I am transferring schools, to a new major). I also really enjoy journaling and working on my poetry and the novel I am so close to finishing. But every time I try to convince myself to do it, it just seems astronomically hard and I feel like being an mpa-browsing vegetable is so much easier. I am hoping this will change at some point when I am finally able to make myself do it, but who knows.

Also, your commentary is very amusing. I find myself doing the same thing multiple times a day.

• ANAtomist and rosemarystruggles like this
anorexia

autism

depression

anxiety

borderline

OCD tendencies

--------------------------------------------

ethical vegetarian

she/her, aro/ace

19 y/o
Height: 5'3"/160 cm
SW: 118/53.5
CW: 99.4/45.1

LW: 91/41.3

Goal: to find my will to live again,

and share my gifts with the world.

--------------------------------------------

Just a nonfunctional writer-hermit,

waiting to be swallowed by the void.

Will she make it through this?

It remains to be seen.

9c769eb0533554546082477ad44ed2c6-hunter-

#789 erroneous

erroneous

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 980 posts
  • Locationmy head

Posted 13 October 2021 - 02:04 PM

I'd actually fucking love to eat more cos you fucking can... For some reason my brain has whittled my intake down to fasting-500 calories and not even letting me hydrate properly even if it's counter productive in the long term
There is no real logic and I have come to terms with that now

Mole

#790 Lovelybonespook

Lovelybonespook

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 962 posts
  • LocationKentucky USA

Posted 13 October 2021 - 02:06 PM

For me the strict caloric restrictions are based in mental issues, but lower calories still makes for faster weight loss for me personally. Everyone body is different and special.
To stave off of hunger sickness I recommend lots and lots of water and getting your calories from nutritionally dense foods. Like really dense. Lots of protein and fat. I eat a loooot of eggs. Everyday, with these daggum eggs! They call me egg boy. Never so happy am I as when I am munching and crunching upon an egg. (no, really though.)

How many do you eat per day? I love hard boiled eggs as a snack but I can see 3-4 of them being a meal. Or scrambled on toast.

#791 Lovelybonespook

Lovelybonespook

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 962 posts
  • LocationKentucky USA

Posted 13 October 2021 - 02:08 PM

Drink a shit ton of carbonated and caffeinated stuff. You're too wired and bloated to realize you're hungry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lol I like it. I can skip lunch if I sip on a crap ton of hot tea.

#792 Dornröschen

Dornröschen

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationHolzfällerhütte

Posted 13 October 2021 - 02:12 PM

Deep-rooted insecurities > hunger

HW: 129  CW: 110.8  GW: 100  UGW: 95 

#793 silenciobruno

silenciobruno

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 05:41 PM

i just like.... turn it off?
Idk to be honest I usually find as long as I don’t eat anything then I can quite easily go for most of the day without eating. Once I’ve eaten something it tends to be more difficult not to want to keep eating though. Also I find once my bmi is in the 13s I have really bad hypos if i go too long without food, so I have to be a bit careful, but I last as long as I can.
-Em- HW- 64kg LW- 30kg CW- 33.8 (74.4lbs) :(

#794 sleepyfaefae

sleepyfaefae

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationLocked in my own insanity

Posted 13 October 2021 - 05:43 PM

I don't... I eat at a higher intake and even then I feel miserable

height: 5'4/163cm

hw: 160

lw: 1o3

cw: 107-108

gw: 100

ugw: 95

db5071d190172bd5ceaa50f810fe425a.gif

#795 Foodgasm

Foodgasm

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:02 PM

agree. 

i was on extremely low restriction for months without bingeing. i just wasn't able to eat more at the time. it was hard enough to take in what i was having. 

eventually it landed me in hospital with blood pressure so low they weren't sure why i wasn't in a coma. and i was losing weight frighteningly fast, even for an anorexic wanting to lose weight i was scared. so yeah, 0/10 do not recommend. but mostly restricting that low for sustained periods isn't something you can control, its dictated by the ED.

My point exactly. You only lasted months before you were hospitalized and could have died. Without intervention, you would be dead eating so little.
  • restlessandconfused likes this

#796 Foodgasm

Foodgasm

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:09 PM

Define “a long time”. You ended up in treatment so your body must have deteriorated to the point you needed serious help. You wouldn’t last on 500 for long without eventually succumbing to eventually death in less than a year or so.

#797 restlessandconfused

restlessandconfused

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:48 PM

My point exactly. You only lasted months before you were hospitalized and could have died. Without intervention, you would be dead eating so little.

yeah i see your point. its not possible to keep up long term. the body is surprisingly good at keeping going but at the expense of health in many different ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: calories, food, restricting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users