I have the urge to be tube fed? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

I have the urge to be tube fed?

Tube feeding Ng tube Anorexia Fasting Nasogastric tube

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sserryslutt

sserryslutt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:36 AM

Okay so before someone goes off about how bad ng tubes are and how I don't want one, trust me my dudes, I know.

So I had a massive relapse with restriction that lasted around a year where I lost like 40kg and ended up not so good. Had a blood sugar of 2.0 so of course I ended up tubed. It was an awful, traumatic experience but the relief of not having to make the choice to eat/not to eat was nuts.

So I've had a 3 week IP admission plus psych admissions and I'm meant to be starting IOP really soon.

Had some life stressors and have gone downhill big time. All I want is to not have to eat ever again. I despise the actual process of chewing and swallowing. I find it exhausting and unnecessary but I can't function on no food/water. I have appointments, family, a house to run. There's no was in hell I could gett away with starving to non-existance.

So yeah I'm resisting the urge to buy a ng tube, insert it myself and go nil by mouth lmao.

Kind of just hoping I'm not the only one??
  • sicklysatisfied likes this

πŸ·πŸΌπŸ»πšŒπš–

πš‚πš†:πŸΌπŸΆπš”πš

π™·πš†:πŸΎπŸΊπš”πš

π™²πš†:𝟺𝟸.πŸΊπš”πš

π™Άπš†:πŸΊπŸΆπš”πš

π™Άπš†:πŸΉπŸΎπš”πš

πš„π™Άπš†:πŸΉπŸΌπš”πš

#2 baguettesniper

baguettesniper

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 01:32 PM

There was actually an episode of a tv show (Intervention I believe) where a lady had a tube that was put into her stomach (like, from the outside of the stomach's flesh into the actual organ) and she left it there for YEARS.

She'd use it to eat, and refused to get it taken out.

She was a former anorexic, so people kept hammering how "she's only doing that because it's the only way she'll eat" and she'd C/S at parties to seem "normal" (??) [disgusted the hell outta her family though]

I can't remember everything, but I'm pretty sure the opening where the tube was inserted was becoming lowkey infected from lack of proper cleaning/not being replaced in years...

I'll see if I can find it

• impetus.lily likes this

5'6

I'm in no rush.

BN
My final destination will not be my current location.

Previously the user >>Failure<<

#3 baguettesniper

baguettesniper

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 01:34 PM

Found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVV2oAyl9EQ

she left it in there for SIXTEEN YEARS

hoLY SHIT

• fitting and impetus.lily like this

5'6

I'm in no rush.

BN

#4 fitting

fitting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Locationa dream

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:57 AM

Found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVV2oAyl9EQ

hoLY SHIT

holy shit! i could only watch a few minutes of that, how eerie and horrific. hope she got the help she needed.

175 174 173 172 171 170 169 168 167 166 165 164 163 162 161 160 159 158 157 156

155 154 153 152 151 150 149 148 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137 136

135 134 133 132 131 130 129 128 127 126 125 124 123 122 121 120 119 118 117 116

115 114 113 112 111 110 109 108 107 106 105 104 103 102 101 100

accountability

#5 Thegymbum

Thegymbum

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4767 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:04 AM

I totally understand and can relate to this feeling. I’ve felt that way too. Interestingly, actually having a tube in me makes me absolutely fucking psychotic and panic stricken. Like, the worst torture ever.

Yet sometimes I just think about how much easier it would be to have one. Then I reflect on moments of repeatedly removing my tubes and gettin held down my security and sedated so they could place a new one lol.

Gah, the grass is always fucking greener on the other side.

Ok anyway back to your actual issue... please coordinate with a doctor if you’re going to have any sort of tube placed. Even if you know how to do it really well and have practice and experience; it’s still definitely possible for it to go very wrong... even the most experienced nurses make mistakes!! Using the tube without a chest X-ray to check placement can actually be life threatening.

There are definitely docs out there who are willing to help out in this sort of situation. Olease speak with a staff member at your treatment center or get a referral to a GI doc who can help with this!

Also without a doc prescribing it and insurance covering it, the equipment is expensive as hell... buying a pump out of pocket would be veeeerrrry pricey; and getting a supply or tube feed and regular replacements would break a lot of peoples pockets!
  • ChibiBunny likes this
H 5'7"
CW: 103lbs
LW: 72lbs
GW 2019: 95lbs
Ultimate: 88lbs

#6 Phenominalism

Phenominalism

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:44 AM

Found it!
https://www.youtube....h?v=hVV2oAyl9EQ

hoLY SHIT

Was it the exact tube? Like ummmm wouldn’t it have needed replaced. Sorry my brain goes in weird places
  • Thegymbum likes this
I don’t speak your kind of English. Sorry.

95_C2_BE90-_A122-4_DD8-9_FA3-5_D17043_F0

#7 baguettesniper

baguettesniper

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 04:05 PM

Yes exact same tube for the longest time (think she only changed it once or twice during the first few years but like the other 8 or 12 she kept it in)

5'6

I'm in no rush.

BN

#8 Chubbychops

Chubbychops

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 6662 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 05:04 PM

They've offered me an NG Tube outside of hospital environment (I declined) in the past.

I totally understand what you are saying though eating and having to make decisions on food I find so distressing also I wish I didn't have to eat either.

I do so in order to avoid being hospitalised and forced to gain weight. Until recent binge/purge hell I am currently experiencing my intake tended to be liquid.
5ft 9" / 175 cm

CBMI : 43 kg / 95 lb - BMI 14.0 (01/10/20)
Dressed

Highest weight I have been in years. Functioning so much better but struggling somewhat mentally and physically to accept. Learning a lot about why I am like this.

- Re-diagnosed Nov-17 - back in treatment (OP) after more than 20 years.

LBMI : Who cares - I was screwed, can't remember much, severe depression and just wanting to die, unable to maintain temperature - have no desire to return to that little hell hole.

LDBMI - Lowest Discharge BMI (after 2.5 months hospitalisation) : 11.9... and finally, after 9+ years, some form of 'recovery/insight' - just not the "Made for TV" version.

Chubbychops Accountability

#9 Chubbychops

Chubbychops

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 6662 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 05:15 PM

I totally understand and can relate to this feeling. I’ve felt that way too. Interestingly, actually having a tube in me makes me absolutely fucking psychotic and panic stricken. Like, the worst torture ever.
Yet sometimes I just think about how much easier it would be to have one. Then I reflect on moments of repeatedly removing my tubes and gettin held down my security and sedated so they could place a new one lol.
Gah, the grass is always fucking greener on the other side.
Ok anyway back to your actual issue... please coordinate with a doctor if you’re going to have any sort of tube placed. Even if you know how to do it really well and have practice and experience; it’s still definitely possible for it to go very wrong... even the most experienced nurses make mistakes!! Using the tube without a chest X-ray to check placement can actually be life threatening.
There are definitely docs out there who are willing to help out in this sort of situation. Olease speak with a staff member at your treatment center or get a referral to a GI doc who can help with this!
Also without a doc prescribing it and insurance covering it, the equipment is expensive as hell... buying a pump out of pocket would be veeeerrrry pricey; and getting a supply or tube feed and regular replacements would break a lot of peoples pockets!

I'm with you on the psychotic panic striken front with NG's - still have nightmares of being sedated, held down, screaming even biting someone trying to administer one with 5 of them holding me down. (Not my finest hour). Also used to rip them out. Mental torture.

The last time I had one was when I was in a coma so thank goodness I was unaware. Still tried to turn off dextrose line when they brought me out of it and apparently refused all oral intake (don't even remember so it just goes to show it must be hard wired in there somewhere!!). Vaguely aware of them offering a fortisip as well whilst in ICU which I also refused.
  • Thegymbum likes this
5ft 9" / 175 cm

CBMI : 43 kg / 95 lb - BMI 14.0 (01/10/20)
Dressed

Highest weight I have been in years. Functioning so much better but struggling somewhat mentally and physically to accept. Learning a lot about why I am like this.

- Re-diagnosed Nov-17 - back in treatment (OP) after more than 20 years.

LBMI : Who cares - I was screwed, can't remember much, severe depression and just wanting to die, unable to maintain temperature - have no desire to return to that little hell hole.

LDBMI - Lowest Discharge BMI (after 2.5 months hospitalisation) : 11.9... and finally, after 9+ years, some form of 'recovery/insight' - just not the "Made for TV" version.

Chubbychops Accountability

#10 sprintergirl

sprintergirl

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 8031 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 November 2019 - 05:07 PM

i totally feel you. they suck ASS but sometimes i've definitely missed it because it's easier than having to push myself

but at the same time i remember all the reasons it's a shitty time when you have one and decide against it

idk it's a tug of war for sure

• Thegymbum likes this

22 / scorpio / infj

5'9" / cbmi: 23.1

Spoiler

#11 dsprte4thin

dsprte4thin

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:16 PM

There was actually an episode of a tv show (Intervention I believe) where a lady had a tube that was put into her stomach (like, from the outside of the stomach's flesh into the actual organ) and she left it there for YEARS.

She'd use it to eat, and refused to get it taken out.

She was a former anorexic, so people kept hammering how "she's only doing that because it's the only way she'll eat" and she'd C/S at parties to seem "normal" (??) [disgusted the hell outta her family though]

I can't remember everything, but I'm pretty sure the opening where the tube was inserted was becoming lowkey infected from lack of proper cleaning/not being replaced in years...

I'll see if I can find it

I'm sure you found it by now :) Let me know if you did ;0)...I think I know the one you are talking about but can't remember the episode.

#12 allthatisleftofme

allthatisleftofme

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:40 PM

I feel like I could have written your post at various times in the past. When I've wanted to recover, but couldn't actually get myself to eat the food, I've wanted to have a tube to just make it easier.  You're definitely not alone.

Female * INFJ * 34 y.o.

CW: 90.0 lbs. (BMI 16.1)

HW: 124 lbs. (BMI 22.2)                                       It's hard to let go of the demons inside

LW: 83 lbs. (BMI 14.9)                                          When they were the ones holding you

GW: 83 lbs. (BMI 14.9)                                                    When no one else would

UGW: 77 lbs. (BMI 13.8)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tube feeding, Ng tube, Anorexia, Fasting, Nasogastric tube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users