How to not get depressed on a low calorie diet - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

How to not get depressed on a low calorie diet

Anorexia Eating disorders Life

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Angel wings

Angel wings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:50 PM

Anorexic

#2 calligraphyandhair

calligraphyandhair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:44 PM

Medication is the only thing that keeps me from being depressed when I’m restricting super low. Paxel works best for me and doesn’t make me gain weight.

If you can’t then I’d stay around 400...I get suicidal if I’m under 400 without medication. Luckily I have access to it.
  • extremelyfatigued likes this

#3 CatInDaHat

CatInDaHat

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2207 posts
  • LocationProbably crying behind a locked door

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:05 PM

Caffiene works as a mild antidepressant for me. My mother won't allow me to take prescription antidepressants because she's too fucking proud to admit that her daughter is suicidal.
  • rosiethesmall, little.j and dreamsynopsis like this

#4 Angel wings

Angel wings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:56 PM

How caffeine dose it take to feel ok
  • unicorntato likes this

#5 BoneDancer

BoneDancer

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1452 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:03 PM

Near constant distraction is what works best for me. Reading, dancing, yoga, writing, drawing, taking walks,listening to music, playing guitar, tumblr, IG, going down a YouTube hole...etc.
That having been said, I do usually try to eat low cal high volume when/if I am more down (blueberries recently have helped my mood & general demeanor a great deal, as well as my skin & hair) & I have found that a strict schedule does help.
  • hangry republican, cassiatopia and TramutizedHealing like this
"I only have one thing to do/ & that's To be the wave that I am/ & then Sink back into the ocean" ~ Fiona Apple, 'container'

#6 stonescold

stonescold

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3716 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:17 PM

Honestly caffeine and staying busy/I usually try to work a lot and see my friends more when I’m restricting bc I have to force myself to be friendly and shit during those situations
  • xGwen_Girlx likes this

#7 Salty_And_Sassy_Sarcasm

Salty_And_Sassy_Sarcasm

Advanced Warrior

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:08 PM

Near constant distraction is what works best for me. Reading, dancing, yoga, writing, drawing, taking walks,listening to music, playong guitar, tumblr, IG, going down a YouTube hole...etc.
That having been said, I do eat low cal high volume (strawberries & blueberries recently have helped my mood & general demeanor a great deal, as well as my skin & hair) & I have found that a strict schedule does help.

Yeah, basically just do what you love. I prefer to listen to music, because it's hard to focus on depressing thoughts when your blasting music through your headphones.
  • BoneDancer likes this
Female

My goals:
Able to count ribs
Able to wrap hand around elbow completely
Double digits
Thigh gap

Sassy, salty, and sarcastic with an appreciation for edginess
I have general anxiety, social anxiety, depression, and anorexia
I was forced to go to a skills group for anxiety/depression, but I don't plan on going to recovery for Ana anytime soon
just here for advice and to meet people struggling like me
Have a nice day and stay safe! 💜

#8 demonpuff

demonpuff

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:34 PM

Hmm... this one is a tricky question to answer, because I want to help, but I know it's hard to do things when you're depressed. However, I've been forcing myself to do these 200+ distractions in my accountability thread. It's not healthy 'cause it keeps me from eating, but there are a lot of self-love / having fun distractions on the list. I hope you can find some things to do that make you feel happy, instead of miserable. Depression sucks hardcore (diagnosed w/ major depression, so I know how bad it can really get).

Here is the list:

100+ DISTRACTIONS

Spoiler

Things may seem dismal now, but you want to reach a goal, right? When you make progress, that might help you to not feel so dumpy about it. Also, a multivitamin could help you physically feel better. Please do take care of yourself and if you get weak or shaky, have something that has low cals, but will get you out of that dizzy/shaky state (like broccoli--- lots of good nutrients and low cal... like 30 - 35 cal for a cup). <3 Be safe!

• aquaphor and Need.to.be.skinny like this

CW: 148.0

159 159 157 156 155 154 153 152 151 150

149 148 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140

139 138 137 136 135 134 133 132 131 130

129 128 127 126 125 124 123 122 121 120

119 118  116  115  114  113 112 111 110

109 108 107 106 105 104 103 102 101 100

99 98 97 96 95 94 93 92 91 90

#9 Guest_byebyebyebyebye_*

Guest_byebyebyebyebye_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:53 PM

Caffiene works as a mild antidepressant for me. My mother won't allow me to take prescription antidepressants because she's too fucking proud to admit that her daughter is suicidal.

Caffeine for me too, although I have to get the level just right, because otherwise it will cause chaos with my anxiety

#10 ChristinasFrozen88

ChristinasFrozen88

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:59 PM

Coffee.
Meds.
Distracting tasks.
Exercise.

#11 whalecrackers

whalecrackers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:47 PM

I will either practice doing my makeup since it's something that I can focus in on for an hour (or two if I am doing something more elaborate), or I will play video games with some of my own music on to "drown out" my thoughts of food/eating with multiple distractions at once.  Also exercising helps to bring my mood up; I like yoga classes because it helps me meditate and focus on my breathing/position more than feeling depressed or hungry.

195 190 185 180

175 170 165 160

155 150 145 140

135 130 125 120

115 110 105 100

:wub: 

CW: 155

#12 ocpd_bpd_ana

ocpd_bpd_ana

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:11 PM

Take a multivitamin, especially one with iron, b complex, and vitamin d. B complex helps energy that you'll be lacky, and low vitamin d can cause depression. That's what has helped with my depression, I take antidepressants too but those only help so much when you're deficient in something already.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
Starting Weight: 105.6
Goal Weight 1: 104
Goal Weight 2: 102
Goal Weight 3: 100
Goal Weight 4: 98
Goal Weight 5: 96
Ultimate Goal Weight 6: 94
1 Colored Heart = 1 Pound Lost

SW: 105.4 (Officially Starting 2/1/19)

HW: 108.6

GW1: 100 (BMI 16.9)

GW2: 95 (BMI 16.1)

UGW: 90 (BMI 15.2)

#13 sweetpea360

sweetpea360

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:13 PM

Doing things you love + spending time with friends/talking to people that care about you. Also coffee helps me stay happy. That's what helps me anyways. I still struggle with this tho it's rough.

• TramutizedHealing likes this
coot cat

#14 LoveJoyHopeCourageJustice

LoveJoyHopeCourageJustice

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:17 PM

Caffeine and having at least one close friend/loved one you can talk to who you trust not to push you to eat.

If temptation storms, or you fall upon the rocks of tribulation, look to the star: Call upon Mary!

If you are tossed by the waves of pride or ambition, detraction or envy, look to the star, call upon Mary.
If anger or avarice or the desires of the flesh dash against the ship of your soul, turn your eyes to Mary.
If troubled by the enormity of your crimes, ashamed of your guilty conscience, terrified by dread of the judgment,
you begin to sink into the gulf of sadness or the abyss of despair, think of Mary.
In dangers, in anguish, in doubt, think of Mary, call upon Mary. - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

They/them • 42 • Vegan • Doing the 'bodyfat percentage instead of weight' thing

22.5% 22% 21.5% 21% 20.5% 20% 19.5% 19% 18.5% 18% 17.5% 17% 16.5% 16%

gallery_1227469_64903_161325.jpgI want a body like this... and I have exec dysfunction. Wish me luck!!

NEW Accountability

#15 LoveJoyHopeCourageJustice

LoveJoyHopeCourageJustice

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:18 PM

I do eat low cal high volume (strawberries & blueberries recently have helped my mood & general demeanor a great deal, as well as my skin & hair) 

Strawberriiiieeees :wub:

If temptation storms, or you fall upon the rocks of tribulation, look to the star: Call upon Mary!

If you are tossed by the waves of pride or ambition, detraction or envy, look to the star, call upon Mary.
If anger or avarice or the desires of the flesh dash against the ship of your soul, turn your eyes to Mary.
If troubled by the enormity of your crimes, ashamed of your guilty conscience, terrified by dread of the judgment,
you begin to sink into the gulf of sadness or the abyss of despair, think of Mary.
In dangers, in anguish, in doubt, think of Mary, call upon Mary. - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

They/them • 42 • Vegan • Doing the 'bodyfat percentage instead of weight' thing

22.5% 22% 21.5% 21% 20.5% 20% 19.5% 19% 18.5% 18% 17.5% 17% 16.5% 16%

gallery_1227469_64903_161325.jpgI want a body like this... and I have exec dysfunction. Wish me luck!!

NEW Accountability

#16 BoneDancer

BoneDancer

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1452 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:12 PM

Strawberriiiieeees :wub:

I know!!! I love them! (Though a severe latex allergy made me have to eventually give them up, apparently if you have a latex allergy strawberries can eventually mess with you =(
"I only have one thing to do/ & that's To be the wave that I am/ & then Sink back into the ocean" ~ Fiona Apple, 'container'

#17 almond butter

almond butter

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2641 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:25 PM

you NEED to get outside, get some fresh air, talk to people etc. isolation always exacerbates the depression we already have from nutrient deficiencies.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

#18 DarkDescent

DarkDescent

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1387 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:32 PM

If you're struggling with depression in general, I don't really think there's much that can prevent a depressive slump during low restriction 
You'll have good days and bad days and there will be times that food or eating isn't even the thing causing you to feel depressed
Distractions are good but I think it's deeper than that for some 

#19 KatKat007

KatKat007

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:18 PM

Yep, that's the worst fucking thing. My mum's first sentence to me after I told her that I had just been to the emergency psych appointment because I couldn't stop crying was "don't tell about this to anyone, that you went there".

Could she be more embarrassed that the perfect daughter is not perfect. LIke for fucks sake.

#20 intotheshadows

intotheshadows

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Locationlost in my head

Posted 28 June 2019 - 04:37 PM

High dose of a strong SNRI antidepressant and also med dose of pregabalin. And some diazepam too if I get too badly suicidal. Lol I rattle if I jump up and down I swear... and am basically a legal Class C stoner
please just let me slip away into nothingness... hanging on for you, fam, but it's hurting so bad... I was never meant for this world

>>> just a gal trying to make life controlled by anorexia a bit more bearable <<<

Warning: dark humour and sarcasm

HW, CW, GW etc on my profile page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Anorexia, Eating disorders, Life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users