'Functional' Anorexia - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

'Functional' Anorexia

anorexia ana ed

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 sans-merci

sans-merci

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1747 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:38 PM

Do you believe it's possible?

My treatment team discharged me for being unable to engage in treatment, they talked a lot about 'functional' anorexia -- learning to control your ED instead of letting it control you so that you can balance it with a normal life.

I feel like this is my only option right now. Can anyone share their experiences? How did you go about it? What do you think is the lowest maintainable BMI? Mine is 14.7 (which isn't that low), I don't want to gain but I'm tired of feeling this shitty.

Can anyone share their experiences? How did you go about it?

• Morgan le Fou, itsgonnabackfire, littlelightweight and 8 others like this

161cm

HW: 115lb (52kg)
CW/LW: 84lb (38kg)

🍠🍠 I PREACH ABOUT HIGH RESTRICTION AND SWEET POTATOES 🍠 🍠

GW: 103 - 99 - 93 - 88 - 82 - 79 - 75 - 70 - 67

#2 Traceybee

Traceybee

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:57 PM

I remain ‘functional’ due to my career and children. I find it very hard to maintain at times especially school holidays when the kids are off.

I don’t touch breakfast, which isn’t unusual for me because I have never had breakfast in over 20yrs.

I make sure I eat with the family, it may be the same as what I’ve cooked for them but slightly different, eg. Instead of pasta and rice I have tons of salad, instead of lots of meat and potatoes I have tons of other veggies. So I can keep my cals down low without too many questions asked.

I generally bounce between 95-105lbs, and can maintain on 900-1100 cals even with doing average 20-25k steps a day.

It’s not easy but I have had to find my own balance so I don’t loose my kids or career. Without those two things then I would not have a reason to try and control it.

Find something worth fighting for, it will make it easier x
  • SleepWalker, skinnyDior, thinby and 37 others like this

#3 Magic_Coconut

Magic_Coconut

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:58 PM

Functional ana is all about finding exactly what you need to keep yourself stable. As in stop losing weight and find your TDEE to maintain.
  • the.sinner, itsybitsyme, shelizzy and 6 others like this

#4 laurensdaily

laurensdaily

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:04 PM

My therapist calls what I have "high functioning anorexia"

The way she puts it, if I am doing well in school, being social, have a job, and even am succeeding/achieving with so much of my mental energy going to an eating disorder, Imagine where I would be if i had never had an ed. 

Basically she said im fatigued and my brain isnt its best when im really hungry... so if I got better, no matter how my life is right now, it would improve by freeing up the mental space and giving me more energy...

Makes me sad because I was on track to be a doctor by 25 and now I am probably gonna get there at 27... I cry when I think about all the potential and what I could lose if this were to get worse or never really fully improved  

(I eat 700-1300 a day and work out 1-2 times a day so I can burn half of the calories I ate)

• Morgan le Fou, thinby, Anamia. and 19 others like this

Height 5' 7

High school (ana) wt: 113

Current college wt: 129

Goal: 110

Kill Me Please

No really

Ii want to die

PLease

#5 Yasmeen

Yasmeen

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1038 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:48 PM

Functional ana is all about finding exactly what you need to keep yourself stable. As in stop losing weight and find your TDEE to maintain.

Dis sounds good but I cant maintain until I look emaciated!!!! :P

• lavender*, miss_world and whyselectgender like this

#6 Mechanical_Doll

Mechanical_Doll

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7774 posts
  • Locationin a dead rose garden.

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:12 PM

Im one. And it possible. The goal is never to be rid of anything. That a misconception on recovery I think. But learning to control it to the point where it not ruining your life or others around you or driving you to a brink of insanity and no return.

Keeping the balance of the two energy currencies so they can run together. Take practice but doable. And keeping in reality helps too.

• mirrors.lies, Anamia., OddJellyBean and 10 others like this

#7 ❇~TinkerBell~❇

❇~TinkerBell~❇

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • LocationPixie Hollow, Neverland

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:09 AM

Definitely possible, with the right amount of mental discipline... but challenging.

I'm a post-grad in a medical field, and full-blown anorexia + bulemia stole years of my life before I finally made it to this point.

I'm now working, still pursuing higher academics... BUT STILL OBSESSED with weight and eating...
I'm able to maintain some control
But it's a daily struggle

I don't purge anymore, I don't abuse lax
And I don't over-restrict anymore
And I don't use drugs

My current daily cal intake is 1000
Plus 1-2 fast days per week

I still binge occasionally and go batshit crazy
But I keep going and stay focused

Now I'm planning to up my daily cal intake slowly from 1000 - 1500...
But in order to do so without gaining I need to incorporate a proper work out routine with a good balance of weight training and HIIT

I've already started a work out plan... But I need to build more strength, stamina and muscle mass to take it further...

I realize I've chosen a career path that won't be successful if I continue like this... My body needs more from me

And I'm trying day by day to fight what's inside of me to be the best version of myself

The obsession I suffer with my weight and eating habits is like a demon that has never left me...

My obsessions and fixations still affect my focus, concentration and potential... But I'm fighting

Now I'm taking it one step at a time

So please know... You can take back control of your ED
Make a plan, write that plan in a notebook, stick to your plan.
You won't change overnight, but every step counts
Good luck
  • chocowaifu, 123, freakforthin1 and 11 others like this

#8 Mireina

Mireina

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:36 AM

My lowest BMI was 16.8 and I think I was super high functioning (the best GPA in school, doing a fuckton of extracurricurals, having actual friends, etc) and now that I am „recovered” I suddenly lost motivation to be the best, stopped caring about friends and grades. Like, I need to be as thin as I can and I must constantly be „doing something” to become better at everything. I am an all-or-nothing person and I can’t live without anorexia

I think that the key is good routine, lots of back-up plans and just getting used to it really. Your BMI is pretty low and it increases the risk for various illnesses, which why in their 30s, anorexics start dropping like flies

I think that the best way is to eat whole foods, workout and build actual muscle so you look super skinny and lean, but your weight is higher than it looks
  • Morgan le Fou, jackalyvia, itsgonnabackfire and 11 others like this

18 years old, you can call me Beton

diagnosed AN

recovery/starting weight: ~58kg | current weight: 48.5kg | goal weight: 47-48kg | well, actual goal weight: 38-40kg | 163cm

#9 greennailpolish

greennailpolish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:11 PM

My lowest BMI was 16.8 and I think I was super high functioning (the best GPA in school, doing a fuckton of extracurricurals, having actual friends, etc) and now that I am „recovered” I suddenly lost motivation to be the best, stopped caring about friends and grades. Like, I need to be as thin as I can and I must constantly be „doing something” to become better at everything. I am an all-or-nothing person and I can’t live without anorexia

I think that the key is good routine, lots of back-up plans and just getting used to it really. Your BMI is pretty low and it increases the risk for various illnesses, which why in their 30s, anorexics start dropping like flies

I think that the best way is to eat whole foods, workout and build actual muscle so you look super skinny and lean, but your weight is higher than it looks

#10 Katarina Ballerina

Katarina Ballerina

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1563 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:25 PM

i feel like it greatly depends on what mental state your anorexia is derived from. Meaning, if it stems and plays on depression, anxiety, moodiness, lethargy, etc then youre more of a non functioning anorexic, but if you have more of a perfectionisn, ocd, insomniatic, hyper energy, then youre a “functioning” anorexic. Ive been both and thats my only thought that maybe thats the difference
  • mirrors.lies, Morgan le Fou, skinnyDior and 19 others like this

Daily Fitness Accountability

Take a breath and let the rest come easy

#11 potassium

potassium

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 02:11 PM

i dont have any advice, just popping in to say that a bmi under 15 is in fact very low. best of luck to you.

• provalonely, shadow_economy, PrincessAbby and 10 others like this

28, 5'4

weight 95.3 bmi 16.36 (3/31/19)

tumblr_p86o47H9OM1wluselo1_1280.png

#12 Achelois

Achelois

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:22 PM

My treatment team discharged me for being unable to engage in treatment,

Stay in treatment but find someplace else.

• Gbz123, sicklysatisfied, Nurse Disrespect and 1 other like this

#13 Beckyroxs26

Beckyroxs26

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 05:26 AM

Honestly go to a different treatment center I was inpatient a few weeks ago and the doctor doesnt allow you to sign out unless your at a healthy bmi. Having a bmi in the 15s is pretty low mine is 17.8 my ultimate goal is 16.2 right now which isn't dangerous to me.
  • Gbz123 likes this

#14 Nisthine

Nisthine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:17 AM

I am at my least depressed, least self loathing, least hopeless when I am restricting.

I am at my most hopeless, most unsatisfied, most unfulfilled when I am eating myself to oblivion.

I am also a lawyer.

I do well at my job.

I believe it is possible.

• mirrors.lies, 123, girlLostintheForest and 14 others like this

weight.png

#15 becomingskinny

becomingskinny

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1822 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:28 AM

i feel like that's me and used to be me as well when i was doing pretty shitty. it makes it easier to cope with almost? idk. 

what do you do when everyone thinks you're recovered (you're not) and you've gained weight (too much) and you're at a healthy weight (not skinny enough to have an eating disorder anymore), but every waking thought is of food and calories and your body?

relapsing

h: 5"7 / 171cm cw: ~53.3kg / 117lbs (14 feb 2020) bmi: 18.23

hw: ~56kg / 123lbs

lw: ~41kg / 91lbs

gw1: 52kg / 114lbs

gw2: 50kg / 110lbs

gw3: 47kg / 103lbs

gw4: 45kg / 99lbs

goal weight: 43kg / 95lbs

unrealistic ugw: 40kg / 88lbs

my blog/accountability

last binge: 11 march 2020

last cut: 15 september 2019

#16 thin enough to win

thin enough to win

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationHidden

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:46 AM

I don't believe anyone that's losing can function normally.

I'm at a loss on how to function 100%.

I'm too tired to do anything.

• garbagefan, edbitxh and ambrosial16 like this

[TW] The Harsh Reality of Anorexia [TW]

Anorexia is no joke, it is not a game, it is not a diet, it is not fun, it won't make you happy, it won't make you pretty but it will kill you.

#17 Lizzie88

Lizzie88

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1319 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:58 AM

It is possible to be high functioning, but probably not with a bmi as low as yours.

I held down a highly demanding job while at bmi 17. I maintained when I got to that weight as going lower would have left me too exhausted.

I know a lot of people with kids and jobs that maintain around 16-18. I don’t know if it would be possible below 16.
  • mirrors.lies likes this

#18 Ez_

Ez_

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:05 PM

Honestly, I think it's about finding the things that the ED can't touch, the things that are more important than feeling in control or being thin or whatever it is that drives this madness for you.

Maybe it's a relationship

Maybe it's a career or life goal

Maybe it's your kids or your family

Maybe it's something as simple as you can't reach a point where you have to stop exercising or else you won't be able to reach that new goal in yoga or dance or boxing.

Find the things that are more important. They don't have to heal you, but they can help you judge when you've crossed the line to too sick. That'll keep you functioning.

• mirrors.lies, OddJellyBean, drowsyrabbit and 8 others like this

~ Is there pity for the plain girl? ~

tumblr_p318xcXO4n1v1neoko1_500.gif

weight.png

Spoiler

#19 Watcherofthemind

Watcherofthemind

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:36 PM

I am a straight a student and try to maintain this image of being ok and successful; however, my ed literally dictates my every move. So I struggle hard to keep up because I’m usually exercising, counting caloiries, watching ed related shows, listening to ed podcasts that I lose a lot of time that could be devoted to my school work.
Sometimes I think about what my life would be like if I didn’t have an ed. Probably way more productive.

#20 MorbidEmpress

MorbidEmpress

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 2177 posts
  • Locationthe abyss

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:03 PM

I was doing it for a while while maintaining a BMi of about 16. Was counting calories and stuff butt I was healthy and functional. Sadly my bdd feelings of inadequacy, depression over being an adult caught up with me and I ended up restricting and now I'm doing low restricting days that make me very much not functional especially when combined with being to depressed to do things.
<p>Height 5'8" cw 102.8lbs gw98lbs ugw 85lbs

Accountability
https://www.myproana...-quest-4-85lbs/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anorexia, ana, ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users