'Functional' Anorexia - Page 2 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

'Functional' Anorexia

anorexia ana ed

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#21 anorexicduty

anorexicduty

Queen of Hearts

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23354 posts
  • LocationMaryland, US

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:42 PM

It depends on the BMI that you're trying to maintain or lose to achieve.

Your BMI is low.   I'm at 16.5 and I feel like a blob.

I don't understand how some individuals here can have a BMI of 10 or 11? 

I would die if I were to lose that much weight.  

Sure, there are lots of anorexics that are high functioning.

They usually have assistance, like cocaine to overcome the extreme fatigue.

That's the most difficult consequence to manage.  Being incapable of moving is common. 

Being wiped out prevents me from being high functioning.

• Melly79 likes this

Ht.: 5'7" | SW:147 lbs.| CW::125.4 lbs.| BMI: 19.6  
(6-26-2020)

Trump Still Sucks

#22 whateverwhocares

whateverwhocares

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:13 PM

it doesn't matter if you're a functional anorexic or not, the disease will eventually kill you.. it will just kill you a little slower. or maybe you'll die of suicide cuz i couldn't imagine feeling this way for forever

tumblr_inline_njeytlur9g1rtsoy4.gif

#23 shadow_economy

shadow_economy

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1034 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 October 2018 - 10:33 PM

I can function in the 16s and high 15s but my life fucking sucks 

an alien from the internet 

spent 2019 in treatment, was doing well but shit happened 

documenting another relapse

trans/man/bi

167cm
LW 43 / 95 / BMI 15.4
HW 61 / BMI 21.8 // SW (joined MPA) 57kg / BMI 20.4

CW 52.4 (post-treatment) 

gw1 53 | BMI 19

gw2 51.6 | BMI 18.2

gw3 50 | 17.9

gw4 47.4 | 17

old blog

#24 skinproxy

skinproxy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:15 AM

I feel like I function better when I'm restricting than any other time... maybe it has to do with feeling in control. 

• drowsyrabbit, Thinner092, LeaThroughTheLookingGlass and 2 others like this

height: 5'6" / 171 cm

start weight: 140 

lowest weight: 110 

current weight: 123.2 

goal weight: 105

ultimate goal weight: ?

eating 600 cals/day or less

BMI: 18.9

tumblr_inline_mg5oy6uUwr1qbnmhg.giftumblr_inline_mg5oyah8H81qbnmhg.gif

140 139 138 137 136

135 134 133 132 131

130 129 128 127  126

125 124 123 122 121

120 119 118 117 116

115   114 113 112

110 109 108 107

106 105

#25 103Chickpea

103Chickpea

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:34 AM

At times I have been functional. When I was younger and first developed an ED, I was working full time and I was an honor student at university. Always in the top percent, I was on the dean's list every semester, at the very least. Lately I cannot function at all with my ED. Can barely get myself out the door let alone get straight A's or hold down a job lmao.

• Morgan le Fou and shadow_economy like this

"Only a little more,

only a few more days
sinless, foodless"

#26 madelinebee

madelinebee

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 30 October 2018 - 08:00 AM

Honestly, I think it's about finding the things that the ED can't touch, the things that are more important than feeling in control or being thin or whatever it is that drives this madness for you.

Maybe it's a relationship
Maybe it's a career or life goal
Maybe it's your kids or your family
Maybe it's something as simple as you can't reach a point where you have to stop exercising or else you won't be able to reach that new goal in yoga or dance or boxing.

Find the things that are more important. They don't have to heal you, but they can help you judge when you've crossed the line to too sick. That'll keep you functioning.

tear jerker....thats what keeps me going :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • frailkitten, freakforthin1, littlefruitybite and 1 other like this

5'4

118 lbs

#27 tarobao

tarobao

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationCanada ๐Ÿ

Posted 11 November 2018 - 11:49 AM

My therapist calls what I have "high functioning anorexia"

The way she puts it, if I am doing well in school, being social, have a job, and even am succeeding/achieving with so much of my mental energy going to an eating disorder, Imagine where I would be if i had never had an ed. 

Basically she said im fatigued and my brain isnt its best when im really hungry... so if I got better, no matter how my life is right now, it would improve by freeing up the mental space and giving me more energy...

Makes me sad because I was on track to be a doctor by 25 and now I am probably gonna get there at 27... I cry when I think about all the potential and what I could lose if this were to get worse or never really fully improved  

(I eat 700-1300 a day and work out 1-2 times a day so I can burn half of the calories I ate)

If this makes you feel any better I'm kinda the same, I want to be a psychologist (ironic i know LOL) but I'm probably gonna be 30 when I graduate, I'm only 21 so.. theres that...

#28 ChristinasFrozen88

ChristinasFrozen88

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 12:38 PM

it doesn't matter if you're a functional anorexic or not, the disease will eventually kill you.. it will just kill you a little slower. or maybe you'll die of suicide cuz i couldn't imagine feeling this way for forever

Everyone is going to die.
Nobody gets out of here alive.
  • lambchomp likes this

#29 KayD

KayD

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1101 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:20 PM

As quoted from Xfiles:
โ€œI need to believe.โ€

I have become comfortably numb

#30 โ˜“anax

โ˜“anax

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Location๐“‰๐“‡๐’ถ๐“…๐“…๐‘’๐’น ๐’ท๐‘’๐“‰๐“Œ๐‘’๐‘’๐“ƒ ๐’ป๐‘œ๐“Š๐“‡ ๐“Œ๐’ถ๐“๐“๐“ˆ หŠ-

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:57 PM

It has a lot to do with motivation and determination to become successful in life.

Some people are also functional out of fear of failure, so they keep on going.

It's also a way in which you develop your way of controlling your body, into a way of controlling everything around you and you want not only your calorie intake or your body to be perfect, but also your grades/eucation/work and all the rest. There comes a time when you're so used to your ED that you don't mind living with it, as long as everything else in your life is on track. You start using it as something that can help you make plans and follow them strictly, and yes, it may be stressful, but it's in my opinion the best part of my life.

I used to be like that in high school. Straight A student, making plans and actually sticking to them, exercising on a daily basis, keeping track on not only what I eat, but what I do outside of my ED, but once I was accepted into university, my life turned upside down. I allowed my ED to take control of me once again and I simply... let myself go. I am currently at rock bottom, even below that, I've never been so low in my life. How did I turn from a high functioning achiever to a low life prisoner of my own ED? Well, major depression.

I thought the term "crippling depression" was just an old dank meme, until I actually got to experience it. It didn't happen all of the sudden, mind you. I was dealing with depression probably alongside my ED, but never knew it would become so bad until the second year of university when the material I studied became harder for me to memorize and low restriction made me more fatigued and tired, which resulted in oversleeping, lack of motivation, procrastination (the worst that could ever happen), skipping lectures, and thus resulting in failed exams and even more lack of motivation, to the point where I don't even feel motivated to step out of bed, because I don't see any point of doing anything. I've never been so low in my life. I read all those comments of people being successful at what they're doing. which makes me question What am I doing with my life then?! and this adds even more to my depression. Why can't I bring that past me back? I would do literally anything to have that motivation again and work on my education, not just my body. Now I feel even more worthless and useless.

• Freakystruggles and just0peachy like this
                                                                  -; แดแด‡สŸแด€ษดแด„สœแดสŸส                           
                                                                     /หˆmษ›lษ™nkษ™li/                         
                                                                     โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€                         
                                                                     noun                                 
                                                                  โœŽ ;; a feeling of pensive sadness,     
                                                                     typically with no obvious cause.     
                                                                     "an air of melancholy surrounded him"

tumblr_mb4jneY2Md1qjto33o1_400.gif

22 | male โ™‚ | 168cm / 5'6''

HW : 141 lbs

CW : 112 lbs

GW : 100 lbs

GW ยฒ : 90 lbs

UGW : 80 lbs

#31 ChristinasFrozen88

ChristinasFrozen88

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:58 PM

You can function with balance
  • Thinner092 likes this

#32 Heisenbฯ…rg

Heisenbฯ…rg

Lord Heisenburg

• Accountability access
  • 63300 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 11 November 2018 - 02:24 PM

yea

I high restrict and I'm functional

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
  • zerozerozero likes this

NEW ACCOUNTABILITY

HEISENBURGS DUMPING EVERYTHING HERE!!

Send me hate:

https://heis94.sarahah.com/

HIIIII

I'LL BE MORE ACTIVE ON EDC

FIND ME THERE AND LET'S BE FRANDS

LINK : http://eatingdisordercentral.com

ALSO

I have a youtube channel too!

subscribe if ya want

(going to upload videos soon!.. more ed content and random shit)

https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

"Heis,
You are you,
Perfection and goals,
How I long to see you be whole" - S'mores

#33 Skynny23

Skynny23

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 November 2018 - 05:51 PM

I can function alright at bmi 13, any lower and I struggle

"The only person standing in your way is you"

You can either be the sickness in your life or you can be the cure

Want to binge? Yesterday you promised that there would be no more excuses....

"What the mind believes, the body achieves"

#34 zerozerozero

zerozerozero

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:38 PM

my lowest bmi was around 14.8/15 and i was still functional. i'm still a student so i kinda have to be. i've always kept good grades, did all my homework, cleaned and cooked for my family. i keep up a social life, to keep at my extra curriculars, to exercise, to study etc. people who've found out about my ed and other mental health issues are always really surprised because i live my life as it don't usually. the lowest bmi that i could maintain really without sacrificing my routines would prolly be 15.5, at my lowest it was a bit much to walk to and from school as well as everything else. it's a bit stressful and i'm always tired but my anxiety keeps me working all the time so i manage (w only a couple of breakdowns a month ahahah)
  • Anamia. likes this
5'4<p>

#35 zerozerozero

zerozerozero

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:41 PM

yea

I high restrict and I'm functional

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

i high restrict too and i think that's kinda key for me. i can't stay up all night to study if i'm fasting, it's just not feasible for me
5'4<p>

#36 Heisenbฯ…rg

Heisenbฯ…rg

Lord Heisenburg

• Accountability access
  • 63300 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:56 PM

i high restrict too and i think that's kinda key for me. i can't stay up all night to study if i'm fasting, it's just not feasible for me

same here 

it makes dealing with this ED a lot easier

NEW ACCOUNTABILITY

HEISENBURGS DUMPING EVERYTHING HERE!!

Send me hate:

https://heis94.sarahah.com/

HIIIII

I'LL BE MORE ACTIVE ON EDC

FIND ME THERE AND LET'S BE FRANDS

LINK : http://eatingdisordercentral.com

ALSO

I have a youtube channel too!

subscribe if ya want

(going to upload videos soon!.. more ed content and random shit)

https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

"Heis,
You are you,
Perfection and goals,
How I long to see you be whole" - S'mores

#37 Starlight11333

Starlight11333

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 07:10 PM

It really depends on what you consider to be functional and how much ED behaviours interfere with your daily life. 

As someone who has tried to be a "functional anorexic" around this weight, it is possible to live out in the community

and maintain a certain quality of life working and doing studies, but it does begin to take to take its toll. It's very difficult to

maintain that weight and get adequate nutrition for brain function. In the end, you will make your own decision, but I would

recommend finding another treatment team if necessary and going in for the long haul of pursuing full recovery, at least to

the point can nourish yourself enough for long term functioning. 

#38 Blue_Angel80

Blue_Angel80

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 07:34 PM

I'm considered a "functional anorexic" I've been suffering 24 years but I have 3 children 2 step children, a husband, 2 degrees and currently studying post grad law. But, my bmi is about 16, I can't eat normally with my family and I constantly berate myself for not being "present" as I'm stuck in this illness.

To the outside world I'm successful, high achieving, academic etc. To my loved ones I'm broken, ill and desperate. The only reason I don't give in is my family.

The outside world sees me as functional, my family sees me as ill. It's q delicate balancing act which I'm not winning
  • Purple-Skeleton likes this
Starting weight 56kg height 160cm BMI 22.2
Current weight 41.1kg BMI 16
GW1 43kg bmi 17
GW2 40KG bmi 15.8
UGW 38KG bmp 15

#39 twoslowdancers

twoslowdancers

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:54 PM

the need to stay 'functional' is what stops me from spiralling back into the worst of my ED

I can't get so sick that I can't function, because I'm studying and need to pass so that I can get away from my parents for good. that's literally it. I have to keep going because I can't go back
  • sweetzeros likes this
~ I need the darkness someone please cut the lights ~

#40 teaislife12

teaislife12

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:12 PM

My therapist calls what I have "high functioning anorexia"

The way she puts it, if I am doing well in school, being social, have a job, and even am succeeding/achieving with so much of my mental energy going to an eating disorder, Imagine where I would be if i had never had an ed. 

Basically she said im fatigued and my brain isnt its best when im really hungry... so if I got better, no matter how my life is right now, it would improve by freeing up the mental space and giving me more energy...

Makes me sad because I was on track to be a doctor by 25 and now I am probably gonna get there at 27... I cry when I think about all the potential and what I could lose if this were to get worse or never really fully improved  

(I eat 700-1300 a day and work out 1-2 times a day so I can burn half of the calories I ate)

Omgggg this is me
8 years but still fighting! :)  :)  :)
Height: 5'4
HW: 136lb

CW: 97lb
GW 1: 95lb
GW 2: 90lb
GW 3: 85lb
UGW: 80lb
LW: 73.8

gained to 115 FUCK  :(
GW: 110