'Functional' Anorexia - Page 6 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

'Functional' Anorexia

anorexia ana ed

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 anorexicduty

anorexicduty

Queen of Hearts

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23354 posts
  • LocationMaryland, US

Posted 09 January 2020 - 11:36 AM

Being a functional anorexic isn't a simple task.  That takes a will power so strong that it can make you conquer impossible feats every day. I think mothers would be the most likely candidates. 

I'm not functional b/d I restrict 24/7 which leaves me with no motivation or energy.  So I do everything slowly, very slowly.   I can't work b/c I can't stand up that long.  I having anxiety attacks already from the zone I'm in. I'm gonna break into the 16's soon.  Yay   

All you can do is try.  I could work if my employer didn't mind me bringing things to work with me.

Like my own food water and the like.

It's possible to function with anorexia but how long is the question.

Karen Carpenter had her singing career but the Eating Disorder started in 1976 and it killed her by February 1983.  She appeared to be fully functional but she had to nap between shows and all the time she wasn't on stage. Everyone knew she was in deep trouble but they couldn't help her or stop her.

Ht.: 5'7" | SW:147 lbs.| CW::125.4 lbs.| BMI: 19.6  
(6-26-2020)

Trump Still Sucks

#102 aneles

aneles

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1799 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:06 PM

I remain ‘functional’ due to my career and children. I find it very hard to maintain at times especially school holidays when the kids are off.

I don’t touch breakfast, which isn’t unusual for me because I have never had breakfast in over 20yrs.

I make sure I eat with the family, it may be the same as what I’ve cooked for them but slightly different, eg. Instead of pasta and rice I have tons of salad, instead of lots of meat and potatoes I have tons of other veggies. So I can keep my cals down low without too many questions asked.

I generally bounce between 95-105lbs, and can maintain on 900-1100 cals even with doing average 20-25k steps a day.

It’s not easy but I have had to find my own balance so I don’t loose my kids or career. Without those two things then I would not have a reason to try and control it.

Find something worth fighting for, it will make it easier x

Do you have fear of triggering your kids with how small you are?

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

let me stay sad please because when i am happy i eat too much

#103 nonetheless98

nonetheless98

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 03:42 PM

Yeah, definitely possible. I'm high functioning. I can maintain my life outside my ED pretty well, although when I'm really deep into it I think about it almost all the time. Nobody ever knows that though, I keep it hidden pretty well. I know exactly how much I have to eat to not worry anyone and keep myself looking generally healthy while still losing weight. I still have good relationships with everyone in my life, maintain my social life, I graduated with a degree, keep up with my hobbies etc. I think I'm doing a pretty good job at balancing it all. 

You just have to know your body and your thought patterns well.

• greenoolong likes this

CW: 50kg

SW: 66kg

GW: 50kg✔️

UGW: 45kg

UK  🌸 155cm 🌸 Anorexia - Restricting type 

giphy.gif

#104 trailrunner2212

trailrunner2212

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 03:50 PM

As an adult? It can be done, but you have to be disciplined enough to not slip deeply into bad an old habits. I managed to maintain a functional life in the high 16’s for a few years. When I went below that, that is a relapse, I began to have problems. I was able to pull out of that because my career was slipping, my relationship was slipping, and everything around me was falling apart. I had to choose between everything else and the disorder.

When the disordered part of me figured out that I could continue on with some semblance of “control “and live a somewhat normal life, the stress began to fade away.

Have a relapse sense? Absolutely. I’m on falling end of a relapse, now. But I’ve managed to stay healthy, stay out of the hospital, and salvage Wotless life of my family relationships and love life.

#105 Pontormo

Pontormo

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 05:07 PM

As long as I keep myself in check, I am actually probably more functional than when I am not engaging in ED behaviors. I think it’s because of the fact that it occupies so much of my brain and therefore doesn’t give me room to get upset over absolutely everything. It kind of works as a coping mechanism for me and overrides all my other mental illnesses.
  • greenoolong likes this

4'11"

HW: 115lbs

LW:72lbs

CW: 109lbs

GW: 85lbs

#106 shannie

shannie

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1393 posts
  • LocationDown South

Posted 28 August 2020 - 05:14 PM

Sure, as long as you work hard to not go to far. I work a full time job, take care of my elderly parents, I’m a mom, I workout and run a household.

There have been times in the past at extremely low weights that I’ve been barely functional...like I could still do chores around the house and go shopping but I was mentally very, very unstable. I can never let myself get that low again no matter how much I want it.

Right now my weight’s not very low, so I can still manage life.
xo
  • Purple-Skeleton likes this
Ht. 5'3"
CW 89
BMI 15.8

LW 78
GW ???

#107 rcanina

rcanina

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1186 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 06:01 PM

semi-functional

#108 EarlGray

EarlGray

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:58 AM

my lowest bmi was around 14.8/15 and i was still functional. i'm still a student so i kinda have to be. i've always kept good grades, did all my homework, cleaned and cooked for my family. i keep up a social life, to keep at my extra curriculars, to exercise, to study etc. people who've found out about my ed and other mental health issues are always really surprised because i live my life as it don't usually. the lowest bmi that i could maintain really without sacrificing my routines would prolly be 15.5, at my lowest it was a bit much to walk to and from school as well as everything else. it's a bit stressful and i'm always tired but my anxiety keeps me working all the time so i manage (w only a couple of breakdowns a month ahahah)

I am driven in this way too! Keep going no matter what, because my goals in life are not solely about how thin I can get- but about how thin I can be while maintaining a good work ethic, being there for family, making art, and so on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anorexia, ana, ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users