help with laxative recovery/edema? - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 amy234

amy234

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:42 PM

I’m 19 years old and currently take 8 laxatives (dulcolax) a day. I also drink at least two cups of coffee and have managed to only have one meal a day (a protein shake) in the morning. I desperately want to get off these laxatives but i don’t want to gain weight and was wondering if anyone could tell me about their experience with edema and how to reduce it. I also would appreciate if anyone has any recommendations for natural laxatives and how i should ease off the dulcolax...or if i should go cold turkey. Please help :(

#2 anorexicduty

anorexicduty

Queen of Hearts

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23354 posts
  • LocationMaryland, US

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:51 PM

You have to watch the video in my signature. "Complications of Anorexia & Bulimia"

The medical director of Denver Acute explains in detail why we get edema from stopping laxatives.

Also what meds to prescribe to stop the edema. It's probably Spironolactone.

It counters the aldosterone our bodies release when we stop purging and / or laxatives.

It's long but it's the best  video on Eating Disorders I've ever watched.

Laxatives cause a shit load of damage to your GI tract.

The video is a portion of Grand Rounds at their medical facility.

If you know what that means.

• Bluebells, Klaralisa, Old Guy and 1 other like this

Ht.: 5'7" | SW:147 lbs.| CW::125.4 lbs.| BMI: 19.6  
(6-26-2020)

Trump Still Sucks

#3 ALTerNut

ALTerNut

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationTree

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:44 PM

I’m 19 years old and currently take 8 laxatives (dulcolax) a day. I also drink at least two cups of coffee and have managed to only have one meal a day (a protein shake) in the morning. I desperately want to get off these laxatives but i don’t want to gain weight and was wondering if anyone could tell me about their experience with edema and how to reduce it. I also would appreciate if anyone has any recommendations for natural laxatives and how i should ease off the dulcolax...or if i should go cold turkey. Please help :(

How long have you been taking 8 lax a day for?

Tired of Bulimia.

#4 anorexicduty

anorexicduty

Queen of Hearts

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23354 posts
  • LocationMaryland, US

Posted 30 September 2018 - 11:43 AM

How's the edema going?  Are you still experiencing edema? Like I stated in my original post bulimics stopping purging are hit with edema really badly.  I think the number was like 15 lbs. worth of edema.

Ht.: 5'7" | SW:147 lbs.| CW::125.4 lbs.| BMI: 19.6  
(6-26-2020)

Trump Still Sucks

#5 Mitsy

Mitsy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 05:48 PM

1.fiber

.  Best option is food sources like leafy greans, vegtables, fruit, whole grains(like oats, quinoa,ect...) beans/lentils, nuts, seeds

. Second option is fiber suplements. These can come in pills or powders you mix with liquid or food. I add 1tablespoon of garden of life prebiotic fiber(soluble fiber) to my protein shake and take psyllium husk(insouluble fiber) 

2.drink water. Your stool needs moister. Also itll keep you hydrated which is good. Side note you may want to add electrolytes since purging via vomiting or laxitives depletes  electrolytes. I recomend Nuun 

3.yoga. this seriously helps  me so much

4.stomach massage. This too really helps me 

5.stop taking stimulant laxatives. At most take one dose every other day and cut back from there.  

6.talk to doctor

5'3"

cw 109

hw 155

lw 75

sw117

gw 105

ugw maintain above 100 below 115

F*** you ED!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Laxatives, Laxative recovery, Recovery, Laxative abuse, Edema, Bloating, Dulcolax, Laxatives, Laxative recovery, Recovery, Laxative abuse, Edema, Bloating, Dulcolax, Weight gain, Natural laxatives

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users