plumbing issue lol (kinda tmi) - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

plumbing issue lol (kinda tmi)

purge bulimia bp

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ♡wintergirl♡

♡wintergirl♡

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:45 PM

this is a strange topic i know but im concerned that i've busted the pipes from my shower. i haven't purged in forever but the past week i have semi-frequently, but nowhere near what i thought would be enough to do any damage to our pipes or anything. i threw up in the shower quite a bit and now there's a bad smell and i'm afraid my parents are gonna call a plumber and they're gonna be able to tell what i've been doing. is there any product i can buy or something i can do if something is stuck in my shower drain? would draino work? am i just paranoid? i mean the house is relatively old but i really don't think i could've done any serious damage to the pipes within a few days..

• ThatFatBastard and m3ow like this

"I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through."

#2 The Breadcrumb Saga

The Breadcrumb Saga

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts
  • LocationLoafland

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:27 AM

First:

DO NOT EVER USE DRAIN CLEANER IN THE SHOWER OR TOILET!!!!!

With that out of the way:

A short disclaimer: I'm assuming you got a drain protector/shower filter installed to catch hair and residue. The tips can still be tried without.

First thing you need to do is check for hair, I'm guessing you pull hair out of the filter regularly? If not you need to lift the cover and do that. If anything is blocking you can try removing it by hand or by using a hook.
Success rate? Pretty high if the clog is in the filter, or it's visible.

Second thing you should try if you can't find anything in the filter, is to pour boiling water down, a lot of it. Remove the filter/protector first so you don't melt it. A funnel can be useful here. Be careful so you don't burn yourself.
Success rate? Not very high.

Third thing would be a plunger if you have one, try using it. Remove the filter. Smear some petroleum jelly on the edge, make the shower floor wet and plunge for dear life.
Success rate? Very low, but worth it if it's free to try.

Fourth you can try is some baking soda and vinegar, look it up on YouTube so you don't mess it up. But basically pour 1 cup baking soda down the drain, sit a few minutes and pour 1 cup of vinegar down. Wait a few hours for the blockage to dissolve and then pour boiling or very hot water down, a lot of it so it doesn't get stuck further down. Remove the filter before you do this.
Success rate? Moderate, depends a bit on what the clog is made of, and how solid it is.

Fifth, get a plumbers snake. They're not very expensive, push it down until you feel the clog and then turn the handle and bring it back up. Test by turning on the shower and seeing how long it takes for the water to go down. Again, you need access to the pipe so remove the filter.
Success rate? Very high unless it's made by roots growing into the pipe, which is unlikely. The clog needs to be reachable though.

Sixth, buy chemicals. I don't recommend this, and if you do buy one recommended for the type of pipes and shower filter you got. Like seriously you can cause damage for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Use proper safety gloves and goggles, turn on fans or open a window, don't mix chemicals and pray to whatever diety you may believe in that you're not destroying the entire plumbing system of your house! I recommend Super Digest-It Safe Drain Opener, it costs $13 in the US, or any other natural and mild cleaners. This will cause minimum damage and can also be used in toilets, and for monthly maintenance. It's not poisonous, but don't drink it. Duh. You're probably sick of me repeating this: remove filter first.
Success rate? High but also risky.

There are other methods that require expensive equipment I'm guessing you don't want to invest in, then you might as well order a plumber yourself.

Seventh and final solution is call a plumber, or tell your parents and have them try and then call a plumber.
Success rate? Extremely high, but it's costly and can get you in trouble.

Good luck!
  • dark nights, littlelightweight, *°• la lune •°* and 19 others like this

Title.jpg?fit=1000%2C650

#3 ♡wintergirl♡

♡wintergirl♡

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:46 PM

First:

A short disclaimer: I'm assuming you got a drain protector/shower filter installed to catch hair and residue. The tips can still be tried without.

First thing you need to do is check for hair, I'm guessing you pull hair out of the filter regularly? If not you need to lift the cover and do that. If anything is blocking you can try removing it by hand or by using a hook.

Second thing you should try if you can't find anything in the filter, is to pour boiling water down, a lot of it. Remove the filter/protector first so you don't melt it. A funnel can be useful here. Be careful so you don't burn yourself.

Third thing would be a plunger if you have one, try using it. Remove the filter. Smear some petroleum jelly on the edge, make the shower floor wet and plunge for dear life.

Fourth you can try is some baking soda and vinegar, look it up on YouTube so you don't mess it up. But basically pour 1 cup baking soda down the drain, sit a few minutes and pour 1 cup of vinegar down. Wait a few hours for the blockage to dissolve and then pour boiling or very hot water down, a lot of it so it doesn't get stuck further down. Remove the filter before you do this.
Success rate? Moderate, depends a bit on what the clog is made of, and how solid it is.

Fifth, get a plumbers snake. They're not very expensive, push it down until you feel the clog and then turn the handle and bring it back up. Test by turning on the shower and seeing how long it takes for the water to go down. Again, you need access to the pipe so remove the filter.
Success rate? Very high unless it's made by roots growing into the pipe, which is unlikely. The clog needs to be reachable though.

Sixth, buy chemicals. I don't recommend this, and if you do buy one recommended for the type of pipes and shower filter you got. Like seriously you can cause damage for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Use proper safety gloves and goggles, turn on fans or open a window, don't mix chemicals and pray to whatever diety you may believe in that you're not destroying the entire plumbing system of your house! I recommend Super Digest-It Safe Drain Opener, it costs $13 in the US, or any other natural and mild cleaners. This will cause minimum damage and can also be used in toilets, and for monthly maintenance. It's not poisonous, but don't drink it. Duh. You're probably sick of me repeating this: remove filter first.

There are other methods that require expensive equipment I'm guessing you don't want to invest in, then you might as well order a plumber yourself.

Seventh and final solution is call a plumber, or tell your parents and have them try and then call a plumber.

Good luck!

wow thank you so much i really appreciate it

"I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through."

#4 Roo-barb

Roo-barb

There is a New Deputy Sheriff in Town

• Super Moderators
  • 12760 posts
  • LocationUnited kingdom

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:00 PM

First:

Spoiler

Why not use drain cleaner I had no idea

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
EwkD.png

#5 The Breadcrumb Saga

The Breadcrumb Saga

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1364 posts
  • LocationLoafland

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:43 PM

Few reasons why drain cleaners absolutely fucking sucks and you should stay away, they're the literal worst (well there are worse things, like smashing them with a crowbar or blowing them up with semtex) possible thing you can do to your pipes--

Drain cleaners are super strong, they're dangerous chemicals.

If it gets stuck by the clog and can't push it through it will keep creating heat, most drain cleaners contains chemicals that creates heat in contact with water. The pipe will burst. If you throw it in a toilet it will cause the porcelain to crack. Some pipes will literally melt from the cleaner as well, especially in newer homes. In older homes they'll "just" burst.

Only toilet paper and human waste should ever go into the toilet, not even vomit. You shouldn't even use a waste disposal for food as it ruins pipes! Never pour fat down a drain, no oil! It clogs a drain like it clogs an artery.
Toilets especially the food and grease is so light it gets stuck in the water lock and pipes, and they're larger than the sink drain so the clog will be impossible to get out on your own with a cleaner.

Never wash your hair in the sink, the drain is too small to handle it and there are less filters protecting it.

Don't use shaving gel, use shaving soap as the gel/foam leaves a sticky residue.

Most shower clogs are created by hair, most people don't pull hair out of their drains regularly. You then add soap residue and oils from the body, possibly also shower or hair oils, and you got a clog! Add vomit down there? Hahaha, yeah you're screwed, sorry.

Even if the drain cleaner works, it usually just punches a hole through the clog, leaving a ring of residue behind where it builds up stronger and quicker.

Another thing is drain cleaners that don't burn, they just add weight to the clog. This stuff solidifies. Like it becomes almost rock hard. If the clog then isn't removed you've just added concrete to the mix, congrats! This stuff is usually safe for sinks though. Usually. This stuff is too heavy to get through the water lock of a toilet, and not designed to push through the protection of the shower drain. Never use that stuff in a waste disposal either, it will fuck it up royally! Then again you shouldn't be using it in the first place.

It's easy to forget about taking care of our plumbing, it usually takes a long time for a clog to form and we don't see them. Just like cholesterol clogs an artery! Actually plumbing is a lot like arteries/veins, they can burst from stuff you inject/throw into them, they'll burst if you hit them too hard causing a leak, things can grow into them from the outside making them burst, added pressure from plaque forming can burst them-- yes I might be a little (very) tipsy.

As impractical as it might seem, try purging in containers and throwing it out in the garbage. Inexpensive containers or reusing food containers for this purpose will save you in the end.
  • *°• la lune •°*, Winterfae, hippocrite and 5 others like this

Title.jpg?fit=1000%2C650

#6 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15247 posts
  • LocationNot Flirting With You from The Twisted Kingdom

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:20 PM

Few reasons why drain cleaners absolutely fucking sucks and you should stay away, they're the literal worst (well there are worse things, like smashing them with a crowbar or blowing them up with semtex) possible thing you can do to your pipes--

Drain cleaners are super strong, they're dangerous chemicals.

Spoiler

You seem really knowledgeable about this, are you a plumber? We should have this post pinned, your answers are very clear and informative, thank you.

• dabbl, b.rie and ash~doll like this

The Abyss: Through-the-Twisted-Kingdom
Fae's Fantastic Guide To Flirting: Fabulous Fuck-ups & How To Avoid Them (A.K.A Awkward Aspie Anecdotes & Appalling Alliteration)

Fae Tales & Spoken Word Poetryhttps://www.youtube.com/user/TheVioletRaven/
"I am a Titan. A Monolith. Nothing can stop me." ~ "Not finished yet. Still have work to do."

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#7 The Breadcrumb Saga

The Breadcrumb Saga

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1364 posts
  • LocationLoafland

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:53 AM

You seem really knowledgeable about this, are you a plumber? We should have this post pinned, your answers are very clear and informative, thank you.

I'm not, but my father is so I've gotten plenty of lectures 😂 I'm a but scared some of it is wrong though, but I don't think it is :)
  • Winterfae, ~Noodles~, coffee_mochi and 1 other like this

Title.jpg?fit=1000%2C650

#8 b.rie

b.rie

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • LocationUnder a duvet, under a rock, under a cloud... somewhere in the northeast of England

Posted 29 July 2018 - 02:53 PM

First:
Good luck!

Great advice! I was about to suggest this should be pinned as well.

I've had some plumbing nightmares in the past, and I'm super neurotic about blocking the toilet in my new (rented) house. I've recently taken to pouring washing-up liquid (I think you call it dish detergent in the US) down the loo at intervals during purging, to try and dissipate the grease.

Good or bad idea? Any thoughts appreciated :)
I've made my bed, I'll lie in it
I've made my bed, I'll die in it - Hole, "Miss World"

I've got my own ideas about the righteous clique
You can keep the rewards, I'd just as soon stay sick - The Cramps, "Bikini Girls With Machine Guns"

Spoiler

My furry angels:
Spoiler

Formerly 'Etheribbrat'

#9 The Breadcrumb Saga

The Breadcrumb Saga

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1364 posts
  • LocationLoafland

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:04 AM

Great advice! I was about to suggest this should be pinned as well.

I've had some plumbing nightmares in the past, and I'm super neurotic about blocking the toilet in my new (rented) house. I've recently taken to pouring washing-up liquid (I think you call it dish detergent in the US) down the loo at intervals during purging, to try and dissipate the grease.

Good or bad idea? Any thoughts appreciated :)

No idea what they call it in the US 😂
I know you can use washing-up liquid to help unclog a toilet paper clog, in combination with water 🤔
If it doesn't help with the grease it can at least help lubricate the pipes I guess :)
  • b.rie likes this

Title.jpg?fit=1000%2C650

#10 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15247 posts
  • LocationNot Flirting With You from The Twisted Kingdom

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:56 PM

I'm not, but my father is so I've gotten plenty of lectures I'm a but scared some of it is wrong though, but I don't think it is :)

I knew you must have had some sort of insider info, thanks again for sharing! It's all very useful adulting stuff that no one seems to teach you, well, other than your dad.

The Abyss: Through-the-Twisted-Kingdom
Fae's Fantastic Guide To Flirting: Fabulous Fuck-ups & How To Avoid Them (A.K.A Awkward Aspie Anecdotes & Appalling Alliteration)

Fae Tales & Spoken Word Poetryhttps://www.youtube.com/user/TheVioletRaven/
"I am a Titan. A Monolith. Nothing can stop me." ~ "Not finished yet. Still have work to do."

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#11 Mia_lover

Mia_lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Locationisolated mind

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:37 AM

dude, I use drain cleaner in my shower all the time...

I live in a town house and nothing bad has happened..

#12 Anamia.

Anamia.

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5559 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:37 PM

Does the water drain??

Try boiling a huge cauldron of water, mix baking soda and lemon in it, and pour it down the drain.

• SkinnyPassions likes this

Height: 5'55 

HW:200
SW:166
CW: been stuck in the 120s like

UGW: 90 

Maintenance Goal: Staying in the range of the 40kgs (90-105ish lbs). BMI 16 probs the sweet spot.

Accountability: https://www.myproana...tarving-artist/

Affirmations: 

I am worthy of abundance in my life. (Just not in regards to fat on my body okay I want that fat-free female figure.)
Opportunities are always attracted to me and I am always presented with them at the right time.
I am worthy of financial security and financial abundance.

Gave up recovery and the idea of recovering.

I'm not so naiive as to believe that reaching my UGW would be ultimate happiness,

but it is so much easier to be sad and underweight than it is to be fat and depressed.

#13 lunaxfae

lunaxfae

Sage

• Members
  • 983 posts
  • LocationEngland UK

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:36 AM

this is a strange topic i know but im concerned that i've busted the pipes from my shower. i haven't purged in forever but the past week i have semi-frequently, but nowhere near what i thought would be enough to do any damage to our pipes or anything. i threw up in the shower quite a bit and now there's a bad smell and i'm afraid my parents are gonna call a plumber and they're gonna be able to tell what i've been doing. is there any product i can buy or something i can do if something is stuck in my shower drain? would draino work? am i just paranoid? i mean the house is relatively old but i really don't think i could've done any serious damage to the pipes within a few days..

OMG HELP SAME. MY TOILET IS MAKING SCARRRRY NOISES.

Hence why im trying to stop purging. but i'm scared the pipe is going to burst underneath the floorboards/ in the walls and destroy my parents house. 

back to my old account.

5'8 .

HW: 137.6

LW: 96

Vegetarian 

New accountability

tumblr_nhh4utmNxW1s7ljw8o1_75sq.gif

tumblr_inline_p7xouc1BL81rhwzwl_250.giftumblr_inline_p7xouc1BL81rhwzwl_250.giftumblr_inline_p7xouc1BL81rhwzwl_250.giftumblr_inline_p7xouc1BL81rhwzwl_250.giftumblr_inline_p7xouc1BL81rhwzwl_250.gif

phuzccfb402qbwe.gif

#14 baguettesniper

baguettesniper

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:16 AM

someone should pin this

useful shit about shower care

• Lindsey7618 and Uwukiwi like this

5'6

I'm in no rush.

BN
My final destination will not be my current location.

Previously the user >>Failure<<

#15 Faeriesrreal13

Faeriesrreal13

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:22 AM

I JUST got over scare over this
.my toilet was chronically clogged and not flushing. The maintenance men kept fixing it and it wasnt working. I thought after living here ten years and purging millions of times ive finally done it.. Killed the pipes. My downstairs neighbor complained of leaking from my shower too..tho o dont purge in the shower but I DO know all those pipes are connected.
Trigger warning:
So I OF COURSE continued to purge but in bowls and bags. How scary and humiliating and shameful to carry bags of vomit to the dumpster and only at night lest I bump into someone. And the times I forgot the bags and they burst in my floor. And the time I forgot bowls and discovered maggots ib them. And my toilet. Multiple times. And having to carry that to the trash. I lost so many good pots and pans. Its so easy to be bulimic When u can flush it away. But when faced with tge reality if it..the vomit, the aftermath the horror and shame and gross brutluty yr mortality comes into yr mind.seeing tge maggots was a foreshadow of them eating my dead body if I dont stop this, and its not totally inaccurate.
LUCKILY it turned out there was glass in my pipes causing g the clog... Not me.
After that ordeal I did stop for a bit....but if course am back to it. Working toilet and new paycheck was just too tempting.
I'm new here BTW...but not to eds or sites like this. Hope I haven't scared anyone away.
  • Lindsey7618, ThatFatBastard and coffee_mochi like this

#16 VelvetFires

VelvetFires

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1135 posts
  • LocationWashington D.C.

Posted 20 November 2018 - 03:13 AM

Wow this thread has taunt me so much about plumbing!

My house is on well and septic, so I have to be super careful anyway. I have to keep reminding my family members that “flushable” wipes are absolutely NOT flushable!!!
- Velvet - 5’4” - Vegetarian -

#17 dabbl

dabbl

Advanced Guru

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:36 AM

No idea what they call it in the US
I know you can use washing-up liquid to help unclog a toilet paper clog, in combination with water
If it doesn't help with the grease it can at least help lubricate the pipes I guess :)

a huge bucket of water, hottest ins best is perhaps best for breaking up purge, oil paper etc, dumped very quickly in the toilet. gravity and force pushes it through. I would repeat to get it through pipes further on.
As far as detergent, vomit sticks and gets mouldy, dark smelly and is a giveaway eveventually, so yes, hot water, a brush and a good clean is absolutely necessary for least suspicion and fihe the sake of others. Flushing does not always cover the same area and it's cold. Ever do the dishes in plain cold water? Ok so yes buy a phosphorous free environmentally ocean friendly liquid washing up detergent..cheap as anything from the grocery store and rinse bowl and brush at same time in hot water. Done.( btw, not a kettle boiled..plastic pipes don't like it that much :)
a c c o u n t a b i l i t y🥛☕ "goddess Ana" and I are here for Liquid April.
.what..no solids, yes that's right. Then we get to enjoy the muscle and bone ache in our jaw once we chew again. woot woot.
lhttps://www.myproana...1-liquid-april/

#18 DreamerOnCloud7

DreamerOnCloud7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:19 PM

I'd honestly suggest you stop purging in the shower. Toilets have a stronger suction vs the shower pipes. Things to get stuck and clogged easier in shower pipes vs the toilet.
If you're concerned about making noise, or feeling gross, there are easier methods to purge silently, and I usually go crazy with the purges before a shower.

I know that's not proper advice, and you've possible considered that already, but like, shower pipes are nothing like toilet pipes when it comes to getting rid of stuff.

Chewer and Spitter, Bulimic, and Orthorexic

5'4"

Former weight: Less than 80lb

Current weight: 115lb - 122lb

Goal weight: 90lb

-

Writer

-

“The chief proof of man’s real greatness lies in his perception of his own smallness.”

#19 leinevin

leinevin

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:40 PM

I so feel this, I flooded the bathroom at my college haha 

"out beyond ideas of right & wrong is a field"
will I meet you there?
the summer garden blooms
with autumn soon replaced