Ways to stay motivated to stick to a diet? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Ways to stay motivated to stick to a diet?

ana diet motivation help

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_miru_*

Guest_miru_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:03 AM

im having a ton of trouble sticking to a diet and for me when i get depressed i tend to eat alot, any tips on how to break that habit and stay motivated to eat less?
  • teawwreck, fancy, thinmuneca and 6 others like this

#2 Yasmeen

Yasmeen

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1038 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:16 AM

POPULAR

Ok so dis is my recommendation:

- dont call it a "DIET" its a "LIFESTYLE"

- establish support network e.g. close friends, MPA community :) and talk to us when ur not feeling good or wanna binge

- eat what u want but in SMALL portions so u dont feel full

- try to eat only when ur hungry - dont starve urself listen to ur stomach rumbling it'll get less over time too so dont worry

- do stuff u enjoy maybe sport watching movies shopping games etc.

GOOD LUCK :)

• Marissa, HOTLIMIT, dr3am and 78 others like this

#3 Guest_miru_*

Guest_miru_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:18 AM

#4 DemonsInMyHead_x

DemonsInMyHead_x

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:50 PM

I find it easier to ease into it, maybe prep for a week or less with just getting used to eating less. If you get depressed and eat a lot maybe try to have only healthy/ low cal things in. My motivation usually comes from how much I hate my body and want it to change, sometimes when I'm low and really think I can't do it I think 'no this is my body, you don't control me I control you and you will change' and that usually works to motivate me. Eat a few smaller meals a day, it'll help you feel more full and keeps your metabolism going.
Another big motivater for me is seeing the number on the scale drop, so after a good day maybe weigh yourself the morning after and before you've had anything and maybe it'll motivate you to carry on
  • nextyearillbeskinny, Fitted, demelz and 32 others like this

130,129,128,127,126,125,124,123,122, 121, 120, 119, 118, 117, 116, 115, 114, 113, 112, 111, 110, 109, 108, 107, 106, 105, 104, 103, 102, 101, 100, 99, 98, 97, 96, 95, 94, 93, 92, 91, 90, 89, 88, 87, 86, 85, 84, 83, 82, 81, 80, 79, 78, 77, 76, 75

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 lovelyfady

lovelyfady

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3583 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 05:17 AM

Try being busy to not get depressed

Motivation can be photos, clothes, imagines.. :) just think about why do you want to lose weight..
  • Marissa, nextyearillbeskinny, demelz and 11 others like this

996985twta8ka5hw.gif

#6 HandsomeKiddo

HandsomeKiddo

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:39 PM

The way I stay motivated is by thinking about how fat I am. I don’t care that I’m hungry, because I want to change so badly. Looking at real people who are thinner than me, or pictures of people who are thin and bony can make me feel even worse which makes me want to feel hungry so badly. I try not to drink more than two cups of water a day, but if you’re willing, eat small snacks throughout the day and drink a lot of water.
  • greentea-and-collarbones, chichi-margaret, cosmicbaek and 6 others like this
Female
5’3
•CW: Around 90 pounds
•Lw: 89 pounds
•GW: 100 pounds
•GW: 90 pounds
•GW: 80 pounds
•GW: 70 pounds
•GW: 65 pounds

#7 lilshithead

lilshithead

Omniscient

• Members
  • 4114 posts
  • Locationburning in hell

Posted 14 July 2018 - 05:27 PM

the number one thing is to not think of it as a diet

i intermittent fast and sometimes fast for 2-3 days at a time, otherwise high restricting

that's just my life now, it's not a diet, and so i just do it

if you're trying out a bunch of "ana diets" maybe you'd be better off just setting some rules for yourself to stick to each day

• LostBoy96, anorexicduty, # skinnycoffee and 18 others like this

5' 5"

hw: 165 BMI 27.5

lw: 88 BMI 14.6

cw: 99 BMI 16.5

RECOVERING + BUILDING MUSCLE

not a girl

My ramblings/food/exercise stuff:

https://www.myproana...ty-with-thinspo

#8 Kaya Chan

Kaya Chan

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1065 posts
  • LocationFrance - Paris

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:10 AM

don't buy any food that will tempt you 

watch a lot of videos about dieting 

picture your future self 

do other things

don't stay at home 

make an accountability 

don't start too strict, fasting and low restriction are hard

at first, what works best for me is 600 - 800 kcl

Learn to know yourself, don't be afraid to sleep hungry 

• Marissa, babyshuf2, hippo-hips and 27 others like this

#9 angelkitten

angelkitten

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2722 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:15 AM

Call it a lifestyle change as someone above stated. Keep away tempting foods... If it's in your kitchen, it's already in your mouth... Avoid social interactions centered around food that may tempt you to binge or over eat... Exercise.... Thinking about the results you desire

• Cydric, demelz, all.is.pretty and 7 others like this
download.jpg

-Kitty girl =^.^=

#10 Natasha B

Natasha B

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3486 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:21 PM

im having a ton of trouble sticking to a diet and for me when i get depressed i tend to eat alot, any tips on how to break that habit and stay motivated to eat less?

As others have said, this isn't a diet but a lifestyle (mental illness). It's harder for me to have any relationship with food that is "normal". I dread eating most of the time and feel guilty when I do eat a small bit of almost anything. The only thing I consume without guilt is black dark roast coffee. I hate to eat in front of others and I hate for people to comment on how I look. On some days, I wish I could eat and enjoy what I was eating but on most days, I am looking for ways to not be near any food. When I am depressed, I don't eat anything at all. The empty feeling is comforting for me. As I said, I know this is a mental illness but it's not something that I can "snap out" of. 

• QuestToSkinny, Manic4thin, LostBoy96 and 11 others like this

Height: 5'8"

CW: 117 lbs

GW: 110 lbs 

UGW: 105 lbs

2017-09-12 18.33.14.jpg

#11 Overemotional

Overemotional

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:48 AM

-Don’t call it a Diet, as stated from the other comments

-Make sure to stay hydrated, drink plenty of water, tea and coffee if you prefer

-Light but not excessive exercise

-Try to avoid purchasing items that tempt you to binge

-Break small meals down (ex. 1st meal 6am; 2nd meal 9 am; 3rd meal 12 pm; 4th meal 3 pm; 5th meal 6 pm; etc.)

- Find Low calorie foods/ meals that your comfortable with and that are filling

- Like the few comments above me if you restrict/ use to restrict don’t restrict to low or if you fast/ use to don’t do it too quickly give yourself time to adjust

What worked for me when after I relapsed out of Residential and I was in a B/P cycle is that I ate between 1,000-1,200 for a few weeks sometimes 1,200-1,400 depends. Then I lower it down once my appetite started to die down I switched to 600-800 calories (You don’t to lower your calories or restrict this low...)

I hope this helps...
  • Marissa, PaperThinGangster, Whereismymindx and 4 others like this

#12 Guest_reveluv_*

Guest_reveluv_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:08 PM

i have pictures and reminders on my phone to myself of why I started in the first place

#13 spookiestghost

spookiestghost

Omniscient

• Members
  • 3390 posts
  • LocationCanada, Ontario

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:30 PM

feels like a thread id see in 2012

• Cymmetry, wasting, Squidge and 36 others like this

Spoiler

stats and information about my ed/diet:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Six monarch butterfly cocoons

clinging to the back of your throat—

you could feel their gold wings trembling.

You were alarmed. You felt infested.

In the downstairs bathroom of the family home,

gagging to spit them out—

and a voice saying Don’t, don’t

Spoiler

#14 _Gabby

_Gabby

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2985 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:55 PM

Don't go too extreme.
The point is to keep less nutritious food in moderation, but mostly eating whole nutritious foods. What you do most of the time trumps what you eat spairingly
  • azureice, demelz, _Amberine_ and 3 others like this

#15 modelthin001

modelthin001

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 05 August 2018 - 01:49 AM

*try to stay as happy as possible. this means constantly motivating yourself and not beating yourself up. say "i will do this" rather than "don't fucking mess up"

*eat more nutritious foods rather than empty calories! eating vegetables and proteins throughout the day will feel so much more satisfying than eating your whole day's worth of calories in a cake or pizza.

*have a rule that you work off extra calories. remind yourself of this when you're starting to eat past your limit. my mind stops me from eating more now because it goes, "i'm going to have to workout, and i don't want to, so i'd rather stop eating."

*i find that i'm super motivated to lose weight because i keep seeing what i want my future to be like once i'm thin. have visions.

*work towards it in a way that's loving to yourself. depression will definitely bring you down and make you want to self-sabotage. 

• whyarewelaughing, skinnying, demelz and 14 others like this

weight.png?_t=1533503239

#16 _Gabby

_Gabby

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2985 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:31 PM

Break the association that food is for comfort. Food is for nourishment, not comfort. Find different ways to deal with stress, eating wont fix it
  • Cydric, azureice, demelz and 31 others like this

#17 coco x

coco x

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1306 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:20 AM

the healthy foods thing works wonders. the reason i stopped restricting and went back to binging was a combo of not feeling satisfied ever, and craving bad shit. but if i’m eating clean, getting protein, etc, weight loss still has terrible side effects but i can control my mind far better
  • Into_The_Darkness, greentea-and-collarbones, starlightburntout and 5 others like this
?????BMI 16.5?????

#18 dr3am

dr3am

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1394 posts
  • LocationBeach Town

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:51 AM

Sometimes when I am struggling, I find that walking helps to get me back on track. If I spent the time getting in a great walk for an hour, I am much less capable of 'ruining' my day by eating bad foods.

I also found out that 'not eating at all' will only set me off to a bad day or the feelings of wanting to binge. By actually having a healthy meal when I am not to the point of feeling like I am starving, I can carry on without the hungry-turmoils and the "I can't do it's". After a while, you are losing again, you also feel better and it get's to be 'normal' for you. Well...Me anyways.

• Marissa, unworthyliving, greentea-and-collarbones and 4 others like this

SW: 192 lbs.
GW: 110 lbs

Todays Current Weight:
126 lbs.... :angry: :angry: :angry:

(I have gained from a bad binge time frame and I am pissed at the world!)

UGW: 95 lbs.
Used to be 92 lbs. ;)
Height: 5' 2"

Next Goal: 130 lbs.

Next Goal: 120 lbs.

Next Goal: 110

my accountability thread... (171 lbs -130 1/2 lbs)

my new accountability thread ....(149 1/2 lbs - *110 lbs as a goal*)

#19 Darkrhythm

Darkrhythm

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationEverywhere and Nowhere in the Multiverse

Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:11 AM

When you get depressed and want to give in, let yourself eat a bunch of healthy food instead.  I just make myself a couple plates of spinach mix and nonfat Italian dressing, and a few containers of greek yogurt.  You still give your brain and body the nourishment it needs but don't have to feel guilty after.  Just watch the nutrition labels, there are some salad mixes and stuff that are still loaded with calories.  Just get the plain lettuce mixes without all the add-ins.

• unworthyliving, Into_The_Darkness, Faery_Fae and 1 other like this

#20 Belleiri

Belleiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:33 PM

Once you accept that you must be patient and won't loose the weight you want in a month then restricting and loosing weight is much easier.
The problem here is that everyone has that all or nothing mentality (I get it, it's a disorder bla bla) but that's what makes u fuck up when u eat a bit more than expected and u binge cus u "gave up". Also - if you aren't used to it or don't have a strong will power then - restricting lower than 600 shouldn't be ur objective or ur binge. Rather be slow than have no progress at all.
Once u get used to it and anorexia makes your appetite disappear u can restrict as low as u please
  • Accidie, demelz, unworthyliving and 15 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ana, diet, motivation, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users