Ways to stay motivated to stick to a diet? - Page 4 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Ways to stay motivated to stick to a diet?

ana diet motivation help

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#61 BlankThighs

BlankThighs

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:15 AM

track what ur eating

so u know what ur eating is a lot more than it seems

5'8"

Was very close to 

but now i'm starting over.

idk.

Start: 117/118

12/22: 113

GW: 105

#62 LainaRikku

LainaRikku

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:53 AM

I know this sounds messed up... but I weigh myself and then look in the mirror. I know I have to be diligent If I want to change what I see in the mirror and generally restrict If I've hit my calorie max or go work out. If I work out, that increased my endorphins and I'm not depressed anymore.

5'3" 

LW: 100 // HW: 136 // CW: 129.4

GW1: 128 // GW2: 122 // UGW: 110

♡ "Conspire against the odds, but they haven't seen the best of us yet" 

200.gif#299

#63 loveless.0818

loveless.0818

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:52 AM

for me, whenever i'm about to start a diet it's always like "welp this is my last day so I guess I HAVE to binge", yeah no. That was not working out cuz once i started the diet the next day, i'd binge on like day 1 or 2. Now to make myself motivated and my diet successful, I fast for one or two days before i start the diet just to get myself in the dieting mindset. since i've been doing this, more and more of my diets have gone well.

i also have a 'project' that i always like to work on when i'm doing a specific diet. for example, i'm on the abc diet (day 49, wassup) and i've been working on what i call my inspiration binder. it's full of thinspo, goals, rewards, a couple meanspos, and whatever i want basically. it's also hella colorful so i have a lot of fun putting it together. idk it's just something i do but i'd totally recommend trying it. 

• Sister of Pain Lenore, SparrowCorinne, unlucky and 1 other like this

#64 Delicate96

Delicate96

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:53 AM

Remember your intention, your goal

#65 OMANKO

OMANKO

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4194 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:55 AM

The only thing that’s worked for me is saying “the food will still be there tomorrow” and “this is just a craving”. I always, always want to binge. It occupies my mind. But I ask myself “If I’m hungry then would I eat a bowl of oatmeal / a banana / a salad?? Or do I just want the sensory experience of eating the food”. Usually, it’s just the sensory experience of binging on something delicious.

I’ll force myself to eat a healthy food that I really hate first and then see how I feel- usually I don’t want to eat the healthy food at all so I just move on.
  • Accidie, DreamToBe, pumpkin seed and 4 others like this

chronic orthorexia + an/bp

IBS-A, adhd and bipolar ii

taking life one day at a time, currently relapsing

711ac3ac54046c9beeced563b7e05693.jpg

height   5'6

LW       101

HW       135

CW       108

accountability

my tumblr

#66 battle_against_myself

battle_against_myself

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 05:22 PM

i find that planning out my meals in the morning gets me to stay on track. also, spend time making your own food!

• Oxyelite1 likes this

#67 Guest_MightytheWillow_*

Guest_MightytheWillow_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2018 - 05:53 PM

I’m just anorexic, I don’t like to force diets because I just can’t adhere to one long-term. It’s just not practical to plan out what you’re eating every day at exact times. Maybe for other people it is, but I have school, work, and family obligations. I just go about eating passively: if I don’t have to eat, I won’t. I average at around 600 calories daily because I usually eat dinner with family.
  • pumpkin seed likes this

#68 unlucky

unlucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 05:46 PM

well searching up meanspo helps me. you could also look at pictures of skinny people. it helps me more to look at skinny girls irl than online, keeps me motivated :)

#69 TheHollowBones

TheHollowBones

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:21 AM

Honestly when I was at my lowest, I had a full  length mirror on the back of my bedroom door and pictures of models and actresses that I looked to for thinspo cut out from magazines taped up surrounding the mirror. That way every time I looked at myself I was reminded of why I started in the first place.

• AliceDoll likes this

H: 5''5"

HW: 180

LW: 110

CW: 169.4

GW 1: 150 

GW 2: 135 
GW 3: 120 

UGW: 100

#70 teawwreck

teawwreck

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

i would stay motivated by looking at skinny models and thinking that it's going to be worth it so don't give up!

• 420princess likes this

delete my account

#71 420princess

420princess

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:19 AM

Think of some important occasion that's coming. Mine's prom. This will be my dress and I don't want to look like a potato in it, so I stick to my diet :)

HTB1z3.iXODxK1RjSsphq6zHrpXal.jpg

• unworthyliving and Oxyelite1 like this

°˖✧the bags under my eyes are Gucci✧˖°

giphy.gif

tumblr_osgmj46SBt1vdg10oo1_540.gif

giphy.gif

╰( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆*:・゚they say you're what you eat and I absolutely remember eating yoongi's dick*:・゚

#72 Velvetbunny

Velvetbunny

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2772 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:27 AM

sometimes i watch aliexpress and lightinthebox websites because of the models lol

#73 teaxxxholic

teaxxxholic

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:48 AM

I try to stay as conscious of my goal as possible, without becoming stressed on the details. For instance, ill trick my mind into thinking smells and textures are wrong and gross. And it starts to just mix with my goal. The less you want the more you can reject. And I start to believe it so much that I become who I need to be to fit my role. Sorry if this is not helpful. Little things too.. like saying I’m not hungry, just want a drink.. and boom! It’s as true as you are. But you have to learn what you can handle, I think.
  • shrinkingviol3t and midnight. like this

115.4 114 113 112 111 110 109 108 107 106 105 104 103 102 101 100 99 98 97 96 95 94 93 (5'10)

#74 OMANKO

OMANKO

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4194 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:52 AM

Look at self in the mirror lol

chronic orthorexia + an/bp

IBS-A, adhd and bipolar ii

taking life one day at a time, currently relapsing

711ac3ac54046c9beeced563b7e05693.jpg

height   5'6

LW       101

HW       135

CW       108

accountability

my tumblr

#75 shadow_economy

shadow_economy

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1034 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:36 PM

i could never stick to a diet. 

i think the only thing i can say that keeps me 'motivated' is that restriction is a coping mechanism in its own right for me, something i have unfortunately allowed to become a big part of who i am. it helps me deal with anxiety, uncertainty, loneliness, low self-esteem, anger, fear, you name it. Weight loss is more of a welcome side effect, but weight gain causes panic and disgust so that's another trigger for restriction... I have been 'successfully' restricting for a very long time and it's my idea of normal. That doesn't mean i'm impervious to hunger or that I don't like food at all. I'm fine with food, as long as I get to restrict most of the time. I'm really trying to challenge it atm and i'm not gonna lie it's hard. 

• Genevieve99 likes this

an alien from the internet 

spent 2019 in treatment, was doing well but shit happened 

documenting another relapse

trans/man/bi

167cm
LW 43 / 95 / BMI 15.4
HW 61 / BMI 21.8 // SW (joined MPA) 57kg / BMI 20.4

CW 52.4 (post-treatment) 

gw1 53 | BMI 19

gw2 51.6 | BMI 18.2

gw3 50 | 17.9

gw4 47.4 | 17

old blog

#76 HoneyBeeTea

HoneyBeeTea

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationNz

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:40 PM

lock yourself in a room with Netflix and hobby stuff and no food and never leave 

• Accidie likes this
Cold

Please like my art please or don't I don't care  :mellow:

#77 Guest_DietBlink_*

Guest_DietBlink_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:40 PM

the thinspooooooooo

#78 ♡ PJM ♡

♡ PJM ♡

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

Look at some thinspo.

(✿ ͡◕ ᴗ◕)つ━━✫・*。

⊂   ノ    ・゜+.
しーーJ   °。+ *´¨)
.· ´𝔩𝔢𝔱 𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔯𝔢 𝔟𝔢 𝔠𝔞ᴋ𝔢☆´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·’* (¸.·’* (¸.·’* (¸.·’* (¸.·’* *¨)

#79 Genevieve99

Genevieve99

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationIn a small space

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:39 AM

I hope your depression lifts soon. I hate the black dog.

I’ve only been on 3 diets in two decades, they just don’t suit me. Maybe you’re the same way. I like/need to decide on my own what I’ll be eating.

A food scale and daily weighing plus tracking calories by writing everything you eat is an option for you to consider in lieu of a diet.

The above enables you to accurately assess your intake. It’s CICO. Less Calories In, More Calories Out = weight loss.

Exercise is healthy but optional. I personally don’t subtract exercise calories, but I’m not an athlete. The endorphins can help your depression.

Carbs are perfectly fine but if you regularly eat refined sugary foods and drinks then you will crave sugar. Those frappe coffee drinks from places like starbuck’s, cookies, etc. Carbs from fruit or whole grains, etc., are much better.

If there is a food you cannot avoid bingeing on, don’t keep it at home. Buy a serving while you’re out and enjoy it.

Other ideas...

1,200ish daily intake is VERY effective for weight loss. Or taking it down to 1,000ish during the week and enjoying a meal out/relaxed food weekend (no binges though) also works very well. And you just get back on the saddle on Monday.

You could look up your goal weight and enter it into a BMR (basal metabolic rate) calculator with your height and use that as your daily calorie intake. This works well, IME. Weighing daily will result in temperatures weight fluctuations but it evens out. Some like to weigh less often.

Plan your foods ahead of time. If you’re feeling peaked, your calories are two low.

If you have a day or three where you go over your CICO, do NOT despair. But keep your rules of measuring out and calculating calories (my fitness pal app is good) on those days and keep weighing and writing down. No guilt. Just awareness. Get back to plan soon.

There really is no BAD food - try not to adopt this mindset. Have “go to” foods that are healthy and work well with your CICO. But it’s ok to eat other foods, with a caveat that having planned meals and snacks ahead of time is best.

I hate breakfast, don’t eat it. Others swear by it. Either works for CICO. Pick what works for you.

I do recommend a FitBit or a pedometer just for healthy motivation...I get more things done around the house, too.

Don’t torture yourself by wearing clothes that are too tight. However, don’t slog around in pants or skirts with an elastic waist band at home. It’s way too easy to “expand.”

Get a pair of jeans or pants you like or a dress...something reasonably priced that is too small. Like you can squeeze into the jeans but barely button them (or not but can get them over your hips). Try them on periodically on a good scale day....maybe once a week. Very motivating.

If you have a lot to lose, set mini goals and reward yourself when you reach it with a non food item. I consider the goal reached if I am that weight two consecutive days in a row.

WORD OF CAUTION: Have an END goal weight that is reasonable .... say you want to lose 15 lbs....stop when you lose the 15 and set a maintenance weight range. Say your end weight is 120. You lost the 15 so you will need to increase your calories now. Establish a weight range of 118-122...if your on either end for more than a week, you need to adjust your CICO.

Getting that above game plan set up and running becomes easier. Don’t obsess over food, live life.

You may want to ask your doctor about losing weight before you start. Sometimes meds or health conditions like thyroid issues are causing weight problems,

PLEASE remember to STOP at your end weight. Or stop sooner if you’re satisfied at ten lbs instead if the 15 lbs.

You’re welcome here but this forum isn’t the best place for support if you don’t have an eating disorder.

Take care.
  • wasted_lotus, unworthyliving, Marine and 7 others like this

#80 Guest_wannathin102_*

Guest_wannathin102_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:34 PM

I hope your depression lifts soon. I hate the black dog.

I’ve only been on 3 diets in two decades, they just don’t suit me. Maybe you’re the same way. I like/need to decide on my own what I’ll be eating.

A food scale and daily weighing plus tracking calories by writing everything you eat is an option for you to consider in lieu of a diet.

The above enables you to accurately assess your intake. It’s CICO. Less Calories In, More Calories Out = weight loss.

Exercise is healthy but optional. I personally don’t subtract exercise calories, but I’m not an athlete. The endorphins can help your depression.

Carbs are perfectly fine but if you regularly eat refined sugary foods and drinks then you will crave sugar. Those frappe coffee drinks from places like starbuck’s, cookies, etc. Carbs from fruit or whole grains, etc., are much better.

If there is a food you cannot avoid bingeing on, don’t keep it at home. Buy a serving while you’re out and enjoy it.

Other ideas...

1,200ish daily intake is VERY effective for weight loss. Or taking it down to 1,000ish during the week and enjoying a meal out/relaxed food weekend (no binges though) also works very well. And you just get back on the saddle on Monday.

You could look up your goal weight and enter it into a BMR (basal metabolic rate) calculator with your height and use that as your daily calorie intake. This works well, IME. Weighing daily will result in temperatures weight fluctuations but it evens out. Some like to weigh less often.

Plan your foods ahead of time. If you’re feeling peaked, your calories are two low.

If you have a day or three where you go over your CICO, do NOT despair. But keep your rules of measuring out and calculating calories (my fitness pal app is good) on those days and keep weighing and writing down. No guilt. Just awareness. Get back to plan soon.

There really is no BAD food - try not to adopt this mindset. Have “go to” foods that are healthy and work well with your CICO. But it’s ok to eat other foods, with a caveat that having planned meals and snacks ahead of time is best.

I hate breakfast, don’t eat it. Others swear by it. Either works for CICO. Pick what works for you.

I do recommend a FitBit or a pedometer just for healthy motivation...I get more things done around the house, too.

Don’t torture yourself by wearing clothes that are too tight. However, don’t slog around in pants or skirts with an elastic waist band at home. It’s way too easy to “expand.”

Get a pair of jeans or pants you like or a dress...something reasonably priced that is too small. Like you can squeeze into the jeans but barely button them (or not but can get them over your hips). Try them on periodically on a good scale day....maybe once a week. Very motivating.

If you have a lot to lose, set mini goals and reward yourself when you reach it with a non food item. I consider the goal reached if I am that weight two consecutive days in a row.

WORD OF CAUTION: Have an END goal weight that is reasonable .... say you want to lose 15 lbs....stop when you lose the 15 and set a maintenance weight range. Say your end weight is 120. You lost the 15 so you will need to increase your calories now. Establish a weight range of 118-122...if your on either end for more than a week, you need to adjust your CICO.

Getting that above game plan set up and running becomes easier. Don’t obsess over food, live life.

You may want to ask your doctor about losing weight before you start. Sometimes meds or health conditions like thyroid issues are causing weight problems,

PLEASE remember to STOP at your end weight. Or stop sooner if you’re satisfied at ten lbs instead if the 15 lbs.

You’re welcome here but this forum isn’t the best place for support if you don’t have an eating disorder.

Take care.

This is excellent advice, thank you for writing out all of this! x

• starrybitch and Genevieve99 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ana, diet, motivation, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users