Ways to stay motivated to stick to a diet? - Page 9 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Ways to stay motivated to stick to a diet?

ana diet motivation help

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#161 Tired247

Tired247

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4921 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 12:30 AM

Just thought of a new idea: Look at losertown and make a grid (draw it or print an empty table) with enough squares for the amount of days of eating at your chosen daily limit to get to your GW. Check off a box every time you eat your desired amount and/or maybe write your weight from that morning. I thought of this earlier today and I think making it a daily interactive thing for myself as part of a bedtime and/or morning routine might help give additional motivation each day.

Imma try this!
  • oujisama likes this

#162 oujisama

oujisama

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1306 posts
  • Locationa moon

Posted 21 April 2020 - 12:47 AM

Imma try this!

Yay! I also just thought of something else- writing the date that you checked that box off. Rather than being a calendar and possibly creating guilt when one day goes wrong, that's simply a date not written down and the goal becomes to get back to being able to check off boxes and have as many consecutive dates written down as possible. I might label each of my boxes numerically just considering them as 1st day of restricting successfully, etc.

• rosesindoses likes this

dcvsbh6-902b7860-d887-4fc9-983c-2f2753addcvsbtg-964b081c-ff6b-47a4-b221-e323d1a6

dc06ja5-7590cdba-cf9f-45e4-bac9-8c1e5d0adc06i4f-2089791a-fece-455b-b303-3bfcb6aadc06iu9-c44346b3-0b6d-4580-be7b-78190e1bdc06i4f-2089791a-fece-455b-b303-3bfcb6aadc06ja5-7590cdba-cf9f-45e4-bac9-8c1e5d0a

Height: 162.5cm - CW: 55kg - GW: 41kg - UGW: Happy
My Accountability Thread

#163 Steadfastly

Steadfastly

Advanced Warrior

• Supporter
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 01:11 AM

Here's what worked for me as far as exercise, I'm sure it would work for diet goals also:  On 8/15/2012 i decided I'd attempt to workout at least an hour everday for the rest of my life.  Everday I write the # of days on my calander.  One downside is that it would really suck if i got 10 years into my streak and broke it.

| HW: 353lbs | LW: 175lbs | GW: 150lbs? |

tumblr_myl6loSiVe1swtjjuo1_400.gif

#164 𝓐𝓷π“ͺ𝓼𝓽π“ͺ𝓼𝓲π“ͺ

𝓐𝓷π“ͺ𝓼𝓽π“ͺ𝓼𝓲π“ͺ

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 10:23 PM

well i'm looking at thinspiration photos every day and i guess that's it. i mean then i hate my body even more so it motivates me to lose weight

#165 β„œπ”¦π”«π”ž

β„œπ”¦π”«π”ž

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 03:10 AM

I understand the feeling. I couldn't stick to a diet for too long for the same reasons (depression, anxiety and other problems) Buuut... I was very luck to have a very lovely patient girlfriend. She understands my ED (probably because she studies psychology : )) ) and helped me with a healthy diet. Now, to be honest, my motivation comes for her, It is very easy for me to get motivation from external sources. She is a very important factor that helps me right now, until I will get used and be able to do it by myself.

giphy.gif

If I cannot bend Heaven
I will raise Hell

#166 lozmain

lozmain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:32 AM

Distractions.

For me, I find that occupying my mind with something that I really enjoy is a good method. For example, I work on my music - I can do this for hours at a time and almost be stuck in a trance, forgetting any feelings of hunger. 

If it is in the evening,  I might have a couple cups of chamomile tea and then try to get an early night to avoid any temptation (night time is worse for me). 

• rosesindoses likes this

CW: 125lb

GW: 105lb

#167 rosesindoses

rosesindoses

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSeventh Circle of Hell

Posted 07 May 2020 - 03:02 AM

Distractions.

For me, I find that occupying my mind with something that I really enjoy is a good method. For example, I work on my music - I can do this for hours at a time and almost be stuck in a trance, forgetting any feelings of hunger. 

If it is in the evening,  I might have a couple cups of chamomile tea and then try to get an early night to avoid any temptation (night time is worse for me). 

Hey same I decided to get back into piano after centuries practically of not playing it. I sat at the piano for 4 hours in one day once.... but at least I didn't eat oops

• lozmain likes this

#168 MindBonesBroken

MindBonesBroken

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationSomewhere UNDER the rainbow

Posted 10 May 2020 - 04:04 PM

Just thought of a new idea: Look at losertown and make a grid (draw it or print an empty table) with enough squares for the amount of days of eating at your chosen daily limit to get to your GW. Check off a box every time you eat your desired amount and/or maybe write your weight from that morning. I thought of this earlier today and I think making it a daily interactive thing for myself as part of a bedtime and/or morning routine might help give additional motivation each day.

Omg i LOVE this! It's perfect. Thank you❀:)
Fat. Miserable. Ughhh.My accountability: https://www.myproana...k-to-beautiful/ -_- 5,2ft/158cm (I grew a centimetre over the past year or so)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SW: 125lbs / 56.7kg / BMI : 23
LW: 74.9lbs / 34kg / BMI : 13.7
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CW: 102.1lbs / 46.3kg / BMI: 18.5
(I'm MUCH happier with my body! Still feel insecure and unattractive BUT I feel more myself, I feel safer and more in control. It's weird and almost spiritual; I actually feel motivated to enjoy moments and confident enough to be more authentic around myself and my friendsπŸ˜ŠπŸ’–)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GW1: 110.2lbs / 50kg / BMI: 20βœ”
GW2: 105.8lbs / 48kg / BMI: 19.2βœ”
GW3: 99.2lbs / 45kg / BMI: 18
UGW: 95lbs / 43kg / BMI: 17
𝐌𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐚π₯π‡πžπšπ₯𝐭𝐑 = πƒπžπœπšπ²π’π§π ππ²π“π‘πžπƒπšπ²

#169 Twinkle_ox

Twinkle_ox

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:14 AM

Thinking of it as a lifestyle change rather than a diet and also thinking that you can have a bit of what you want , just don’t go overboard :)

#170 nillingar

nillingar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:53 AM

watching my 600lb life

#171 Druggybones

Druggybones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 11:26 PM

something i do when i want to eat is exercise, even if i dont want to. and not a crazy workout either, like jumping around or just pacing in my room until the craving goes away, plus i will burn a little bit more calories...

#172 Lightningbolt

Lightningbolt

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 12:40 AM

watching my 600lb life

Okay legit same

#173 .Debaser.

.Debaser.

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7686 posts
  • LocationFight Club. Oops...

Posted 02 September 2020 - 04:53 PM

fear

Highest BMI = 26.6      β˜…      Lowest BMI = 14.4      β˜…      Goal BMI  = 13.0

tumblr_ngr5bnG4AP1taw7zdo1_500.gif

21 y.o      β˜…      Female      β˜…      ENTP-T      β˜…      Diagnosed AN-bp in 2017

More gifs in spoiler

Spoiler

#174 unworthyliving

unworthyliving

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Locationunited states

Posted 04 September 2020 - 01:50 PM

There are so many things I’ve done over the years.
-The biggest thing I’ve learned is to have safe food in the house that I don’t have to cook, while also keeping all the junk out of the house. Meal planning is important but sometimes I just don’t have it in me to cook every meal. Some of my staples are fruit bars, yogurt, rice cakes, low cal popsicles, and clementines.
-Start slow. Don’t restrict too low because it sets you up for yo-yo dieting. I don’t even count calories anymore, I just eat what feels comfortable after checking the calories initially. I don’t fast either because I’ve learned it sets me up for a binge. I also try to get at least a little bit of protein at every meal because it helps me stay satisfied longer and it’s good for your muscles (including your heart).
-Get a monthly calendar and hang it in your bedroom. Keep track of 5 things every day: your period, your weight (every morning after using the toilet), if you had a bowel movement, if you exercised, and if you stuck to your meal plan. I use an asterisk for period days, write my weight, and draw a circle, square, and triangle to represent BM, meal plan, and exercise. I check them off if completed. That way it helps me keep my weight in perspective.
-Set mini goals for yourself. Get two clear containers and put them somewhere in your room. Use buttons, marbles, or pennies to represent the amount of pounds you want to lose and put them in one jar. Every time you lose a pound move it to the next jar. When I think about bingeing, I imagine having to move a button from one jar back to the other and it helps prevent me from doing so.
-Set goals for yourself that have nothing to do with weightloss and make a rewards chart. Keep track of your goals with stickers or stars or something. One sticker for reading for an hour. 5 stickers for completing a to-do list. 3 stickers for exercising 2x/week. 2 stickers for sending mail to a friend. Etc. Give yourself prizes for how many stickers you earn. My β€œbig prize” is for 50 stickers I get to buy a new board game. I have 3 roommates so it’s pretty great. It helps with mood, self worth, and distraction, especially if you aren’t in school or employed.
-I use DBT skills a lot. A LOT. They’re not really meant for this but it helps. I use the β€œdistraction” unit and the β€œpros and cons” unit when I feel like eating outside of my plan. You can probably find them online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ana, diet, motivation, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users