A diet that might save more muscle and lose more fat - Muscle Dysmorphia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

A diet that might save more muscle and lose more fat

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sleppybunny82_*

Guest_Sleppybunny82_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:03 PM

I have been thinking alot about this and it seems much easier than regular CR with a low calorie diet like 1200 or 1000 and a daily workout everyday to achieve the week fat loss goal of let's say 2 lbs. The diet i have had on my mind is a combo of water fasting and a 500-700 kcal deficit (depends on the persons bmr) on workout days and the deficit for a week is around -7000 kcal. No execissive hours working out, cutting calories and using up your spare time to that while you can be water fasting and enjoying a good amount of food on your eating days. Its like ADF (alternate day fasting) but with mild CR on the feeding days. With ADF AND CR its easier on the body beacuse its bmr is not that higly impacted and you might even build a little muscle on this if you are a novic lifter, maybe. I would love to hear from others what their thoughts and opinions are on this.

#2 lassie

lassie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:09 AM

I know this is super super late haha but I'm feeling inclined to spill some thoughts... I agree ADF has been super efficient at least for me, sometimes I'd do that for about a week and then switch to OMAD (one meal a day), basically always some form of intermittent fasting. ADF+OMAD together for a few days is a killer combo for fat loss but definitely unsustainable, and I often end up binging or being miserable when I go too extreme. I'm always on some form of IF, though, and never without CR. It's been the best for me, already lost 10kg that way along with the occasional home/outdoor workout. I make sure I'm not miserable or sleepy meanwhile because that will kill your metabolism and very seriously slow down loss.

If you've also ever heard of the ketogenic diet... it's basically maintaining your carb intake at <20g, eating mostly fats and decent protein so your body only metabolizes fat for energy and has less trouble switching to body fat and burning it more efficiently when you fast. The longest I've stayed on keto is a bit under 2 months, and that combined with IF (and of course always regulating my calorie intake) seems to literally melt body fat, at least for me... there's a ton of reading you can do on the subject out there, as this diet has grown in popularity quite a bit lately. Good luck!!

#3 lassie

lassie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:14 AM

Oh I forgot to add, keto as well as IF have separately been proven to be probably the absolute best diets out there for preserving muscle mass! That's super important to me as I'm a bit of an athlete as well haha

#4 flickerbeat

flickerbeat

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2911 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:31 AM

If you've also ever heard of the ketogenic diet... it's basically maintaining your carb intake at <20g, eating mostly fats and decent protein so your body only metabolizes fat for energy and has less trouble switching to body fat and burning it more efficiently when you fast. The longest I've stayed on keto is a bit under 2 months, and that combined with IF (and of course always regulating my calorie intake) seems to literally melt body fat, at least for me... there's a ton of reading you can do on the subject out there, as this diet has grown in popularity quite a bit lately. Good luck!!

When you're no longer in ketosis, do you tend to gain the weight back? Or does it stay off? How do you keep it off?

Stats:

Spoiler

nonbinary [they/them]

come make fun of me here

I've AWOLed to My Pancake Addiction

B) i'm different from all the other snowflakes, i swear B) 

#5 lassie

lassie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 05:02 AM

In my experience and according to all the research I've read, you don't! It's even easier to keep it off since your body becomes more efficient at burning fat and remembers it even when you reintroduce carbs. However, I don't think it's good to stay in constant ketosis for more than a few months since your body might forget how to properly process a lot of good carbs such as fruits and you might get digestion issues. In the long-term, variety is super important...

The good thing is your hunger decreases in ketosis and you won't have that massive urge to binge when you come out of it. Of course as long as you do minimal processed/junk food and don't consume past maintenance, you don't regain anything :) 

#6 relaxingterror

relaxingterror

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:47 PM

high protein, low fat, moderate carbs, focusing on lots of veggies is key for me. something similar to the fighter diet by pauline nordin. i usually eat 2 meals a day around 500 cals each and they are SUPER filling i don't even feel deprived sometimes it's great. also drink tons and tons of water/tea.

with keto^ it's not enough carbs to fuel workouts properly, and even then it has a low success/sustainability rate. once you start eating carbs again you blow up too just lol who wants that.

• YeomanBitter likes this

Currently a fat piece of shit.

CW: 118lb

LW: 115lb

GW: 106lb

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering."

https://tthoughtsexp...ixsite.com/home

#7 ItsBoshyTime

ItsBoshyTime

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1993 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:30 PM

I've been thinking about this lately too...

We all know calories can't tell time and that CICO is a thing so... Im wonder if I eat a large amount of calories after a heavy workout (enough to cause hypertrophy) and then fast or eat on a deficit will I gain muscle and lose fat? Yes I know you lose muscle on a deficit too blah blah blah but... If you keep your protein high its less likely that this will happen so in the end you will be losing more fat and gaining or at least mantaining muscle.

MaleInsidiousGilamonster-size_restrictedgiphy.gif

#8 ozatana

ozatana

Advanced Warrior

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:13 AM

I've been thinking about this lately too...

We all know calories can't tell time and that CICO is a thing so... Im wonder if I eat a large amount of calories after a heavy workout (enough to cause hypertrophy) and then fast or eat on a deficit will I gain muscle and lose fat? Yes I know you lose muscle on a deficit too blah blah blah but... If you keep your protein high its less likely that this will happen so in the end you will be losing more fat and gaining or at least mantaining muscle.

You really think pro level bodybuilders (and other athletes) who are trying to maximize their body composition (as much muscle as possible with as little bodyfat as physically possible) eat 4-6 meals a day, time their macros correctly and avoid stupid nonsense fad diets (such as the one you mentioned) for nothing?

#9 Explosion-san

Explosion-san

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:01 PM

You really think pro level bodybuilders (and other athletes) who are trying to maximize their body composition (as much muscle as possible with as little bodyfat as physically possible) eat 4-6 meals a day, time their macros correctly and avoid stupid nonsense fad diets (such as the one you mentioned) for nothing?

I don't think you can really correlate what body builders do to what works for a normal person. They're all on multiple anabolic steroids and fat burners and do super intense workouts every day, although what they do does work, it doesn't mean it's the only way, especially if you're of a reasonable size and aren't trying to get to something ridiculous like 6% body fat.

As for doing a big meal and then fasting for a short period of time (24-48 hours), that doesn't work well as you burn a lot of protein in that time period before going in to ketosis. A short fast of 12-16 hours (time restricted feeding) can be good as it lets your insulin levels drop. The important thing is to get enough protein when on a cut.

• flickerbeat likes this

AmazingFabulousBackswimmer-size_restrict

Explosion!

Male

Height: 6'1.5"

HW: 275lbs

CW: 198lbs

LW: 185lbs

Currently doing a cut

UGW: No idea? Flash a V8 is the goal, being 180lbs would probably help.

#10 ozatana

ozatana

Advanced Warrior

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:06 PM

I don't think you can really correlate what body builders do to what works for a normal person. They're all on multiple anabolic steroids and fat burners and do super intense workouts every day, although what they do does work, it doesn't mean it's the only way, especially if you're of a reasonable size and aren't trying to get to something ridiculous like 6% body fat.

As for doing a big meal and then fasting for a short period of time (24-48 hours), that doesn't work well as you burn a lot of protein in that time period before going in to ketosis. A short fast of 12-16 hours (time restricted feeding) can be good as it lets your insulin levels drop. The important thing is to get enough protein when on a cut.

Drugs aren't magic, they will just allow a person to go next level, the effort is still needed in order to reach peak level results

Sure short term (sub 24hr) fasts aren't harmful regarding nuscle retention however your results will be better with 4-6 evenly spaced protein feedings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users