second opinion HYPOTHYROIDISM - Illness or Injury - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

second opinion HYPOTHYROIDISM

hypothyroid hypothyroidism underactive thyroid restriction dieting weight gain gained gaining health

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kbunny

kbunny

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationtexASS

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:38 PM

OKAY SO....this might be long but I really really really need a second or third or fourth opinion on this!!

Sooo basically I started dieting/exercising when I was 13, then started restricting back when I was around 14. So I restricted/exercised all through high school, dropped 40lbs in like 6 months because I was barely eating and exercising (got down to my lowest 95lbs). So I was maintaining and not losing on like 300-500 cals a day after I lost all of that weight. Then I started my senior year of high school. At the beginning of my senior year, it was almost like a switch went off. Neither my diet nor my exercise routine had changed but I noticed that I had gained weight. I didn't own a scale at the time, but I would go to my grandma's house very often and weigh myself there, and I was 10 lbs up and it was like where did that come from???

So this weight wasn't going anywhere but up. You guys, I'm not even fucking kidding....I gained an average of 10 lbs A MONTH. No binging, in fact I was eating LESS, and still working out, if not MORE, I even got a gym membership. This was very stressful because despite my efforts, I was literally gaining weight overnight, my clothes weren't fitting me anymore, graduation was coming up, I had missed so much school because I was so depressed, but I did make it through. At this time I was about 150lbs.

I did actually go to the doctor (we didn't have insurance at the time, in fact we just got some like a month ago lol) and got my labs done, they called me and told me everything looked "fine" like ugh, of course. So I just shrugged it off and thought, 'hmmm maybe my body is telling me it's time to recover?' but that doesn't happen right? I was watching all of these YouTube fitness videos about "how to kick-start your metabolism" and workout routine videos, and I was avidly going to the gym, trying to do like strength training workouts. But it literally didn't matter what I did, I was still gaining and ended the summer at ~190lbs. And no, it wasn't muscle, I was actual fat. So I got a personal trainer (lol that was a shit-show), got in a car wreck, was broke, and decided to join the navy all in the same month lol. Anyways to make a long story short: I trained for the navy (working out 3-4 times a day and eating maybe oatmeal or an apple, lost like 15lbs in 3 weeks) I didn't join the navy, went back home, was still training and everything, ended up pulling the muscles in my inner thighs (idk what they're called sorry) from running, and decided I didn't want to join because it was so stressful and overwhelming. So then I gained ALL of that weight BACK....ugh. So after about a month and a half from not working out, the pain and inflammation was gone I started moderately working out again. Started to eat normal over the months to 'try to increase my metabolism' got up to eating 2000 cals a day.

So for the past year I have been eating 2000 cals a day and working out here and there to be healthy. So anyways about 3 months ago, I decided to start a diet/restricting cals to see if I could lose a bunch of weight because I am literally so uncomfortable with my body. I've been eating about 600-1000 cals a day, buttttttt I haven't lost a POUND....I mean like I don't lose weight when I try, it's literally the opposite. I am wondering if all of my dieting over the years has caused me to develop underactive thyroid. I'm just worried if I go to the doctor and they do lab work, they're going to say everything looks fine even if they do a full thyroid panel...I don't want to be misdiagnosed, and I don't want to waste my parent's money. But it's like I don't know what it could be or if I can fix it on my own? I mean I don't know any other explanation for gaining 100+ lbs in a fucking year, and working out and eating healthy and not losing a pound? And I have other symptoms besides the weight gain/unable to lose, like: HEAVY periods, headaches, muscle cramps/weakness, chronic fatigue/tiredness, I got the flu three times within 5 months, anemia, really really bad depression to the point of suicidal thoughts/self-harm. And it's just like obviously I have a "sluggish metabolism" but would it be considered "hypothyroidism" ? Should I seek professional help or should I try to fix this on my own again? Sorry if this is long, I just wanted to include background info, and I even revised this, it was longer, lol, but please leave comments/feedback!!!!!!! <33333333

• CaffeinatedBones likes this

HW: 200

LW: 95
CW: don't wanna say :(
GW: 130

5'6"

#2 PurgeyMcPurgison

PurgeyMcPurgison

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:44 PM

It could be a wide variety of things. If there's actually something up with your thyroid gland, your TSH should come up high. When that comes up high, they tend to check your ft3 and ft4. Have them check your blood for a high TPO antibody count as well.

If you're seriously gaining weight like crazy, have your doctor examine you for Cushing's disease.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk
  • Littlefawn_ likes this

#3 Forget-Me-Not-03/12/80

Forget-Me-Not-03/12/80

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9203 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 October 2018 - 05:36 PM

OKAY SO....this might be long but I really really really need a second or third or fourth opinion on this!!
Sooo basically I started dieting/exercising when I was 13, then started restricting back when I was around 14. So I restricted/exercised all through high school, dropped 40lbs in like 6 months because I was barely eating and exercising (got down to my lowest 95lbs). So I was maintaining and not losing on like 300-500 cals a day after I lost all of that weight. Then I started my senior year of high school. At the beginning of my senior year, it was almost like a switch went off. Neither my diet nor my exercise routine had changed but I noticed that I had gained weight. I didn't own a scale at the time, but I would go to my grandma's house very often and weigh myself there, and I was 10 lbs up and it was like where did that come from???
So this weight wasn't going anywhere but up. You guys, I'm not even fucking kidding....I gained an average of 10 lbs A MONTH. No binging, in fact I was eating LESS, and still working out, if not MORE, I even got a gym membership. This was very stressful because despite my efforts, I was literally gaining weight overnight, my clothes weren't fitting me anymore, graduation was coming up, I had missed so much school because I was so depressed, but I did make it through. At this time I was about 150lbs.
I did actually go to the doctor (we didn't have insurance at the time, in fact we just got some like a month ago lol) and got my labs done, they called me and told me everything looked "fine" like ugh, of course. So I just shrugged it off and thought, 'hmmm maybe my body is telling me it's time to recover?' but that doesn't happen right? I was watching all of these YouTube fitness videos about "how to kick-start your metabolism" and workout routine videos, and I was avidly going to the gym, trying to do like strength training workouts. But it literally didn't matter what I did, I was still gaining and ended the summer at ~190lbs. And no, it wasn't muscle, I was actual fat. So I got a personal trainer (lol that was a shit-show), got in a car wreck, was broke, and decided to join the navy all in the same month lol. Anyways to make a long story short: I trained for the navy (working out 3-4 times a day and eating maybe oatmeal or an apple, lost like 15lbs in 3 weeks) I didn't join the navy, went back home, was still training and everything, ended up pulling the muscles in my inner thighs (idk what they're called sorry) from running, and decided I didn't want to join because it was so stressful and overwhelming. So then I gained ALL of that weight BACK....ugh. So after about a month and a half from not working out, the pain and inflammation was gone I started moderately working out again. Started to eat normal over the months to 'try to increase my metabolism' got up to eating 2000 cals a day.
So for the past year I have been eating 2000 cals a day and working out here and there to be healthy. So anyways about 3 months ago, I decided to start a diet/restricting cals to see if I could lose a bunch of weight because I am literally so uncomfortable with my body. I've been eating about 600-1000 cals a day, buttttttt I haven't lost a POUND....I mean like I don't lose weight when I try, it's literally the opposite. I am wondering if all of my dieting over the years has caused me to develop underactive thyroid. I'm just worried if I go to the doctor and they do lab work, they're going to say everything looks fine even if they do a full thyroid panel...I don't want to be misdiagnosed, and I don't want to waste my parent's money. But it's like I don't know what it could be or if I can fix it on my own? I mean I don't know any other explanation for gaining 100+ lbs in a fucking year, and working out and eating healthy and not losing a pound? And I have other symptoms besides the weight gain/unable to lose, like: HEAVY periods, headaches, muscle cramps/weakness, chronic fatigue/tiredness, I got the flu three times within 5 months, anemia, really really bad depression to the point of suicidal thoughts/self-harm. And it's just like obviously I have a "sluggish metabolism" but would it be considered "hypothyroidism" ? Should I seek professional help or should I try to fix this on my own again? Sorry if this is long, I just wanted to include background info, and I even revised this, it was longer, lol, but please leave comments/feedback!!!!!!! <33333333

I would go back to the Dr and ask for a bunch of blood work. Anything that could cause wt gain as a symptom. Do any chronic illnesses run in your family?

Recovery the best way to health

36 yr olds

4ft 9in

In recovery

Feeling healthy :)

I've decided to be happy because it is good for my health - voltaire

#4 Rusalka

Rusalka

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:49 AM

I just started to take medication for hypothyroidism. I went to the lab and my tsh was high. Those things you mentioned about the weight gain and tiredness etc. Sounds like hypothyroidism at least to me.

Lähetetty minun Nokia 6.1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
  • kbunny likes this
5"1 SW: 125lbs CW: 112lbs GW: 83lbs

#5 dumblonde64

dumblonde64

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Locationhopefully not a coffin

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:04 PM

It seems like a viable option. Two other things to note are coldness and an enlarged thyroid (seen by swelling at base of throat). If you also have those, it increases the likelihood that you have hypothyroidism.
If you get tested via t3 and t4 and it comes back negative, but you aren’t convinced, ask the doctor to check you TSH and thyroid antibody. If you have certain conditions, your t3 and t4 may come back normal.
Please note that my advice comes from my experience with hypothyroidism caused by Hashimoto’s (an autoimmune thing) so my experience and symptoms likely differ from that of others. Also I’m not a doctor.
Good luck, feel better!

Currently taking applications for anyone who can stab me in the jugular. No prior experience necessary, tools provided.

#6 lustysilhouette

lustysilhouette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:27 PM

Sooo basically I started dieting/exercising when I was 13, then started restricting back when I was around 14. So I restricted/exercised all through high school, dropped 40lbs in like 6 months because I was barely eating and exercising (got down to my lowest 95lbs). So I was maintaining and not losing on like 300-500 cals a day after I lost all of that weight. Then I started my senior year of high school. At the beginning of my senior year, it was almost like a switch went off. Neither my diet nor my exercise routine had changed but I noticed that I had gained weight. I didn't own a scale at the time, but I would go to my grandma's house very often and weigh myself there, and I was 10 lbs up and it was like where did that come from???

So this weight wasn't going anywhere but up. You guys, I'm not even fucking kidding....I gained an average of 10 lbs A MONTH. No binging, in fact I was eating LESS, and still working out, if not MORE, I even got a gym membership. This was very stressful because despite my efforts, I was literally gaining weight overnight, my clothes weren't fitting me anymore, graduation was coming up, I had missed so much school because I was so depressed, but I did make it through. At this time I was about 150lbs.

I did actually go to the doctor (we didn't have insurance at the time, in fact we just got some like a month ago lol) and got my labs done, they called me and told me everything looked "fine" like ugh, of course. So I just shrugged it off and thought, 'hmmm maybe my body is telling me it's time to recover?' but that doesn't happen right? I was watching all of these YouTube fitness videos about "how to kick-start your metabolism" and workout routine videos, and I was avidly going to the gym, trying to do like strength training workouts. But it literally didn't matter what I did, I was still gaining and ended the summer at ~190lbs. And no, it wasn't muscle, I was actual fat. So I got a personal trainer (lol that was a shit-show), got in a car wreck, was broke, and decided to join the navy all in the same month lol. Anyways to make a long story short: I trained for the navy (working out 3-4 times a day and eating maybe oatmeal or an apple, lost like 15lbs in 3 weeks) I didn't join the navy, went back home, was still training and everything, ended up pulling the muscles in my inner thighs (idk what they're called sorry) from running, and decided I didn't want to join because it was so stressful and overwhelming. So then I gained ALL of that weight BACK....ugh. So after about a month and a half from not working out, the pain and inflammation was gone I started moderately working out again. Started to eat normal over the months to 'try to increase my metabolism' got up to eating 2000 cals a day.

So for the past year I have been eating 2000 cals a day and working out here and there to be healthy. So anyways about 3 months ago, I decided to start a diet/restricting cals to see if I could lose a bunch of weight because I am literally so uncomfortable with my body. I've been eating about 600-1000 cals a day, buttttttt I haven't lost a POUND....I mean like I don't lose weight when I try, it's literally the opposite. I am wondering if all of my dieting over the years has caused me to develop underactive thyroid. I'm just worried if I go to the doctor and they do lab work, they're going to say everything looks fine even if they do a full thyroid panel...I don't want to be misdiagnosed, and I don't want to waste my parent's money. But it's like I don't know what it could be or if I can fix it on my own? I mean I don't know any other explanation for gaining 100+ lbs in a fucking year, and working out and eating healthy and not losing a pound? And I have other symptoms besides the weight gain/unable to lose, like: HEAVY periods, headaches, muscle cramps/weakness, chronic fatigue/tiredness, I got the flu three times within 5 months, anemia, really really bad depression to the point of suicidal thoughts/self-harm. And it's just like obviously I have a "sluggish metabolism" but would it be considered "hypothyroidism" ? Should I seek professional help or should I try to fix this on my own again? Sorry if this is long, I just wanted to include background info, and I even revised this, it was longer, lol, but please leave comments/feedback!!!!!!! <33333333

I'd definitely go and ask about your thyroid. The gland controls so so much more than just metabolism and weight gain. I have hereditary hypothyroidism and it started flaring up when I was 11 (had a massive goitre around my neck, and went to get that checked). I also continued training (I swam for my town) and eating as usual but ended up gaining about 10kg over two months for no reason. I've been on levothyroxine since but I say go get it checked out cause I also been told that due to my thyroid and its complications, im only 14% fertile as my ovaries didnt develop due to how little my thyroid worked. I didn't have the rest of the symptoms like you do but yh, i'd say go to an endocrinologist for sure. good luck!

tumblr_nhj6x29Zvq1qbq7r8o1_500.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=12451283

#7 horselady36

horselady36

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:11 PM

Hi Kbunny,

Hey there, yeah thyroid issues can totally suck! I was born without the thyroid gland. I can't stand most doctors cause the ones I had seen only run the TSH and that is just plain being lazy and not looking at the whole picture. I have one doctor that I love, but I moved so I don't have her anymore :(   

I'm 42 & the weight loss is ZERO for me, no matter what I do. I'm not giving up though! I am so uncomfortable in my body. The Thyroid labs are showing I'm hyperthyroid, I'm getting too high of a dose, but my weight has stalled! 

Sucks cause I'm also entering menopause so it's like a triple whammy! 

I hope you find a solution and you feel better soon! 

5 foot 8

HW  156 :angry: 

CW 145  :angry:   :(

GW 1- 135 1st goal met! 

GW 2- 125

GW 3- 111

GW 4- 105

Ultamate GW  95

#8 SilentFlower

SilentFlower

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:06 AM

Sooo basically I started dieting/exercising when I was 13, then started restricting back when I was around 14. So I restricted/exercised all through high school, dropped 40lbs in like 6 months because I was barely eating and exercising (got down to my lowest 95lbs). So I was maintaining and not losing on like 300-500 cals a day after I lost all of that weight. Then I started my senior year of high school. At the beginning of my senior year, it was almost like a switch went off. Neither my diet nor my exercise routine had changed but I noticed that I had gained weight. I didn't own a scale at the time, but I would go to my grandma's house very often and weigh myself there, and I was 10 lbs up and it was like where did that come from???
So this weight wasn't going anywhere but up. You guys, I'm not even fucking kidding....I gained an average of 10 lbs A MONTH. No binging, in fact I was eating LESS, and still working out, if not MORE, I even got a gym membership. This was very stressful because despite my efforts, I was literally gaining weight overnight, my clothes weren't fitting me anymore, graduation was coming up, I had missed so much school because I was so depressed, but I did make it through. At this time I was about 150lbs.
I did actually go to the doctor (we didn't have insurance at the time, in fact we just got some like a month ago lol) and got my labs done, they called me and told me everything looked "fine" like ugh, of course. So I just shrugged it off and thought, 'hmmm maybe my body is telling me it's time to recover?' but that doesn't happen right? I was watching all of these YouTube fitness videos about "how to kick-start your metabolism" and workout routine videos, and I was avidly going to the gym, trying to do like strength training workouts. But it literally didn't matter what I did, I was still gaining and ended the summer at ~190lbs. And no, it wasn't muscle, I was actual fat. So I got a personal trainer (lol that was a shit-show), got in a car wreck, was broke, and decided to join the navy all in the same month lol. Anyways to make a long story short: I trained for the navy (working out 3-4 times a day and eating maybe oatmeal or an apple, lost like 15lbs in 3 weeks) I didn't join the navy, went back home, was still training and everything, ended up pulling the muscles in my inner thighs (idk what they're called sorry) from running, and decided I didn't want to join because it was so stressful and overwhelming. So then I gained ALL of that weight BACK....ugh. So after about a month and a half from not working out, the pain and inflammation was gone I started moderately working out again. Started to eat normal over the months to 'try to increase my metabolism' got up to eating 2000 cals a day.
So for the past year I have been eating 2000 cals a day and working out here and there to be healthy. So anyways about 3 months ago, I decided to start a diet/restricting cals to see if I could lose a bunch of weight because I am literally so uncomfortable with my body. I've been eating about 600-1000 cals a day, buttttttt I haven't lost a POUND....I mean like I don't lose weight when I try, it's literally the opposite. I am wondering if all of my dieting over the years has caused me to develop underactive thyroid. I'm just worried if I go to the doctor and they do lab work, they're going to say everything looks fine even if they do a full thyroid panel...I don't want to be misdiagnosed, and I don't want to waste my parent's money. But it's like I don't know what it could be or if I can fix it on my own? I mean I don't know any other explanation for gaining 100+ lbs in a fucking year, and working out and eating healthy and not losing a pound? And I have other symptoms besides the weight gain/unable to lose, like: HEAVY periods, headaches, muscle cramps/weakness, chronic fatigue/tiredness, I got the flu three times within 5 months, anemia, really really bad depression to the point of suicidal thoughts/self-harm. And it's just like obviously I have a "sluggish metabolism" but would it be considered "hypothyroidism" ? Should I seek professional help or should I try to fix this on my own again? Sorry if this is long, I just wanted to include background info, and I even revised this, it was longer, lol, but please leave comments/feedback!!!!!!! <33333333

I know this was like 2 years ago, but really wanting to know what the outcome was or if u got any answers?

Accountability Below       
sml_gallery_229386_67321_960.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hypothyroid, hypothyroidism, underactive thyroid, restriction, dieting, weight gain, gained, gaining, health

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users