Dress your age? - Age 30+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Dress your age?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 Butterfly81

Butterfly81

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:56 PM

Do you dress your age?

If not, do you get any shit about it from anyone?

Do you care if so?

I'm 37, admittingly i dress like a girly/feminine late teen/early 20ish style clothing & accessories etc

My friends that are girls seem to get on my case alot about it, rather hostile it seems really. Personally i feel its b/c they are mad that they feel they "have" to dress their age....for their lifestyles i suppose (jobs, to keep up w/ certain grouos they're involved in etc) & also they seem to cut me down Alot esp in summerwear. ~i dont comment on their choice of dressing so this rather upsets me. Other than it upsetting me a bit b/c they're suppose to be friends, i dont care about what the public etc thinks. Its the way i feel most comfortable & feel the most Me :)
  • vattodovattodo, BriarRosie, usernamerequired and 3 others like this

#2 Silverlily

Silverlily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:29 AM

31 & I dress my age at work and with friends but dress more girly/younger when it's just me and the hubby (at home or in public). I feel like how you dress is completely a personal choice but you also have to be aware of how others see you because of it.

I wouldn't get close with someone who doesn't dress professionally at work (at least in my industry) and I would feel awkward going out with a group of friends if one of them dressed super inappropriately. If they're giving you shit maybe it's less about you and more about the dress code for the activities you meet around?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
  • Tangerine33 and iheartchurros like this

#3 Guest_THAISA_*

Guest_THAISA_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:23 PM

I think you/everyone should feel free to wear what you enjoy wearing, whether because it is comfortable, you like the style, or because it makes you feel good. You could be right that others are hostile because they don't feel 'free' to wear what you do. But regardless, try not to take it personally. I think when people judge it tends to come from a place of personal unhappiness/stress/dissatisfaction.  

I am 38 and I enjoy wearing things more geared towards a 20-something person, like crop tops, push up bras, skinny jeans, mini skirts. I swim in a skimpy two piece for lap swim when other people have mom-suits on. It's possible that this is related to my ED (wanting to show off my body) but I don't think about this/worry about this too much. I enjoy feeling sexy. I have a laid back job so it's not a big deal around the workplace, that I know of. 

Keep being you :)

• UnseelieDreams, lailai and Winterfae like this

#4 lailai

lailai

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:06 AM

I'm 35 and I dress my age for my job, mostly because it feels like dressing up and means more shopping. But in my free time, especially in summer, I still dress very much like a twenty-something.

Height: 5'6.5'' / 169 cm

HW:     151.7 lbs / 68.8 kg

LW:     114.4 lbs / 51.9 kg

SW:     136.7 lbs / 62.0 kg on 19 Dec

GW1:    132.1 lbs / 59.9 kg

GW2:    125.0 lbs / 56.7 kg

UGW:    121.3 lbs / 55.0 kg

Accountability thread

137 | 136 | 135 | 134 | 133 | 132

131 | 130 | 129 | 128 | 127 | 126 | 125 | 124 | 123 | 122 | 122 | 121

"Tomorrow is a new day with no calories in it... yet."

#5 tutifruitibooti

tutifruitibooti

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 December 2018 - 05:53 PM

I think it's important to note appropriateness is not defined by age when choosing outfits. Being professional at work doesn't mean you have to dress like 50 year old Karen in accounting. Ive seen many 30 something women in your typical uggs, lulus, and Abercrombie shirts that you see on 16 year olds. Just wear it after hours not to your 10am meeting lol
  • X13, iheartchurros and Nodoze like this

Challenges:

Fantasy Challenge (Jan 4 - Feb 28 2021)

Tutifruitibooti's Weight Loss Accountability #2

tumblr_mg295gDqJE1s2n5k4o1_500.gif

145 ---  130 --- 125 124 123 122 121 120 119 118 117 116 115

#6 Guest_ѕtаr_*

Guest_ѕtаr_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:09 PM

dress my age???  you mean ageless right?  (i'm 37 too!)

damn straight i dress how the fuck i want to.  god damn it i'm older now and i deserve to dress like no one has power over my life!

but i also dress for power too, can't seduce people with a lolita dress on.  but on my own time, magical lolita goth cat girl!  <3

• UnseelieDreams, lailai, BriarRosie and 6 others like this

#7 tbi

tbi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:14 PM

When I volunteer, I dress professionally (my hair is blue-green). I dress modestly because it's what I'm comfortable with.

When I go out I wear a hoodie and a pair of jeans yes, even in the summer. Never have been a fan of dressing up and at 38 I don't think anyone cares what I wear.

I won't judge someone by their clothes. We all just want to be comfortable and ourselves. More power to you if you love your body and want to show off!
  • lailai, Winterfae, soy_soy and 1 other like this

#8 This.is.me.now

This.is.me.now

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Locationin bed. Always in bed.

Posted 25 December 2018 - 10:25 PM

I love dressing my age! It gives me a sense of power. I try to find dresses that don't show my arms and I don't wear short dresses. I liken them to at least be at my knees. I want it to me at my collarbone. I have one pair of shorts for vacations. I also don't wear bikinis. I wish I could get away with dressing like museum woman without being called out for cultural appropriation. I'd love to wear a head covering. I wish hats and gloves were still in style!

• BriarRosie and WaterGoddess like this

Height 5'3

HW 164 2010

LW 104 2005

CW:110.2

GW 110

UGW 104

4272a5e2cd11343a181559539b77ea5b05604adf

#9 This.is.me.now

This.is.me.now

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Locationin bed. Always in bed.

Posted 25 December 2018 - 10:31 PM

I should also say I love the way lawyers dress. So professional and put together. That's the ideal to strive to.

Height 5'3

HW 164 2010

LW 104 2005

CW:110.2

GW 110

UGW 104

4272a5e2cd11343a181559539b77ea5b05604adf

#10 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15136 posts
  • LocationNot Flirting With You from The Twisted Kingdom

Posted 26 December 2018 - 12:19 PM

I'm still wearing goth clothes I bought when I was in my late teens.
I don't care what people think honestly. I'm not a typical 30-something so why would I dress up like something I'm not? If people don't like it I'm fine w that because I'd rather be "hated for what I am" and all that...
To be fair I am back at college and people probably think I'm in my 20's so I don't have any pressure to be professional for work or anything.

• OriginalContent, fite.or.dontfite, UnseelieDreams and 4 others like this

The Abyss: Through-the-Twisted-Kingdom
Fae's Fantastic Guide To Flirting: Fabulous Fuck-ups & How To Avoid Them (A.K.A Awkward Aspie Anecdotes & Appalling Alliteration)

Fae Tales & Spoken Word Poetryhttps://www.youtube.com/user/TheVioletRaven/
"I am a Titan. A Monolith. Nothing can stop me." ~ "Not finished yet. Still have work to do."

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#11 soy_soy

soy_soy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 08:15 AM

What is "dressing my age?" I wear scrubs in my professional life, but I wear athletic clothes or whatever the occasion.

I do me, which is an eclectic mix. I am not afraid to show my shoulders or whatever. Then again, I'm fairly heavily tattooed so my existance turns up noses.

HW: 160lb
CW: 140.8lb
GW: 135lb
UGW: 125lb
5'4" ~ Age: mid-30s

Lifelong Athlete; Jack of All Trades

#12 Dikkie84

Dikkie84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 06:01 AM

Lol nope, not at all. I used to care but I don't really anymore.

#13 TheBigRedMachine<3

TheBigRedMachine<3

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:04 PM

I think I dress like a bum.  I love being comfy so for me that means sweaters, sweatshirts, jeans or leggings, and usually scarves.

But not even cute casual, my sweaters are huge and I know they are not flattering to my body.

BUT sometimes I do want to dress feminine so I do have a lot of dresses but I just don't wear them often enough.  I do wish I dressed better for my husband's sake. 

However, the older I get the less I care.

Now I get why older people wear pants with a stretchy wasteband and shoes you just slip on! :) 

Weight: 

SW: 144.4 (around 1/13/2021)

CW: 141.8 (1/26/2021)

Highest weight: 178

Lowest weight: 110

"Stable" weight: 135-140

Current Goal = 120 pounds 

UGW = 110

**PSA - my user name is in reference to my favorite wrestler... starting to think it may be interpreted as something else... :)

"This is just a courtesy call, this is just a matter of policy.  This is just an act of kindness to let you know that your time is up" - Courtesy Call.  Sixx AM

#14 PrincessAbby

PrincessAbby

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7312 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:06 PM

26 year old female and I dress like a 16 year old boy.

Nobody says anything.

Would I like to dress like a lady my age? Totally.

Can I wear womens clothes without wanting the ground to open up and swallow me whole? Nope

• skinnyhumanoid, LoveJoyHopeCourageJustice and WaterGoddess like this

Days binge free: 1

Days sober: 317

Accountability:

Pounds/Inches Age: 28 Height: 5'6.5" 09/2018 SW 204

HW: 218 LW: 112 CW: 126 GW: 120

UGW: 103

WvmA8.gif

#15 magnolie

magnolie

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2552 posts
  • LocationLand of Elks and Wallflowers

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:11 PM

Do you dress your age?

Do you care if so?

I'm 37, admittingly i dress like a girly/feminine late teen/early 20ish style clothing & accessories etc

My friends that are girls seem to get on my case alot about it, rather hostile it seems really. Personally i feel its b/c they are mad that they feel they "have" to dress their age....for their lifestyles i suppose (jobs, to keep up w/ certain grouos they're involved in etc) & also they seem to cut me down Alot esp in summerwear. ~i dont comment on their choice of dressing so this rather upsets me. Other than it upsetting me a bit b/c they're suppose to be friends, i dont care about what the public etc thinks. Its the way i feel most comfortable & feel the most Me :)

I am 48 and I dress like a teen tomboy with super weird combinations of stripes and flower power and everything, hahahha. I couldn't give two sh*ts about what people think. I was very aware of my appearance until I was about 30 and then I stopped caring and it was soooo relieving!!!

HUUUGGSSS

• ChocoNat likes this

#16 lipglossier

lipglossier

Advanced Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Locationcyberspace

Posted 03 January 2019 - 05:16 PM

I definitely dress my age. I'm 13 and all I wear is baggy sweatshirts and leggings. I wish I could have the body to wear cute and trendy clothes but I'm way to insecure rn lol

insta-photo-share_1000002414.jpg

#17 BriarRosie

BriarRosie

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 January 2019 - 02:28 AM

I love dressing my age! It gives me a sense of power. I try to find dresses that don't show my arms and I don't wear short dresses. I liken them to at least be at my knees. I want it to me at my collarbone. I have one pair of shorts for vacations. I also don't wear bikinis. I wish I could get away with dressing like museum woman without being called out for cultural appropriation. I'd love to wear a head covering. I wish hats and gloves were still in style!

Omg. I am the same. I am very shy and can be downright agoraphobic. I have tried putting a scarf around my head and it looked nice and made me feel so much more secure, but yes, then I realized people wouldn't want me to. So I just stayed home. I do sometimes do that just for cold weather though and am only mildly aware I might look "offensive." Honestly, I don't even know what is offensive these days, there's such a long list of things.

Hgt: 5'6 1/4''

CW: 165

HW: 240

LW: 115

Pre-Goal: Under 200 - use $50 Kohl's gift card 

GW1: 185 - engagement ring/makeover/makeup

GW2: 155 - Start actually dressing well and looking cute. No more wearing baggy shit.

GW3: 140 - Able to wear cheap clothes comfortably (i.e. clothes from ANYWHERE)

UGW: 120 -  Get a high end wardrobe and have everything tailored to fit.

Buy a qi pao (Chinese traditional tight dress)

#18 BriarRosie

BriarRosie

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 January 2019 - 02:36 AM

dress my age???  you mean ageless right?  (i'm 37 too!)

damn straight i dress how the fuck i want to.  god damn it i'm older now and i deserve to dress like no one has power over my life!

but i also dress for power too, can't seduce people with a lolita dress on.  but on my own time, magical lolita goth cat girl!  <3

I used to always do lolita themed outfits for cosplay at the anime cons. But about 6 years ago I stopped going because things were so bad and then I gained 100 pounds all of a sudden due to the extreme depression and had to hack off all my hair also due to depression/lack of care, so I haven't been able to go for all this time. I am 31 now and like... I really want to cosplay as Chii or do like a lolita Chii (from Chobits.) Idk... lolita is just so easy to do. But maybe I'll have to come up with something else. Because a thirty something year old cannot cosplay an innocent or even not so innocent seductive youngster who entices old pedophiles, can she? (And I definitely cannot do Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop because of loose skin.) What to do, what to do... to work so hard for so long and then realize I've gotten too old to meet all these goals I've literally almost died for.

• StabithaHere and OriginalContent like this

Hgt: 5'6 1/4''

CW: 165

HW: 240

LW: 115

Pre-Goal: Under 200 - use $50 Kohl's gift card 

GW1: 185 - engagement ring/makeover/makeup

GW2: 155 - Start actually dressing well and looking cute. No more wearing baggy shit.

GW3: 140 - Able to wear cheap clothes comfortably (i.e. clothes from ANYWHERE)

UGW: 120 -  Get a high end wardrobe and have everything tailored to fit.

Buy a qi pao (Chinese traditional tight dress)

#19 sassygal

sassygal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

I’m 36, and I just wear what I like in my free time. I honestly don’t know how someone my age is expected to dress, nor do I care! I’ve always been fashion forward, but I don’t adopt every single trend that comes out. I’ve never had anyone make comments about my not dressing my age, but no one pins me as older than 28 either.

Professionally, I follow the dress code so I wear modest but stylish clothing. If I’m wearing fitted pants, then a looser top, if I’m wearing a fitted top, then I also wear a cardigan. I’m usually freezing though, so I have like 30 different cardigans...
  • Neversurrender417 and MissPiggy02 like this

#20 Neversurrender417

Neversurrender417

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:23 PM

Do you dress your age?

Do you care if so?

Clearly they are JEALOUS

• X13, klgrms and Sloanly like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users