Dress your age? - Page 2 - Age 30+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Dress your age?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 klgrms

klgrms

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:31 PM

#22 brownwaif

brownwaif

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:02 AM

I dress like a literal toddler who somehow got into their hippie-mom's hair dye. nobody even notices tbh. i say, dress however tf you want and get an amazing skin-care regimen so nobody can ever guess your age.

• Sloanly likes this

Stats:
Height: 5'10" (177.8 cm)
SW/HW:260 (117.9 kg)

CW: 252.4 lbs (114.5 kg) *sigh*
LW: 215.4 lbs (97.7 kg)

GW1: 240 lbs (108.9 kg)- by the end of Jan

reward: spa day

GW2: 220 lbs (99.8 kg)- by the end of Feb

reward: make-up

GW3: 200 lbs (90.7 kg) - - by the end of Mar
   reward: vacay (U.S.)

GW4: 180 lbs (81.6 kg) - before my Birthday (May)
   reward: shoe shopping spree

GW5: 160 lbs (72.5 kg) -- by the end of May
   reward: NEW WARDROBE
UGW: 150 lbs (68 kg)- by the end of Jun
   reward: international vacay

My Accountability

Tumblr:

toobigtolove
pocthinspo

MyFitnessPal: brownwaif

#23 pinkmoon

pinkmoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:59 PM

I'm 35 and I dress my age for my job, mostly because it feels like dressing up and means more shopping. But in my free time, especially in summer, I still dress very much like a twenty-something.

31 here, and exactly this. :) I particularly love tiny sun dresses.

And I do not care what other people think, they can go fly a kite.

• X13 likes this

31 ♡ 5'4"

hw:147+ lw:94 cw:138

gw1:130 gw2:120 gw3:115 ugw:110

y42zm6.png

giphy.gif

#24 X13

X13

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Locationquiet little mountain town

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:07 PM

I have been programmed to worry about this all the goddamn time and I am always 200% too extra or feeling half naked.

I definitely believe that you need to dress "appropriately" for whatever you're trying to do. If you're going to the gym wear gym clothes, if you're going to swim with sharks wear a wet suit, outer space- space suit. 

I dress in black. Everything. Inside and out. If I had to use condoms they'd be black. Black hair, dark makeup, platforms. My socks. I've toned it down quite a bit since being with my partner (because of their family) no more spike collars and black lips. It has me feeling halfway naked and unfinished. 

I don't feel free to dress the way I want. But I dress more like myself than like someone else. and I guess that's something. 

#25 loletaxeni

loletaxeni

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5465 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:35 AM

And how should someone in their 30s dress? Why couldn't we dress in pink or trendy clothes or whatever we want? Who sets the rules for what my age should wear? Does it change at the exact day of turning 40? Do I then have to buy a whole new wardrobe?

I'd love if everyone wore clothes that fit. That's all I care. Maybe decent clothes in work environment etc.
  • notslimkindashady likes this

#26 Lysanae

Lysanae

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:52 AM

I'm still wearing goth clothes I bought when I was in my late teens.
I don't care what people think honestly. I'm not a typical 30-something so why would I dress up like something I'm not? If people don't like it I'm fine w that because I'd rather be "hated for what I am" and all that...
To be fair I am back at college and people probably think I'm in my 20's so I don't have any pressure to be professional for work or anything.

I'm also still rocking the goth getups from high school. They're comfortably broken in after all these years of love
  • Winterfae likes this

#27 c'est_la_vie

c'est_la_vie

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in my head

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:58 AM

Dress however you want. Age is not what is used to be.

I dress my age, maybe older, but that's just my style. I like classic, simple looks. Some people say I'm too boring with my clothes, but it's what I like. Wear what you want.

• WaterGoddess likes this
a long way to go

#28 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15133 posts
  • LocationNot Flirting With You from The Twisted Kingdom

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:55 PM

I'm also still rocking the goth getups from high school. They're comfortably broken in after all these years of love

Exactly. I actually found a guy in my city who re-soles shoes and I managed to convince him to resole my New Rocks. They are not quite like the original sole, but he filled in like an inch of rubber either side where I wear the heel out unevenly on the outer edge of my foot. I never replace things if I can keep wearing them and repair them, my old black cords are like that too, the hems are pretty much made of all new patches, and they've been dyed so many times in the last 12 years but I still love them.

• Lysanae likes this

The Abyss: Through-the-Twisted-Kingdom
Fae's Fantastic Guide To Flirting: Fabulous Fuck-ups & How To Avoid Them (A.K.A Awkward Aspie Anecdotes & Appalling Alliteration)

Fae Tales & Spoken Word Poetryhttps://www.youtube.com/user/TheVioletRaven/
"I am a Titan. A Monolith. Nothing can stop me." ~ "Not finished yet. Still have work to do."

Stats  Challenges:

Spoiler

#29 Ginerva

Ginerva

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:56 AM

I'm 31 and my usual outfit consists of leggings and oversized sweaters (oversized tees in the warmer months) I dress professionally for work but don't care so in that way I dress my age. What even is dressing your age anyway, wear what makes you the most comfy and confident!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#30 JbLynn

JbLynn

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:55 AM

I would say 98% of the time I dress in whatever I feel like - usually that is workout clothes or sweatpants and a cozy sweatshirt. In the summer it's usually baggy cropped jeans and a black t-shirt. I work from home so I can get away with it... but the other 2% of the time when I need to look "professional" or fancy, I usually feel like I'm playing dress up in my mom's clothes, even though those clothes are probably more age appropriate. I love when other women my age look put together and professional - I just feel like an impostor when I try to do it.  

#31 Thegymbum

Thegymbum

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4782 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:15 AM

I confess I sometimes dress too “young”, and I think that’s in large part because it’s fucking hard to find stuff that fits that doesn’t come from the juniors/kids section lol.

I’ve never gotten any negative comments on what I’m wearing (other than “geez aren’t you cold”, which I get a lot because I work out too much and tend to get overheated when I exercise and the warmth sticks around, so I’m often running errands after the gym while still wearing a thin workout tank and leggings if not shorts even when it’s January haha). However, Ive discovered that people think I’m younger than I am (before grad school I went to med school for a gee years then fucked around in treatment for a few years so didn’t complete my PhD until I was in my 30’s, so I think even the people I work with assume I’m in my 20’s), and people tend I guess Km in my early/mid 20’s, so they probably think I AM dressing my age lol.

I don’t “go out” a lot these days, so I’m rarely in “going out clothes”, so for me it’s either workout clothes or more formal wear for big events... so less age-appropriate criteria?

I don’t always deny being in my mid 20’s if people don’t ask specifically (“howmokd do you think I am?” “Umm 23?” “Hahaha, thanks that’s sweet of you!!”, end of conversation).
H 5'7"
CW: 103lbs
LW: 72lbs
GW 2019: 95lbs
Ultimate: 88lbs

#32 Guest_wintersky_*

Guest_wintersky_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

Ill always wear whatever I want. And Im glad you do too. Its a joke that you can only wear certain things at a certain age.....personally I think its more about you can only wear certain things at a certain size *oops*

#33 MissPiggy02

MissPiggy02

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:16 AM

Women in their 30s are at a weird crossroad. We aren't old but we aren't young. If that makes sense lol. We are still beautiful tho!! And I wear whatever I want. Now I will say that there are some things that I know I am just too old for. And that's ok. But if I see a 34 year old wearing the same thing as my 13 year old daughter then I am like good for you. I wish I had that confidence :)

#34 Guest_tuospain_*

Guest_tuospain_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:57 PM

I think I've always dressed in my 50s. I wonder if I'll have to change at 60?

#35 ~Dimples~

~Dimples~

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationEastern US

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:02 PM

30 this year. No, I do not dress like someone in their 30's. Not generally. I spent a lot of my life not being able to wear the clothes that I like (for a variety of reasons) so I'm not about to be some super boring adult with the way I dress. Doesn't mean that I won't wear leggings and a t-shirt or something but I actually want to be stylish and feel young and trendy. I've never really understood women getting to a certain age and just being like "well, I give up on life"/" now I'm a washed up old hag who must dress matronly."

#36 LoveJoyHopeCourageJustice

LoveJoyHopeCourageJustice

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:25 PM

I guess I do actually (typical outfit is a corduroy jacket, casual shirt, jeans, brogues, and a dress watch) but I still read as 20-something because of my personality.

I agree that your friends sound like they're probably jealous!!

Another reason might be that people with a childlike nature are often mutually drawn to friends with a parental nature. If that's the dynamic you have with your friends, they might be being critical because they just want to help you better yourself and don't realise that they've overstepped your boundaries or that your idea of 'better' might be quite different.

It might help to explain that while you appreciate their wanting to help, style is a really personal thing for you and you prefer to make your own choices.

If temptation storms, or you fall upon the rocks of tribulation, look to the star: Call upon Mary!

If you are tossed by the waves of pride or ambition, detraction or envy, look to the star, call upon Mary.
If anger or avarice or the desires of the flesh dash against the ship of your soul, turn your eyes to Mary.
If troubled by the enormity of your crimes, ashamed of your guilty conscience, terrified by dread of the judgment,
you begin to sink into the gulf of sadness or the abyss of despair, think of Mary.
In dangers, in anguish, in doubt, think of Mary, call upon Mary. - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

They/them • 42 • Vegan • Doing the 'bodyfat percentage instead of weight' thing

22.5% 22% 21.5% 21% 20.5% 20% 19.5% 19% 18.5% 18% 17.5% 17% 16.5% 16%

gallery_1227469_64903_161325.jpgI want a body like this... and I have exec dysfunction. Wish me luck!!

NEW Accountability

#37 themountainsarecalling

themountainsarecalling

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:52 PM

Being in the public sector, and quite young for my position (mid twenties) I dress much older than I am. Taking special care to be very professional and polished. George Clooney’s wife is my fashion idol.

I don’t necessarily do this for anyone but myself, as I’m a firm believer that small things can make a big impact. Also it helps me to feel more confident in myself. I will add, that I'm a thrift store addict so shopping it up is part of the allure as well.

That being said I’d never call someone out for the way they dress. Sounds like they’re insecure af.

• medecin likes this

#38 LoveJoyHopeCourageJustice

LoveJoyHopeCourageJustice

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1066 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:56 PM

I used to always do lolita themed outfits for cosplay at the anime cons. But about 6 years ago I stopped going because things were so bad and then I gained 100 pounds all of a sudden due to the extreme depression and had to hack off all my hair also due to depression/lack of care, so I haven't been able to go for all this time. I am 31 now and like... I really want to cosplay as Chii or do like a lolita Chii (from Chobits.) Idk... lolita is just so easy to do. But maybe I'll have to come up with something else. Because a thirty something year old cannot cosplay an innocent or even not so innocent seductive youngster who entices old pedophiles, can she? (And I definitely cannot do Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop because of loose skin.) What to do, what to do... to work so hard for so long and then realize I've gotten too old to meet all these goals I've literally almost died for.

I don't know what you look like, but I think plenty of 30+-year-olds could pull off Chii. I think a lot of it is personality, and the fact that you even want to play that kind of character suggests that you still have the right kind of heart.

I had similar worries about cosplaying as Luke Skywalker, because I'm not a man, and of course having an ED I was convinced that my body would look hugely, grossly wrong and bring shame on the very concept of Luke. Actually, I looked and felt fantastic. It was magical, I felt like I WAS Luke, and the experience really changed me. If you have the heart to identify with a character and the desire to play them, you deserve to have that experience. <3

If temptation storms, or you fall upon the rocks of tribulation, look to the star: Call upon Mary!

If you are tossed by the waves of pride or ambition, detraction or envy, look to the star, call upon Mary.
If anger or avarice or the desires of the flesh dash against the ship of your soul, turn your eyes to Mary.
If troubled by the enormity of your crimes, ashamed of your guilty conscience, terrified by dread of the judgment,
you begin to sink into the gulf of sadness or the abyss of despair, think of Mary.
In dangers, in anguish, in doubt, think of Mary, call upon Mary. - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

They/them • 42 • Vegan • Doing the 'bodyfat percentage instead of weight' thing

22.5% 22% 21.5% 21% 20.5% 20% 19.5% 19% 18.5% 18% 17.5% 17% 16.5% 16%

gallery_1227469_64903_161325.jpgI want a body like this... and I have exec dysfunction. Wish me luck!!

NEW Accountability

#39 MmeFate

MmeFate

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1016 posts
  • LocationMiddle Earth

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:27 PM

I wear comfy, lazying around clothes at home and feminine maybe "girly" clothes when going out. At work, I used to dress older but it made me feel like I was playing dress up with my mom's clothes in order to fit in and move up. I stopped caring though and do my own thing now. I probably dress like early 20's even though I'm turning 29 soon. I guess getting 99% of my clothes at the thrift store means I have no idea what's in fashion for the most part anyways. I don't like fast, cheap fashion and a throwaway consumerist mentality and most people who dress the same like zombies are trying to keep up with the Jones' and are offended you're not and thinking for yourself is my guess *shrugs*

#40 Guest_Dying2beme_*

Guest_Dying2beme_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:26 PM

Hi everyone! 

I am actually about to celebrate my 30th in a few months and everyone has an opinion of me and how I should dress. The company that I work for is casual, (I am in training to hopefully take over one day) but my coworkers get on to me about wearing jeans and not doing my make up and all that jazz. 

I am pretty tom boyish and unadventerous with clothes because I have no idea how to dress myself so black, gray and blue are my go to colors and a slightly dressy shirt with earrings is feminine to me. 

I have been under a lot of pressure lately to be what everyone else wants. (My mom says I am not a pretty girl without long hair... I hate it and want to cut it all off again, but I am afraid that everyone will hate me.) I also have been feeling the pressure to wear make up, nail polish and all that girly crap that I am not good at and don't enjoy. 

I feel like I am losing myself and that really sucks. How do you have the confidence to be yourself and everyone else can screw themselves?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users