Dress your age? - Page 3 - Age 30+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Dress your age?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 River_Song

River_Song

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:35 PM

I pretty much live in my flared jeans and hoodies year round. If I have to go somewhere other people are wearing dress clothes (not formal wear) I'll put on a fancy sweater with my niceest dark jeans. I had to go to a wedding this summer and was required to wear a fancy dress and it was SO awkward since I never wear dresses ( always felt too fat for them and like I have unsightly man calves). Couldn't wait to get back home and into my jeans.
Hello Sweetie!

Heigh: 5'7"
SW/HW: 195lbs
CW: 124lbs❌
G1: 121lbs❌
G2: 118lbs✅
G3: 110lbs
UG: 103lbs

#42 essayyayy

essayyayy

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1611 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:43 PM

I don’t really know how a 30 year old dresses, so probably not lol

I’m mostly a jeans and T-shirt/hoodie person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#43 Sunshower

Sunshower

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:21 PM

I dress business casual at work and then like a kid (kawaii design inspired dresses, cats in space, Star Wars shirts, etc.) at home. That is, until my IOP group started giving me shit for it all the time. Now I'm trying to dress closer to my age.

relapsing

5'8"
hw: 164
lw: 109.8
cw: 157

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

#44 🇮​🇳​🇦​🇿🇺​🇲​🇦​

🇮​🇳​🇦​🇿🇺​🇲​🇦​

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Location5.5

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:03 AM

I dress comfy, so yeah I really don't dress my age. I want to be happy with what I am wearing and not feel stifled. 

But then again, I wear a uniform to work so it's not like I can dress up for there. 

loѕe weιgнт, gaιn love

#45 0o0

0o0

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:52 PM

Slightly off topic because I'm a guy but I still usually dress like I did in college, I need to ditch the polos and cargo shorts haha.

But also now that I'm losing weight I'm trying to find more slim fitting men's clothes, but that kind of limits me to the European hipster style stuff, starting to get sightly young for my age group (32) but I can still pull it off.

So why not?

#46 lylieanna

lylieanna

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:05 PM

I definitely do not dress my age, though I can if I need to for professional meetings and events. The thing is, when I tell people I'm 30, I have to show them my driver's license for them to believe me. Most people say I'm 21, and they only say that because they know I'm old enough to drink. Otherwise, most of them say they would have guessed 19 or 20. So I never get crap about how I dress because I appear to dress my age since I don't look my age.

#47 TherionDeThanatos

TherionDeThanatos

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:45 AM

I mostly wear gym clothes, so I am not sure if there is much of an age appropriate difference.

I dress professionally for work, but that's also not really age related.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

Accountability

HW: 179.6

LW: 129

CW: 152.6

5'7"

#48 Rabid_Fox

Rabid_Fox

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:38 PM

And how should someone in their 30s dress? Why couldn't we dress in pink or trendy clothes or whatever we want? Who sets the rules for what my age should wear? Does it change at the exact day of turning 40? Do I then have to buy a whole new wardrobe?

I'd love if everyone wore clothes that fit. That's all I care. Maybe decent clothes in work environment etc.

Right? I think as soon as you hit 30 people expect you to dress frumpy and "old". And yeah the second midnight hits on your 30th B day,you better be in that closet with a trash bag getting rid of all your punk, goth, cosplay, metal, Lolita (what ever alt fashion you happen to be into) clothes. Pfft. I agree. Dress work (or situation appropriate) and the rest of the time wear what you love and what makes you feel comfy and happy.

#49 cokezerofiend

cokezerofiend

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 06:57 AM

I should also say I love the way lawyers dress. So professional and put together. That's the ideal to strive to.

lol I’m a lawyer and I dress more like I should be in Clueless than Suits/ Ally McBeal🤦🏻‍♀️

#50 Blackdream

Blackdream

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:41 AM

Do you dress your age?

If not, do you get any shit about it from anyone?

Do you care if so?

I'm 37, admittingly i dress like a girly/feminine late teen/early 20ish style clothing & accessories etc

My friends that are girls seem to get on my case alot about it, rather hostile it seems really. Personally i feel its b/c they are mad that they feel they "have" to dress their age....for their lifestyles i suppose (jobs, to keep up w/ certain grouos they're involved in etc) & also they seem to cut me down Alot esp in summerwear. ~i dont comment on their choice of dressing so this rather upsets me. Other than it upsetting me a bit b/c they're suppose to be friends, i dont care about what the public etc thinks. Its the way i feel most comfortable & feel the most Me :)

I am exactly the same.

It's like I don't get what I look like.
Sometimes I think ... I am probably too old to wear that. And yet sometimes I feel like I look absolutely ridiculous wearing strict formal mom's clothes. It's like people look normal in it but I look like I am wearing a carnival costume.

And yes, ultimately I wear what I feel comfortable in.
I think I'll look less weird if I look at ease than fidgetting all the time

I wanna STRETCH AND SLUMP on the guy next to me !!!

original.gif

#51 serotonin-c

serotonin-c

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1556 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:58 PM

Is there such a thing anymore?
I wear what I like I've never thought about age appropriateness, to be fair I've never really worried about following current fashions either. X

#52 p0et1c

p0et1c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:41 PM

34 here. I wear flowing dress shirts and tights with dress flats at work, usually with a cardigan because I'm always cold.

At home I dress in... probably the same thing except the shirt becomes an oversized sweater in winter or a long t-shirt in summer.

I dont think my style has an age. I see 20s and 40+ wearing similar styles.

#53 Alethia

Alethia

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:20 AM

I am pretty childish in how I dress. I just want a big hoodie and sneaks 200% of the time. I literally struggled to align w business casual at work. Best part is I feel confident I could dress a motherfucker w some style, I just don't apply my sense of style in my own life. After all, I would never think it looks good on me anyway.

#54 Thinner092

Thinner092

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4654 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 03:25 AM

Jean are timeless. Dresses are too, as long as they’re not baby dolls. 🤣

I guess I dress young but being small I can get away with it I think. I know I look way younger than my age. It’s catching up now in my face though so I guess I should adjust some things. But in casual weekend time I wear whatever I want without apology.

#55 NLP

NLP

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2488 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 03:51 AM

Sounds like yr friends are jealous of your spirit and your style

I'm my own person and have ALWAYS dressed to suit just me.  Always appropriately I will say, like for work, visiting grannies, going clubbing whatever it is, but always to suit my style.   And yeah, people knock what they don't understand.  Fuck em x

Functioning dysfunctionally

#56 Guest_tabouret_*

Guest_tabouret_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:09 PM

#57 Guest_wintersky_*

Guest_wintersky_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:43 PM

I dont care about dressing for my age cause I think you can wear whatever you want

for me, it's more about dressing for your size.

If you're 60 and got a banging bod, then you wear your skimpy bikini

• Alethia likes this

#58 skinnyjeans00

skinnyjeans00

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:36 AM

I'm 32 and I have no idea what it even means to dress my age. I wear professional clothes at work then jeans, converse, and tshirts on the weekends. Then again if I was thinker I'd be wearing skinny jeans and shirts too lol.

#59 Sloanly

Sloanly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:58 AM

I'm sure your friends care about you alot but I'm inclined to think some kind of jealousy is at play..maybe even subconsciously. Why would they care otherwise?

Truly confident people don't feel the need to undermine the confidence of others. PS I am 30 and share clothes with my 14 year old cousin, I'm a total fashion victim haha

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
  • Thinner092 and cokezerofiend like this

#60 neverending_

neverending_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:19 AM

I dress like a 60s flight attendant. Always have and always will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • .willow. and WaterGoddess like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users