Dress your age? - Page 4 - Age 30+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Dress your age?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#61 .willow.

.willow.

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • LocationA Reality Marble

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:41 PM

I used to always do lolita themed outfits for cosplay at the anime cons. But about 6 years ago I stopped going because things were so bad and then I gained 100 pounds all of a sudden due to the extreme depression and had to hack off all my hair also due to depression/lack of care, so I haven't been able to go for all this time. I am 31 now and like... I really want to cosplay as Chii or do like a lolita Chii (from Chobits.) Idk... lolita is just so easy to do. But maybe I'll have to come up with something else. Because a thirty something year old cannot cosplay an innocent or even not so innocent seductive youngster who entices old pedophiles, can she? (And I definitely cannot do Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop because of loose skin.) What to do, what to do... to work so hard for so long and then realize I've gotten too old to meet all these goals I've literally almost died for.

Do it anyway, man.

There's a place at cons for every loli. (And fat male sailor scouts). One of my friends has been a thin loli, a morbidly obese loli, a young loli, an old loli and everywhere in between.

Unless you really don't want to. Then don't. But if it's what you really love, then go find a con with an older crowd base and cosplay your pants off. (DragonCon comes to mind if you're US based. I go every year. I'm super shy and don't really dress up but man... there are people of all sizes and shapes strutting their stuff and NO ONE GIVES A DAMN!).

Edit: And I have replied to a super old post. Apologies!!!

Reply still stands. Go to DragonCon. Hang out with us freaks. No one will notice how fat/skinny, young/old, cool/inept, scantily clad/covered you are.
  • Thinner092 likes this

"But it was my integrity that was important. Is that so selfish? It sells for so little, but it's all we have left in this place. It is the very last inch of us... but within that inch we are free."

#62 .willow.

.willow.

Omniscient

• Members
  • 3707 posts
  • LocationA Reality Marble

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:16 AM

I dress in scrubs for work, so even I can't screw that up.

Personally, my goal is for the neighborhood children to think I'm a crazy cat lady hedgewitch. I need to up my game. Being a gay lady who dresses to the stereotype (tank tops, hoodies, flannels, cargo pants, soccer attire) and has an absolute giddy love of a-line dresses isn't helping my profile.

Plus my housemates keep cosplaying Ghostbusters and MCU Superheroes and now all the kiddos love us.

Looking scary is just. So. Much. Effort.

(This is partially a joke. I love kids. But I totally wouldn't mind being the weird lady everyone just kinda left alone).
  • Thinner092 and Julie Newmar like this

"But it was my integrity that was important. Is that so selfish? It sells for so little, but it's all we have left in this place. It is the very last inch of us... but within that inch we are free."

#63 Sparkling_Diamonds

Sparkling_Diamonds

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 07 September 2020 - 03:21 PM

I’m 38 and I shop at H&M, banana republic, Zara, and mostly at the mall. I feel like I should dress older but I guess I’ll wait until I’m 40.
  • English_Rose likes this

#64 English_Rose

English_Rose

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1240 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:05 AM

I’m 38 and I shop at H&M, banana republic, Zara, and mostly at the mall. I feel like I should dress older but I guess I’ll wait until I’m 40.

I shop at these stores for the price. you can find adult, tailored, office type stuff from time to time. Actually Banana Republic has a lot of grown up stores I believe their target market is 30+ if I'm not mistaken ( I used to work in retail and someone told me this) 

Highest weight : 145

Current weight : 135

GW1: 135 

GW2: 130

GW3: 125

GW4: 120

#65 hissillylittlegirl

hissillylittlegirl

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:47 PM

Single color scrubs for work, but sometimes a cute patterned longer sleeved shirt underneath. I wear all kinds of things outside of work though, half the time I'm stealing my husband's workout shorts and wearing a hoodie, the other half I'm dressed like I give a damn and I wear dresses, skirts, etc but not usually super professional ones. I think I probably dress like a 20-something and I'm 37. 

#66 fayerz

fayerz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:52 PM

Just because we're over 30 doesn't mean we can't experiment with fashion. Dressing your age doesn't mean dressing in office wear. I mean yes it means less graphic tees and ripped jeans but there's a lot that's included in "age dressing". 

• Darlington likes this

HW: 170

LW: 93

CW: 140

GW: 105

#67 Journeytothin

Journeytothin

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:09 AM

I do get looks sometimes. I like steampunk, goth, and kawaii so I have a really "strange" array of clothes sometimes. No one really will say shit to me though, because I will go apeshit on them. I am the type that when I'm 80 I will have hot pink hair wearing leather or some shit. I believe you can wear what you want no matter the age.  Plus people in my life that feel that they need to judge me on what I wear would be cut out pretty quick or learn real quick to just say nothing.

• Darlington likes this

You can look in the mirror everyday wishing you had a better body, OR you can do something about it! It's not going to be easy but it WILL be worth it! Always remember nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!

#68 English_Rose

English_Rose

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1240 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 October 2020 - 06:31 PM

I am really making an effort to dress more tailored and classic, but still youngish, because I am still young. I like 90s revival stuff,but I also do leather leggings with blouses, riding boots or heels and tailored coats/blazers. Also I'm starting to do more tailored pants instead of denim. 

#69 Morrigan

Morrigan

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 7527 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 03:56 PM

I dress however I like. It's a bit crazy and extra at times but I really need to express myself! My style hasn't changed much since I was a teen and I don't really want it to.

My work place has a liberal dress policy too so I don't have to worry too much. I get plenty of judgy looks from the older crowd but god conformity is so damn boring I'm judging them right back lol.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
6c3402883feb35905f092e2aba0015c3.gif

#70 ѕℓεερу ѕɦiɓε

ѕℓεερу ѕɦiɓε

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1295 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 04:06 PM

I dress however I want, but my style has kind of a futuristic/cyber/goth professional vibe?? Literally get mistaken as an undercover cop at work, and everyone tells me I look like I just crawled out of an assassin's creed game lmao. I can dress however I want at work too because I'm AP, so it's literally my job to blend in with customers.

I'm still in my 20s, but I don't think style has an age limit. I friggin love when I see older people with alternative styles, piercings, tattoos, dyed hair, etc.

It's badass imo, and that unapologetic confidence is inspiring to me.

[ Sent from your mom's phone ]
  • Morrigan likes this

tpPuxQu.png

🖤

#71 Hamsandwich

Hamsandwich

The Archivist (MPA’s official mermaid)

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19963 posts
  • LocationUnder the sea

Posted 11 December 2020 - 02:08 AM

How?? I can only buy clothes in the kids section. 

But nobody gives me crap about it I am really small (as in short) and I look extremely young, and it works for me. 

​I swear its not by choice

But ana has this voice

It calms me down

It gives me purpose

Rage Torture Blog

giphy.gif

#72 armythin

armythin

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 01:46 PM

I pretty much live in my flared jeans and hoodies year round. If I have to go somewhere other people are wearing dress clothes (not formal wear) I'll put on a fancy sweater with my niceest dark jeans. I had to go to a wedding this summer and was required to wear a fancy dress and it was SO awkward since I never wear dresses ( always felt too fat for them and like I have unsightly man calves). Couldn't wait to get back home and into my jeans.

Love your username. That is all.

For collarbones, thigh gaps, and no waist. Till i'm the picture in my head.

CW: 160

GW1:145

GW3: 120

UGW: 117

#73 Marybetty

Marybetty

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3438 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 11:39 PM

Late to the party but in 44 and I wear whatever the fuck I want ... life’s nii oh it certainly too short and IMO they probably just jealous you look so young 😍
  • uselessassholec: likes this

#74 gracieux

gracieux

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 09:29 PM

Life's too short to dress according to someone else's standards. You have to dress in whatever way makes you feel confident. 

Female 30 years old 

HW: (BMI 19.5)

LW: (BMI 14.6)

CW: (BMI 18.0)

#75 English_Rose

English_Rose

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1240 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 December 2020 - 03:09 PM

I've already chimed in earlier but I'm making an effort to swap more twenty something clothes for more "adult" items . For example:

Switching from jeans to tailored trousers

Switching from hoodies to pullover sweaters and cardigans (trying to focus on cashmere or good quality)

Switching from short skirts/dresses to pencil skirts/dresses

Switching from Tshirts to short sleeve blouses/sweaters

At least some of the time. I've started wearing pearls too (I'm aware how old lady this sounds but I don't care, I love it) 

I'm wearing lower heels more often too, when previously I was huge high heels girl. 

Oh, and also wearing more neutral as opposed to loud colours. 

I've also cut my hair into a long bob, and mostly sticking to short french manicures or red/dark burgundy polish. 

#76 uselessassholec:

uselessassholec:

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2049 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 03:36 PM

No we have DID so , we have all kind's age's of alters so in that respect can dress like a 5-50 year old mostly

-not using anymore-

#77 /magic.bird./

/magic.bird./

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:18 PM

Yeah I’m assuming those “friends” are jealous.

I know for my parents, they’re pretty conservative. I’m a nurse, but I’ll dress how I want when I’m not in a professional setting. I once came home with shorts (I rarely wear shorts) and they were cut offs. That was a REALLY big deal to my parents because they feel that since I’m a working professional, I should look the part. I guess all times haha. So I never wear shorts around them anymore (or again really..)
It was a REALLY big deal also when they found out I have a large tattoo on my arm (I normally always wear modestly around them).

#78 Marjaneh

Marjaneh

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
  • LocationIstanbul, not Constantinople

Posted 21 December 2020 - 11:25 AM

I usually wear vintage, so I tend to look like some bootleg, early 1960s Betty Draper-style housewife. 

I would actually like to dress older than my age. I love glamorous, "old lady" clothes and can't wait to age into an intimidating Chanel tweeds and pearls-clad Grande Dame. 

BMI ~ 14.9

Height ~ 5'10''

~ I just know that something good is going to happen. I don't know when, but just saying it could even make it happen. ~

#79 MPAJes123!

MPAJes123!

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:00 AM

No way! As soon as I have a flat stomach I’m going to show it off!

5'9"

HW:185

LW: 110

CW:153

GW:125

UGW:115

#80 blood.like.mercury

blood.like.mercury

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 08:16 AM

I was obsessed with clothes and fashion. Loved to dress nice, but comfy for work. I haven’t touched any of those clothes in over a year and have accumulated quite the sweatpant collection. I work remotely so I will probably go back to nicer shirts but ain’t nobody gonna take my joggers from me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users