can someone please explain this disorder to me? - Pica Disorder - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

can someone please explain this disorder to me?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_anonia130_*

Guest_anonia130_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:38 PM

I dint mean to be rude just trying to understand bc i just found out about it. Why do you feel the need to eat objects? Is it bc you are hungry and are scared to eat food or is it to loose weight? do you loose weight?
sorry if this ofends anyone im just trying to inform myself honestly

#2 The Flower of Carnage

The Flower of Carnage

NAIGHT BUS

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11305 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:40 PM

i think for some people it's due to a pre existing nutritional deficiency say, iron deficiency and people go looking for objects and things that have that element

Tᴀʟ | 25 |Aᴜsᴛʀᴀʟɪᴀ

Lowest BMI: 10.9

Highest BMI: 20+

Current BMI: 12's

d5cppi3-b97d47c2-8a5b-45ad-bde8-8434b57a

ask me stuff

insta

accountability/pics

#3 blood_orange-danee2

blood_orange-danee2

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:48 PM

hmm, well pica can be almost anything

as a kid, maybe i had it? i ate paper all the time!! no idea why! but all the boxcar children books and nancy drew and american girl and what-not all had strips torn off the bottom. See, i also loooooved reading! i read all the time! I just also ate the books, too. 

mom finally found out and made me stop/or i stopped gradually on my own as i got older.  another sister also ate books too, though, so not sure if pica or we were just weird, bored kids. :P 

but now, i know exactly what different kinds of papers taste like!  Crayon wrappers and party streamer are really vile and toxic tasting.  Library receipts are bitter and not good. Normal white copy paper is okkayyyy...the best is the half recycled off-white paper that kid paperbacks were printed in.  

maybe i just like chewing things. I ate my fingernails to bits and my hands were always terrible as a kid, too. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1-flowers-butterfly.gif Someday, a beautiful garden of my own....when i am done dreaming!    

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

#4 Guest_érable_*

Guest_érable_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:50 PM

as a kid, I used to eat seashells and sand. I ate barbie shoes and pennies and other odd items. I can't explain why I did it, but it was comforting to eat those things... especially seashells. I remember breaking off tiny pieces of a conch shell my parents had on display and being excited to eat them. That happened up until I was around seven, and I'm not sure why I stopped either!

#5 Onamissiontobethin

Onamissiontobethin

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:56 AM

hmm, well pica can be almost anything

as a kid, maybe i had it? i ate paper all the time!! no idea why! but all the boxcar children books and nancy drew and american girl and what-not all had strips torn off the bottom. See, i also loooooved reading! i read all the time! I just also ate the books, too.

mom finally found out and made me stop/or i stopped gradually on my own as i got older. another sister also ate books too, though, so not sure if pica or we were just weird, bored kids. :P

but now, i know exactly what different kinds of papers taste like! Crayon wrappers and party streamer are really vile and toxic tasting. Library receipts are bitter and not good. Normal white copy paper is okkayyyy...the best is the half recycled off-white paper that kid paperbacks were printed in.

maybe i just like chewing things. I ate my fingernails to bits and my hands were always terrible as a kid, too.

Omg me too! I know exactly what you mean! Slightly bitter and grainy with an old tea taste, but it is soooo good. And dissolves so fast. Lol all my books have the corners torn out, the front and back blank pages, the about the author bits, dedication and copyright. If it's not part of the story it's mine. 📔📕📖📗📘📙📚📓📒📃📜📄. Lol. Also a big fan of tissues and notebook paper, candle wax, (not the soy kind, it's smooshy) the skin on my fingers, lips, and inside my cheeks, and my nails.

#6 Onamissiontobethin

Onamissiontobethin

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:58 AM

Also used to eat rubber bands, whole pencils, lead wood, eraser, and metal binding. And the little glue thing that credit cards come stuck to the paper with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users