Why does anyone use laxatives? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Why does anyone use laxatives?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Dannymine

Dannymine

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:31 PM

I do NOT mean this in a condescending way AT ALL. I’m genuinely curious...back a few years ago I read the whole “use lax to lose weight” myth on some dumb ed site and I used them a few times and it was miserable and I wasn’t really losing so I did some actual research and basically everyone, including a lot of ed sites, admit they don’t work.
But I still see a lot of people on mpa and other places using them so I was wondering, do they work for you? Or is it more to get food out because you don’t like it in you, regardless of weight loss?
Again, I hope this doesn’t come across as rude. I’m sure everyone has their reasons, I just wanted to know if some people would share theirs :)
  • Emonstrocity, wtfat and PaperThinGangster like this
CW: 124
GW: 115
5’9

#2 rozz.

rozz.

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:32 PM

it doesnt help your weightloss at all but it can help you get rid of excess weight from...yknow, shit. since we dont shit a lot. since we dont eat. yeah, were full of shit. some of us dont want to be. therefore? laxatives.

also some people are genuinely deluded into thinking it helps. spoiler: it doesnt.

• Teaquick, Adassai, Avocadotoast435 and 6 others like this

CW: WHO GIVES A SHIT LBS

tumblr_inline_q53guxgAOW1umwvcd_500.gif

#3 dietpepsee

dietpepsee

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:39 PM

It provides something like immediate relief, I guess. You know it's not really making you lose real weight, just water weight. But if you take them, get everything out, and you see the number on the scale go down, you feel a lot better. At least that was the case with me. I try not to use them any more.

• WreckedCastles, Hazle Weatherfield, Avocadotoast435 and 3 others like this

SW:242lbs 

CW:169.6 

GW1:142lbs 

GW2:132lbs 

GW3:122lbs 

UGW:100lbs 

#4 pillsandbones

pillsandbones

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:40 PM

I use them after a binge only. When I'm restricting, I consume only foods high in fiber and a lot of coffee so I don't have a problem getting bowel movements.
  • Thinmama92, Meraja and Lilith497 like this
Bea.

5'1

SW/HW: 146 lbs
CW: 82 lbs
UGW: RECOVERY

#5 i m p m o n

i m p m o n

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13793 posts
  • Locationright there.

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:55 PM

when you've used them a few times consistently and hopefully found ones that dont give you horrible reactions, the awkward hour of running to the bathroom is worth just not feeling heavy food in your stomach. it becomes so addicting because you start feeling like any food weight in you is horribly uncomfortable and it's all you'll be able to think about once you've gotten used to the relief of lax.

• alwaysjelly, Avocadotoast435, Marine and 2 others like this

5'3 / bmi of i'm skinnee / if you write a novel i ain't reading that shit

twitter / fat fucking ego / babble

i'm schizoid and autistic so take from that what you will

#6 Cowaries

Cowaries

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:04 PM

It has always confused me as well, because I've always assumed that by the time food passes through your digestive tract, and reaches your anus, you've absorbed whatever amount of nutrients you were going to absorb, and so simply pushing more out always seemed pointless, though admittedly I did try it for a short while, until I started farting a lot, and really loud too, so I stopped due to embarrassment. though one person did tell me they actually shat out undigested food using lax, witch kinda makes me want to try it again.

#7 DenialsAB*tch

DenialsAB*tch

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:40 PM

Because anorexia makes it super hard to take a shit. Your intestines get lazy when they're not expecting to do much work and while I don't eat a ton volume-wise, what I do eat builds up.

I honestly don't use them much, but if I haven't pooped in like 4 days, it helps.
  • thinning.gab likes this

#8 DeadGirlDying

DeadGirlDying

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:46 PM

Yeah what everyone else is saying...they have rarely made me loose even water weight, but when you haven't had a shit in a whole week you can get desperate.  I've also used them to punish myself for binging.  Like I know they won't make up for the binge but I feel a little less likely to binge if I know I'll be up all night with cramps.

• Avocadotoast435, DenialsAB*tch, anotherrelapse11 and 1 other like this

"I destroyed my body for a peace of mind I never got"

#9 MindOverFatter

MindOverFatter

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4759 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:53 PM

As a post-binge punishment for myself I take a lot of lax so I'm totally miserable all day the next day.

Or if I'm hella constipated it helps

#10 Dannymine

Dannymine

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:19 PM

Ah, makes sense. That’s kind of what I figured, that it was more about the empty feeling than anything. Thanks for all the answers!
5’9

#11 Guest_sonofabitch_*

Guest_sonofabitch_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:20 PM

I'm trying to stop using them, because I know they can really fuck with your digestive system. I only loose water weight, but it's just really addicting to see the number on the scale drop. I'm scared to weigh myself if I haven't taken them, because I can just imagine the food I've eaten sitting in my stomach and I don't want it on the scale.

#12 Dannymine

Dannymine

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

I'm trying to stop using them, because I know they can really fuck with your digestive system. I only loose water weight, but it's just really addicting to see the number on the scale drop. I'm scared to weigh myself if I haven't taken them, because I can just imagine the food I've eaten sitting in my stomach and I don't want it on the scale.

Yeah that makes sense. It does sound scary but I’m sure once your weight stabilizes it will get easier as you get used to it. That’s so awesome you are trying to quit, good luck I’m sure you can do it 😊
5’9

#13 toola

toola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:41 PM

I thought it was commonly accepted that they did help? now i'm confused. I've never used them myself.

#14 Dannymine

Dannymine

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:20 PM

I thought it was commonly accepted that they did help? now i'm confused. I've never used them myself.

See that’s why I asked...it seems to be super popular on eating disorder sites yet when you google and look for actual info there is a lot of proof it does nothing (except mess up your digestive system). MPA is nice because everyone is really honest about their experiences and won’t do the “lie because it’s unhealthy so you shouldn’t” thing, and it was on here I started hearing that they didn’t work in the first place.
So good to know.
5’9

#15 overthegardenwall

overthegardenwall

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationsatan's arsehole

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:22 PM

i guess i kind of crave the feeling of being hungry/not feeling full. plus, yknow, constipation.

• Dannymine likes this

✩ your courage was a small coal that you kept swallowing 

may; she/her; 5'6

cw: 111.8 | gw: 115 | gw2: 110 | ugw: 100(?)

may hearts: ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

#16 Prim Poppy

Prim Poppy

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2588 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:30 PM

I only use them after a binge in an attempt to flatten out my abdomen.
  • Dannymine likes this

#17 Perfunctory Cinnamon Roll

Perfunctory Cinnamon Roll

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:51 PM

As far as my research got me when I used to use them a lot, it's sort of a myth that they don't help at all. Food eaten but "ejected" by laxatives isn't necessarily entirely processed, so some calories are "skipped." The amount is almost possible to tell at a given instance though, seeing how finnicky and unpredictable digestion is.

Hard-diving back into it all.

Height: 1.74 m.

Current weight: 85 kg. GW/UGW: 70 / 65 kg. [95 94 93 92 91 90 89 88 87 86 85 84 83 82 81 80 79 78 77 76 75 74 73 72 71 70 69 68 67 66 65 64 63 62 61 60].

Lowest weight: 60.9 kg (July 2016) BMI 20.11. (I was ripped, though)

Highest weight: 95 kg (April 2019) BMI 31.38.

I lift (1RM, extrapolated from 15 reps):

[Bench Press]: 75 kg.

[Deadlift]: 90 kg.

[Overhead Press]: 37.5 kg.

[Squat]: 75 kg.

I run:

[42 km]: To be determined.

[21 km]: To be determined.

[10 km]: 57:00 (Sep 2019).

[5 km]: 28:30 (Sep 2019).

[1 min]: 16.0 km/h.

I ran:

[42 km]: To be determined.

[21 km]: 1:47:32 (August 2017).

[10 km]: 42:21 (Dec 2016).

[5 km]: 21:06 (Jan 2017).

[1 min]: 18.2 km/h.

#18 skinnybabyboy

skinnybabyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Locationhell

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:13 PM

after a binge to help feel empty again, and so i dont weigh more (bc of the shit) the next day

weight.png

#19 jakkeesenley

jakkeesenley

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:32 PM

i dont lose weight from laxatives but they help me not gain weight. like if i go over my calories for a day and have laxatives i usually dont gain as much as i usually would 

#20 OkayAgain

OkayAgain

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:38 PM

Restricting makes me constipated as hell and I love weighing myself after cause I'll go down a pound or two

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users