Why does anyone use laxatives? - Page 2 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Why does anyone use laxatives?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Skinnyminny95_*

Guest_Skinnyminny95_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:22 AM

It helped me lose weight

Those who say it doesn’t ummm yes it does maybe not as much as just restricting, purging or working out

But it sure helped get rid of that obnoxious food weight :)

#22 poisongirl78

poisongirl78

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:44 AM

because I can't crap without them 

dHvhI5Y.jpg

5'9"
cw 139.1lbs
gw1 130bs
gw2 125lbs 
gw3 120lbs 
gw4 115lbs 

5968123.png

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

#23 beingproana

beingproana

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:29 AM

Initially when I started using them 6 years ago I was dumb and naive! I saw the scale go down so drastically after I used them but the weight would be right back on the next time I ate.

Long story short, I still use them after a binge to get rid of the food from my stomach because I can’t stand the thought of all that food sitting in my stomach and my body depends on them! I can’t have a normal bowel movement without them. Steer clear!!!!!!!! (And the pain is absolutely excruciating).
It's only food.

#24 PaleKitten

PaleKitten

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationA Hoarder's Den

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:38 AM

If I've been constipated for a few days I will usually use a glycerin suppository. They are very safe when compared to other laxatives, just make sure you don't use them more than a few times a week, and never more than once in 24 hours. Also they work RIGHT AWAY like give them 10 minutes and you're cleared out. I highly recommend them because you aren't really screwing up your intestines like with other laxatives. I know they don't make me lose weight but they definitely give me literal immediate relief from constipation. 

I actually never considered these to be laxatives but well... Yeah I've "learned" that they are actually laxatives lol (forgive my stupidity). Just a safer version that... goes up your butthole. 

Accountability

Height: 5'3
HW: 115 | SW: 107
CW: 97 (BMI 17.2)
GW2: 96 | GW3: 93 | GW4: 90
UGW: 88
1000-1200 High Restriction 

#25 PaleKitten

PaleKitten

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationA Hoarder's Den

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:39 AM

Initially when I started using them 6 years ago I was dumb and naive! I saw the scale go down so drastically after I used them but the weight would be right back on the next time I ate.

Long story short, I still use them after a binge to get rid of the food from my stomach because I can’t stand the thought of all that food sitting in my stomach and my body depends on them! I can’t have a normal bowel movement without them. Steer clear!!!!!!!! (And the pain is absolutely excruciating).

What kind were you using? From my research glycerin suppositories don't cause such things but basically all other laxatives can in essence be "habit forming" in that it becomes impossible to go without them because of the way it messes with your intestines. 

Accountability

Height: 5'3
HW: 115 | SW: 107
CW: 97 (BMI 17.2)
GW2: 96 | GW3: 93 | GW4: 90
UGW: 88
1000-1200 High Restriction 

#26 Avocadotoast435

Avocadotoast435

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4187 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:59 AM

I used them because I was constipated all the time. Then I started panicking because if I didn't use them there would be food weight and my weigh in wouldn't be accurate. Stopped when I hadn't pooped in 3 weeks and 10 laxatives at the time did not do anything anymore. I think that was 3 or 4 years ago and haven't used them since.

#27 Fadingtotheless

Fadingtotheless

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:10 AM

I use a laxative tea, worked hella wonders until recently and I think I've become used to them, now I'll drink one at night, and instead of it going straight to use It only works after I eat something the next morning. Digestion is looking really messed up so I'll be stopping lol

tumblr_moq9bzKzrX1sw5huto1_400.gif

Why should I apologize for being a monster? Has anyone ever apologized for turning me into one?

tumblr_o10s7vJKWc1tqjhmao1_400.gif
Height 173cm
BMI 14.7

#28 Imtrying27

Imtrying27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:18 AM

I actually have a percricption for some because I have issues going sometimes I get really constipated so my doctor gave me some I don't use them all the time now only if I feel blocked. Otherwise I'd go days without going and it would make me feel anxious when I weighed myself. I don't use them more than once a week tho.

#29 RaeMarie721

RaeMarie721

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:21 AM

I just like knowing that I am 100% empty when I weigh myself.

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk

5'8"

ED Sufferer for 20 years. Bulimia from age 8-21. EDNOS now, diagnosed in 2010 with Bulimia and in 2017 with EDNOS. Atypical Anorexic due to 140 pound weight loss.

#fatfuck

#30 loco

loco

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Locationthe produce aisle

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:47 AM

I take them for 2 reasons. 

1. They make me feel empty - I take them and drink A LOT of water to kind of flush myself out. I hate the idea of there being food inside me. 

2. It's kind of punishment I guess? They are hellish, and make you feel awful (I've fainted a few times from dulcolax) so I take them to kind of punish myself for eating above my plan. 

I don't expect them to help me lose weight, I just don't tend to gain when I use them - and a lot of the time, that's enough to keep me sane.

cute-tiny-cat.gif

I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul.

Currently restricting between 00 - 300 kcal a day.

#31 johntaylor

johntaylor

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:00 AM

I was told by my proctologist to take one if I haven't gone in a couple of days.  The longer you stay blocked up, the higher the chance of cancer or infection.  Because I'm restricting, my bowels don't work right sometimes and I can stay blocked up for a week.  At that point it becomes very uncomfortable.  So, if I haven't gone in 3 or 4 days I take a lax.  I take 3 bisacodyl and it does the trick.  Sometimes I drink dieters tea instead.

HT: 6'7"  HW: 303 LW: 203 GW195 (doctor), UGW: 188 (mid normal bmi)

#32 SugarfreeMuffinTop

SugarfreeMuffinTop

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 1767 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:09 AM

To get rid of food weight, mostly, because I get hella constipated on a regular basis. Only take them at weekends if it's been over a week since I've been to the loo.

Sent from yer mom using Tapatalk

#33 C.S.

C.S.

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:40 AM

Even as a healthy kid I always had constipation issues. One time we had to drive to the emergency room in the middle of the night because it hurt so much. The Eating disorder sometimes makes things worse so I use them before I get too constipated or else it could get a bit dangerous for me (ripping something inside me and such stuff)

#34 GIRLinPROGRESS

GIRLinPROGRESS

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1782 posts
  • LocationHue BR

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:41 AM

I use lax after a binge only to feel empty again. When restricting i just eat a lot of fiber to go naturally.
There was an old person of Dean,

Who dined on one pea, and one bean; 
For he said, 'More than that,
Would make me too fat,'
That cautious old person of Dean.

Edward Lear

3603f0654ebf512f529c392e25f6df48.gif

Height: 5'7 or 171cm

HW: 63kg or 139lbs (BMI 21.8)

LW: 44kg or 97lbs (BMI 15.2)

CW48.6kg or 107lbs (BMI 16.6)

GW: 47kg or 103lbs    (BMI 16.1)

IG: @girlinprogressc

Twt: LilyPad25489332

#35 mini_milly

mini_milly

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:46 AM

I do NOT mean this in a condescending way AT ALL. I’m genuinely curious...back a few years ago I read the whole “use lax to lose weight” myth on some dumb ed site and I used them a few times and it was miserable and I wasn’t really losing so I did some actual research and basically everyone, including a lot of ed sites, admit they don’t work.
But I still see a lot of people on mpa and other places using them so I was wondering, do they work for you? Or is it more to get food out because you don’t like it in you, regardless of weight loss?
Again, I hope this doesn’t come across as rude. I’m sure everyone has their reasons, I just wanted to know if some people would share theirs :)

Thank you for this post! Really was wondering the same thing so the answers have been great

#36 Adrienejames2

Adrienejames2

Advanced Warrior

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:50 PM

I use them so I can have a poo, can't really go without them

#37 saladwhore

saladwhore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNortheast, USA

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:57 PM

I’m always constipated from not eating enough/drinking enough water (despite high fiber diet), so I use them to have a BM if it’s been a week or more. I’ll usually drop a couple pounds after 😯

#38 schwane

schwane

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1592 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:14 PM

i use it as punishment from binging because they cause me a lot of abdominal pain. i also feel lighter after

Spoiler

#39 ヤムフライ。

ヤムフライ。

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:16 PM

i used to abuse them a lot 2 years back for comfort of knowing i didn't weigh as much as i thought i did,  but now i use em for what it's intended for lol

d2zahuw-7ffd99bf-e7a0-47c9-802a-ea484cea

168cm

hw: 160lbs

lw: 114lbs

cw: 126.3lbs

gw1: 135lbs / gw2: 130lbs / gw3: 125lbs / gw4: 120lbs / gw5: 115

ugw: 110 -115lbs

Accountability

#40 oh.wow.lovely...

oh.wow.lovely...

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:45 PM

I just love to have my abdomen feel empty even if I have to go through a couple hours of pain

• leebee likes this

tumblr_mt5cwpMsN71sooqfjo1_500.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users