Diet pills that interfere with birth control - Vitamins, Supplements and Nutrition - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Diet pills that interfere with birth control

diet pills birth control

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Whisperwind

Whisperwind

Advanced Warrior

• Supporter
  • 327 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

OK, I don't know how many of you may or may not be on birth control. I am, actually for health reasons. Even if you count on it for only health reasons, you need to keep in mind there are some natural herbs that can interfere with birth control. It can possibly nullify what you're taking it for, but most of all, you could end up pregnant. Guess where some of these herbs are? Diet pills! If you're on birth control, you'll want to read the label. A couple years back, I had a pregnancy scare when I was taking something with chasteberry while on birth control. Thankfully, I was not pregnant.

http://www.examiner....h-control-pills

There are several sites that can confirm this if you dig, but that's the most comprehensive list I've seen.

AVOID:

Black and Blue Cohosh
Dong Quai
Fennel (food quantity is too small to matter)
Fenugreek
Hops (same disclaimer for beer as fennel)
Licorice
Red clover
Saw palmetto
St. John’s Wort
Vitex (Chasteberry)
Wild Yam

• ances likes this

895_900.jpg

#2 lookforstars

lookforstars

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

what about natural fat metabolisers? they don't have any of the above ingredients in mine but i'm still worried

19732.jpg

giphy.gif

"The enemies gate is down" 

V

V

V

#3 Whisperwind

Whisperwind

Advanced Warrior

• Supporter
  • 327 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

If it doesn't have any of the above ingredients, you should be OK. If you're still worried, there are plenty of drug interaction checkers floating around the internet (try Google) that can tell you. Plug in what you take, any ingredients on the label of your natural fat metaboliser, and it'll tell you if there's a problem. Time consuming, but worth it. If nothing comes back, you're safe.

• lookforstars likes this

895_900.jpg

#4 SullenGirl

SullenGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

Wow. I wouldn't think any of those things would be in diet pills. Except for St. Johns Wort those are all herbs related to hormones and reproductive health. Some of them increase estrogen in the body, some of them increase progesterone.They will interfere with birth control though, so watch out for that. I don't understand why some of them would be in diet pills though considering things like HOPS could make a person gain weight. It just doesn't make sense that they would be in diet pills. There is no need for herbs like that in diet pills. That's lame that they would put them in there. Be careful what you take that interferes with your hormones.

#5 midori

midori

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:04 AM

Thank you so much for posting that!

I have a bit of a tip of my own to add:  I am a laxative fanatic.. and I love my colon cleansing teas...  When you are on laxatives (that includes any kind of colon-cleanse tea with senna leaves), BE SURE TO USE CONDOMS or a secondary form of birth control. Sometimes the laxatives make you pass the contents of your stomach so quickly that your birth control pills are passed out HALF absorbed.

• lillenin likes this

Height: 5'7

8/16/13: 125

8/20/13: 120.9

Goal weight: 100. 

Current method/routine/program: 

Master Cleanse + The Kanten Diet 14 day plan (www.thekantendiet.com) on <300 calories/day. Wish me luck!

**NOTE: I've never tried this Kanten Diet, but it was recommended to me by a friend in Japan. If you've tried it before, please PM me! I have high hopes for it, but I want to know if anyone's had any success with it. Thanks! 

#6 lillenin

lillenin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

not a diet pil, but grapefruit juice can interfere with the pill.

HW: 231 lbs /105 kg (march 2016)

LW: 127 lbs /58 kg 

CW: 179 lbs (jan-17)

CW: 175 - 4 whole lbs since last january. Yay. NOT.

GW: 135 lbs

UGW: 125 lbs

#7 hummingbirdhope

hummingbirdhope

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

OK, I don't know how many of you may or may not be on birth control. I am, actually for health reasons. Even if you count on it for only health reasons, you need to keep in mind there are some natural herbs that can interfere with birth control. It can possibly nullify what you're taking it for, but most of all, you could end up pregnant. Guess where some of these herbs are? Diet pills! If you're on birth control, you'll want to read the label. A couple years back, I had a pregnancy scare when I was taking something with chasteberry while on birth control. Thankfully, I was not pregnant.

http://www.examiner....h-control-pills

There are several sites that can confirm this if you dig, but that's the most comprehensive list I've seen.

AVOID:

Black and Blue Cohosh
Dong Quai
Fennel (food quantity is too small to matter)
Fenugreek
Hops (same disclaimer for beer as fennel)
Licorice
Red clover
Saw palmetto
St. John’s Wort
Vitex (Chasteberry)
Wild Yam

why avoid saw palmetto?

**in recovery** fuck recovery. i want my body back.

Height: 5'5"

HW: 118

LW: 85 (as of november 16th, 2013)

CW: 107-107.5

GW1: 105

UW2: 100

#8 Whisperwind

Whisperwind

Advanced Warrior

• Supporter
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

why avoid saw palmetto?

From a search I just ran, it can decrease the amount of estrogen in the body. Birth control pills often contain estrogen, so I imagine this might render them useless.

895_900.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diet pills, birth control

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users